Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tony Fenton

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Deedsie wrote: »
    Tony Fentons greatest accomplishment is that he is not Rick O'Shea... He's not great I'll admit, but the 14:30 to 16:30 slot is a tough gig.

not being rick o shea alone makes tony special to some of us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

heybaby wrote: »
    You're always guaranteed that Tony will play van the man morrisson, he's obsessed with him.

You could say the same thing about the Kings of Leon - not a day goes by that he doesn't play at least one of their songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Kojak wrote: »
    You could say the same thing about the Kings of Leon - not a day goes by that he doesn't play at least one of their songs.

He really does have a set playlist. Same songs day in day out for about a month. Then he might add a few and take out a few.

For the past couple of months he kept playing this song every day by Amy Winehouses goddaughter. I can't remember the song or even the artists name because he keeps referring to her as "Amy Winehouses little godchild"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

He really does have a set playlist. Same songs day in day out for about a month. Then he might add a few and take out a few.

For the past couple of months he kept playing this song every day by Amy Winehouses goddaughter. I can't remember the song or even the artists name because he keeps referring to her as "Amy Winehouses little godchild"

is it that Jessie J you are on about?

Kojak wrote: »
    is it that Jessie J you are on about?

No, he did go through the JJ phase as well, about a month before he interviewed her and a few weeks after.

Wino's godchild is called Dionne Bromfield - Fenton has been playing her song every day, usually sandwiched between Adele and Jonah and the whale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

No, he did go through the JJ phase as well, about a month before he interviewed her and a few weeks after.

Wino's godchild is called Dionne Bromfield - Fenton has been playing her song every day, usually sandwiched between Adele and Jonah and the whale.

Just great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

NOAH AND THE POXY WHALE!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Don't like they guy. Met him in a pub about 18 years ago while i was at the bar waiting to get served. I started small chat having not got a clue who he was. He was as ignorant as f***. Then 20 mins later I heard tony fenton come on as DJ and it was him...i thought..what a knoB..fake as f**k

He still annoys me today with his fakeness.....one of the best movies of all time,one of the best bands of all time...how many best movies and bands can their be Tony???? Your finished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

I had to laugh one time when he unilaterally conferred city status upon Tullamore. The phrase "the town" was what was required . . . instead T. Fenton went ahead and labelled it as, "the city" (and not in an ironic way!).

That_Guy wrote: »
    NOAH AND THE POXY WHALE!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Oh right.
    I find their music that bland and indifferent that it doesn't bother me getting their name wrong.

• Advertisement

Oh right.
    I find their music that bland and indifferent that it doesn't bother me getting their name wrong.

Not directed at you at all mate. I was posting that at the time when one of their songs came on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be honest, I used to like him.

I had never heard of him until about 2yrs ago, and his choice of music was right up my street. No-one else was playing the likes of AC/DC, Springsteen, Petty, Dylan etc. So I listened to him any day I was off work.

However, I have found myself beginning to really dislike him now:o

I think that a lot of the things people say about him have struck me as being true i.e. his fake accent, trying to be like a Mikey & Smashy DJ, friend to the stars etc etc.

Plus I seen a photo of him recently and could not believe his age. He is fast becoming the new Larry Gogan, trying to stay hip with all the youngsters.

And his choice of music is starting to drift towards the norm making his show just like many of the others out there. He seems to be obsessed with whoever is the current hot topic. Its lately been Lady Gaga, or Adele. Sweet Jesus does he ever shut up about Adele? Or the one that really grates on me is that James Vincent McMorrow - you'd think the way TF rants on about him he was his agent.

And the final nail in the coffin for me is his repitition. He says every line at least twice. Listen to him to see what I mean.

Looks like I'm gonna have to find myself another daytime show.

New Bingo phrase:

"The hairy eyeball"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Think he is probably the best of the lot music wise, foley puts on a lot of ha ha I remember that songs but Tony has a really solid playlist everyday. Always a mix of the charts and the classics.

If you can't see why Lady Gaga and Adele are heavily featured then let me spell it out. They are the biggest selling artists around at the minute, not playing/slating them at 4 in the afternoon is a good way to lose listeners and lets not forget he is on the radio because its his job. If he loses his listeners it won't be his job for much longer. If you think that a radio DJ has complete creative control over their playlist then you are really really naive.

Il give ye the accent is kinda silly and he comes out with some cheesy lines but he is in no way deserving of the hate he is getting here.

mackg wrote: »
    Think he is probably the best of the lot music wise, foley puts on a lot of ha ha I remember that songs but Tony has a really solid playlist everyday. Always a mix of the charts and the classics.

