Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes you believe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Can I ask the Christians participating in this thread a question that makes me most cautious towards religions..?

After you have found God, how do you view people of other beliefs and atheists?
    Are they doomed and it is only up to the (self) righteous to "save" them?

Simple question-straight answer please.

That's a question I always used to ask those who knocked on my door (JW's and Mormons I later found out). Hopefully this Christians answer will satisfy you better than their answer satisfied me.

My belief is that people of all kinds of backgrounds will enter the kingdom of God. Some will be card carrying Christians. Others will be card-carrying atheists/Buddhists/Muslims who have been saved by God because they satisfied the same criterion for salvation that those who become card-carrying Christians did.

That criterion, I believe, is believing God in the manner required by God. Not believing in God primarily. Thus is is possible that a sheep herder up the side of a mountain in Tibet can be saved - without ever hearing the name Jesus Christ. Or ever having heard of the God of the Bible.

What believing God entails is a different matter - but suffice to say, the possibility of doing so or not is/was open to every person, everywhere, in every era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

See, I cannot help but being scared of hearing the same response from all believers that I have asked (I only had the chance to ask Christians but I am certain that Islam says the same)
    so for the 6bn of us in this world believing the same system (but a different king) we will always fight......

Feel free to pop over to the Islam forum and ask. I won't be answering for them.

The idea that all beliefs are true is a nice one. Logically, this cannot be the case.

As for always fighting, I don't see why this belief means we have to fight at all. Evangelising can be done through peaceful missionary effort, indeed it does happen all over the world peacefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Anton.Mamyko

That's a question I always used to ask those who knocked on my door (JW's and Mormons I later found out). Hopefully this Christians answer will satisfy you better than their answer satisfied me.

My belief is that people of all kinds of backgrounds will enter the kingdom of God. Some will be card carrying Christians. Others will be card-carrying atheists/Buddhists/Muslims who have been saved by God because they satisfied the same criterion for salvation that those who become card-carrying Christians did.

That criterion, I believe, is believing God in the manner required by God. Not believing in God primarily. Thus is is possible that a sheep herder up the side of a mountain in Tibet can be saved - without ever hearing the name Jesus Christ. Or ever having heard of the God of the Bible.

What believing God entails is a different matter - but suffice to say, the possibility of doing so or not is/was open to every person, everywhere, in every era.
    You are one of the first Christians that I still want to discuss this further after posing my earlier question, I wish there were more like you.
    You have a less insane view that the billions of non-Christians are(in short) equal to you....that's the impression I got from you anyway, pardon me if I'm wrong.
    So, now I ask you, why did you pick Christianity as you from of belief? I mean from an outsider's point of view it is one of many other self righteous systems that want to "save" the rest of the world. From history alone one can see how religions started wars, and (I'm sorry) sometimes it makes me sick that people can still follow religious orders after all the horrible things that they led to

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Jakkass wrote: »
    As for evidence of history. The New Testament accounts are more authentic than any other ancient document. We have 40,000 manuscripts in Greek, Syriac, Aramaic and Latin. This comes in comparison to 600 for Homer's Odyssey, it also surpasses anything that we have on Aristotle or Plato. Yet people still trust the authenticity of Aristotle's philosophy.

That's quite the analogy.You don't seriously believe Homer's tales as factual accounts? Aristotle is believed to be nothing more than a ordinary human and some of his principles still work today, others that have been found incorrect have been chucked in the bin but kept on historical record. Christ on the other hand, is no ordinary individual,He is believed to be a conqueror of death.

Malty_T wrote: »
    That's quite the analogy.You don't seriously believe Homer's tales as factual accounts? Aristotle is believed to be nothing more than a ordinary human and some of his principles still work today, others that have been found incorrect have been chucked in the bin but kept on historical record. Christ on the other hand, is no ordinary individual,He is believed to be a conqueror of death.

Indeed. We can show that the New Testament accounts were not likely to have been corrupted through these 40,000 documents. The reason so many exist is probably because it was such an extraordinary claim.

Biblical archaeology has been bringing more and more to the debate also. After claims that Nazareth didn't even exist during Jesus' time, amongst others evidence has come to the contrary. I expect that other such finds will also shed light on the historicity of the Bible, including the Exodus from Egypt.

