Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear Bolivia Special 7.45pm repeat 7.45pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

phasers wrote: »
    Well in fairness they do know their cars and reguarly mend them/ build them

my arse:rolleyes: thats what you see on TV, but behind the scenes its a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I'd say James May does, Hammond may have topped up his oil a few times, Clarkson wouldn't know what a spanner was, yet alone what to do with one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Round Ireland in reverse gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

fryup wrote: »
    see Hammond & May "fixing" the driveshaft on the Toyota near the end ya right:rolleyes: i bet its the background staff that do all the grafting i.e. fixing the cars, making the bridges, clearing the overgrowth

Why do you bother coming in here just to moan and complain and try stir **** up?

Why don't you just feck off

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Overall, not much of a special. Obvious complaints relate to too much pissing about at the start trying to get the vehicles off of the boat thingy and the fake bickering, but I think can leave those to one side. I think for me where things went wrong was that it all felt a bit bitty, just bits lashed together..the Vietnam episode seemed to have a clearer narrative and structure (if you can use those words in relation to this show) and I think it was a lot better at giving us a sense of the country and its culture. This episode didn't do that so much apart from the dodgy roads and some scenery. Not to say it was completely empty, bits here and there were enjoyable. Also, in Vietnam I think they interacted with the locals a lot more and were definitely out of their comfort zone to some extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I liked this episode.

They should do the ring of kerry in a bendy bus next :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Very enjoyable episode IMO.

The "getting the cars off the boat" & the death of Hammons toyota were a bit contrived but that didnt take away from an excellent show overall.

The mountain road segment was genuinely scary and driving at 16,000 feet doesnt look like something this sea-level dweller would like to try.

I think it was a good job by all.
    Compare it to the misery saturated drivel like eastenders and one can have very few complaints! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Compare it to the misery saturated drivel like eastenders and one can have very few complaints! :D

Never underestimate the complaining potential of some boardsies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

feckin brilliant show.. should have a Top Gear special every week! :D

My bum cheeks were clenched when Clarkson was passing the white jeep on that nasty road....

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Is this been peplsy this week, I missed it, forgot it was Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

wtf is peplsy?

educated guess is that you're asking if it's repeated anytime soon? a quick read of this thread suggests it's repeated tonight at 7:45pm and on Dave in about two months time.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

wtf is peplsy?

educated guess is that you're asking if it's repeated anytime soon? a quick read of this thread suggests it's repeated tonight at 7:45pm and on Dave in about two months time.

replay, maybe? get it on the BBC, how Dave can cut 15 mins of this without ruining it I don't know..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

my arse:rolleyes: thats what you see on TV, but behind the scenes its a different story
    May and Hammond are actually pretty competent mechanics when it comes to bikes or cars, yes they probably did get some help with the Toyota at the end but that was a big job. So don't go blurting around here talking about something you don't even know about.

Clarkson is the one who knows absolutely nothing about that stuff. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

copacetic wrote: »
    replay, maybe? get it on the BBC, how Dave can cut 15 mins of this without ruining it I don't know..

More like 30 minutes when you account for ad breaks.

Degag wrote: »
    More like 30 minutes when you account for ad breaks.
    he was accounting for ad breaks :pac:.

I don't think so.... Dave will cut it down to an hour in total including ad breaks, so in actual fact the length of the episode will only be about 45 minutes.

sorry i forgot last night's episode started at 7:45 and ended at 8:00.

yeh so moral of the story, just watch it tonight on bbc.

they cut down hour long episodes to 46 mins to fit them in a hour including ads. So I'm assuming they will give this one an hour and and 15 including ads so still only cut out 15-20 mins.

they cut down hour long episodes to 46 mins to fit them in a hour including ads. So I'm assuming they will give this one an hour and and 15 including ads so still only cut out 15-20 mins.

I doubt it mate, with the other specials they still cut them down to an hour total.

Degag wrote: »
    I doubt it mate, with the other specials they still cut them down to an hour total.

didn't think the other specials ran the hour and 15 though? Either way I think we can agree the main thing is to never watch top gear on Dave, unless desperate! You are missing at least 14 min, possibly a lot more...

• Advertisement

didn't think the other specials ran the hour and 15 though?

Yes, you may be right.

repeat just started on BBC2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

As a long time Tog gear fan i thought it was pretty brilliant actually. Yeah i know some of its scripted & its all a bit pre-planned but all in all its the best bit of television ive seen in months.
    The Landcruiser was knackered when they bought it & was hardly fit for the trip in the first place.
    But thats bbc? They wanted the range rover to win in the end so they rolled the bloody thing down a hill & wrecked it:rolleyes:

Anyway i was amazed. Brilliant music, great scenery, exciting, scary & funny.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I'm a long time fan of the programme as well and it was genuinely riveting and entertaining. I'd say JC needed new underwear after the road started crumbing beneath his tyre on the mountain road of death.

How on earth those bus and truck drivers that had to pass them on the dodgy side of the road must cope I don't know.

Gekko wrote: »
    How on earth those bus and truck drivers that had to pass them on the dodgy side of the road must cope I don't know.
    Not only that but how the hell they do it with such speed is beyond me i was literally like :eek: everytime they showed a bus/truck coming right for them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Gekko wrote: »
    I'd say JC needed new underwear after the road started crumbing beneath his tyre on the mountain road of death.

Apparently, that was set up, i was disappointed to hear. The white Land-Cruiser coming against him was one of the crew's vehicles rather than a random motorist.Hard to know really what to make of it because of that

Great episode though overall IMO, one of the best ever, the scenery was stunning in HD. Just hope now it can be backed up with a solid last episode. Had been very disappointed with that museum one last weekend..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Atwork

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Apparently, that was set up, i was disappointed to hear. The white Land-Cruiser coming against him was one of the crew's vehicles rather than a random motorist.Hard to know really what to make of it because of that

Great episode though overall IMO, one of the best ever, the scenery was stunning in HD. Just hope now it can be backed up with a solid last episode. Had been very disappointed with that museum one last weekend..

As soon as I seen that Land-Cruiser I thought it was a crew vehicle. Compared to everything else they meet on that road it didn't look right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It could've been my backside filling that side of the road, doesn't make it less daunting. :)

Still prefer Botswana though..and always will..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

dfx- wrote: »
    Still prefer Botswana though..and always will..

That's on Dave now ... sweet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

see Hammond & May "fixing" the driveshaft on the Toyota near the end ya right:rolleyes: i bet its the background staff that do all the grafting i.e. fixing the cars, making the bridges, clearing the overgrowth
    Bryn wrote: »
    Why do you bother coming in here just to moan and complain and try stir **** up?

Why don't you just feck off

No, why don't you feck off, i'm entitled to my opinion and i'm not trying to stir things up. I like TG but all i'm saying is don't believe everything you see on screen alot of it is staged.

thats exactly what i'm getting at, do you really think they would put Clarkson's life in danger for that shot...all you saw was a close up of JC'c face and a close up of the wheel at the cliff edge and then a long distance shot of the range rover in which you couldn't make out who was driving

Advertisement