Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Puma advice

Options
  • 30-12-2009 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Hi

Switching my car at some stage during the year - whenever I get the cash up really!

I'm looking at a Ford Puma - around 01. On carzone the average price seems to be about 3500.

Anyone have any advice on them? I've heard that they're pretty good, but if there are any owners/ex-owners that have any advice it would be appreciated!!

thanks
    P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Get the 1.7 Racing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

thats actually the one I was looking at!!

Would have to inquire about insurance first tho

26 f 4years no claims, full licence :)

Dublin 22 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will not buy a Racing Puma for €3500 though.

Initially the Puma came in 1.4 litre and 1.7 litre and later 1.6 litre, fun to drive, parts and servicing are cheap as it is based heavily on the Fiesta.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You will not buy a Racing Puma for €3500 though.

Initially the Puma came in 1.4 litre and 1.7 litre and later 1.6 litre, fun to drive, parts and servicing are cheap as it is based heavily on the Fiesta.

Okay well maybe I'm confused about it being racing, but it was a 1.7.

I wouldn't actually want a racing one anyway, the bf would, but its not about him anyway.

But like all cars, it must have bad points...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Based on the Festhy of the same era so parts are cheap. Slick gear change, nice handling, rubbish headlights. Oh and the A-pillar is seriously low. I still remember pain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭elleburp

I bought my Puma in 2004, it has never give me any trouble. There was only one previous owner before me and the only thing I have to say is it has a wonky wing mirror so it always has trouble getting through the NCT first time around. This is from a passer-by pushing my wingmirrors in one night, when they aren't supposed to be moved! Anyway, it's 1.4 Petrol, yr 2000, silver and I'd sell it to ye cos I want to buy a Vespa.

The mechanic told me I'd have to get the timing belt replaced around the 10 year mark (now!) which he assured me was standard for all Ford's like this one. So that'll be happening along with the NCT in Jan....

JHMEG wrote: »
    the A-pillar is seriously low. I still remember pain!

I've tried to google this - but could I have it explained to me a bit please?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

drive it....off a cliff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Lovely cars, I'd prefer a Cougar though, they're even better looking.

elleburp wrote: »
    I bought my Puma in 2004, it has never give me any trouble. There was only one previous owner before me and the only thing I have to say is it has a wonky wing mirror so it always has trouble getting through the NCT first time around. This is from a passer-by pushing my wingmirrors in one night, when they aren't supposed to be moved! Anyway, it's 1.4 Petrol, yr 2000, silver and I'd sell it to ye cos I want to buy a Vespa.

The mechanic told me I'd have to get the timing belt replaced around the 10 year mark (now!) which he assured me was standard for all Ford's like this one. So that'll be happening along with the NCT in Jan....

Well thanks a lot for the information and thanks also for the offer.

However girly it might sound I really have my heart set on a black one. I wanted my colt black but settled for a dark green. But I never stopped wanting for a black one, so this time round I'll have to go for black! Plus, trying to do this without the help of the banks so it could be sep/oct of 2010 by the time I'm ready to buy

• Advertisement

peanuthead wrote: »
    I've tried to google this - but could I have it explained to me a bit please?

cheers

The A-pillar (between windscreen and door) is low. I'm not tall. Yet I managed to whack my head off it every time I got out of the car. Puma is the only car I ever had this problem in.

mink_man wrote: »
    drive it....off a cliff!

explain?

The A-pillar (between windscreen and door) is low. I'm not tall. Yet I managed to whack my head off it every time I got out of the car. Puma is the only car I ever had this problem in.

Thats what I was thinking you meant, but I was too embarrassed to say in case I was way off. I'm 5ft 5 so I should have no problems unless it's extremely low. Bf not much taller either!! :)

Thats what I was thinking you meant, but I was too embarrassed to say in case I was way off. I'm 5ft 5 so I should have no problems unless it's extremely low. Bf not much taller either!! :)

After a couple of days of whacking your head you'd probably train yourself out of it anyway...

After a couple of days of whacking your head you'd probably train yourself out of it anyway...

Ha!! Well I will test drive plenty and you see this time round I'm in no desperate need for a car because I have one.

It's terrible looking for your first - you'll take anything once it gets you out on the road! But I've plenty of time to think this one through.