• Advertisement

Feel free to pop over to the Islam forum and ask. I won't be answering for them.

The idea that all beliefs are true is a nice one. Logically, this cannot be the case.

As for always fighting, I don't see why this belief means we have to fight at all. Evangelising can be done through peaceful missionary effort, indeed it does happen all over the world peacefully.

As I said earlier the Christians that tried to convert me seemed to be decent individuals. It's the mass consent and lack of questioning of systems (established by man not God) that scares the hell out of me. I believe a congregation of such people led by a charismatic leader and you have another world conflict, another genocide.....leaving us saying "oops we did it again"

As I said earlier the Christians that tried to convert me seemed to be decent individuals. It's the mass consent and lack of questioning of systems (established by man not God) that scares the hell out of me.

I agree, this is where the problems seep in. If people are Biblically literate and able to question their minister calmly when they disagree, that is one thing. When people are Biblically illiterate, many external agendas can enter in. This is the problem.
    I believe a congregation of such people led by a charismatic leader and you have another world conflict, another genocide.....leaving us saying "oops we did it again"

Do you think that religion is the only reason why people have carried out genocides? Haven't leaders who did not have a religion carry out genocide?

You are one of the first Christians that I still want to discuss this further after posing my earlier question, I wish there were more like you.
    You have a less insane view that the billions of non-Christians are(in short) equal to you....that's the impression I got from you anyway, pardon me if I'm wrong.

All men are born sinners. All men are born in need of salvation. All men are born equally lost before God. God loves all men and God would want all saved (until such time as God deems a man lost for good). Not all men will be saved: whether calling themselves Christian or sheep headers up the side of a mountain in Tibet.

The person who is a Christian (or an In Christ) isn't one who carries a man-made label. He's one carrying a God-made label. Whether he knows he carries that label or not is irrelevant. I happen to know I do - many, I'm sure, do not.

-
    So, now I ask you, why did you pick Christianity as you from of belief? I mean from an outsider's point of view it is one of many other self righteous systems that want to "save" the rest of the world.

I didn't pick Christianity. I was saved by God's grace and found out subsequently that God happens to have provided for his communicating with man via something called the Bible. From the insiders point of view, Christianity is the only non-self-righteous faith system in the world. In every other faith system (including ones carrying Christian labels: Roman Catholicism, Jehovahs Witness, Mormonism etc) a mans position before a holy God is established by what man does. Man makes himself righteous by living according to Gods laws - in other words. In Christianity however, a man is made righteous before a holy God not by what the man does, but by what God has done for the man. Such a man need do nothing at all in order to be considered righteous by God.

That's why it's called the gospel of (God's) grace. Some Christian-labelled Religions attempt to circumvent this by supposing salvation to occur by mans work + Gods grace, but when examined they really only come down to the same thing: self-righteous religions where a man makes himself right with God by following God's laws to this degree or that.

-
    From history alone one can see how religions started wars, and (I'm sorry) sometimes it makes me sick that people can still follow religious orders after all the horrible things that they led to

You don't need Religion to start war. You only need man. Man is selfish by nature and as a result, war is sure to follow. That he finds his excuse and self-justification in Religion is neither here nor there - if it wasn't Religion, it's be something else. Neither of the world wars of the last century were Religiously motivated yet the slaughter knew no bounds.

I'd add that a grace-saved Christian is still a sinner - so it's not as if being saved is certain to ensure war won't occur.

If religious orders that systematically control people did not exist genocides would not have been possible on such scales......but maybe as a species we simple require hierarchy to function...i don;t know.

But the more I think about the clearer the difference between myself and believers is.I have not studied the bible, so this will sound arrogant but;

Strip EVERYTHING and i mean EVERYTHING down from a religion that was not said by Jesus Christ. And what you have left simply is : Be a decent human being!!!!!!!
    Eh? I know that anyway.....why do I have to join a system of worship do realize that?

So what is the remaining difference? _ I (hope) don't think that who ever does not think the way I do is doomed and unless go over there and "save" him he is a lost soul.....

