Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear Bolivia Special 7.45pm repeat 7.45pm

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

still good tv and thats all that matters at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I thought it was brilliant.

Hammond in the car in the dark with the insects was the highlight for me, feckin' hilarious.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

bizmark wrote: »
    still good tv and thats all that matters at the end of the day
    exactly, some people tend to over analyse things though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bolivia special is the hit of Sunday (from Guardian),
    Jeremy Clarkson and his fellow Top Gear presenters scored a Christmas hit on Sunday 27 December with their a one-off show from Bolivia. The special edition of the BBC2 programme was the most-watched on the day, winning a 28.1% audience share with 6.4m viewers.

It beat the next most popular show, BBC1's Cranford, which is based on Elizabeth Gaskell's novel. It was watched by 5.4m viewers on Sunday evening, a 24.4% share.

Top Gear also proved more popular than the BBC1's Sunday evening episode of hospital drama Casualty, aired at the same time, which was watched by 4.5m viewers, an 18.3% share.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

was that not the first episode ever where no form of a stig was in the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,831 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

was that not the first episode ever where no form of a stig was in the show.

The Polar Challenge ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Apparently, that was set up, i was disappointed to hear. The white Land-Cruiser coming against him was one of the crew's vehicles rather than a random motorist.Hard to know really what to make of it because of that

Watched it back on iplayer - the landcruiser makes a split-second appearance when May's Suzuki breaks down - making it almost cetainly a production car. But yes, amazing viewing nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

There was a classic line when Hammond forgot to take a tablet - I forget what for - and he said: "If I was a girl, I'd be pregnant all the time." :D:D

I only remembered this last night when I was thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I thought it was great, best thing on TV during Xmas (Besides the Father Ted Xmas special, that never gets old :D)

There was a lot of bad fake scenes that took away from the humour but overall it was A+.

Dunno why people whinge about the fake scenes or the fact that they "fix" their cars. If they were left to actually fix their vehicles then the specials would be short and crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Dunno why people whinge about the fake scenes or the fact that they "fix" their cars. If they were left to actually fix their vehicles then the specials would be short and crap.

I'd say they can do a fair bit mechanically (apart from Clarkson), but yeh, they'd be lost without the support crew, as would most TV presenters.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

The Polar Challenge ;)

The Stig wasn't in the Vietnam one either.
    He did appear in the DVD extras though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The end bit was fantastic, that huge drop down the dunes :eek:

There were lots of tyre tracks on the slope so the local must have a bit of fun on it regularly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Any idea when it will be shown again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Really enjoyed this Xmas special. Even though Vietnam was bikes, its my favourite so far. But this was right up there.

Sometimes its abit :rolleyes: - when the lads start "fixing" propshafts or when clarkson's life is in imminent danger on the edge of a cliff, theres so much of it staged, but theres nothing wrong with that. Top Gear is entertainment with afew car reviews thrown in, they made the decision to move away from the old anal format years ago, and im glad they did. Do you want to watch the lads driving the new nissan micra around the test track or do you watch an extravaganza like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't get why nobody believes that they could fix the prop shaft. I know a lot of the show is staged but I think they genuinely do know how to repair cars (Well May anyway)

I watched it again the other day and the only bit that pissed me off was the start when they were trying to get the cars off the barge. It just went on way too long and was silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Horsetiger

For those who missed this epic, repeated on BBC Three this Friday at 7 in full uncut glory :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

the episode going from one end to the other of vietnam was the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

phasers wrote: »
    I don't get why nobody believes that they could fix the prop shaft. I know a lot of the show is staged but I think they genuinely do know how to repair cars (Well May anyway)

I agree. Clarksons a lazy wimp but the other two know their stuff about cars alright especially May, a bit of a geek & i reckon he's spent a lot of time poking around the dozens of various cars he's owned in his life. He seems like the sort of guy that enjoys the mechanics of a car more than driving them.

Clarksons useless, whenever theres a task that includes physical work he always goes into a sulk & tries to get out of it. I'd say he was a right little mammys boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

The bit where Clarkson and that white jeep are at the edge of the cliff was scary stuff, and my jaw hit the floor when I saw how steep their descent to the finish was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

very entertaining episode (we all know large parts of the show are staged, but really who cares). I never want to go to Bolivia though ("we arrived in La Paz, the world's highest, and worst, capital city")

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

The didnt 'fix' the Propshaft, they Removed it entirely and most of the guts of the Broken diff

this turns the Cruiser into Front Wheel drive.

I've done it meself when I've popped an axel, tis feckinannoyinlslow drivin with 50KPH being yer realistic top speed.

I was annoyed with Hammond Chicken out on the Dune, but I suppose someone decided that it was too risky for HIM, but not May or Clarkson.

Overall I thought it was a decent bit of telly, Surprised at the Cruiser Breakin and teh Rangey workin :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great episode, the Vietnam one was a fantastic piece of television
    ".... Vietnam... you wouldn't know... you weren't there!!" Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,831 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

ShamoBuck wrote: »
    Great episode, the Vietnam one was a fantastic piece of television
    ".... Vietnam... you don't know man... you weren't there!!" Classic

FYQ ;):pac:

Advertisement