Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of people with tattoos?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭littleman

I would never get one myself because there is no tattoo I could get that I know I would still like in maybe 40 years time...I dont really see the point in getting a random tattoo on your arm etc. because you could hate it in a few years time...

I try not to have a negative opinion of people with tattooes but sometimes when I see an ugly tattoo in a really obvious part of a persons body I do wonder what type of a person they are.

how would you know weather you like it or not if you dont get it done and for random tattoos,some can turn out really great,i got a skull and crossbones on the back of my neck after walking into a tattoo shop and 35mins later i walked out wit a tattoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

littleman wrote: »
    So ur saying you'd rather see ppl around with the same tattoo cause thats what a fashionable tattoo is,most tramp stamps arent to do with placement,ive seen ppl with playboy bunny tattoos on there lower back just cause they seen girls of the playboy mansion have them,

I'd rather mind my own business tbh, I really couldn't care less what people get tattooed on themselves, yeah sure I'll have an opinion on whether or not I like a tattoo but that's irrelevant to the person with the tat.

My point to you is it's bizarre to dislike all lower back tattoos and label them 'tramp stamps' when some lower back tattoos are beautiful. The back is often used as a canvas cos it's a large area.

You also seem to be contradicting yourself by telling me 'tramp stamps' are lower back tattoos, and then also saying these 'tramp stamps' aren't to do with placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

how would you know weather you like it or not if you dont get it done and for random tattoos,some can turn out really great,i got a skull and crossbones on the back of my neck after walking into a tattoo shop and 35mins later i walked out wit a tattoo

Well all im saying is its a bit of a risk getting a tattoo and then figuring out if you like or not...fair enough you walked into a tattoo parlour; picked a tattoo and you really like it, but maybe the novelty will ware off and you wont like it in a month and what will you do then. For example you could here a song and really like it the first time you hear it; but after a few weeks your sick of it.

Well all im saying is its a bit of a risk getting a tattoo and then figuring out if you like or not...fair enough you walked into a tattoo parlour; picked a tattoo and you really like it, but maybe the novelty will ware off and you wont like it in a month and what will you do then. For example you could here a song and really like it the first time you hear it; but after a few weeks your sick of it.

That tattoo ive got over a year now nd i still love it,my last tattoo i got done was only 2weeks ago,i no a guy who has his tattoos for over 30 years nd he still loves dem all

dearg lady wrote: »
    I'd rather mind my own business tbh, I really couldn't care less what people get tattooed on themselves, yeah sure I'll have an opinion on whether or not I like a tattoo but that's irrelevant to the person with the tat.

My point to you is it's bizarre to dislike all lower back tattoos and label them 'tramp stamps' when some lower back tattoos are beautiful. The back is often used as a canvas cos it's a large area.

You also seem to be contradicting yourself by telling me 'tramp stamps' are lower back tattoos, and then also saying these 'tramp stamps' aren't to do with placement.

Another reason there called tramp stamps is cause some ppl would class it as a sexual thing,which ill let you think why its to do with that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I love tattoos and piercings. Ive had a bit of a fascination with them since i was a kid. I love seeing peoples tattoos and hearing the story behind them (if its not too personal). I have 7 myself, mostly smallish ones and all are easy enough to hide, but i do like showing them off :) My mam really dislikes them so i keep the bigger ones covered when im in her company, just so she wont moan too much when i get a new one. I can understand why she doesnt like them, or why anyone else doesnt, but each to their own!!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Another reason there called tramp stamps is cause some ppl would class it as a sexual thing,which ill let you think why its to do with that

This explains most accurately the root of the nickname I think.

Although they've become 'tramp stamps' and might make guys/girls think a certain way when they see one on a girl, I don't think many girls ever went into a tattoo artist and said 'put a bunny above my ass... it makes me h0rny'.

And if they did I'm sure they're the exception and not the norm. They chose their tattoo because they liked it or maybe they chose it for fashion. Who cares and who can judge?!

They're sexualised by the viewer, not the owner.

If I liked half sleeves on guys, does that mean I should make up some derogatory name for them purely cos it makes me think...stuff? :p

jenga-jen wrote: »
    This explains most accurately the root of the nickname I think.

Although they've become 'tramp stamps' and might make guys/girls think a certain way when they see one on a girl, I don't think many girls ever went into a tattoo artist and said 'put a bunny above my ass... it makes me h0rny'.