That's as simply as I can put it

If religious orders that systematically control people did not exist genocides would not have been possible on such scales......but maybe as a species we simple require hierarchy to function...i don;t know.

Have you never heard about Communism? Over 100 million people died through genocide as a result of it.

Don't be naiive. Religion doesn't cause war, it is the corruption of religion that causes wars. This is something we have to be careful of.
    But the more I think about the clearer the difference between myself and believers is.I have not studied the bible, so this will sound arrogant but;

You should really read it.
    Strip EVERYTHING and i mean EVERYTHING down from a religion that was not said by Jesus Christ. And what you have left simply is : Be a decent human being!!!!!!!

How do you choose what to strip down, and what not to strip down. Jesus Christ said far more than just be a decent human being. He called people to believe in God, in fact this was higher than to love ones neighbour. It is only through believing in God that everything comes into perspective. I'd advise you to read the Gospels.
    Eh? I know that anyway.....why do I have to join a system of worship do realize that?

It is my view that nobody is good without God. Not one.

Why? We've all done wrong. It is through belief in Jesus' crucifixion that we receive forgiveness and are able to live good lives in God's presence. This is my view anyway. Perhaps some of the other Christians will correct me.
    So what is the remaining difference? _ I (hope) don't think that who ever does not think the way I do is doomed and unless go over there and "save" him he is a lost soul.....

This isn't what I think. I think that:
    1) We have all sinned.
    2) Jesus Christ is blameless.
    3) Jesus Christ offered Himself as atonement for the sins of the world.
    4) Therefore we have been forgiven, if we are willing to believe in Him.

The question isn't whether or not you believe what I do. The question is do you want to accept His forgiveness or do you want to live without it?

• Advertisement

All men are born sinners. All men are born in need of salvation. All men are born equally lost before God. God loves all men and God would want all saved (until such time as God deems a man lost for good). Not all men will be saved: whether calling themselves Christian or sheep headers up the side of a mountain in Tibet.

The person who is a Christian (or an In Christ) isn't one who carries a man-made label. He's one carrying a God-made label. Whether he knows he carries that label or not is irrelevant. I happen to know I do - many, I'm sure, do not.

-

I didn't pick Christianity. I was saved by God's grace and found out subsequently that God happens to have provided for his communicating with man via something called the Bible. From the insiders point of view, Christianity is the only non-self-righteous faith system in the world. In every other faith system (including ones carrying Christian labels: Roman Catholicism, Jehovahs Witness, Mormonism etc) a mans position before a holy God is established by what man does. Man makes himself righteous by living according to Gods laws - in other words. In Christianity however, a man is made righteous before a holy God not by what the man does, but by what God has done for the man. Such a man need do nothing at all in order to be considered righteous by God.

That's why it's called the gospel of (God's) grace. Some Christian-labelled Religions attempt to circumvent this by supposing salvation to occur by mans work + Gods grace, but when examined they really only come down to the same thing: self-righteous religions where a man makes himself right with God by following God's laws to this degree or that.

-

You don't need Religion to start war. You only need man. Man is selfish by nature and as a result, war is sure to follow. That he finds his excuse and self-justification in Religion is neither here nor there - if it wasn't Religion, it's be something else. Neither of the world wars of the last century were Religiously motivated yet the slaughter knew no bounds.

I'd add that a grace-saved Christian is still a sinner - so it's not as if being saved is certain to ensure war won't occur.

I find your stance interesting.
    Question: The members of those religious orders that you have listed as being self righteous, are they then as lost as in the eyes of God as much as I would be, if not more so?
    I suppose at this stage it comes down to faith, which I don't have, for now. And if God does find me (or I find him) I'm sure it will not be a labeled belief.
    Heh, in a way I do hope I am wrong and that there is something else other than nothing after this life...... (thoughts of a dying Athiest...)

I suppose at this stage it comes down to faith, which I don't have, for now. And if God does find me (or I find him) I'm sure it will not be a labeled belief.
    Heh, in a way I do hope I am wrong and that there is something else other than nothing after this life...... (thoughts of a dying Athiest...)

If one hasn't ever given Christianity a real shot, how can one expect to have faith in it?

