Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phonewatch - comments on GSM monitoring and alternativesand cost?

Options
  • 28-12-2009 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭

We've had Eircom Phonewatch for a four years now.

We're thinking of switching our phone and broadband to a UPC bundle.

This would mean (I think) having to have our Phonewatch system monitored via a mobile line.

Anyone any views on this? Are you paying extra?

On the issue of cost, we're paying €26 a month for our 3 bed semi. Is this standard?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

Dinarius wrote: »
    We've had Eircom Phonewatch for a four years now.

We're thinking of switching our phone and broadband to a UPC bundle.

This would mean (I think) having to have our Phonewatch system monitored via a mobile line.

Anyone any views on this? Are you paying extra?

On the issue of cost, we're paying €26 a month for our 3 bed semi. Is this standard?

Thanks.

D.

Hi Dinarius,

This is expensive, you should be looking at paying around €150 a year for your monitoring plus you need a service contract on your monitored alarm to get garda response. Depending on what system you have installed a standard GSM unit can be installed so your alarm can contact the monitoring station in the event your alarm activates. They will install one for about €150 but your monitoring will be more expensive so they can recoup there loss on the GSM unit. Any alarm company can change your monitoring to a different monitoring station for you, so shop around and save yourself money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Altor,

It's actually €24.42 per month - just called them.

That includes 2 free service callouts per annum. In the four years we've had the system, we've had 3 call outs - just checked that too. Without the callout insurance, they would have cost €90 each.

In summary, in four years we've spent (12 x €24.42) x 4 = €1172.00

On their cheapest service (monitoring only) we would have spent (12 x €16.00) x 4 = €768.00 plus €270.00 for the three call-outs, a total of €1038.

So, yes, we would have saved some money. But, since I work from home, the taxman pays for some of it anyway.

You win some, you lose some, I guess.

Thanks for the reply.

D.

Altor,

It's actually €24.42 per month - just called them.

That includes 2 free service callouts per annum. In the four years we've had the system, we've had 3 call outs - just checked that too. Without the callout insurance, they would have cost €90 each.

In summary, in four years we've spent (12 x €24.42) x 4 = €1172.00

On their cheapest service (monitoring only) we would have spent (12 x €16.00) x 4 = €768.00 plus €270.00 for the three call-outs, a total of €1038.

So, yes, we would have saved some money. But, since I work from home, the taxman pays for some of it anyway.

You win some, you lose some, I guess.

Thanks for the reply.

D.

On there cheapest service you cant have garda response without a service contract on the alarm so you may as well get a text dialer installed and monitor the alarm yourself. It would save you the monitoring fee your paying every year also.

With the monitoring station i use it would of cost €150 x 4 = €600. Service contract is €70 x 4 = €280. Thats €880 vat included, which i assume you can claim the vat back off.

Did they say how much they where going to charge you for the GSM install and how much they will charge you to have it monitored through the GSM ?

GSM dialler is €149 including installation.

Monitoring cost remains unchanged.

Garda callout requires two sensors activated.

To be honest, I've no desire to monitor it myself.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Can't comment on cost but the gsm dialer is fine. We've it in our house as our services don't use an eircom fixed line. I live in a poor reception area but it works fine. Accidentally set the alarm with my brothers dog in the house not too long ago. Needless to say the alarm triggered, Monitoring crowd called and I had to head back to the house :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

GSM dialler is €149 including installation.

It is a very good price for the GSM but as i said they will get the extra back in your monitoring every year.
    Monitoring cost remains unchanged.

This to my knowledge is untrue as they charge you extra for the bill payment of a sim card which your new GSM will need so make sure you get a price before you agree to anything.
    Garda callout requires two sensors activated.

Garda callouts require two sensors to be activated on your alarm, but your alarm system needs a service contract on it to get garda response from the garda.

Altor,

Just confirmed all of the above as I understood them.

The monitoring cost remains the same - €24.42 p.m. in our case.

This includes Garda callout in the event of two sensor activations.

Finally, there is no additional cost for the gsm card.

The *only* change is that, because the gsm card does not have a number, there is no longer any remote access to the system. So, a friendly keyholder/neighbour seems to be the only way around this hitch.