And if they did I'm sure they're the exception and not the norm. They chose their tattoo because they liked it or maybe they chose it for fashion. Who cares and who can judge?!

They're sexualised by the viewer, not the owner.

If I liked half sleeves on guys, does that mean I should make up some derogatory name for them purely cos it makes me think...stuff? :p

Thats a fair way to explain it alright,its just a name that has been put on it

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

I think tattoos like great on a girls lower back. I've always been a big fan of tattoos. Two done to date and alot more on the way!!

"Show me a man with a tattoo and I'll show you a man with a interesting past" ~ Jack London

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

Several previous posters have discussed this and I too have several tattoos on various parts of my body but can cover them relativly easily (Worked for a long time in a 'respectable' establishment) and I'm amazed at how amazed people are when they see me out of my work clothes and catch a glimpse of one under a tshirt sleeve or whatever.
    Firstly, most don't ask to see the tattoo they simply slide up your sleeve and stare (Happen to anyone else? Maybe I just make people feel too comfortable with me).
    Secondly, always the same question, "You have any more?" Depending on what mood I'm in/If I like them/Feel like flaunting my body/etc. I may show them any number of my other tattoos.
    Finally, I generally get the same comment from most, "You really don't look like you'd have tattooes/that many tattoos" What exactly I'm supposed to look like I'm never told.
    I'm at the point where I don't bother showing them to other people who don't have tattoos, even when my mates attempt to parade me to people like a circus attraction, unless we've been talking previously and the person says they're thinking of getting a tattoo themselves.
    Frankly, I think this far into the 21st century people should have become more accepting both socially and professionally of the body modification in any form and realise it's done by people of all types. Peoples personal tastes will obviously differ but there is no need to think some someone has a low IQ or criminal record based on some body art. There are many people who I look at and think I really don't like your face, but I'm willing to give them a chance to prove they're good people, even if I know I'll never like their face.

EDIT: This started out as a much more concise post in my head, apologise for going off on a little rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Some good points there. I know for me I can be a quiet person and when people hear I have tattoos they always say you're not the type of person to have tattoos or they expect a cross with "RIP Anto" bcause I'm a youngfella.

As regards people with tattoos I maybe see them as more broadminded person who's open to more things and not afraid to do stuff. I'm not mad about people who are straight laced and don't do anything out of the ordinary. Because ordinary is boring and not fun. You've only one life and if you choose to spend it getting stuff drawn on you then that's your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 taxi wife

I like people looking at my tattoo, the more the better i say. Its on my upper back so i luv the look of shock when people see it for the first time as for the most part i look conservative. It does mean a lot to me and i didn't get it to hide it or be ashamed of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I am a 28 year old tattooist, and I have no tattoos below my elbows. When I see people with tattooed hands/front or side of the neck who look under 30, I think "nice move, bonehead", and that includes my fellow tattooists...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

hot2def wrote: »
    I am a 28 year old tattooist, and I have no tattoos below my elbows. When I see people with tattooed hands/front or side of the neck who look under 30, I think "nice move, bonehead", and that includes my fellow tattooists...

Same opinion here but in saying that I was reading some book a while back and there was an opinion among artists that when they get a highly visible tattoo ie. neck,face,hands etc thats it there in the industry for life.Bit stupid in my opinion since anything could happen to your hands,your sight etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Dangerdunf wrote: »
    I think tattoos like great on a girls lower back. I've always been a big fan of tattoos. Two done to date and alot more on the way!!

"Show me a man with a tattoo and I'll show you a man with a interesting past" ~ Jack London

You... like tramp stamps...?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

hot2def wrote: »

I know where you're coming from but I lament the fact that in this day and age people still have to consider this kind of thing when they get a tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

AARRRGH wrote: »
    You... like tramp stamps...?! :eek:

I like lower back tattoos too, same as any other location, so long as the artwork is good!

This is the main thing I hate about tattoos, that people have a horrible habit of looking down on others that have a 'common' or popular tattoo done (tribal, kanji, stars etc...) then preach about people needing to be more open minded. Nice double standard there!

I love guys with tattoos. But only guys with good tattoos. I think alot of people are the same. I wouldn't be into a liverpool crest on someones chest for example (could be to do with the fact that I don't like liverpool :pac:)

I think the difference for me is the difference between Art & Pictures. The former is obviously something that thought and time has been put into. The latter is something you get for the sake of getting a tattoo.