If you can't see why Lady Gaga and Adele are heavily featured then let me spell it out. They are the biggest selling artists around at the minute, not playing/slating them at 4 in the afternoon is a good way to lose listeners and lets not forget he is on the radio because its his job. If he loses his listeners it won't be his job for much longer. If you think that a radio DJ has complete creative control over their playlist then you are really really naive.

Il give ye the accent is kinda silly and he comes out with some cheesy lines but he is in no way deserving of the hate he is getting here.

I do still listen to him, I must add.

Haven't given up on him yet.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

He's so fake..and he talks total shi**

He's a brutal dj

He repeats the same music day in day out

He deserves everything he gets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I haven't listened to him in years. Does he still call Snow Patrol 'the snowies'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

He's so fake..and he talks total shi**

He's a brutal dj

He repeats the same music day in day out

He deserves everything he gets

bryangiggsy? fake? brave card to play.

As i previously said in reality he does what he can to play decent music, same with ian dempsey I would say more than likely they submit playlists for approval before the show. I remember Dempsey playing the doors before not sure which track but it was a short one and commenting afterwards "that was the doors with **** and I can actually play it cause its only 4 minutes long". He has very little wiggle room to play what he wants.

Why do you think he got into this? He obviously loves music. He probably knows more about it then either of us. You really think what he plays on the show are the songs he would be listening to if he were at home?

I have spent enough time defending him now. Again although not perfect pretty close to as good as we have got.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

bryangiggsy? fake? brave card to play.

As i previously said in reality he does what he can to play decent music, same with ian dempsey I would say more than likely they submit playlists for approval before the show. I remember Dempsey playing the doors before not sure which track but it was a short one and commenting afterwards "that was the doors with **** and I can actually play it cause its only 4 minutes long". He has very little wiggle room to play what he wants.

Why do you think he got into this? He obviously loves music. He probably knows more about it then either of us. You really think what he plays on the show are the songs he would be listening to if he were at home?

I have spent enough time defending him now. Again although not perfect pretty close to as good as we have got.

Yeah, he does listen to the same music. He has often mentioned that he has that CD in his car at the moment etc.

Anyway, I don't like getting personal about them. I'd bet that TF chooses his own music though. Dempsey is playlisted - he often mentions it. Darcy isn't playlisted - he often mentions picking his music the night before, and Fenton plays his own taste in music, or maybe he has a small playlist with plenty of room for his additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

While i dont hate him and i wish him well in his recovery, i can only listen to him for a very short time and get bored and put on a CD or plug in the ipod.

His fake 'you go girl' US teenage accent is ridiculous to say the least and I'm still waiting for him to slip up and pronounce Tune as 'choon' and not toon!

His attempts at rhyming slang drive me nuts where you can almost hear his little brain churing as he tries to finish sentences with cockney slang.

His daily downloads are generally rubbish and in a lot of cases from bands/singers that the listenship will have never heard off and so only appeal to a small minority.

Everything, be it a town, place, song, film or whatever is his favourite and he ends every sentence in which he says how much he loves something with 'i really do' or 'it really is' Well tony, you are really fake...'you really are'

I firmly believe that he has absolutely no interest in football but reads up on players/games etc etc so as to pretend he has (maybe thats just because nothing he says seems genuine and everything is played up)

As for pam, her laugh is sooooooo freekin annoying....!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Tony just said 'blips' instead of euros. I didn't know whether to laugh or cringe:D

Have to laugh at Tony.

Foley and Cooper are doing OBs from the Electric Picnic today. Tony obviously couldn't do it too for whatever reasons.
    So, he's there (going by sound quality and the general run of the show) but just not mentioning it.

He done the same for a week last year, when he broadcasted from Austria (went there with Ian Dempseys show) but again never mentioned it on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

always liked tony , hes a carricature but the role of a DJ is one which is suited to this IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sophie2011

Tony started his radio career back in the lates 70's and his big break was on Sunshine Radio (539 mw in those days). He has been around a long time and deserves credit for that. He is genuinely passionate about what he does. If he was not - he would not have done it for 30+ years.
    He does play up the DJ thing but why not. I think we have all got too used to very flat Dublin accents or strong country ones on the radio that we find it strange to hear a mid atlantic accent. Have a listen to the majority of RTE sports announcers or the very Dub FM 104 presenters. That deserves a thread in itself about accents. You may say they are natural but hey this is entertainment and people like to be entertained. It would be a shame if irish radio and television was completely overrun with sterotypical accents because programme controllers think that's what people want to hear.
    Anyway back on track, keep up the good work Tony and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I still listen to TF most days if I can, but I have started to notice just how much he repeats lines, especially around prizes or music news stories.

