Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to leave the Protestant church?

Options
  • 27-12-2009 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi. A friend recently told me of a website, www.countmeout.ie, which is for those that wish to leave the Catholic church to do so. I was wondering if there is an equivalent website for those who are Protestant and wish to leave? I was born into a Protestant family and never bought into any of it and I wish to be officially distanced from christianity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Hi. A friend recently told me of a website, www.countmeout.ie, which is for those that wish to leave the Catholic church to do so. I was wondering if there is an equivalent website for those who are Protestant and wish to leave? I was born into a Protestant family and never bought into any of it and I wish to be officially distanced from christianity.

It depends which Protestant Church you're talking about. Some don't keep any records of members. With others you have to renew the membership every year.

Are you talking Church of Ireland? Methodist? Presbyterian? Brethren? Baptist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 ShroomPicker

I'm Church of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

have you approched Church of Ireland. and asked them?

tudlytops wrote: »
    have you approched Church of Ireland. and asked them?

No I haven't, I was hoping there's be a website like there is for Catholics. If not then I have no idea how to go about it, so any info would be appreciated.

No I haven't, I was hoping there's be a website like there is for Catholics. If not then I have no idea how to go about it, so any info would be appreciated.

I understand, i wouldn't like to have to approach a church to say I'm quitting either.
    But you probably will have to.
    Why not just walk away, does it matter if they have some record or not, really?

• Advertisement

I walked away many years ago, about 15 years ago. It has always niggled me that I'm officially listed as being a Protestant Christian, when in reality I am not. I know I could just distance myself like I have already done, but for me its not enough. I want the piece of mind of knowing I'm officially a non-christian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I understand, i wouldn't like to have to approach a church to say I'm quitting either.
    But you probably will have to.
    Why not just walk away, does it matter if they have some record or not, really?

I don't think it's comparing like with like.

Roman Catholicism claims people as members based on the fact that they were baptised into the Church.

Most Protestant churches would not make any such claim. So it may be that there is a historical record that you were baptised as a baby - but unfortunately the website has not been invented that can change history.

Maybe one of our Church of Ireland posters could clarify this for us? I suspect that you probably aren't currently counted in anywhere, so there may not be anything to be counted out from.

PDN wrote: »
    I don't think it's comparing like with like.

Roman Catholicism claims people as members based on the fact that they were baptised into the Church.

Most Protestant churches would not make any such claim. So it may be that there is a historical record that you were baptised as a baby - but unfortunately the website has not been invented that can change history.

Maybe one of our Church of Ireland posters could clarify this for us? I suspect that you probably aren't currently counted in anywhere, so there may not be anything to be counted out from.

I don't need to change history, I just need to be removed from Christianity. If Protestants don't keep such records then cool, no need for me to worry anymore, but I'm fairly sure I am registered, and I had my confirmation when in secondary school (I was forced to).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

:rolleyes:

"Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh." Luke 6:45. You either believe it and speak it forth or you don't and speak it forth. That determines your inness or outness of any religion or any world view really. The Christian says: "For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." Romans 10:10. And James says that the mouth is the bridal of the body, James 3:2, and he was right. We will defend something with more passion that we have said, than we would the same thing if we hadn't said it. That's why we find it very hard to admit when we are wrong. It takes a real man/woman to admit that they were wrong about something that they previously thought they were right about. So whatever it is that you believe to be true, be that Catholicism or Protestantism or Atheism then when you mouth it with the tongue, that is what defines the person you are. If you don't know either way or have not been swayed to one position or the other then you are like a leaf in the wind, having no root in anything of substance. I can respect atheists who take a stand and speak forth what they believe to be true, but I hate agnostics who won't take a leap of faith on anything, who just sit on the fence and put everyone else down for actually taking a stand on something. It takes balls to take a stand on something that you believe to be true and most agnostics I've met haven't got any. Not sure where all that came from or what it has to do with the OP or the price of onions but there you go... :(

P.S. Just been to see Avatar. WOW!!! :eek:

I'm not an atheist or an agnostic. Nor do I believe the teachings of any organised religion. I have my own views which I have come to on my own after years and years of thought on the subject, which I won't elaborate on as this is a Christian thread.

• Advertisement

I don't need to change history, I just need to be removed from Christianity. If Protestants don't keep such records then cool, no need for me to worry anymore, but I'm fairly sure I am registered, and I had my confirmation when in secondary school (I was forced to).

can i ask, why is it so important that there aren't any records? I mean I was raise catholic, I walked away, it doesn't affect me in anyway to no that there are records there of my upbringing.

the way I see it its like anything else i have changed in my life, its part of my past and therefore part of me.

can i ask, why is it so important that there aren't any records? I mean I was raise catholic, I walked away, it doesn't affect me in anyway to no that there are records there of my upbringing.

the way I see it its like anything else i have changed in my life, its part of my past and therefore part of me.

Its not old records that show I was baptised a christian that are the problem. Its the thought that I might still be regietered as one that is the problem.

Its not old records that show I was baptised a christian that are the problem. Its the thought that I might still be regietered as one that is the problem.

Why is that a problem?

Tell me to mind my own business as you only asked for information not the Spanish inquisition. :)

But why does that bother you, I am sore i am still registered somewhere, but it has no effect on my life, so I'm not bothered.

