Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weimaraner pup

Options
  • 29-12-2009 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Looking to get a Weimaraner pup if anyone knows of any good ones coming up in the next while, peferably a bitch. Please put me in touch with them, thanks a million.

Seoirse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MistyTrigger

Hi Seoirse,

I have just bred a beautiful litter of Weim's and they will be ready to go to new homes at the end of Feb. The ad will be on donedeal.ie this week.
    They will be 4wks tomorrow and are thriving. I have started to wean and potty train them to make things easier for their new parents.
    They come from Champ bloodlines and will have the following:
    • Tails docked
    • IKC reg
    • Micro chipped
    • Wormed and Vac
    • Both parents are our pets and can be seen (their Daddy is very good with them!)
    • All documentation and advise,
    • Blanket and wubba
    I would recommend that you read up on this breed before buying and I would welcome a call if you are really interested @ 0879030935.

Regards,

Andrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭91hilux

Mate of mine has one f/male left
    beautiful and from top class hunting parents p.b with all the trims/PM me for his number

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

dont do it man ,

More About Weimaraners - Good & Bad
    GOOD POINTS
    1.they do shed.
    2 THEY ARE ALSO NOTORIOUS FOR BEING RECREATIONAL BARKERS.
    3. (They can be too rambunctious for small children.)
    4.They are excellent companions for jogging or long walks. THIS BREED MUST HAVE A LOT OF EXERCISE. THEY ARE, AFTER ALL, BRED FOR HUNTING. (LONG TIME AGO)
    5.They are very curious and always in the way,THEy must be indoor pets;
    6. long-lived breed of dog. The average life span is 10 to 12 years. so you are stuck with the gob****e
    7.They are very playful and will create games to play with you, being a fecking nucience all of the time
    8.They are very sensitive to your moods and want to be touching you whenever possible. Do you realy need another wife
    9.SOME are good hunting dogs. (VERY FEW)
    10.Most like to retrieve and carry things.(EXCEPT GAME IN HEAVY COVER)

BAD POINTS
    1.They can be very destructive if not trained and supervised and many are chewers until they reach maturity.(WHICH IS NEVER) Some will always chew.
    2.They will eat anything - pantyhose, lava rocks, sofas, pillows, woodwork, wallboard, hot tub covers, etc.
    3.They can be difficult to housebreak.
    4.As a result of the above three traits, a crate (wire or plastic) is a MUST with this breed. If you can't stand to crate a dog, please don't buy a Weimaraner.
    5.They can be STUBBORN and HARD-HEADED and are smart enough to be manipulative. They will try to get away with anything possible.
    6.They can and are aggressive with other dogs.
    7.They are usually too strong and active for elderly owners.or small kids
    8.They must have consistent discipline and obedience training at an early age. Without it, the dog and owner will be miserable. you will be training it till the day you die
    9.This dog must NEVER be allowed off-leash in an unfenced area. They are very untrustworthy and will chase the first animal they see, often with disastrous results.
    10.See GOOD POINTS #2, #4, and #8.
    11.They are prone to having allergy problems and hip dysplasia.
    12.They were developed to hunt anything with fur or feathers and they often will kill small animals.
    13. you want this for deerstalking. you will be hunting in wicklow and by mid morning,it will be chaseing the same deer in carlow
    14. you will be welcome nowhere with it

• Advertisement

welsummer wrote: »
    GOOD POINTS
    1.they do shed.
    4.They are excellent companions for jogging or long walks. THIS BREED MUST HAVE A LOT OF EXERCISE. THEY ARE, AFTER ALL, BRED FOR HUNTING. (LONG TIME AGO)
    6. long-lived breed of dog. The average life span is 10 to 12 years. so you are stuck with the gob****e
    7.They are very playful and will create games to play with you, being a fecking nucience all of the time
    8.They are very sensitive to your moods and want to be touching you whenever possible. Do you realy need another wife

BAD POINTS
    1.They can be very destructive if not trained and supervised and many are chewers until they reach maturity.(WHICH IS NEVER) Some will always chew.
    2.They will eat anything - pantyhose, lava rocks, sofas, pillows, woodwork, wallboard, hot tub covers, etc.
    4.As a result of the above three traits, a crate (wire or plastic) is a MUST with this breed. If you can't stand to crate a dog, please don't buy a Weimaraner.
    5.They can be STUBBORN and HARD-HEADED and are smart enough to be manipulative. They will try to get away with anything possible.
    8.They must have consistent discipline and obedience training at an early age. Without it, the dog and owner will be miserable. you will be training it till the day you die
    9.This dog must NEVER be allowed off-leash in an unfenced area. They are very untrustworthy and will chase the first animal they see, often with disastrous results.
    12.They were developed to hunt anything with fur or feathers and they often will kill small animals.
    13. you want this for deerstalking. you will be hunting in wicklow and by mid morning,it will be chaseing the same deer in carlow
    Is it just me or are the Good Points bad?
    Get a Vizsla...

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

GOOD POINTS
    1.they do shed.