The real question is this:
    Are you willing to accept there is a real possibility that God is there and we can know about Him?

If not, it isn't that you just don't have it, it's that you aren't open to the possibility of it.

Nearly.. but not quite. You need to add two more words to the conclusion arrived at above in order to accurately reflect Jesus message. Those words are 'or' and 'else'.

The next thing to do is to evaluate whether or not you live as a decent human being. Not some of the time (because Jesus didn't say or imply some of the time). It's all of the time. Or else.

Perhaps now you can begin to see the need for a gospel of grace (were it that you were to conclude yourself not such a decent human being after all)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Indeed. We can show that the New Testament accounts were not likely to have been corrupted through these 40,000 documents. The reason so many exist is probably because it was such an extraordinary claim.

Biblical archaeology has been bringing more and more to the debate also. After claims that Nazareth didn't even exist during Jesus' time, amongst others evidence has come to the contrary. I expect that other such finds will also shed light on the historicity of the Bible, including the Exodus from Egypt.

Hello there Jakkass. You seem a decent, kind hearted sort and are not exactly the kind of figure who would bring Christianity into disrepute through excessive zeal and savagery. Just thought I should point that out :)

With regards to the quoted statement above, I don't think there is that much debate about how authentic the bible manuscripts are - the editing which has taken place has been relatively minimal, considering we have a lot of originals to compare with. Most of the problems really lie in translation, and in those who take the words of the Bible literally. And there is also the historical problem associated with which gospels were accepted when the Church organised itself properly for the first time, and the reasons for why they were excluded. In my opinion this takes much of the halo away from the four gospels, since they were written by fallible men, chosen by fallible men for mainly political reasons, and are alike to the other gospels written but discarded, and forgotten by only the most archaic of scholars. The four gospels in this sense, are far from satisfactory.

A literal reading of the Bible scares the hell out of me to be honest, and its perhaps the one criteria in my mind which distinguishes a fundamentalist from a thoughtful Christian. The problem with the Gospels is not that they were 'invented' but that they were exaggerated; I think there is little doubt that the words of the Bible as written by their respective authors are genuine - the problem is that the people who wrote them are mere mortals, and hence fallible. Which is why when I read the bible (And I have read it numerous times, as well as having read the Koran) I read it as a philosophical tract, not an historical work, or even a literal religious narrative. The gospels are a hagiography, no more, no less, written by mortal men for other mortal men, which are abused, misquoted and misunderstood to the extent that only mortal men are guilty of.

P.S- I also have always found it curious when the religious quote other parts of the New Testament or the Old Testament as a substitute for the Gospels of Jesus Christ - why is that important exactly? Why does a Christian not simply concentrate all his energies on the actual gospels that deals with his life and times? I don't really see how a Christian can consider St. Paul as relevant in any way other than the fact that he was supposedly 'consumed' by God. Christ, as the son of God, should be the forefront and sole arbiter of the Christian faith - why do the prophets of the Old Testament and St. Paul regularly get rolled out in discussions like these?

P.P.S- I am aware that Jesus said something along the lines of 'not forgetting those who came before me', but still.

I was born in Vorkuta in Northern Russia, where my grand parents were sent by Stalin's system. So yes, I have heard of communism. It is just that I see few differences between it and all the other systems of control and oppression.
    I respect you faith but I ask you question systems setup by man...MAN. You can still do so and hold on to your faith.... if anything that will please God more imo.

This debate has come to its natural deadlock between people with and without faith. I am young and still have a lot to learn, so faith might still find me, but i repeat: I will not put myself into a religion that is soaked to the core with blood.

Good luck!

I find your stance interesting.

It's not mine, I'd argue. It's His.

Question: The members of those religious orders that you have listed as being self righteous, are they then as lost as in the eyes of God as much as I would be, if not more so?

As pointed out to you earlier, the man-attached label isn't the salient issue, it's the God-attached label that matters. And so, I'd warrant there will be folk in all those orders who have the God-attached label dangling from them, even as they work (uselessly) to make themselves righteous before God. Salvation doesn't necessarily bring that kind of clarity to a man :)

But if they are truly lost - as in not-(yet perhaps)-found then they are as lost as the secular irreligionist. They, and you (assuming you are lost) are precisely as you were the day you were born - lost. Whether a man engages in the "worship" of a religious false idol or a secular one doesn't alter anything in any material sense. There are only two states of being: lost and found. And one route across the divide: through Christ.