Why is that a problem?

Because I oppose the christian church very strongly and I do not want to be still registered as a christian...

Tell me to mind my own business as you only asked for information not the Spanish inquisition. :)

But why does that bother you, I am sore i am still registered somewhere, but it has no effect on my life, so I'm not bothered.

Its just something that bothers me whenever I think about it. It might sound like a trivial thing to most people but to me its very important.

Because I oppose the christian church very strongly and I do not want to be still registered as a christian...

If I knew how you would be able to go about unregistering then I would be happy to oblige and tell you but I don't, but best of luck with it regardless.

If I knew how you would be able to go about unregistering then I would be happy to oblige and tell you but I don't, but best of luck with it regardless.

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: I'd advise you to send a letter to the Bishop of the relevant diocese where you were baptised.

I must ask you though. What are your issues with:
    1) The Anglican Church (In this case the Church of Ireland)
    2) Christianity in general.

I won't go fully into my issues with the church as this is a section of the forum for Christians, and while I do not want to be a Christian, I respect those that do and so shall hold my tongue on the matter. I would only offend people if I elaborated, and that's not my aim. Lets just say I see through the hypocrisy.

It is not the Anglican church in particular that I have the problem with (The Catholic church is far, far worse), but organised religion as a whole. If I was born a Muslim, for example, I would feel the same - I would want to be removed from the organisation. I just want to be free from all of it.

• Advertisement

I won't go fully into my issues with the church as this is a section of the forum for Christians, and while I do not want to be a Christian, I respect those that do and so shall hold my tongue on the matter. I would only offend people if I elaborated, and that's not my aim. Lets just say I see through the hypocrisy.

You're right, if there was a church with no hypocrites, it'd be empty. Empty precisely because not one of us are perfect.

I have issues with how Christianity is often executed, but the reality is when humans are involved, there will always be issues. We just have to learn how to deal with them in the best manner possible.
    It is not the Anglican church in particular that I have the problem with (The Catholic church is far, far worse), but organised religion as a whole. If I was born a Muslim, for example, I would feel the same - I would want to be removed from the organisation. I just want to be free from all of it.

How would this make it any more free?

Jakkass wrote: »
    You're right, if there was a church with no hypocrites, it'd be empty. Empty precisely because not one of us are perfect.
    True, including me. But I don't feel that belonging to a church will make me any more perfect.

Jakkass wrote: »
    How would this make it any more free?

It would make me feel free. Free in the knowledge that I have found my own path in life and have no need for the celebrations and rituals that belong to mainstream religions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

If Protestants don't keep such records then cool, no need for me to worry anymore, but I'm fairly sure I am registered, and I had my confirmation when in secondary school (I was forced to).

It occurs to me that your ignorance about the religion of your family betrays that the years of private thought you engaged on to become so opposed to Jesus might not have gone deep enough. Furthermore, how is Islam an "organised religion" in the same was as the CofI?

To address your initial concern: Without attending communion or contributing for years, you can be certain your diocese no longer counts you and you control your own census return...

It would make me feel free. Free in the knowledge that I have found my own path in life and have no need for the celebrations and rituals that belong to mainstream religions.

What path is this? Genuinely curious?

You would laugh and call me a nutcase if I told you, as would most people. Its something that cannot be comprehended without experiencing it. I have no wish to preach my views to people though. I don't claim to know the real answers to anything but I feel I'm going in the correct direction for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

You would laugh and call me a nutcase if I told you, as would most people. Its something that cannot be comprehended without experiencing it. I have no wish to preach my views to people though. I don't claim to know the real answers to anything but I feel I'm going in the correct direction for me.

I don't think we would call you a nutcase (it's generally not our style here), but we might disagree with you. Anyway, could it be that Excelsior's post is worth a little meditation on your part? Perhaps in rejecting religion (a construct of man that is open to all manner of corruptions) you don't fully understand what Jesus is about.

Sorry Excelsior, I didn't spot your post before. I forgot all about the census. Thing is, there is no word for what I am... maybe I'll make one up for the next census :P

To Fanny Cradock: I do understand what the notion of Jesus is about. I don't believe there ever was a Jesus, but I get what the figurehead stood for. The whole idea of love and compassion and forgiveness etc, I'm down with that, but those things are just common sense. I don't need to belong to a man made organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

To Fanny Cradock: I do understand what the notion of Jesus is about. I don't believe there ever was a Jesus, but I get what the figurehead stood for. The whole idea of love and compassion and forgiveness etc, I'm down with that, but those things are just common sense. I don't need to belong to a man made organisation.

Interesting! Do you have any specific reasons for doubting Christ existed?

Interesting! Do you have any specific reasons for doubting Christ existed?

I have never seen proof that he did. Also, just the other day a Christian was arguing with me, saying that no religions existed before Christianity... that kind of blindness is quite terrifying. I don't subscribe to blind faith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

OP: as suggested, ring the bishop of the diocese where you were baptised, and ask if there's a procedure. Most likely there is an identical procedure to that of the Catholic church, given that they come from the same background.

I know the guys who run countmeout.ie, so I'll ask them if they have had similar queries.

Dave

Advertisement