Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Retarded driving I seen yesterday

Options
  • 21-12-2009 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

I went to Liffey Valley SC yesterday. After the exit from the N4 and outside the Clarion hotel, a blue car (can't remember the make) came up along the outside lane past me and then indicated to get into my lane. Since I wasn't in any hurry and in a happy mood, I allowed them to pull in. 20 yards later the hazards were on and she just parked in front of me. No way past as the outer lane was jammers. I sat on the horn and gave a stern look as I managed to go by. She just smiled. It ruined my happy mood.

And then on the way back west along the M4, doing 125/130kph (120kph according to the sat nav :)) while overtaking a string of cars, some dick came flying up in a 08 Passat and then started flashing me to pull in. "No way Ted" I thought but he wasn't gonna wait so he cut into the left lane where there was a gap, floored it and then drove out in front of me again causing me to brake. Complete jackass. I was flying along and about to pass another car when he pulled this stunt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

And then on the way back west along the M4, doing 125/130kph (120kph according to the sat nav :)) while overtaking a string of cars, some dick came flying up in a 08 Passat and then started flashing me to pull in. "No way Ted" I thought but he wasn't gonna wait so he cut into the left lane where there was a gap, floored it and then drove out in front of me again causing me to brake. Complete jackass. I was flying along and about to pass another car when he pulled this stunt.

Oh no, here we go.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I knew that would get a reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

So you were pi**ed off when someone blocked your path but then went on to block other peoples path while speeding....

You sir are a champion of idiocy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Theres a bit of a difference between someone stopping infront of him and someone else being a nob as he went at the speed limit in the faster moving lane!

Whats idiotic about that? perhaps he shoud have stayed at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭roosterman71

So you were pi**ed off when someone blocked your path but then went on to block other peoples path while speeding....

You sir are a champion of idiocy...

True

I judged it unsafe to pull into a line moving close to 120kph when I was moving faster than it and going to be overtaking it in less than 5 seconds. The guy behind me pulled into the gap, cutting off 1 car on the inside and then doing the same to me. The lady in Liffey Valley just stopped in a queue driving at 10kph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Well it's an overtaking lane and if there was a big enough gap for him to be undertaken, then he should have been in that gap. More danger is caused by aggravating a driver in a hurry than is caused by letting them continue at the speed they so desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

folan wrote: »
    Theres a bit of a difference between someone stopping infront of him and someone else being a nob as he went at the speed limit in the faster moving lane!

Whats idiotic about that? perhaps he shoud have stayed at home!

Proclaiming how nice he is on here for "allowing" someone to change into 'his' lane then contradicting himself by forcing traffic to undercut him. If there was enough room for the other car to undercut then there was enough room for himself to briefly pull in and allow faster traffic by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

True

I judged it unsafe to pull into a line moving close to 120kph when I was moving faster than it and going to be overtaking it in less than 5 seconds. The guy behind me pulled into the gap, cutting off 1 car on the inside and then doing the same to me. The lady in Liffey Valley just stopped in a queue driving at 10kph

Did your man's Passat have an afterburner on the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Wossack

gerout of me way next time!

cormie wrote: »
    Well it's an overtaking lane and if there was a big enough gap for him to be undertaken, then he should have been in that gap. More danger is caused by aggravating a driver in a hurry than is caused by letting them continue at the speed they so desire.

Except he was still passing cars! the point seemed to be that he was undertaken dangerously, not: look at me, i can drive in the outside lane!

The passat was undertaking dangerously, causeing OP to brake suddenly as he was continuing to overtake!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

E39MSport wrote: »
    Proclaiming how nice he is on here for "allowing" someone to change into 'his' lane then contradicting himself by forcing traffic to undercut him. If there was enough room for the other car to undercut then there was enough room for himself to briefly pull in and allow faster traffic by.

If the car pulled in and caused the car (in slow lane) to break, then there was not enough room to pull in

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

If the Passat was able to undertake, it means that the driving lane was free and the OP was driving in the overtaking lane. Simple rules of the road stuff.

If there was nowhere for the OP to go, yes, I would be saying feck off to the Passat driver, but its clear that it wasnt. If the OP was going 120KPH, and the gap was so small as to not warrant driving in it, the Passat would have needed to accelerate from 120KPH to possibly 160KPH in 2 car lengths. Thats supercar territory there!
    If the car pulled in and caused the car (in slow lane) to break, then there was not enough room to pull in

I really need to find this mythical slow lane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I agree with folan.

I think the OP has every right to be annoyed at the dangerous driving. He can also get annoyed with so many people here who have thanked the posts which support the crazy driving from the Passat.

He was overtaking a bunch of cars and thought it best not to pull into a gap in the left lane and slow down, just so that another car can go faster than him.

Despite the many threads on good lane use, many people who have thanked the posts on this thread still see the overtaking lane as the "fast" lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

If the guy who under took the OP had been in something with a bit more poke, he could have undertaken the OP without causing him to brake. That would leave the OP being one of theose retarded drivers his thread is complaining about.. (im on my high horse, policing the motorway, going at the speed limit so im not pulling in the left lane!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Despite the many threads on good lane use, many people who have thanked the posts on this thread still see the overtaking lane as the "fast" lane.

And lots of people like the OP see the overtaking lane as a driving lane.