All the rest is window dressing.

]I suppose at this stage it comes down to faith, which I don't have, for now. And if God does find me (or I find him) I'm sure it will not be a labeled belief.

I wouldn't worry about finding yourself with a labelled belief hanging from you if found - I know folk who attended the stuffiest of Churches on being saved - simply gagging for next Sundays service so they could hear more of Gods word (which is anything but stuffy).

But you're right. If you've no faith you've no reason to believe. Whereas Dawkins and the like are wont to consider faith as something blind (a kind of shot in the dark belief) the Bible has quite a different definition of the word. The King James version puts it like this at Hebrew 11:1 "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"

When you have biblical faith it is the same as saying you have evidence. And when you have evidence from something (anything) you believe. Indeed, it's the only reason why one should believe anything. On the basis of evidence.

That that evidence (the utterly compelling evidence I mean) is spiritual in nature (as opposed to empirical, 5 sense stuff) need not put you off. If you are given faith by God it will be because you have already been saved. And you need not worry about the arguments anymore. You believe.

This debate has come to its natural deadlock between people with and without faith. I am young and still have a lot to learn, so faith might still find me, but i repeat: I will not put myself into a religion that is soaked to the core with blood.

I'm not a fan of organised religion, but I do think its important to remember that the abstract concept of religion is very different to the practise of mortal men who are prone to earthly corruption. Just because a preacher wants to preach hatred, he is not reflecting what Christianity is. Unfortunately, religion can be used to justified both the righeous and the tyrannical, but often both sides make their fundamental mistake when they claim God is on their side. You'd do well to cast that mindset from your head, when considering Christianity to be honest. Abstract ideas may inspire violence, but the problem lies with the people who commit the deeds, not the abstract idea.

..but i repeat: I will not put myself into a religion that is soaked to the core with blood.

It's Christs blood spilt which makes possible the cleansing of the soul of man (the nature of forgiveness being that the offended party (God) must pay the full price for the offence himself - which God (Christ) did.

I wouldn't let the blood spilt by sinners who weren't God-labelled Christians, or the blood spilt by sinners who were God-labelled Christians deflect you from that central issue.

The only Christianity that matters is blood-soaked. It cannot be helped - otherwise forgiveness cannot be administered by God to man.

Denerick wrote: »
    Hello there Jakkass. You seem a decent, kind hearted sort and are not exactly the kind of figure who would bring Christianity into disrepute through excessive zeal and savagery. Just thought I should point that out :)

I try. It's up for other people to assess what kind of figure I am.
    And there is also the historical problem associated with which gospels were accepted when the Church organised itself properly for the first time, and the reasons for why they were excluded. In my opinion this takes much of the halo away from the four gospels, since they were written by fallible men, chosen by fallible men for mainly political reasons, and are alike to the other gospels written but discarded, and forgotten by only the most archaic of scholars. The four gospels in this sense, are far from satisfactory.

Alas, this is a favourable interpretation. However, the reality is that they chose the Gospels which were most reliable by dating and origin. The only books accepted in the New Testament were those written before 100AD.

How are the four Gospels "far from satisfactory"?
    A literal reading of the Bible scares the hell out of me to be honest, and its perhaps the one criteria in my mind which distinguishes a fundamentalist from a thoughtful Christian.

The Bible is a book of numerous literary genres. Certain parts are indeed to be interpreted literally, others allegorically. For example I don't interpret the parables of Jesus literally because they are intended to be allegorical. Likewise, I don't interpret Jesus' moral commandments in the Sermon of the Mount allegorically because they are intended to be followed.

Common sense. I don't personally regard myself as a fundamentalist, others are welcome to their views however :)
    The problem with the Gospels is not that they were 'invented' but that they were exaggerated; I think there is little doubt that the words of the Bible as written by their respective authors are genuine - the problem is that the people who wrote them are mere mortals, and hence fallible.

