Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Retarded driving I seen yesterday

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Am, it was a black passat :D

No need to be racist!! :D

Unless there was a Black Wizard Driving it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Retarded driving I seen SAW yesterday.

Spelling mistakes and typos can happen to anyone, but bad grammar's just bad grammar. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I would say the passat was carrying enough speed to pull in, pass and pull out but the gaps were a bit small to do this safely. From what the OP is saying, him and the car in the inner lane had to decellerate and/or brake to allow the passat to change lanes. That kind of weaving in and out of lanes is dangerous regardless of the road conditions, names/purposes of lanes.

If the OP judged that there wasn't enough room to move into the inner lane safely then that's his call. But at the same time there was enough room for the passat to get around him!!! (barely)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

saw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

...some dick came flying up in a 08 Passat and then started flashing me to pull in...

ehh...another Passat driver with a "I think I own and drive Bentley" syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Retarded driving I seen SAW yesterday.

Spelling mistakes and typos can happen to anyone, but bad grammar's just bad grammar. ;)
    judas101 wrote: »
    saw

What a great contribution to the thread. Here's an English forum where you can correct as much grammar as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

**EDIT** - have just read OP's clarification and now fully agree with him being blameless, but will leave the story below in for the laugh... :)

Sometimes its possible for "No way Ted" to override all common sense in the overtaking lane. I know because I succumbed to this mindset myself once a couple of years ago (on the N4 as it turned out!) only the red Mondeo behind turned out to be an unmarked Garda car, flicked on the flashing blues, pulled me over, and gave me a right old going over for 20 mins... Totally OTT of them but I had been holding them up from rushing to the opening of a new SPAR after all...:D

Nowadays I keep a wary eye on any Mondeos on the road ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Shame that doesn't happen more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

The reality is, this is far from black and white. It all comes down to judgement imo and some people have better judgement than others.

OP is doing 120km/hr in overtaking lane. All we know is that there's a speeding passat coming up behind him. Lets say there's a tractor in the left lane 500m ahead doing 80km/hr.

You have to do several things in a split second;
    • judge the speed at which the car behind you is travelling at and the distance between the two cars
    • work out the difference in speed between you and him and work out approximately how long it will take for him to overtake you assuming he maintains speed and you maintain speed.
    • accept that if you don't pull in now, you'll force him to slow down, lose momentum and therefore he'll be slower overtaking you if you decide to pull in a second later. This could then force you to braking harder than him in which case the decision to pull in has been a bad one.
    • You also have to make sure no cars are behind the speeding passat, or behind you in any lane going faster than you are because if there are, they could overtake you after the passat and slow down your progress back in to the overtaking lane.

Tonnes of crap there which no book of rules can sum up in one line. It's all judgement.

I regret things every day on the roads - not overtaking that pleb in front when i had the chance to...

not pulling off in that missed split second when i had the chance to from a junction....

not moving in to the overtaking lane when i had the chance to and now i can't because i'm stuck behind a lorry and there's a mile long tail back in the overtaking lane...

Part and parcel of driving - and nothing you say or do will change it. You can't 'black and white' this sort of stuff. Some people are less intelligent than others (lets be blunt and honest about it) and that's reflected in some of the poor driving we see on a daily basis.

Spacial awareness, emotional intelligence, body language (of people & cars) etc... some people have the ability to read them, others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

smemon wrote: »
    Lets say there's a tractor in the left lane 500m ahead doing 80km/hr.

I'd pull in behind this sports Tractor and take a pic I think! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

I don't understand that you don't seem to be able to overtake anymore without someone getting mad,

clear, dry road, opposite traffic was a far distance away and I collected enough speed, but no the driver had to flash lights and he/she tried even speed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

itarumaa wrote: »
    I don't understand that you don't seem to be able to overtake anymore without someone getting mad,

clear, dry road, opposite traffic was a far distance away and I collected enough speed, but no the driver had to flash lights and he/she tried even speed up.

he/she was prob busy listening to the radio or talking on the phone.....not paying attention and checking his/her mirrors.

Advertisement