Otherwise, all seems fine.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Astec Ireland have a GSM unit which is supposed to work on any panel which will convert the system over from a landline to mobile.
    It's priced at ~€300 or so, but the way I see it, it's going to pay itself back in ~2 years.

Altor,

Just confirmed all of the above as I understood them.

The monitoring cost remains the same - €24.42 p.m. in our case.

This includes Garda callout in the event of two sensor activations.

Finally, there is no additional cost for the gsm card.

The *only* change is that, because the gsm card does not have a number, there is no longer any remote access to the system. So, a friendly keyholder/neighbour seems to be the only way around this hitch.

Otherwise, all seems fine.

D.

Thats good they are not changing the price, make sure you get it in writing off them. Two sensor activations is a verified alarm. You will still have your garda response as they are including the service contract in the price of €24.42 p.m.

If you have a wired HKC secure watch system installed then ask them to install the HKC GSM instead of the new world GSM and then you will have remote access to the panel through the sim card installed in the GSM.

Best regards,

Altor.

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Astec Ireland have a GSM unit which is supposed to work on any panel which will convert the system over from a landline to mobile.
    It's priced at ~€300 or so, but the way I see it, it's going to pay itself back in ~2 years.

It takes a sim card and converts it to a land line.

• Advertisement

For one reason or another we haven't yet installed the GSM dialler.

I really want to move all my telephone and broadband to UPC and dump Eircom.

The hitch with the Eircom GSM dialler is the fact that you can't access the alarm system remotely. So, it's either a friendly keyholder, or return to the house. :cool:

1. Just because my alarm system is a Phonewatch one, am I committed to be monitored by them also?

2. If not, are there any companies offering GSM diallers and montoring that can be controlled remotely.

In five years, I've never had to swictch off the alarm remotely, but if I put in an Eircom dialler I know it will happen next week! :rolleyes:

Thanks.

D.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The hitch with the Eircom GSM dialler is the fact that you can't access the alarm system remotely. So, it's either a friendly keyholder, or return to the house. :cool:

1. Just because my alarm system is a Phonewatch one, am I committed to be monitored by them also?

2. If not, are there any companies offering GSM diallers and montoring that can be controlled remotely.

In five years, I've never had to swictch off the alarm remotely, but if I put in an Eircom dialler I know it will happen next week! :rolleyes:

Thanks.

D.

Any company can monitor you system. Some places will not go near the Eircom wireless panels.
    What panel have you got at the mement?
    You could also connect your UPC line to the Alarm & use that. With that I would advise having a power supply with a battery back up powering your UPC modem. That would be more secure than GSM either way.
    There is a duel unit due to hit the market that will use phone line & GSM.
    This unit can detect jamming & report via land line.
    It can also use poling to confirm line is ok.
    I am awaiting price confirmation on this service but I believe it will be cheaper than secure radio.

Thanks.

D.

Unless you have a contract with them you are not committed to stay with them, but you would be charged to get out of contract if you decided to change your monitoring setup.

With the wire free system you will need the land line for remote access, it wont work over GSM.

Cheers guys.

1. I with Eircom Phonewatch.

2. It's an Eircom Phonewatch system and panel.

3. Monitoring contract is due for renewal at the end of this month, so I'm free as a bird basically.

4. I want to move phone and broadband to UPC (€43 per month for 8Mb broadband and unlimited calls day and night to Ireland and 21 other countries strikes me as a complete no-brainer. In addition, I would have UPC's radio service. I'll be using Sky for TV.)

So, in summary, if I could just have UPC, Sky and a monitoring service I'd be happy.

Can I be monitored through the UPC line? Friends of mine (who also have a Phonewatch system) recently got in an Eircom installed GSM dialler because they thought that their UPC phone line wouldn't work.

Thanks.

D.

ps. The dual unit sounds interesting. In essence, if I can get away from the Eircom landline (to UPC) AND have remote access to the system, then I'm laughing! ;-)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can use UPC for monitoring but it won't give you remote access

Cheers guys.