BAD POINTS

ive never heard such a complete load of absolute bull **** in all my life!!!!!! i hunt with them and find them brilliant, great nose and when properally trained very obediant. dont blame the dog for the above "points" but have a look at the said owners. everytime ive sold a pup to new owners for hunting theyve always come back saying how good they are.......infact i can remember one of the owners winning 1st of season comp over a 6 month dog we bred...........and there were plenty of the so called better breeds out that day. tell you what......have a chat with people who actually have used them for hunting and the vast majority will confirm everything ive said.
    as for not being welcome anywhere with them; wheres that?????????? ive never had a problem. infact everytime i bring them out they get nothing but compliments.
    the only thing from the above that is true is the fact that they are sensitive to your mood but not overally so.............i personally think it shows the dogs intelligence but if you prefer something different out of your dogs fair play to you
    for the op; go for it!!!! cant recomend them enough. done deal is the place to look and i would contact the weimaraner club aswell, they should know of pups that are either born or due

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Hi Seoirse,

I have just bred a beautiful litter of Weim's and they will be ready to go to new homes at the end of Feb. The ad will be on donedeal.ie this week.
    They will be 4wks tomorrow and are thriving. I have started to wean and potty train them to make things easier for their new parents.
    • Tails docked
    • IKC reg
    • Micro chipped
    • Wormed and Vac
    • Both parents are our pets and can be seen (their Daddy is very good with them!)
    • Blanket and wubba
    I would recommend that you read up on this breed before buying and I would welcome a call if you are really interested @ 0879030935.

Regards,

Andrea.

do you hunt them /show them or are they just house dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

jwshooter wrote: »
    Hi Seoirse,

• Tails docked
    • IKC reg
    • Micro chipped
    • Wormed and Vac
    • Blanket and wubba

Regards,

Andrea.

do you hunt them /show them or are they just house dogs.

A potty trained dog now that is a good one, does that mean when he's out in the field and needs to take a dump you have to drive him back home to sit on the throne or would you bring the potty with you. :D:D:D PMSL

A potty trained dog now that is a good one, does that mean when he's out in the field and needs to take a dump you have to drive him back home to sit on the throne or would you bring the potty with you. :D:D:D PMSL

deeks the wire hairs would crap on ya.

• Advertisement

deeks the wire hairs would crap on ya.

My mates springer shat in my dog trailer the last day of the season, the ignorance of it. I will have to look in to having a potty installed, of course she will have to be potty trained aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

My mates springer shat in my dog trailer the last day of the season, the ignorance of it.QUOTE]

Oh the laughter! :D:D:D

gene pool is a bit limited in cork any way :D only for the o hailpins you would have to get a tag put on your leg to get out of the place

gene pool is a bit limited in cork any way :D only for the o hailpins you would have to get a tag put on your leg to get out of the place

Why don't you go and feck off and water your strawberries or something!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭seoirse1980

After a lot of research and talking to a lot of people I decided to go with a gsp. Sorry Wellsummer I know ye love the labs but I was assured that a well trained gsp would be very welcome on shoot days. Got an 8 week old bitch from great hunting lines today. I'm sure with the right training she'll give chloe a run for her money :p Thanks to all for advice

Seoirse

Why don't you go and feck off and water your strawberries or something!:D

FFS ,you cork lads are very sensitive ,like.

[ I decided to go with a gsp. Sorry Wellsummer ,but I was assured that a well trained gsp would be very welcome on shoot days. Got an 8 week old bitch from great hunting lines today. I'm sure with the right training she'll give chloe a run for her money :p Thanks to all for advice

Seoirse[/QUOTE]
    well seoirse i suppose the deal id done now and at least it a couple of steps up the ladder from the weirmarner.

>well trained gsp would be very welcome on shoot days.

ANY WELL TRAINED DOG IS WELCOME ON SHOOT DAY, FORTUNALLY YOUR DOG WONT BE RUNNING OF TO THE NEXT DRIVE AS YOU WILL BE ALL THE TIME LOOKING FOR HER , STUCK ON POINT IN THE WOODS SOME WHERE.

I HAVE BEATEN AND PICKED UP ON A LOT OF SHOOTS AND HAVE ONLY EVER SEEN A GWP ON SHOOT AND HE DID NOT LAST.

The problem with all of the hunt point and retrive is that they are a jack of all trades but excell in none.

when buying a dog you have to focus 100% on what excally you want the dog to do and also the terrain that you are hunting.

I am looking forward to in time to come hearing those little words, YOU WERE RIGHT WELSUMMER.

At least they are more intelligent that the weirmaraner and you wont wear out so many pairs of boots running after her.

AFTER all that...... enjoy you pup
    What did you call her.
    Long time ago my father had a gsp names froue
    Also have fond memories of another gsp called rommel

[ I decided to go with a gsp. Sorry Wellsummer ,but I was assured that a well trained gsp would be very welcome on shoot days. Got an 8 week old bitch from great hunting lines today. I'm sure with the right training she'll give chloe a run for her money :p Thanks to all for advice

Seoirse
    well seoirse i suppose the deal id done now and at least it a couple of steps up the ladder from the weirmarner.