And lots of people like the OP see the overtaking lane as a driving lane.

Despite the fact he was overtaking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Probably overtaking at about 5km/h than the cars in the driving lane :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm definitely not supporting the passat if it was too dangerous a move to be completed safely, especially in this weather. Just saying that if there is a gap you can pull into, maintaining your overtaking speed without the need to brake, you should do so rather than staying in the overtaking lane, especially if you can see somebody flying up behind you.

Despite the fact. Go to the UK, or Germany and sit in the overtaking lane when a faster car is coming up behind you, see what happens then.

I'm definitely not supporting the passat if it was too dangerous a move to be completed safely, especially in this weather. Just saying that if there is a gap you can pull into, maintaining your overtaking speed without the need to brake, you should do so rather than staying in the overtaking lane, especially if you can see somebody flying up behind you.

Agreed. The way I see it here though, is that if this existed, why would the passat have to pull out again close enough to the OP to cause him to have to break? surely if there was room, the OP would have been able to go on fine adn the passat could have pulled out again at its leisure

• Advertisement

If the guy who under took the OP had been in something with a bit more poke, he could have undertaken the OP without causing him to brake. That would leave the OP being one of theose retarded drivers his thread is complaining about.. (im on my high horse, policing the motorway, going at the speed limit so im not pulling in the left lane!)

It's a bloody over-taking lane. Not a "fast" lane. There is a learner forum on this site. They will help you with the rules of the road.

Even if the OP was going 80KPH is would not make a difference. The lane is for over taking. It does not matter what speed everyone is doing, once the lane is being used for overtaking.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Probably overtaking at about 5km/h than the cars in the driving lane :rolleyes:

He is still over taking. It's not a "fast" lane. Its for overtaking.

But I agree it's frustrating sitting in your car while someone on front is only doing 5kph more than the other lane while overtaking. But you have to be patient and let the person complete the manoeuvre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

E39MSport wrote: »
    forcing traffic one car to undercut him.

Didn't realise the Passat driver had a gun to his head. That changes everything then.

The OP was overtaking, in the overtaking lane, and had to break as someone undercut him?

Why do people always try to defend the indefensible? Especially in this weather, the Passat was out of order. Also, why would you just randomly stop in a lane of traffic? I've seen at least 10 cases of this in the last 2 days, where people blocked up one lane causing a large tail back. Its invariable some tool who just abandoned his car and thinks you can park anywhere once you have your flashers on.

If the text in bold is true, then he should not of been in the overtaking lane. That's an issue we always talk about on these forums. But in the OPs case it was not. The OP was in the process of progressively overtaking other cars.

But I agree it's frustrating sitting in your car while someone on front is only doing 5kph more than the other lane while overtaking. But you have to be patient and let the person complete the manoeuvre.

That for some reason only works here. If you were in Germany and were overtaking cars on the Autobahn at even 20kph more than the next lane, and someone came up behind you fast, you'd be expected to gtfo temporarily, and when the faster car/cars have gone past, go back to your slower overtaking process. If you didn't, you'd have someone a car length behind you, indicating to get past you, and flashing headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

It's a bloody over-taking lane. Not a "fast" lane. There is a learner forum on this site. They will help you with the rules of the road.

Even if the OP was going 80KPH is would not make a difference. The lane is for over taking. It does not matter what speed everyone is doing, once the lane is being used for overtaking.

Once you have overtaken a car you pull in to the driving lane if there is room, as a Passat was able to move into this lane and get in front of the OP, it would seem clear that there was room to move into the driving lane.

Just because there is a car in the driving lane way up ahead desnt mean you should sit in the overtaking lane because you are going at the speed limit and you will eventually overtake them! I sugest you go to the learners forum and research overtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

That for some reason only works here. If you were in Germany and were overtaking cars on the Autobahn at even 20kph more than the next lane, and someone came up behind you fast, you'd be expected to gtfo temporarily, and when the faster car/cars have gone past, go back to your slower overtaking process. If you didn't, you'd have someone a car length behind you, indicating to get past you, and flashing headlights.

That bits wrong,

If some dick (usually in an S-Class/M5/Porsche Cayenne) is booting up the overtaking lane at 240km/h, you pull into the fast lane when you've finished overtaking and its safe to pull in.

Happened to me one morning, could see car about a kilometer away flashing lights while i was overtaking a truck, I pulled in, he sped up and then a Micra pops out from in between the two trucks. Queue weaving and smoking tyres... i'd say he shat himself.

Read the thread again stealthyspeeder. It was not a case of hogging the overtaking lane in any way.

He was overtaking other cars.

craichoe wrote: »
    That bits wrong,

Not in my experience - this year alone everything I've seen on the Motorways of the UK, Poland, Sardinia, Italy and Germany all suggest I'm not telling porkies.

Course the really scary thing is I'm off to Poland again on Wednesday, and even though it's -15 there with plenty of snow and ice, there'll still be lemmings booting it in the overtaking lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

i was over there yesterday ,it was completly mad,lots of tools on the road (someone should pick those up ha ha ha ha )

and the car parks also, i saw a spot went around to it this guy came down the wrong way and as the car backed out of the space the guy drove in front of her with no room to even turn into the space and blocking the car from being able to get out , wtf like , so he had to reverse and i got my spot yay ,

Advertisement