Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is suicide a sin?

Options
  • 20-12-2009 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Now as I understand it at one stage you would not be buried on consecrated grounds.
    And your family being told you would be denied entry to heaven.

Nowadays people who commit suicide do get church funerals. When did this change?

And is it still a sin? I understand it's the destruction of life and God's gift to you but will your family be told you'll never enter heaven?

Have attended such funerals :(
    But that's all I know about it realy

Oh and I have searched for past threads, didn't find anything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

A sin? Hardly. Look what the Catholic Church has done to this Country.... Thats a sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

mikemac wrote: »
    Now as I understand it at one stage you would not be buried on consecrated grounds.

Nowadays people who commit suicide do get church funerals. When did this change?

And is it still a sin? I understand it's the destruction of life and God's gift to you but will your family be told you'll never enter heaven?

In the last 20-30 years I'd imagine, on a similar note I was walking the dog down towards knocknacarra in Galway and I noticed a plaque at the golf course a few times, I stopped and read it, it was for all the still borns and unbaptised babies that were buried there, thought to myself "Weren't we absolute monsters" to carry on with that kind of crap.

Reasons like that is why I don't bother with Religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

ronaneire wrote: »
    A sin? Hardly. Look what the Catholic Church has done to this Country.... Thats a sin.

You don't know so? But posted anyway

I don't know either so I asked in the Christianity forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

You don't know so? But posted anyway

I don't know either so I asked in the Christianity forum

No I don't know is correct. I would call it sad and very upsetting for the families & friends, that some person have to end their own life for what ever reason it may have been.
    My point was that the Catholic Church in this Country commited worse sins than that of its people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm not disagreeing with you Ronaneire. :)

I just hope the thread doesn't get dragged offtopic which is why I posted here and not in After Hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Of course it's still a sin. Christianity isn't a fair weather religion. You can't sign up because boozing is a lot of fun at christenings and confirmations but then kill yourself expecting to go to heaven. You off yourself, your ass is goin straight to hell. Jesus was very specific about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

stringbox wrote: »
    Of course it's still a sin. Christianity isn't a fair weather religion. You can't sign up because boozing is a lot of fun at christenings and confirmations but then kill yourself expecting to go to heaven. You off yourself, your ass is goin straight to hell. Jesus was very specific about this.

Stealing is a sin, better remember that next time you download a song or watch something online, one way ticket to hell for filesharing

What if you commited suicide to ease your own suffering? say you were dying of a slow painful disease and instead of wasting away over months, watching your loved ones having to endure watching you slowly die, I'd take suicide over that any day, because if thats gods plan, to watch us suffer, then he doesnt deserve our worship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Suicide is not a sin. Its a tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It has been discussed before

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055257235&page=2

Let's try keep this on topic, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Depends on what one means by suicide. Killing yourself in despair or to punish someone else is a sin, as it takes what God has reserved to Himself. But even here the gravity of the offence greatly varies. Just as with stealing a loaf of bread if one is hungry is a crime, but a lot less than stealing it from a poor person to feed your dog.

On the other hand, killing oneself in order to protect another - jumping out of the overcrowded lifeboat, for example - is a righteous act. Or killing oneself when out of ones mind - no moral culpability is involved.

It is foolish idea that any sin is too little to merit hell, or any too great to prevent heaven (other than blasphemy of the Spirit). If a Christian dies without having repented of a sin - whether he died in a car crash after speaking harshly and unkindly to his wife, or by unwarranted suicide - he is immediately repentant in heaven and the blood of Christ as effective for that sin as it was for all the rest. His death in fact removes him from any liability to sin and he is now one of the spirits of just men made perfect.

The unbeliever who dies, dies in all his sins, including that of an unwarranted suicide.

That's a Protestant understanding of the issue. The Roman Catholic Church has it quite differently I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Kelda09

Just wondering where exactly Jesus was so specific on this??????? I have had two cousins and a few family members of friends commit suicide, all of them had full roman catholic funerals and burials and buried in consecrated ground, as far as i know this has been the case for the last number of years.

As for the aspect of hell, I firmly believe that anybody who goes through the pain, desperation, sadness and darkness that leads to somebody loosing the fight or flight instinct and taking their own life has experienced their hell here before they die, and anything that the catholic church can tell us about or concoct could ever be as bad. I also do not believe that somebody who goes through such pain here would be condidered in need of punishment like child molesters or abusers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 chrisr001

Kev9100 is right.

The only sin is to not endeavour to be a good, loving person.
    Those with no love preach about sin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

yet you can lead an entire life of sin and repent on your death bed and still go to heaven that makes loads of sense doesnt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

chrisr001 wrote: »
    Kev9100 is right.

The only sin is to not endeavour to be a good, loving person.
    Those with no love preach about sin.

Which would mean that Jesus, who preached about sin, had no love. Which would make your post contrary to the Charter. I would quit now if I were you.
    Kelda09 wrote:
    Just wondering where exactly Jesus was so specific on this??????? I have had two cousins and a few family members of friends commit suicide, all of them had full roman catholic funerals and burials and buried in consecrated ground, as far as i know this has been the case for the last number of years.
    As far as I remember Jesus never specifically condemned suicide.

By the way, if posters want to discuss suicide then feel free to do so. Anyone wanting to make gratuitous pops at the Catholic Church about child abuse then please refrain. It will only mean I will have to delete your posts, which might be a shame if you have otherwise useful points to make.

Speaking as an agnostic, this is what is wrong with the Catholic religion today. Are you that blind or insensitive that you cannot see how disgusting and hurtful these comments are? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Iguana Bob wrote: »
    yet you can lead an entire life of sin and repent on your death bed and still go to heaven that makes loads of sense doesnt it

It makes perfect sense to me, but if you want to discuss that further (rather than this thread's topic, which is suicide) then take it somewhere else.

Iguana Bob wrote: »

That always bothered me as well, I always thought it was a bit of a cop out, someone who tries to live as good a life as possible yet may not live exactly by the rules of the bible can go to hell yet someone who does bad intentionally and causes pain for others just has to say sorry when their dying and all is forgiven. :confused::confused: (Sorry, I know I made it sound very simplified there, I dont intend to belittle peoples beliefs, but it does sound unfair to me.)

Edit: Just after seeing PDNs comment. Apologies.

kev9100 wrote: »
    Speaking as agnostic, this is what is wrong with the Catholic religion today. Are you that blind or insensitive that you cannot see how disgusting and hurtful these comments are? You should be ashamed of yourself.

While that poster's comments were trollish, you have no way of knowing if they are Catholic, Christian, or just a jerk. Please try to avoid being provoked into generalisations about Catholicism in general.

try thinking it through for yourself,
    if there was no one to quote an answer for you.
    Christ wrote no record,
    he may be the most misquoted person ever.

Did Christ preach about sin?
    I don't know!
    Besides I said "those" not everyone.
    Ought to know the type I mean.

Yeah, you`re right. Sorry about that.

• Advertisement

What's the story, then...
    regarding slowly dying.
    I mean, the final sudden act is a last resort
    for someone who gave up on life,
    or encountered something they could not deal with at all.
    What if you gave up ages ago and were just going through the motions?
    What was it about Lazarus' death that Christ felt was inappropriate?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

My Best mate jumped from a bridge 4 years, he was drinking and was given cocaine by a 'friend' after he had just ended a long term relationship very badly. He rang me and my wife to say he was sorry and then he jumped. A total stranger dives in after him, punches him to stop him resisting him and gets him to the Shoreline. He got married to a wonderful woman last July and he's a new man. We often spoke about that night and only for that guy that pulled him out, I'd be speaking to a headstone. The tragedy of suicide is - if people could just hang on maybe, just maybe they might look back in years to come and be thankful they didn't go through with it. Suicide is a tragedy, how dare anyone judge or condemn these poor, poor people. I have no doubt no matter what your religion, that God will comfort and welcome home these poor souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

wolfsbane wrote: »
    Depends on what one means by suicide. Killing yourself in despair or to punish someone else is a sin, as it takes what God has reserved to Himself. But even here the gravity of the offence greatly varies. Just as with stealing a loaf of bread if one is hungry is a crime, but a lot less than stealing it from a poor person to feed your dog.

Where that written on the ten commandments? those tablets must have been huge with all these little get out clauses Christians wheel out when it suits them?
    "Thou shall not steal....except when you're hungry, then its ok i guess"

Buffet religious beliefs at its best

Thank you for posting that, medicman2009,
    wish someone was there for mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

krudler wrote: »
    Where that written on the ten commandments? those tablets must have been huge with all these little get out clauses Christians wheel out when it suits them?

Leave the generalisations at the door. Next person who engages in this type of rubbish get infracted. OK?

chrisr001 wrote: »
    Thank you for posting that, medicman2009,
    wish someone was there for mine.

I wish that too, but then other times I think with one of my cousins in particular if he had been stopped would any of our family ever really not be on gard, watching out for any hint of another attempt. I think sometimes some people have just reached such a dark edge there is no going back. My cousin had done everything by the textbook, got help, talked etc but nothing seemed to break through to him unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Hi Mikemac

I am sorry if you had a bad experience....Your experience sounds weird and at odds with anything I have ever encountered, and I have seen indirect family and some distant friends etc commit suicide...It leaves such a vast 'hole' in peoples lives and so many questions, that never truely get answered.....It must be awful to lose a loved one to suicide, no matter what the circumstances..... As I understand it, most Catholics would say that the final judgement is entirely up to God...He know's more about the person than we could ever hope to....Catholics don't think they 'judge' perfectly, it's one of the basics of our faith....

We know nowadays that people who commit suicide are in pain, and feel that the world would be better off without them....How sad...:( It's a pity that we don't all pay attention more often to eachother....but there is only so much we can do and see....

However, God knows all things and he is there waiting for everybody...It must sadden him when a life ends, but he, and only he is the perfect judge, and he knows the heart of the man/woman...

I hope this helps...

..and again, I'm really sorry if you had a crappy experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

krudler wrote: »

Maybe you can point to the get out clause, especially where I'm supposed to say stealing is ok?

Or had you just made up your mind I was doing so and didn't let the text get in the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Dunno what the Roman Catholic view is but then again, the Roman Catholic view isn't necessarily the Christian view. My own view of the Christian view (assuming salvation by grace and not by works)?

Suicide a sin? Not necessarily. There can be different motivations behind suicide and I can think of a least one category example where that motivation can be argued to align with God's way of salvation.

Take the case of a person struggling with, for example, temptation unto rape. And in order to prevent themselves carrying out that temptation they hang themselves. In that case, they have comformed to the maxim "no greater love hath man than that he lay down his life for another". God, I think, would recognise this persons

a) hatred of that which is evil - even when recognised as residing in oneself

b) love of that which is good.

The would-be-rapists suicide would be motivated thus, by a love of that which God represents (goodness, love, selflessness) and a hatred of that against which God strives (evil, unrighteous hatred, selfishness) - whether or not the person actually believes in God. This motivation, I'd argue, is the basis on which God saves men: whether, in their heart of hearts they love or hate the Truth (i.e.: God). In other words; not only would this persons suicide not be a sin, their expression of heart would be the basis for God saving then - and so that persons suicide would not only not be a sin, but their expression of heart (which is seen by God) would form the basis by which they are saved by Gods grace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Why would god abandon a person to hell when they are in most need of love?

Advertisement