This is the issue. What reasoning do you have for this? This is mere assumption and nothing more.
    Which is why when I read the bible (And I have read it numerous times, as well as having read the Koran) I read it as a philosophical tract, not an historical work, or even a literal religious narrative. The gospels are a hagiography, no more, no less, written by mortal men for other mortal men, which are abused, misquoted and misunderstood to the extent that only mortal men are guilty of.

It appears more that you do not want to believe as you think it insults your intelligence.
    P.S- I also have always found it curious when the religious quote other parts of the New Testament or the Old Testament as a substitute for the Gospels of Jesus Christ - why is that important exactly?

Jesus says this concerning the Old Testament:
    For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?

The Bible is a full revelation. Other parts of the Old Testament refer to morality, and even prophesy about Jesus Himself. Jesus quotes the Old Testament prophets extensively, as such there is no reason to believe that these writings aren't legitimate. As for the New Testament Apostles, Jesus said the following:
    “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

Jesus said that He would tell His Apostles more when they were ready through the Holy Spirit. This is the reason why we regard the Apostles so highly.
    Why does a Christian not simply concentrate all his energies on the actual gospels that deals with his life and times?

Precisely because God revealed more to us, and all of it is one revelation.
    I don't really see how a Christian can consider St. Paul as relevant in any way other than the fact that he was supposedly 'consumed' by God. Christ, as the son of God, should be the forefront and sole arbiter of the Christian faith - why do the prophets of the Old Testament and St. Paul regularly get rolled out in discussions like these?

See above.

Alas, this is a favourable interpretation. However, the reality is that they chose the Gospels which were most reliable by dating and origin. The only books accepted in the New Testament were those written before 100AD.

How are the four Gospels "far from satisfactory"?

They are far from satisfactory because they are not the direct words of Christ. They are a flawed chronicle, and we have no evidence to suggest otherwise. At least Muslims (Rather scarily) believe that the Koran is the direct word of God spoken from heaven. At least they have that level of self assurance, Christianity cannot claim the same.
    This is the issue. What reasoning do you have for this? This is mere assumption and nothing more.

How is it an assumption? Do you deny that the Gospels were written by mere mortals and hence open to the flaws that the rest of mankind are guilty of? Nobody takes even the classics of antiquity literally, not when it comes to numbers or speechs at any rate. Why should the Gospels be considered any different? 'Journalism' as a concept simply didn't exist at this time. I'm hardly alone in thinking this.
    It appears more that you do not want to believe as you think it insults your intelligence.

?

And here I thought we were having a pleasant conversation. Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Malty_T wrote: »
    You don't seriously believe Homer's tales as factual accounts?

From Wiki:

Heinrich Schliemann (German pronunciation: [ˈʃliːman]; (January 6, 1822, Neubukow, Mecklenburg-Schwerin – December 26, 1890, Naples) was a German businessman and archaeologist, and an advocate of the historical reality of places mentioned in the works of Homer. Schliemann was an important archaeological excavator of Troy, along with the Mycenaean sites Mycenae and Tiryns. His successes lent material weight to the idea that Homer's Iliad and Virgil's Aeneid reflect actual historical events.

I'm not a fan of organised religion, but I do think its important to remember that the abstract concept of religion is very different to the practise of mortal men who are prone to earthly corruption. Just because a preacher wants to preach hatred, he is not reflecting what Christianity is. Unfortunately, religion can be used to justified both the righeous and the tyrannical, but often both sides make their fundamental mistake when they claim God is on their side. You'd do well to cast that mindset from your head, when considering Christianity to be honest. Abstract ideas may inspire violence, but the problem lies with the people who commit the deeds, not the abstract idea.

I accept the possibility of a higher being but not Christian,
    So what do you believe? Are you looking?
    Is it that you believe in God but you don't want to be under any organized religion?

They are far from satisfactory because they are not the direct words of Christ. They are a flawed chronicle, and we have no evidence to suggest otherwise. At least Muslims (Rather scarily) believe that the Koran is the direct word of God spoken from heaven. At least they have that level of self assurance, Christianity cannot claim the same.

