Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you Boycott the tolled Limerick Tunnel?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Victor wrote: »
    On the contrary, many roads in the USA attract tolls and vehicle registration taxes are often annual. Half the bridges and tolls into Manhattan have tolls.

I stand corrected, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

no matter how many locals boycot it, it will still serve its purpose to take trucks and other commercial traffic off city roads, it will be a success

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

The State cannot afford to build roads, Investors help us to pay in cash instalments known as tolls....

The State cannot afford to build Schools - we simply rent rat-infested, freezing prefabs....

The State cannot afford to build Hospitals, we just utilise the trolley-jammed corridors....

The State cannot afford to pay Nurses, Gardaí or Teachers in sufficient numbers....

- Wow what a State it is that we are in!!!

Some People on here seem to be getting more and more pleased to be in receipt of less and less.

Perhaps ye have been lucky enough to see some evidence of where exactly it is that our tax revenue is being spent, squandered, gambled, or vaulted.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

What's the problem here?

Either use the tunnel or don't.

Even if you don't use it you will still experience the benefit of reduced traffic all over the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Raiser wrote: »
    The State cannot afford to build Schools - we simply rent rat-infested, freezing prefabs....

Untrue - we have PPP schools in the same way that we have PPP roads.

When there's a demand to be serviced, and the goveernment is not necessarily in a position to satisfy the demand completely, then why not get outside investment and companies to invest, provide the facilities and get paid to do so? What's the problem with that?

When you get a loan from a bank to buy something, you pay them back interest - it's exactly the same thing. You can't afford to buy something outright, so you get "outside investment". You get charged interest (plus repayment of the loan) for the privilege of the bank coming in to help you out.

It's how the system works.

• Advertisement

Delphi91 wrote: »

Can you in all honesty tell me that a very significant number of Schoolchildren are not going to return to a Prefab Classroom later this week?

- With temperature lows of -8 or so predicted I'm sure that they'll be asked to keep their jackets on and do vigorous exercises led by the Teacher every hour to warm up - Just like we did in our School back in the 80's

Can't beat progress.

I am not going to criticise anyone on here for having low standards or expectations; Its like a recipe for contentment and I wish you all the very best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Can you in all honesty tell me that a very significant number of Schoolchildren are not going to return to a Prefab Classroom later this week?

- With temperature lows of -8 or so predicted I'm sure that they'll be asked to keep their jackets on and do vigorous exercises led by the Teacher every hour to warm up - Just like we did in our School back in the 80's

Can't beat progress.

I am not going to criticise anyone on here for having low standards or expectations; Its like a recipe for contentment and I wish you all the very best of luck.

Raiser, i had prefabs in my school back between 95 and 2001, and they were the warmest classrooms in the school, having been purpose build, with insulation and heating which were more modern than the radiators in the school proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

foinse wrote: »
    Raiser, i had prefabs in my school back between 95 and 2001, and they were the warmest classrooms in the school, having been purpose build, with insulation and heating which were more modern than the radiators in the school proper.

Ditto, the prefabs in LIT are like sauna's while the rest of the college is decidedly cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

surely paying for an untolled road would reduce the governments ability to replace prefabs. Fair play to them for prioritising our childrens welfare above the ease of travel for commercial traffic. Plus all those nasty big vehicles off the school roads, thats got to be good news eh? :pac:

Can you in all honesty tell me that a very significant number of Schoolchildren are not going to return to a Prefab Classroom later this week?...

I never said that there weren't prefabs in schools - there are. The point that I was making is that an ever-increasing number of new schools sanctioned by the DES are now PPP schools.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

jackncoke wrote: »
    Handy map for anyone interested in how this is gonna work

http://www.limericktunnel.com/RouteMapInteractive.html

Pretty ridiculous option for "Dublin to City Centre" on that!!!

About 10 miles out of the way and adding to an already ridiculously-congested Dock Road!

Also, I still can't figure out why there isn't a spur lane from the Cork-Kerry road to Childers' Rd......it could easily merge from the 270-degree roundabout to the slip road from the eastbound ring-road.....

I never said that there weren't prefabs in schools - there are. The point that I was making is that an ever-increasing number of new schools sanctioned by the DES are now PPP schools.

Whats "untrue" and wholly disingenuous is to dismiss the daily, widespread and massively ridiculous reality that in 1900's Ireland Schools were built from bricks and mortar and had little fireplaces while today they are comprised of 15 aluminium tissue-box shaped pods that are rented annually from Business People.
    =Delphi91 wrote:
    When there's a demand to be serviced, and the government is not necessarily in a position to satisfy the demand completely, then why not get outside investment and companies to invest, provide the facilities and get paid to do so? What's the problem with that?

Fine - well if our sad excuse for a "Government" are NOT going to provide ANY Public services, infrastructural development or pay vital Public Servants then they should stop collecting taxes - because right now its very unclear what it is Fianna Fail are doing with our all of our tax money at this point in time??????

Unless you count supporting NAMA in order to keep the Bank Chiefs from revealing the true grip they have over Dail Eireann on debts owed and scandals left unsung.......

What's the latest figure to be trotted out for NAMA? If you take it at €60,000,000,000 its still €6,000,000,000 in excess of our National Debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

concussion wrote: »
    Ditto, the prefabs in LIT are like sauna's while the rest of the college is decidedly cold.

Do they still have those??:eek: Thought they would have got rid of those years ago.

They do, nothing wrong with them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Maybe but I remember some of them used to leak.

If they did, it was never any I was in! Perhaps they're newer ones, or I've just been lucky so far :D

They do, nothing wrong with them either.

I remember standing in the one they had the pool tables in a few years back and watching a steady stream of rainwater dripping onto an electric heater.....

- Watched from a distance - but yah; Prefabs are fine :rolleyes:

Not going to bother with replying to any more of the "My standards are so low that I've learned to become proud of them statements"

Not going to bother with replying to any more of the "My standards are so low that I've learned to become proud of them statements"

Maybe you should read what I said again
    If they did, it was never any I was in! Perhaps they're newer ones, or I've just been lucky so far :D

Modern prefabs, as Foinse noted, are a huge step above the rat infested, wet, cold, broken-floored ones I was taught in ---- 15 years ago.

phog wrote: »
    Well at least there's a bus route on this road unlike the Condell Rd.

Expressway services use the Condell Road - 51 & 55 for instance.

Whats "untrue" and wholly disingenuous is to dismiss the daily, widespread and massively ridiculous reality that in 1900's Ireland Schools were built from bricks and mortar and had little fireplaces while today they are comprised of 15 aluminium tissue-box shaped pods that are rented annually from Business People.

Yes, they may have had fireplaces, but my parents often told of the fact that THEY were the ones who provided the fuel for those fires!

Today's new schools are made from bricks and mortar - I am lucky enough to work in one of those new buildings and it is a far cry from the one that was originally on the site - which I might add was built from wood and fibreglass back in the late 1970's.

I still stand by my original correction of your statement that

Have a look here:http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/projects_proceeding_tender_2009_2010.doc. Over half of the projects are new schools.

Advertisement