Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The conversion of England to the Catholic faith...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

kelly1: Why does it matter so much that the British people join the Roman Catholic Church above and beyond any other?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Why would the Re-Catholicisation of the U.K. be a good thing?? Because I think the original message of Jesus and the message Rome today sends out are two very different Faiths. One was a message by a man of God, the other by men who think they're God - infallible my arse! I'm also sick of the the Islamophobia the pops up now and again - nothing more than simple ignorance and lack of understanding. Last time I checked we launched our 'Crusades' on them, butchery in the name of God. Us Christians are pretty good at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

I think its quite unlikely, In western welloff countrys people seem less inclined towards religon. I think the reasons for this are two numerous to list, but I think the main reasons are that people dont like the control they feel the church can force upon people, education & science being at odds with the bible and the lack of hardship.

I think given the above it would be very unlikely for the Roman catholic church to make much in the way of an inroad. Especially considering that England has always been a multcultral country in many regions with people from all sorts of religions backgrounds.
    kelly1 wrote: »
    Hello Emma, I know it seems incredibly unlikely but so was the fall of Communism in Russia.

In Fatima on July 13, 1917, The Virgin Mary predicted that Russia would spread its errors throughout the world. Four months later, Russia fell to communism in the Revolution. Mary also predicted that communism would fall if all the Bishops of the world consecrated Russia to her Immaculate Heart. This happened in 1984 and the fall happened in 1991.

With God all things are possible. We'll see...

I`ll say it straight up, I`m skeptic of prophecys, they are always just vague enough to apply in many situations. In the case of the russian prediction, I think at that time it was pretty obvious how it was going to unfold, and communism had alot of opponents.

With the second prophecy, when was this made ? Once again plenty of people knew communism in Russia could not last around this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Jakkass wrote: »
    kelly1: Why does it matter so much that the British people join the Roman Catholic Church above and beyond any other?
    Because I believe the Catholic Church teaches the full truth of the Christian faith. I think it's sad and unfortunate that all Christians aren't united in faith. So many Christians are missing out the great gift of Jesus Christ - body, blood, soul and divinity - in the Blessed Sacrament and also the grace and healing that comes from confession. There is great beauty in what the Church teaches.

I'm fully aware that the Church needs reform particularly when it comes to bishops showing good example. A bit of humility would go a long way.

I guess this is why we differ kelly1. I believe as long as people hold to the true word of God as revealed in the Scripture it matters little about religious observances and rituals. It is a genuine relationship with God that really counts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Kelly1 ya said it better than i ever could hahah agree %100 with ya bud...,,funny tho i DO agree with one other guys take on prophecies,,,the more yu read them and try to figure them out the more they seem to dissapoint!....,,and with all the charlottains/chancers that are out there sometimes its just less stressful to even try to figure them out.

England to be converted?...welll maybe but as i said before...wont be holding my breath! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Jakkass wrote: »
    I guess this is why we differ kelly1. I believe as long as people hold to the true word of God as revealed in the Scripture it matters little about religious observances and rituals. It is a genuine relationship with God that really counts.
    And I believe that revelation consists in more than Scripture. The Church wrote the New Testament. I didn't just fall from heaven. Tradition was established before Scripture was written.

And I believe that revelation consists in more than Scripture. The Church wrote the New Testament. I didn't just fall from heaven. Tradition was established before Scripture was written.

We're on the verge of getting into a debate on who or what the Church is.

For you, the church when referred to in a New Testament context refers to the Catholic Church. I personally consider this an anachronism, as the Roman Catholic Church didn't exist at the time.

For me, the church refers to the fellowship of believers in Jesus Christ under the jurisdiction of the Apostles. As such for me it is not essential that all people join one particular denomination over another. As long as one is willing to accept the authority of God in reading the Scripture and living it out in their daily lives I consider that to be as genuine and as authentic as one can really get in Christianity.

You then talk about tradition. I personally do not believe that Apostolic tradition is tied to the Roman Catholic Church. Many church congregations existed before Catholicism, and indeed many existed during. As Christians, we take on the tradition of Jesus and the Apostles in terms of belief. These people laid down a basis that Christians in other generations would have to take on, retaining the core message while making this message relevant for their time. I do not believe that tradition should ever override the authority of Scripture, but of course it is relevant.

Anglicanism or any other mainline Protestant denomination is branched from the very same tradition as Roman Catholicism is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Hello Emma, I know it seems incredibly unlikely but so was the fall of Communism in Russia.
    The fall of communism in Russia was economically inevitable.

Advertisement