They all include Jesus' words. I have yet to see what is wrong with having the perspectives of the writers. In fact it offers a richer narrative than just one. Some put more emphasis on some parts than others which allows us to have a fuller view. This is an advantage.

We can have the assurance that the writings are authentic.
    How is it an assumption? Do you deny that the Gospels were written by mere mortals and hence open to the flaws that the rest of mankind are guilty of? Nobody takes even the classics of antiquity literally, not when it comes to numbers or speechs at any rate. Why should the Gospels be considered any different? 'Journalism' as a concept simply didn't exist at this time. I'm hardly alone in thinking this.

Mortals with divine inspiration in a Christian view.
    ?

And here I thought we were having a pleasant conversation. Oh well.

We are still.

That's effectively what you seem to be putting across. It would be demeaning to your intelligence if you decided to believe because it isn't a "historical work". Why isn't it a historical work, or what reason does one have to dismiss this?

Please correct me if I have taken you wrongly.

They all include Jesus' words. I have yet to see what is wrong with having the perspectives of the writers. In fact it offers a richer narrative than just one. Some put more emphasis on some parts than others which allows us to have a fuller view. This is an advantage.

We can have the assurance that the writings are authentic.

How can you be sure they are the words of Jesus Christ?

They are authentic works by mortals, but are not the infallible text of the divine. They are the closest thing a Christian will ever come to knowing about their God, but it is simply not enough for me to read them and believe them as direct words of Jesus. In reality, they are the barrier between understanding what Jesus said, and the truth.
    Mortals with divine inspiration in a Christian view.

Divine inspiration is far too easy an answer, created solely for this difficult question.
    We are still.

That's effectively what you seem to be putting across. It would be demeaning to your intelligence if you decided to believe because it isn't a "historical work". Why isn't it a historical work, or what reason does one have to dismiss this?

Please correct me if I have taken you wrongly.

Its not demeaning, its just that I haven't got enough proof. Don't try to categorise me or box me away as some easily forgetable dissident. I haven't done this with you.

I accept the possibility of a higher being but not Christian,
    So what do you believe? Are you looking?
    Is it that you believe in God but you don't want to be under any organized religion?

I believe that I know nothing. I believe that the sum total of information that my brain will ever process will never be enough other than to give me but the most transitory insight into the nature of existance. (Poncy thing to say, I know)

you have earned a subscriber

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I believe that I know nothing. I believe that the sum total of information that my brain will ever process will never be enough other than to give me but the most transitory insight into the nature of existance. (Poncy thing to say, I know)

How wonderfully postmodern of you! But what are you actually saying about truth? Is there such a thing and can we know it (at least within degrees of certainty)?

How wonderfully postmodern of you! But what are you actually saying about truth? Is there such a thing and can we know it (at least within degrees of certainty)?

I'm not a postmodernist at all! Ugh. I am a traditionalist when it comes to objectivity (A disciple of G.R. Elton) but even at that, all we can ever know about anything is an 'approximation' of truth. What I'm saying is that my noble attempts to understand perfection are ludicrously limited and constrained by my lack of knowledge; and as much as I may try to improve my mind, I will only ever be able to reach a certain end. To use a lazily constructed analogy, what if I spent all of my life digging one or two holes, and getting really deep, but ignoring all the other mounds on the earth which are unexplored, and may hold the key to enlightenment? Would I not be wasting my time in those one or two holes? Would I not be better assuming that there is a wealth of knowledge beyond those holes, forever outside of my grasp?

In other words, is it not more reasonable to assume that nobody holds the 'correct' answers when we get down to abstract, meaning of life stuff? Is a meta narrative possible?

P.S- Interesting to note who thanked you! I take it that the post modernist tag has been used before?

That is a tough question to ask, can you answer it? I am assuming you are not religious other wise you would not be asking it- you would know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

A literal reading of the Bible scares the hell out of me to be honest

All Christians read certain parts of the Bible literally while none read it in its entirity as such.

What you say in this thread is what you have said in the other thread you posted on. Contrary to your claim that you believe you know nothing, you are quite happy to take a categorical stance about the truth of the bible.

As for digging holes, I would wonder why you bother if you think that your object of desire is always outside your grasp.

Advertisement