Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of people with tattoos?

Options
  • 30-12-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hello everyone
    I just thought id bring this topic up
    recently ive started work on getting my sleeve on my left arm and things are coming along nicely, but my mother hates tattoo's and i made me wonder that perhaps not all people see them as i do.
    what are your opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You're probably asking the wrong crowd, as 99% of the people reading this forum have an interest in tattoos and/or piercings, so are most likely going to be in favour of tattoos, and wish that the 'rest' were a little more open to tattoos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

The only difference people with tattoos have to people without tattoos is exactly that, one person has them, the other doesnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭rodberg007

Ok but what do men think of girls when they see them with a tattoo on their back or ankle.............????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Usually "cool tattoo" or "sh¡t tattoo" (in my head)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Me too, Will.

OP, sounds like youre trying to find the prejudice in us. As Damo said, youre asking the wrong crowd. If you want people to say nasty things about tattoos or the people wearing them, here's not the place to find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

I hate tattoos, don't see the point in them, but I don't form opinions on someone by the fact that they have or do not have tattoos.

Tattoos as i understand are a very personal thing to most people with tattoos, sure some have them just because they got drunk or all their friends had them, but for most the tattoos mean something or relate to something in their lives, again this is as i understand it, may be wrong.

My partner has 8 of them and my 19 year old daughter has 2, including a washing machine lol, yeah I know but it has meaning to her.

So my thing is, do what feels right to you and no one else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I hate tramp stamps. In fact, when I see a girl with a tramp stamp I assume she has a low IQ...

But girls who are covered in tattoos or have a lot of tattoos, mmmmmm sexy!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

TirNaNog. wrote: »
    so your daughters father is a washing machine
    How amusing.

How did you come to that conclusion :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I hate tramp stamps. In fact, when I see a girl with a tramp stamp I assume she has a low IQ...

But girls who are covered in tattoos or have a lot of tattoos, mmmmmm sexy!

+1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

I find that now I've a decent covering of tattoos, I find people's attitude towards me has changed, especially the way I'm looked at. I have mine placed so that I can hide all of them if I choose to, so it's fun to see the change when I walk around covered or with some showing!

It doesn't phase me tho, I love them, don't care what other people think.

My poor mother, she keeps saying no more! Her opinion is, she loves the images but would prefer them on a piece of paper than on my skin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Ugh! I have a tramp stamp and a "fashionable" wrist tattoo. And far from a low IQ.

My poor mother, she keeps saying no more! Her opinion is, she loves the images but would prefer them on a piece of paper than on my skin!

Ha, thats what my mam keeps saying.

Your phoenix is far from a tramp stamp, didn't know you've your wrists done o.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

I have 5 tattoos but can cover them or show them off if I wish, I was recently at a wedding and had them all covered up, I felt that all the attention should have been on the bride and groom and having them on show would have attracted attention onto me.

If im in a situation where I'm not obligated to please anyone else (not in work, at a wedding etc) they're all on show, septum ring and biggest tunnels out to play too :)

Have been debating a half sleeve for a while but the thing stopping me is am I really arsed with having to deal with peoples attitudes? Like do I want it enough to have to deal with stares etc :rolleyes: The joys of living in Ireland eh :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Will wrote: »
    Your phoenix is far from a tramp stamp, didn't know you've your wrists done o.0

Well it was a tramp stamp :p

Ive got one wrist one. Just Ali's name!

I think people stare everywhere Molberts, it's out of the ordinary what we have done i suppose and people just like to look.

Used to think when I was very small that people with tattoos and piercings were dodgy enough, but now I'm one and while I'm far from dodgy pretty sure people make judgement calls right off the bat

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

People do it all the time, but it's to be expected to be honest!

I don't think anyone with tattoos would be surprised that there are still people out there that see them as something that only 'scumbags' get done.

My dad likes my chest piece, but is always saying I'm not to get more, and doesn't know why I waste my money on them. I say to him that he's bought paintings before that were pricey enough, I'm simply paying for art that I can take everywhere with me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rocky77

I got one recently on my upper left arm, it comes half ways down my bicep. It's perfect for me cos it doesn't show at work even when I'm wearing t-shirts. I have no reason to believe that I can't show it off at work but I work in the media and I can't be certain about just how it will go down. There's always going to be one conservative type who will object.

When I'm out I can wear shorter sleeve t-shirts and it gets a bit of attention.

The acid test, i.e. my parents, really like it and I was certain they'd hate it not being what you'd call tattoo fans, so happy days....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cakes

>_<

This whole 'tramp stamp' tag... Does it seem a little, dare I say, hypocritical to object that people judge a person on their tattoos and yet, as a community, pour scorn on lower back tattoos!?

Surely you get a tattoo because it has meaning to you and the position of it is based purely on aesthetics/preference/logistics due to the design and that, as a result, occasionally this does result in people using their lower back?

[and yes, I have one there :P ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

cakes wrote: »
    >_<

This whole 'tramp stamp' tag... Does it seem a little, dare I say, hypocritical to object that people judge a person on their tattoos and yet, as a community, pour scorn on lower back tattoos!?

Surely you get a tattoo because it has meaning to you and the position of it is based purely on aesthetics/preference/logistics due to the design and that, as a result, occasionally this does result in people using their lower back?

[and yes, I have one there :P ]

Yeah, I'm now slightly confused as to what constitutes a 'tramp stamp'? Maybe someone could enlighten me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭littleman

dearg lady wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm now slightly confused as to what constitutes a 'tramp stamp'? Maybe someone could enlighten me :)

Its a tattoo that is placed on someones lower back just above there waist line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I don't have any tattoos. But if I see someone with a tattoo, I must admit a i might stare, cos I think they're cool and really interesting. I always wonder why the person wearing them choose the image and is there some kind of story behind their tattoo. So if you see us randomers staring it could be in awe.

I love the ideas of tattoos and when I meet people with tattoos I generally think "wow that person has dared to go somewhere that I probably won't ever go"

The main reason I wouldn't have got one in the past is because I've never quite found an image that I think I'd be happy with for the rest of my life. As well my mum is pretty conservative and I just thought 'life's too short to be getting into rows with my mother over stuff like this'

littleman wrote: »
    Its a tattoo that is placed on someones lower back just above there waist line

and some people hate these tattoos irrelevant of what it is just cos of where it's placed? Seems odd. I judge each tattoo on its own merits, some I like, some I don't, some I personally wouldn't get but I think are impressive. Placement can be important in terms of a certain size/shape tattoo may look better in one place than another. But to prejudge all tattoos on the lower back seems a bit silly to me.

and some people hate these tattoos irrelevant of what it is just cos of where it's placed? Seems odd. I judge each tattoo on its own merits, some I like, some I don't, some I personally wouldn't get but I think are impressive. Placement can be important in terms of a certain size/shape tattoo may look better in one place than another. But to prejudge all tattoos on the lower back seems a bit silly to me.

But if you look at some of the "tramp stamp" tats,some of the and i mean some of them just look so sh1t and who think why did they get them there and some people just got them there cause they were the fashion thing to get like stars are at the moment.

littleman wrote: »
    But if you look at some of the "tramp stamp" tats,some of the and i mean some of them just look so sh1t and who think why did they get them there and some people just got them there cause they were the fashion thing to get like stars are at the moment.

well if it's sh*t fine, but that's more to do with the design than placement. What's so wrong with something being in fashion anyway?? ;)

well if it's sh*t fine, but that's more to do with the design than placement. What's so wrong with something being in fashion anyway?? ;)

So ur saying you'd rather see ppl around with the same tattoo cause thats what a fashionable tattoo is,most tramp stamps arent to do with placement,ive seen ppl with playboy bunny tattoos on there lower back just cause they seen girls of the playboy mansion have them,

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I have zero tattoos but for some reason everyonewho meets me assumes I do.

Personally I don't feel strongly one way or the other on them in general, they'd certainly never be a deal breaker (unless, for example, it was of a spider's web on the face :D)

I have zero tattoos but for some reason everyonewho meets me assumes I do.

Personally I don't feel strongly one way or the other on them in general, they'd certainly never be a deal breaker (unless, for example, it was of a spider's web on the face :D)

How do they think you have ink done????

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

rodberg007 wrote: »
    Ok but what do men think of girls when they see them with a tattoo on their back or ankle.............????

When I see a tat on a chicks lower back, I think "Tramp Stamp" :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Tattoos aren't my thing. If I see someone with a tattoo, and its some cliche thing, then I generally think its a bit ****. If a tattoo is cool, I can appreciate it as that.

I don't like the look of tattoos that people get all over their body, but thats up to each person, and I'm not one to assume anything about a person on the basis of them having a tattoo. Is there something that applies equally to all who don't have tattoos? No. Same applies to the reverse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

I would never get one myself because there is no tattoo I could get that I know I would still like in maybe 40 years time...I dont really see the point in getting a random tattoo on your arm etc. because you could hate it in a few years time...

I try not to have a negative opinion of people with tattooes but sometimes when I see an ugly tattoo in a really obvious part of a persons body I do wonder what type of a person they are.

Advertisement