1. I with Eircom Phonewatch.

2. It's an Eircom Phonewatch system and panel.

3. Monitoring contract is due for renewal at the end of this month, so I'm free as a bird basically.

4. I want to move phone and broadband to UPC (€43 per month for 8Mb broadband and unlimited calls day and night to Ireland and 21 other countries strikes me as a complete no-brainer. In addition, I would have UPC's radio service. I'll be using Sky for TV.)

So, in summary, if I could just have UPC, Sky and a monitoring service I'd be happy.

Can I be monitored through the UPC line? Friends of mine (who also have a Phonewatch system) recently got in an Eircom installed GSM dialler because they thought that their UPC phone line wouldn't work.

Thanks.

D.

ps. The dual unit sounds interesting. In essence, if I can get away from the Eircom landline (to UPC) AND have remote access to the system, then I'm laughing! ;-)

Eircom wont allow you to use the upc for there monitoring. Only option is to install a GSM with them.

I never heard that. Its really the same as any other phone line.
    If they do have a problem just go to another monitoring station.
    It will probably be cheaper as well.

Thanks again guys.

Then a couple more questions.....

1. Will another company monitor an Eircom Phonewatch system? Or do I have to replace the system?

2. If they will monitor an Eircom Phonewatch will they service it also?

3. If anyone feels they can solve my problems, PM me. :)

Ta.

D.

1. Will another company monitor an Eircom Phonewatch system? Or do I have to replace the system?
    Shome will, others won't.
    I don't touch them myself. Shop around is your best bet.
    If they are offing monitoring they they have to offer service & maintenance.

koolkid wrote: »
    I never heard that. Its really the same as any other phone line.
    If they do have a problem just go to another monitoring station.
    It will probably be cheaper as well.

I would say its more to do with the issue of the unit not having its own back up power supply. I know with a back up power supply this would not be an issue.

• Advertisement

Thanks again guys.

Then a couple more questions.....

3. If anyone feels they can solve my problems, PM me. :)

Ta.

D.

Any company that knows how to work your alarm would have no issue with reprogramming the alarm to contact another monitoring station. I would not be getting a new system installed if your alarm is working perfect. Everguard monitoring can monitor the Eircom systems, I have connected a lot of there system to them myself. Alot cheaper than Eircom also.

altor wrote: »
    I would say its more to do with the issue of the unit not having its own back up power supply. I know with a back up power supply this would not be an issue.

Between that and UPC telling customers an alarm can't be connected to their line full stop!!:eek:

I was talking to one of there technicians and he told me the line is not reliable enough for monitoring. Have you tried any, will they get a hand shake from the monitoring station ? The reason I ask is I tried to get a voice dialer to work with UPC but it would not hang up, just kept ringing ?

Have done loads.
    All going in as Extended SIA, have not had any issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I was talking to one of there technicians and he told me the line is not reliable enough for monitoring. Have you tried any, will they get a hand shake from the monitoring station ? The reason I ask is I tried to get a voice dialer to work with UPC but it would not hang up, just kept ringing ?

How much is a voice dialer now, im with upc as well

robbie7730 wrote: »
    How much is a voice dialer now, im with upc as well

What system have you installed ?
    Some of the Eircom system have a dialer that will ring one number, they are the voice dialer I am referring too.

What system have you installed ?
    Some of the Eircom system have a dialer that will ring one number, they are the voice dialer I am referring too.

Its a CS350 i put around 7 years ago here, but im out of the house a bit more these days so was thinking along these lines of a dialler.

Its a CS350 i put around 7 years ago here, but im out of the house a bit more these days so was thinking along these lines of a dialler.

There are lot of different units you could install with this alarm. A Gardtec speech dialer would be easy to install as all your doing is connecting it to the external bell and when that triggers it will ring your phone.

There are lot of different units you could install with this alarm. A Gardtec speech dialer would be easy to install as all your doing is connecting it to the external bell and when that triggers it will ring your phone.

Sounds ideal i will look into that so.

• Advertisement

Sounds ideal i will look into that so.

Not that expensive either. If you want a manual before you buy send me your e-mail by P.M. and I will send it on to you.

Advertisement