Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The conversion of England to the Catholic faith...

Options
  • 18-12-2009 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I was just looking at EWTN this evening and Raymond DeSouza was discussing the de-christianization and the islamisation of Europe.

He discussed the possiblility that England would return to the Catholic faith and that this would lead to the re-christianization of Europe. Would be rather amazing if that happened!

http://keysofpeter.org/w.project/de-christianization.htm
    http://keysofpeter.org/w.project/why.england.htm

Apparently this was prophesied by St. Dom Bosco, St. John Vianney and Our Lady of Salette.

Has anyone else heard of such a prophesy?
    Prayer for our English Brethren

To the Blessed Virgin

O Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God and our most gentle Queen and Mother, look down in mercy upon England thy Dowry and upon us all who greatly hope and trust in thee.

By thee it was that Jesus our Saviour and our hope was given unto the world; and He has given thee to us that we might hope still more. Plead for us thy children, whom thou didst receive and accept at the foot of the Cross.

0 sorrowful Mother! Intercede for our separated brethren, that with us in the one true fold they may be united to the supreme Shepherd, the Vicar of thy Son.

Pray for us all, dear Mother that by faith fruitful in good works we may all deserve to see and praise God, together with thee, in our heavenly home.

Amen.

God bless,
    Noel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'm a lot more concerned in people believing in Christianity than the whole world coming to Catholicism.

I believe realistically the re-Christianization will happen as a product of the ecumenical movement rather than by the Roman Catholic church alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Alice in Wonderland stuff, return to Catholicism? Most folk in the Uk would have to return to Christianity first. The vast majority of the population in England are nominally/culturally CofE, but most have a healthy disregard for all forms of organised religion. At best they could be described as secular christians. Not a hope in hell (no pun intended) of this ever happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

kelly1 wrote: »
    He discussed the possiblility that England would return to the Catholic faith and that this would lead to the re-christianization of Europe. Would be rather amazing if that happened!

As an English girl, I think this is highly unlikely. Even if 70 % of the population identify as Christians, this is largely nominal (i.e. they've been christened and that's it). There are ongoing campaigns to remove religion from every aspect of public life e.g. civil servants are not allowed to refuse to perform say, a gay marriage, on religious grounds. MPs who abstain from votes on religious grounds are ridiculed. Schools come under fire for promoting anythig other than the mildest forms of religion e.g. creationism is practically outlawed. Our rights (including my rights as a woman) are firmly enshrined in secularism and I predict a long and happy future in a country where I have the right to live and grow in a god-free environment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

doctoremma wrote: »
    As an English girl, I think this is highly unlikely. Even if 70 % of the population identify as Christians, this is largely nominal (i.e. they've been christened and that's it). There are ongoing campaigns to remove religion from every aspect of public life e.g. civil servants are not allowed to refuse to perform say, a gay marriage, on religious grounds. MPs who abstain from votes on religious grounds are ridiculed. Schools come under fire for promoting anythig other than the mildest forms of religion e.g. creationism is practically outlawed. Our rights (including my rights as a woman) are firmly enshrined in secularism and I predict a long and happy future in a country where I have the right to live and grow in a god-free environment. :)

Hello Emma, I know it seems incredibly unlikely but so was the fall of Communism in Russia.

In Fatima on July 13, 1917, The Virgin Mary predicted that Russia would spread its errors throughout the world. Four months later, Russia fell to communism in the Revolution. Mary also predicted that communism would fall if all the Bishops of the world consecrated Russia to her Immaculate Heart. This happened in 1984 and the fall happened in 1991.

With God all things are possible. We'll see...

Hello Kelly.
    In Fatima on July 13, 1917, The Virgin Mary predicted that Russia would spread its errors throughout the world. Four months later, Russia fell to communism in the Revolution. Mary also predicted the communism would fall if the Bishops of the world consecrated Russia to her Immaculate Heart. This happened in 1991.

Hmmm, unless the prediction included a few verifiable statements, such as dates/names/etc, I'd be rather skeptical of this. I understand that many real people predicted the end of Communism with far more accuracy... :)
    With God all things are possible. We'll see...

And without god, all things are equal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Mary also predicted that communism would fall if all the Bishops of the world consecrated Russia to her Immaculate Heart. This happened in 1984 and the fall happened in 1991.

It did?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_communist_states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

doctoremma wrote:
    And without god, all things are equal.

How so?

Puck wrote: »

I was referring to Russia only.

Jakkass wrote: »
    How so?

Absolute equality between sexes. Absolute equality for lifestyle choices when nobody else is harmed. Absolute equality in education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

I grew up in England ....and go back there from time to time... and seee nooo hope for that sad/unfortunate country at all..

The people can be veryy polite and decent but they will overun by every law of Europe and of Islam,,,,
    a country without God etc?..tell that to the muslims in UK who are growuing storinger as a powerful force by the day!
    ,...the english population is dwindling fast , a lot of it due to contraception nd the crime of abortion....but the asian communities are thriving...so Im not so sure it will return to any christianity...more like a serious civil strife will happen, many laugh at the notion but theres a lot of racial tension in England that no one wants to address coz of pathetic "you cant say that" laws,,,i dont call them equal rights laws,,,just cop out laws!

as a certain MP once said - "there will be blood in the streets"! ....many scoffed at the remark - indeed they scorned him for it....but i wonder how many really disbelieve it now!

lets see what happens

• Advertisement

Baggio wrote: »
    I grew up in England ....and go back there from time to time... and seee nooo hope for that sad/unfortunate country at all..

The people can be veryy polite and decent but they will overun by every law of Europe and of Islam,,,,
    a country without God etc?..tell that to the muslims in UK who are growuing storinger as a powerful force by the day!
    ,...the english population is dwindling fast , a lot of it due to contraception nd the crime of abortion....but the asian communities are thriving...so Im not so sure it will return to any christianity...more like a serious civil strife will happen, many laugh at the notion but theres a lot of racial tension in England that no one wants to address coz of pathetic "you cant say that" laws,,,i dont call them equal rights laws,,,just cop out laws!

as a certain MP once said - "there will be blood in the streets"! ....many scoffed at the remark - indeed they scorned him for it....but i wonder how many really disbelieve it now!

lets see what happens

Hmmm... sounds perilously close to the BNP party line...a tad distasteful to my eyes.

what?>..

ffs how is it that anytime you say what yu say these days someone calls yu a bnp member or homophobe or racist or whatever label they can come up with....
    i had no problems with any race in uk i grew up there and went to school etc there and had mates from every type and creed,,,,,but can see the change over there when i visit now you dont have to be a bigot to see what you see and hear what you hear from peoples mouths....its as simple as that....

the UK IS heading for a racial confrontation no matter whio's right or wrong its bubbling under all the time these days ...thats just how it is there now...anyone who doesnt believe this is truly fooling themselves, and again ive no axe to grind at all,,as have mates for years from every background over there.....

what?>..

ffs how is it that anytime you say what yu say these days someone calls yu a bnp member or homophobe or racist or whatever label they can come up with....
    i had no problems with any race in uk i grew up there and went to school etc there and had mates from every type and creed,,,,,but can see the change over there when i visit now you dont have to be a bigot to see what you see and hear what you hear from peoples mouths....its as simple as that....

the UK IS heading for a racial confrontation no matter whio's right or wrong its bubbling under all the time these days ...thats just how it is there now...anyone who doesnt believe this is truly fooling themselves, and again ive no axe to grind at all,,as have mates for years from every background over there.....

Right, think we'll leave that where it lies, and get back to the apparently imminent re-catholocisation of England...

fair enough ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

One of the joys of living in this country is going month to month without any reference to that church.

Rome was told to piss off 400 years ago, and it is about time Ireland did the same

that actually made me laugh ahahahah

and seee nooo hope for that sad/unfortunate country at all..

Indeed. I guess we won't be expecting many Irish immigrants soon.
    tell that to the muslims in UK who are growuing storinger as a powerful force by the day!

Indeed. They comprise almost, what, 2.5 % of the population now? I'm shaking.
    ...the english population is dwindling fast

That's funny. I was under the impression that our population was increasing. I suspect you are referring to "native" population, by which you mean white/Christian. The news for you is that we don't particularly define our population by the religion they hold. Imagine, I actually consider all those children born in England to A Muslim family to be... English. Wowser. Like the fine Yorkshire representative says, you're sounding dangerously like a BNP supporter.
    , a lot of it due to contraception and the crime of abortion....

Abortion is not a crime in the UK. We place legal value on the rights of a woman. Whether you consider them legitimate rights or not, please refrain from such emotive language.
    but the asian communities are thriving

Hmm, do you mean "Asian" or "British Muslim"?
    but theres a lot of racial tension in England

And there's a LOT of media hyperbole. But you're right, we do have racial tension. I imagine no country is immune to it.

http://archives.tcm.ie/carlownationalist/2009/03/11/story35655.asp
    that no one wants to address coz of pathetic "you cant say that" laws,,,i dont call them equal rights laws,,,just cop out laws!

See above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Since boards.ie doesn't currently have a Racism Forum or a Xenophobia Forum I'm suggesting that any discussion about Islam in Britain be taken to After Hours.

Alternatively you can try your hand in Politics and give Scofflaw something to do with that moderator's banstick of his.

PDN wrote: »
    Since boards.ie doesn't currently have a Racism Forum or a Xenophobia Forum I'm suggesting that any discussion about Islam in Britain be taken to After Hours.

Alternatively you can try your hand in Politics and give Scofflaw something to do with that moderator's banstick of his.

Hi, is it not relevant when discussing the predicted rise of a religion in a country to include a discussion of other religions in that country?

I hope the "xenophobia" stuff is not to me.

Hi, is it not relevant when discussing the predicted rise of a religion in a country to include a discussion of other religions in that country?

I hope the "xenophobia" stuff is not to me.

Not when it starts dominating the thread and replacing the subject of the OP.

No-one, other than the most deranged conspiracy theorists, think there is the slightest prospect of 30,000,000 more Muslims appearing (either by immigration, reproduction or conversion) in the UK and turning it into an Islamic society.

Lets limit this thread to discussing whether 25,000,000 Catholics will appear instead.

(Disclaimer: Figures are rounded estimates based on the UK population. They do not allow for alternative scenarios created by nuclear war, bubonic plague, rapture, or alien abduction.)

• Advertisement

No-one, other than the most deranged conspiracy theorists, think there is the slightest prospect of 30,000,000 more Muslims appearing (either by immigration, reproduction or conversion) in the UK and turning it into an Islamic society.

Agreed.
    Lets limit this thread to discussing whether 25,000,000 Catholics will appear instead.

If a few South Americans rock up and teach the "native" men how to dance properly, that might be a good thing :)

plughole_vortex.jpg

ProperlyFlushingToiletSte.jpg

plughole_vortex.jpg

LMAO. :D

So, OP, how might you predict the rise of Catholicism to be a dominant religion in England?

I can think of a few possibilities:
    1. Wide-scale epiphany of "native" population. Unlikely, and most of us would think that it was some kind of terrorist attack to release a mind-altering substance.
    2. Wide-scale immigration of Catholics. More likely and there is undeniably an influx of European Catholics (Enough to counter those leaving? I don't know). I'm unconvinced that many South Americans would swap the white beaches of Ipanema for the drizzle of England. Our shambles of an economy isn't necessarily attracting too many people at the moment anyway.
    3. Wide-scale uprising in protest. (Sorry to mention Islam PDN but this might be relevant now.) I suspect that there might be a fair few people willing to defend what they perceive as a threat to their "native "culture by firmly standing up in favour of an obvious marker of that culture. Misguided? A token gesture? Almost certainly. But I have heard many people with no apparent religious conviction talk about "this Christian country". Now, if a vague assertion of Christianity is viewed as ineffective, maybe a more "hardline" Catholic revolution will take place.

LMAO. :D

So, OP, how might you predict the rise of Catholicism to be a dominant religion in England?

I can think of a few possibilities:
    1. Wide-scale epiphany of "native" population. Unlikely, and most of us would think that it was some kind of terrorist attack to release a mind-altering substance.
    2. Wide-scale immigration of Catholics. More likely and there is undeniably an influx of European Catholics (Enough to counter those leaving? I don't know). I'm unconvinced that many South Americans would swap the white beaches of Ipanema for the drizzle of England. Our shambles of an economy isn't necessarily attracting too many people at the moment anyway.
    3. Wide-scale uprising in protest. (Sorry to mention Islam PDN but this might be relevant now.) I suspect that there might be a fair few people willing to defend what they perceive as a threat to their "native "culture by firmly standing up in favour of an obvious marker of that culture. Misguided? A token gesture? Almost certainly. But I have heard many people with no apparent religious conviction talk about "this Christian country". Now, if a vague assertion of Christianity is viewed as ineffective, maybe a more "hardline" Catholic revolution will take place.

The prophesies appear to refer to the conversion of English Protestants to the Catholic faith. I know this is out of date but in the 2001 census, 71% identified themselves as Christian. I've no idea what it is now.

The prophesies appear to refer to the conversion of English Protestants to the Catholic faith. I know this is out of date but in the 2001 census, 71% identified themselves as Christian. I've no idea what it is now.

A few stats extended from those census results:

18 % of the population practice a religion, around 10 % practicing a form of Christianity. Only 6 % go to church on Sundays. That's a hefty proportion only turning out for Midnight Mass once a year :) 66 % of the population say they have no link with a church of any kind. The "71 % Christian" census result therefore appears to reflect a cultural tradition rather than a religious conviction.

This is supported by the reported figures that less than 50 % of the population believe in god.

Edit: Update - I've found survey in 2008 which reports that less than 40 % of the population believe in god.

Some interesting stats here:
    http://www.vexen.co.uk/UK/religion.html

Makes for sad reading if you ask me. On a more positive note the move by the Traditional Anglican Community (500k members) to full communion with the RCC is encouraging! Maybe other Christians will follow?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/oct/20/roman-catholic-church-receives-anglicans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I understand that there are five million Roman Catholics in the UK (out of a population if Sixty million)!

Not sure what the figures are for England alone (population, forty nine million approx) . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Hello all, I was just looking at EWTN this evening and Raymond DeSouza was discussing the de-christianization and the islamisation of Europe.

http://keysofpeter.org/w.project/de-christianization.htm
    http://keysofpeter.org/w.project/why.england.htm

Apparently this was prophesied by St. Dom Bosco, St. John Vianney and Our Lady of Salette.

Has anyone else heard of such a prophesy?

God bless,
    Noel.
    It could happen if we are talking about formal, State-enforced religion. The Roman empire became 'Christian' under Constantine. It will just mean the pagans find room for their ideas and practices in the 'Church' and atheists go along with it for the sake of political unity. Perhaps in reaction to Islam? The Holy Roman Empire revived.

But if we speak of true religious conviction, then the Bible tells us of a time when not only Europe but the world will be one spiritually:
    Revelation 17:8 The beast that you saw was, and is not, and will ascend out of the bottomless pit and go to perdition. And those who dwell on the earth will marvel, whose names are not written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world, when they see the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

2 Thessalonians 2:7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only He who now restrains will do so until He is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, 10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, 12 that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Almost everyone will be an ecumenist then. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The child sex scandals received enough press coverage in the UK to make the CC by far the most unattractive option to any potential new convert, I would suspect.

The only factions in Christianity that appear to be expanding with any speed (both here and the UK) are the more evangelical groupings and while they are recording impressive percentage growth the actual numbers are nowhere near enough to threaten a religious majority anytime in the foreseeable future. Indeed it's hard to see Christian religious growth even amounting to a politically relevant minority, if anything the lobbying power of other faiths will drive teh country further down the path of legislative secularism.

In this country religion is pretty much all pervasive - every year even teh most hard core atheists will be at a wedding, funeral or christening. There are lots of churches, lots of priests, the schools are religious by default, we have the angelus on TV - it's a fairly constant background hum if you like.

In the UK that simply isn't there - in the 6 or 7 years I was in London I didn't cross paths with any evidence of religion of any kind with any form of regularity. It simply is as irrelevant to the way the great majority of the UK lives as teh shipping report is to the great majority of us here. And I struggle to see any *realistic* way that relevance could ever happen.

Advertisement