ANY WELL TRAINED DOG IS WELCOME ON SHOOT DAY, FORTUNALLY YOUR DOG WONT BE RUNNING OF TO THE NEXT DRIVE AS YOU WILL BE ALL THE TIME LOOKING FOR HER , STUCK ON POINT IN THE WOODS SOME WHERE.

I HAVE BEATEN AND PICKED UP ON A LOT OF SHOOTS AND HAVE ONLY EVER SEEN A GWP ON SHOOT AND HE DID NOT LAST.

The problem with all of the hunt point and retrive is that they are a jack of all trades but excell in none.

when buying a dog you have to focus 100% on what excally you want the dog to do and also the terrain that you are hunting.

I am looking forward to in time to come hearing those little words, YOU WERE RIGHT WELSUMMER.

At least they are more intelligent that the weirmaraner and you wont wear out so many pairs of boots running after her.

What did you call her.
    Also have fond memories of another gsp called rommel[/QUOTE]

what crap, a well trained HPR is the best dog a man can have .

one of my GWP bitches is 10 this year she has stalked 100s of deer, pointed and retrieved 100s of pheasants .stalked and retrieved countless rabbits.
    retrieved pigeon,duck,snipe,woodcock.

the problem with them is there often brighter that there handler

Thats the nicest thing you've ever said to me wellsummer I'm nearly in tears here:D.

Her name is ella 8 weeks at the minute.

Hopefully with all your advice to hand she'll turn out alright....

If anyone knows of a good place for dummy launchers let me know please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭SpringerF

Nice pup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Seoirse my misses's is hear with me, She wants to know is the handbag for the dog, she wants one for our 3 year old springer,:rolleyes::o

i said lovely dog she said lovely bag

>the problem with them is there often brighter that there handler[/QUOTE]

you are right, and there in lies the problem, when you have a dog that constantly thinks he knows better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Nice pup Saoirse, very best of luck with her;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

What did you call her.

Sour grapes much & what a load of ****e. The dog will only be allowed get away with what the handler allows! If he's not obedient he shouldn't be in the field regardless of what breed it is!
    I think some of the HPR men on here would take serious offence to the comment "they are a jack of all trades but excell in none."

PS If it is a beating dog you were after for shoot days a springer or cocker was the way to go...

Seoirse

What did you call her.

welsummer,

I can't make hardly any sense out of this post, but from what I can make out you are talking out your BUTTOCKS!!! :D

HPRs are perfectly capable of picking up on shoots, they're no good for beating. Its all down to training.

PS If it is a beating dog you were after for shoot days a springer or cocker was the way to go...[/QUOTE]

thats the point i was making as well!!!

wrong dog for the job he wants to do...

HPRs are perfectly capable of picking up on shoots, they're no good for beating. Its all down to training.[/QUOTE]

Their fine for picking up when you can see your dog.
    Try standing outside a heavy wood that the birds from the previous drive have flow into and send you dog in after a runner.
    9 times out of ten you are going to be waiting awile for her to come out. and if she is sticky on point you are going to have to go in looking for her.
    Mean while the next drive has started!!!
    WRONG DOG FOR THE JOB.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

the op never said what type of shooting he was doing. he asked if anyone knew where he could get a weimaraner not if one was better than a cocker or springer. if he was asking if anyone knew where there was a litter of pointers would you have slated them? is it the weimaraner you have a problem with or is it all HPR's. by the way the op asked specifically about the weimaraner, he implyed to me anyway, that he knew the trates about the breed and where best to hunt them so personally i think its a bit insulting on him aswell the way you said that xy&z is wrong with the breed when it was obvious he was after a HPR and knows what hes getting into.
    just to clear something up aswell; im not a HPR nut that would say its noting but a HPR that ill hunt with. as ive said earlier, i hunt with the weimaraner and ill always have one, i love everything about them, but i also have a cocker that i hunt with. different dogs with different traits and i think your comments were very unfair about one of them.
    ps to the op, nice pup hope you get many good years shooting out of it

i hunt with the weimaraner but i also have a cocker that i hunt with. different dogs with different traits [/QUOTE]

how can you hunt with both dogs on the same ground with such different traits

they will give each other bad habits,
    the cocker will be watching the weimaraner as he is a far ranging dog and should be finding the birds first , the cocker then gets cute and when he see the weimaraner on point at a distance, he runs on the point.
    The weimaraner then gets cute and when he see the cocker coming , he comes off point and flushes the bird before the cocker can.

• Advertisement

I was looking for a dog to cover all of my growing shooting needs. As I researched the different breeds one or two stood out. I also had to consider my fiance's allergy to dander in fur, so long hair was out of the question. I wanted the dog to be indoors some of the time as a family pet in years to come. I wanted a breed that I could take with me out stalking. Flush and retrieve on walk up days. (might point me to a nice grouse this year:D) use when duck flighting and hopefully geese this year. I would be also using the dog for picking up and beating occasionaly.
    The german shorthaired pointer came recomended by many. I'd love a springer and a lab in years to come but not now.

Thanks again to all.

Seoirse

Advertisement