Anyone else notice this?

His show could be cut in half if he only said each line once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I like his show on Today FM. He plays some really good new tunes, it is obvious which ones he can choose to play himself, and which ones are the tunes that pay the bills. He gets the mix of classics and good new songs just right. I know his accent is a bit silly, but, crucially, I think he knows it and doesn't take himself too seriously. I find his patter tolerable, sometimes funny. The story of his recovery from illness has been a good news story in an otherwise gloomy year, I was genuinely happy to hear him back on the radio a few weeks ago. In case anyone thinks I am a shill for Today FM, go over to the Ray Darcy thread and check out how many red cards I have picked up for borderline libelous attacks on the little man with the very high opinion of himself.

I see in his bankruptcy court case that his real name is Anthony Fagan.

Why exactly would someone like Tony Fenton need a stage name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

NIMAN wrote: »
    I see in his bankruptcy court case that his real name is Anthony Fagan.

Why exactly would someone like Tony Fenton need a stage name?

It's because way back when "independent" radio was unlicensed here, some Dj's used pseudo names and many, like Tony, had built a career on those names. Not everybody did it and some reverted to their real names when they started in legal radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭squonk

Is Tony bankrupt? God, the poor guy. He was on Matt Cooper a few weeks ago talking about prostrate cancer and he came across as a really down to earth, decent guy.

I've always liked him and he's exactly the same now as he was back in the days of the Hotline on 2FM! I suppose it's a love him or hate him kind of thing but I wish him well.

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »
    Is Tony bankrupt? God, the poor guy. He was on Matt Cooper a few weeks ago talking about prostrate cancer and he came across as a really down to earth, decent guy.

I've always liked him and he's exactly the same now as he was back in the days of the Hotline on 2FM! I suppose it's a love him or hate him kind of thing but I wish him well.

He is unfortunately. I'm not a fan of his style anymore but the has had an awful year.

His mother passed away, he found a malignant melanoma on his leg, got that sorted, then found out about the prostate cancer. Now this. Hopefully that will be the end of his bad run.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1108/1224307208434.html
    WELL-KNOWN disc jockey Tony Fenton was declared a bankrupt at the High Court yesterday following a petition taken against him by the Revenue Commissioners.

The Today FM presenter, whose real name is Anthony Fagan, owed a debt of almost €900,000 for unpaid tax liabilities, including interest and penalties, the High Court heard.

During the brief hearing at the Four Courts yesterday morning, Gary Compton, instructed by Matheson Ormsby Prentice on behalf of the Revenue Commissioners, told the court that three judgments were secured last year against Mr Fenton for the taxes he owed.

These had not been paid and the Revenue had petitioned the court to make Mr Fenton bankrupt when he failed to clear the debts.

The judgments came to just over €770,000, but with accumulated interest the sum owed yesterday was €879,695.

The Revenue also registered a judgment mortgage against Mr Fenton’s south Dublin home at Merrion Woods, Stillorgan Road, Blackrock, which is also the subject of a bank mortgage.

Legal documents stated Mr Fenton was working at the Today FM offices, at Digges Lane, Dublin, when he was served with the petition by the Revenue Commissioners on October 28th last.

Representing Mr Fenton, solicitor St John Dundon, of Dundon Callanan Solicitors, told Ms Justice Elizabeth Dunne his client would not be contesting the petition.

Ms Justice Dunne then formally declared Mr Fenton a bankrupt.

Although he was not present in court, he was required to attend at the Office of the Official Assignee in Smithfield yesterday to sign legal documents.

All of his property and assets will now come under the control of the official assignee, Chris Lehane, who administers the estate of bankrupts.

A notice of his bankruptcy will also appear in newspapers in the coming weeks to give any other creditors an opportunity to make a claim against his estate.

Following a statutory sitting, the official assignee may sell any property belonging to Mr Fenton and distribute the proceeds among his creditors.

He was not available for comment last night, but speaking at the weekend, he said he had lost everything financially and would probably lose his home.

He had invested heavily in property during the boom to make provision for a pension and lost all of his money during the property crash. He described the court proceedings as “a huge relief” and said a weight would be lifted off his shoulders.

The DJ has worked for Today FM since 2004 and hosts a weekday programme, The Afternoon Show , from 2.30pm to 4.30pm. He was named PPI Music Broadcaster of the Year in 2008.

Mr Fenton had previously worked for RTÉ radio’s 2FM as well as for various pirate radio stations including Sunshine Radio and Radio Nova.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement