Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to be a dad - Advice please

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

Burger i think im around the same time as your wife (Im 19 weeks)
    And i totally agree with spinach your best bet would be get her a present for her ...
    Theres loads of ideas out there for a pregnant lady while still pampering mommy and not baby :)
    How about a pregnancy massage
    Manicure / Pedicure
    Facial
    How about a shopping day for some new maternity clothes
    Other than that get her a gift that you would have gotten her before she got pregnant ..As long as its not a sky diving lesson :p

Plus tbh i dont think i would like my other half packing my maternity bag ..To me thats something exciting that should be done together

Good luck :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Our son may be born aroud my birthday (am 31 weeks now) so we may be otherwise occupied but I would still expect my husband to separate the two of us...for me I would love something small (even normal clothes or makeup or a trip somewhere (for our new larger family) when baby is settled...luckily my husband is wonderful and already knows that. My husband went out of his way to spoil me for Valentines, it is not that I dont think about our baby all the time and worry about him but we are still two adults head over heals in love.

Please remember that your partner is her own person too, not just a baby machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I had to lol at the idea of getting breast pads as a birthday present :D but not in a good way :eek: Really .. no... don't. By all means get a baby bag and fill it with all that stuff closer to the due date and it will be much appreciated but not as a birthday present now.

+ 1 on the pampering suggestions above. How about a night away in a plush hotel with spa, pool etc and a nice meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

I would agree that lovely and all as your idea is, a gift for her might be a better idea. And especially if it has the possibility of going either way if she gets emotional about buying baby things too early.

One of the nicest things I got as a new-baby-gift was actually for me, and I thought it was so thoughtful. It was a hamper of goodies from the gift shop Lush. They have a branch in dublin, maybe even check the web. A hamper of pregnancy-friendly lush goodies could go down well?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

This is a great time for jewelry OP. If you get her a necklace or something like that you can tell her that if it's a girl she can pass it on as a family heirloom etc. My girlfriend has a thing for tinkerbell so I got her a little swarovski ornament of her as a "pregnancy present".

If ye can afford it, head away somewhere nice for a holiday, it'll be the last chance ye'll have for a holiday away with just the two of ye for quite a while!

Be the 'go for'. Whether it's a silly girls magazine and chocolate or a bottle of gaviscon, go get it whatever the hour of the morning and let her know you don't mind doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

Thanks for the replies folks. i think i will steer clear of the bag idea for now and get something for her and not just the bump inside. we are going to new york in 2 weeks so i am going to bring her to fancy dinner and show on one evening and am also going to get her an ipod. i have a bit of time till her actual b-day as well so can think of a few other things.
    she's not mad into the pampering of herself, but around that time if anything is getting to her then maybe i can get her something pampering to ease it. also in NY we are going shopping so might get her some maternity clothes there also.

thanks again

burger

Advertisement