I have one or two sh*tty tattoos unfortunately :( but also a couple of really good ones. I've only ever had positive reactions to mine (apart from my mother in law :rolleyes:), especially the most recent one.

Unfortunately I have to completely cover mine for work which is a pain but I love having them out (the visible ones) at the weekend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭RustyBeanTin

I love guys with tattoos. But only guys with good tattoos. I think alot of people are the same. I wouldn't be into a liverpool crest on someones chest for example
    my mate got a man utd crest tattooed on his upper arm, i think them kind of tattoo's look ridiculous lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

This is the main thing I hate about tattoos, that people have a horrible habit of looking down on others that have a 'common' or popular tattoo done (tribal, kanji, stars etc...) then preach about people needing to be more open minded. Nice double standard there!

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭NikNakOoo

Couldn't agree more! I'm amazed at how many elitists people there are out there... the only opinion that matters really is the person with the tattoo, if it makes them happy then good for them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

I like lower back tattoos too, same as any other location, so long as the artwork is good!

I agree! I've had comments about "following the crowd" because I have some star tattoos! Except that I designed or had imput into the design of all my tattoos!! And I have chineese and japaneese writing! Don't care what people think to be honest!!

I'm a fan a tattoos on others! My family all hate them and do say things like "she's herself ruined" even my little sis says it to me.... And she has a tattoo!!
    The only thing I don't like is amy winehouse stuff on arms!! Sleeves are ok on girls (pesonally I wouldn't get one cause it's not for me) but I don't like the few random ones all over arms!
    Each to their own tho! I would never judge someone based on the ink they have or don't have as the case may be!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

rodberg007 wrote: »
    Ok but what do men think of girls when they see them with a tattoo on their back or ankle.............????

it's amazing how many people will tell me they love my ankle tattoo (which goes half way up my calf, and halfway round the inside of my ankle/shin), and as the conversation turns to tattoos in general, will mention how they hate girls with tattoos (*cough* hello! in front of you!) especially anything bigger than a small butterfly, or to that general effect.

Molberts wrote: »
    Have been debating a half sleeve for a while but the thing stopping me is am I really arsed with having to deal with peoples attitudes? Like do I want it enough to have to deal with stares etc :rolleyes: The joys of living in Ireland eh :pac:

that's one thing i absolutely love about working in new zealand, it's one of the most (if not the most) tattoo'd countries in the world, and they're really quite commonplace and generally socially accepted. even among older generations, a surprising (imo) amount of 50-70 year olds have ink on their ankle/wrist/forearm that you just simply wouldnt see in ireland.

though im (finally!) getting my halfish sleeve in about three weeks time, so ill let ya know if people start treating me differently once that's happened. (im so scared about this one! :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ChemOC

I don't judge people because they have a tattoo. It depends on the tattoo. If you see a guy with "Eire 32" on his arm I shall be making a few assumptions about him.

I think Maori tattoos look sweet. But I know a few people with tattoos that look awful or that can be misinterpreted. A mate of mine has "Gregory" tattooed on the inside of his upper leg. It looks like he got his lover's name tattooed there, but it's his dead grandfather's name. I think it's a bit weird to have that tattooed quite so close to your penis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Maybe he didn't want it on show so people would ask him if it was hois lovers name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

I dont think people judge me me having tattoo's. I have 3 which can be easily covered or easily shown. I cover them up in work but when Im out I like showing them off. They are really nice.

When They are on show and you meet people from work, they always seem surprised more then anything else. Ive only ever had good comments.

My mam and dad werent best pleased but they got over it. I just dont rub it in their faces when I get a new one.

I also like looking at other peoples tattoo's. Some people have these amazing pieces on them like back pieces etc.

As regards "tramp stamps". I have a tattoo on my lower back but I wouldnt regard it as that. Its a really nice piece. And its unusual and its mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I'm always amazed at attitudes to tattoos on girls lower backs. I had my first one done there 3 years ago & the main reason was it was a personal thing for me & I didn't want to show it off really so it's nice & hidden but I know it's there. I got 2 more done just last year below and either side of my first one & again it creates a symbolism that means a lot. Hate the term "tramp stamps" - judging people solely based on where they have their tattoos...classy.

My parents weren't thrilled when I went to get my first one done but admitted afterwards that it looked nice. Even got my dad into watching Miami Ink to show him how artful they could be (he was very into art).

I always get surprised looks when people realise I have tattoos coz I "don't look the type" but I love them!

Advertisement