Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunar Eclipse new yrs eve

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Great shot Das Kitty!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

You couldnt get a better night to see it!Unreal out there it is!
    Moon is extremely bright too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 susanne lacey

Great pic of the moon...! couldn't get better visibility!!!! After all the Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse books we've been reading over XmaS, this is a nice treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

4232150996_22865b85db_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

excuse me for my poor astronomy but i thought the moon would be completly covered, its fully viewable now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

I feel ever so slightly mortified putting up this pic after the exhibition standard stuff earlier in the thread.

Nevertheless I got a Neximage Imager thingy as a Christmas Present and this is the fruit of my first blurry experiment using a beginner scope.

moon1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Grand view here in west dublin,nice clear skies earlier. Fair play for the great pics lads and lassies,great stuff.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

excuse me for my poor astronomy but i thought the moon would be completly covered, its fully viewable now
    This was just a partial eclipse, meaning that the Moon passed through a small part of the Earths shadow.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Got this one myself tonight in Galway. Heavy lens on a very cheap flimsy tripod I'm afraid, will have to invest in something better. Anyone know when the next total lunar eclipse will be?

8313CECCBA244822B2C14B1A3490641D-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭John mac

I think there is one in the pacific this year, Easter island is the place to be

( or was that a solar eclipse?)

Figured out why my pics were crap. had the apeture and shutter speed set wrong .:mad:

now i'm getting great pics, !

ah well next time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭calchas

Great pics folks

clouded out in Sussex.

This is only a partial eclipse next full ecclipse is at the end of 2010.

Happy new year to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Whats the story with the blue moon people are on about?Probably a very ignorant question to ye astrononmy people?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Buttony

Hi,

I wasn't set up in time for taking pictures. This is about the best I got.
    4232335324_43853c773d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Whats the story with the blue moon people are on about

it's just the second full moon in the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Whats the story with the blue moon people are on about?Probably a very ignorant question to ye astrononmy people?:D

Ever hear of the phrase 'once in a blue moon'?

Its only what the 13th full moon in a year is called.

Happens once every 2/3 years (due to lunar / solar year cycles - most years have 12 full moons).

Oh, and its not actually 'blue'. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Light covered everything, no shadows for craters! Was amazing coming up moreso than the penumbral eclipse itself. Huuuge moon. I enjoyed it.

PS: Happy new year everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

John mac wrote: »

Figured out why my pics were crap. had the apeture and shutter speed set wrong .:mad:

now i'm getting great pics, !

ah well next time. :)

Set your camera on Shutter Priority, then aperture is taken care of! You still may need to bracket your shot to get exposure right however...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

John mac wrote: »

Theres a solar eclips in july in parts of the pacific, right when ill be backpacking around french polynesia! woohoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Iridium

Ever hear of the phrase 'once in a blue moon'?

Its only what the 13th full moon in a year is called.

Happens once every 2/3 years (due to lunar / solar year cycles - most years have 12 full moons).

Oh, and its not actually 'blue'. :D

That's actually a myth - one of these things that people keep repeating until most people believe it to be true.

Sky & Telescope Magazine inaccurately said that this was the meaning of a blue moon back in the 1940's, and this definition stuck around. A blue moon is when the moon literally does appear blue, due to atmospheric refraction caused by a lot of dust in the atmosphere, such as after the Krakatoa eruption in 1883. Something that is very very rare indeed, hence the saying "Once in a blue moon".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SaganScience

I was watching the blue moon/partial eclipse on new year's eve and then went to investigate when the next full moon would be. According to several sources it will be Jan 30th 2010.
    But on Jan 1st (Friday) I noticed a full moon.

Am I imagining things or is there an explanation??

• Advertisement

I was watching the blue moon/partial eclipse on new year's eve and then went to investigate when the next full moon would be. According to several sources it will be Jan 30th 2010.
    But on Jan 1st (Friday) I noticed a full moon.

Am I imagining things or is there an explanation??
    The moon may have looked full on Jan 1 but it was not. A full Moon only lasts for a split second but to human eyes it looks full for a day or two. A "Full Moon" simply means the moons face is totaly illuminated by the Suns rays as seen from the Earth. This happened during the eclipse on Dec 31st. An lunar eclipse can only happen when the Moon is "Full". Likewise a Solar eclipse can only happen at the moment the moon is "New" or not illuminated as seen from the Earth.
    So while you may see the moon as full before and after the full moon date it is not.

Hope that clears it up for you:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SaganScience

Thanks Beeker... that makes alot of sense. I can rest easy now!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭calchas

check out calsky.com to get the exact timings of full and new moons etc (and much more)
    19:12 31/12/2009
    06:17 30/01/2010

Calchas

Advertisement