I'm even open to persuasion on the model - I want something that looks nice, my idea of looking nice would be the following cars:

mitsubishi colt (not new model)
    ford puma
    hyundai coupe (v. common on the roads now)
    opel tigra (although I've heard a lot of horror stories)
    toyota celica (I feel they have a bit of a 'skanger' label attached though)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1.7 is the best engine. Fun little cars. Not expensive to run. Try to get one with a/c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

A friend of mine has a mint 00 Puma coming in in January. I know this because I have it traded to him. The car is mint in silver. If its any use to you then contact http://www.rathcoolemotorcompany.ie/ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

They're alright cars, but I could never get over the feeling that it was a more cramped and expensive Fiesta.
    It might have just been the one I was in but the trim was very rattly and wasn't aging well. The mileage was around 100k so that obviously contributed.

As mentioned above the 1.7 engine and the gear change are good.

Thanks guys

Thanks Saab, but as mentioned before, I'll be holding out for a black one!!

Cramped seems to be the buzzword connected to these cars. Was looking around the colt today and I was thinking about whether or not I would feel comfortable or not with less head space, even though I don't really use it.

I'm short enough, and have to be close enough to the pedals as it is with my short legs. Wonder what that would look like in a Puma.

How do they hold up in a crash test, couldn't really find one on youtube, but from what I did see they look like they crumble.

EDIT: Just looked at a few more and not so bad. Depends what you're hitting I suppose :) Not that I plan on hitting anything btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

I'm short enough, and have to be close enough to the pedals as it is with my short legs. Wonder what that would look like in a Puma.

I'm 6 foot so I occasionally have trouble with smaller cars. You should be grand :)
    How do they hold up in a crash test, couldn't really find one on youtube, but from what I did see they look like they crumble

The Fiesta it's based on is a 3 star car, not bad, not great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

elleburp wrote: »
    The mechanic told me I'd have to get the timing belt replaced around the 10 year mark (now!) which he assured me was standard for all Ford's like this one.
    That's correct for Zetec-SE engines (all the ones in the Puma) - 100,000 miles or 10 years is the interval for timing belt changes.
    Cramped seems to be the buzzword connected to these cars. Was looking around the colt today and I was thinking about whether or not I would feel comfortable or not with less head space, even though I don't really use it.
    The old Colts are pretty cramped cars too. I think rear passenger space is the worst part with the Puma, not like the Fiesta was bad enough!
    How do they hold up in a crash test, couldn't really find one on youtube, but from what I did see they look like they crumble.

Crumple zones are there to absorb energy away from the passenger compartment, so it is not necessarily a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daftd

mink_man wrote: »
    drive it....off a cliff!

Down with this sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Just checking on the cost of insurance for this one.

FBD 700 odd euro, fully comp (dont know the excess)
    No Nonsense 471 fully comp (250 excess) or 497 with windscreen cover.

Now I've a few quesstions about this: Why would I want windscreen cover if I'm fully comp? Is that not automatically part of the 'fully comp' package?

I thought FBD and No Nonsense were the same company - so why the huge difference in quotes.

Online quotes by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

How do they hold up in a crash test, couldn't really find one on youtube, but from what I did see they look like they crumble

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/ford/puma-1997.aspx?Page=4

doesnt give much info, but doesnt sound the best really.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Policies vary, don't assume fully comp includes windscreen cover. Insurance companies are like Ryan Air, the base price is low to get you hooked but then add on certain features and the price climbs.

BTW Nononscense Insurance are FBD by another name.

Why would I want windscreen cover if I'm fully comp?
    One affects your NCB the other doesn't.

FTO has a helpful owners forum in Ireland. colm_mcm on here is the man to talk to. Fair difference between the FTO and a Puma/Tigra tho.

One affects your NCB the other doesn't.

FTO has a helpful owners forum in Ireland. colm_mcm on here is the man to talk to. Fair difference between the FTO and a Puma/Tigra tho.

FTO is too performance for me (even though many would prob argue its not perf at all)

I'm not actually looking for the racing model of the puma either, I got mixed up at the start of the thread.

There are several black Pumas for sale, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.7. You shouldn't be stuck for choice anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

We have a '98 Puma 1.7 sitting in storage. Only 50k on the clock, so we're keeping it til the kids get older and we can go back to use it then. A free car essentially.

What a cracker to drive though. Love it. Nippy, handles great and has never given us trouble.

Advertisement