Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's running? (its that self indulgent time of the year)

Options
  • 17-12-2009 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

So which self obsessed morons are gearing up to run for the next SU/TN/CSC/PHIST/General-College-Moronic hack positions next semester?

They waist huge chunks of our money in public, so I guess they're going to have to get use to public scrutinization.

To anyone who says it's too early in the year for this thread, wake up. It's not. These people have been masturbating their egos getting ready for this since first arriving in college. They're about ready to pop and will have started telling people.

I've got few names. Do you? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭EGaffney

bingbing wrote: »
    (its that self indulgent time of the year)

No it's not, it's not even "the year" yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bingbing

Maybe next year will be "the year"! Maybe we won't have useless people whining left right and centre and spending all my money on hoodies and scarfs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

Maybe we won't have useless people whining left right and centre and spending all my money on hoodies and scarfs.

Oh the irony

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭seacláid-te

I'd love to see your timetable bingbing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Google gets my vote

• Advertisement

So which self obsessed morons are gearing up to run for the next SU/TN/CSC/PHIST/General-College-Moronic hack positions next semester?

They waist huge chunks of our money in public, so I guess they're going to have to get use to public scrutinization.

To anyone who says it's too early in the year for this thread, wake up. It's not. These people have been masturbating their egos getting ready for this since first arriving in college. They're about ready to pop and will have started telling people.

Hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

TN isnt an election.
    What do they waste? They spend their own money. Also they waist it???

You start by decrying the hacks, then you admit (tacitly) that you are essentially one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

TN isnt an election.

What do they waste? They spend their own money. Also they waist it???

You start by decrying the hacks, then you admit (tacitly) that you are essentially one.

Thought you were through with Trintiy?

As for names (and I am so ashamed to admit this) but for some reason I still know at least half a dozen. Mainly due to facebook and the rampant self promotion.

Actually, hilariously, I think I know some too. That's pretty ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

I thought everyone knew at this stage who was running, except for a few maybes. Does this mean I am a hack now?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cantankerous

I think it does. If you know more than a handful of hacks you are spending too much time amongst them (it's contagious you know).

Personally i can't wait to see the back of Mick the Dick, Rob the Knob, Cooke the Crook, O'Broin the Moan and Cashman the...... eh.... Brash Man :confused:.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

I think conan's doing quite a good job so far this year.
    Bit too much banner bashing alright, but he IS taking on the beast that is ducac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Thought you were through with Trintiy?

As for names (and I am so ashamed to admit this) but for some reason I still know at least half a dozen. Mainly due to facebook and the rampant self promotion.

You can take the boy out of trinity but you can never take his scooorft
    dan719 wrote: »
    I thought everyone knew at this stage who was running, except for a few maybes. Does this mean I am a hack now?:eek:

You sir are a hack.

I of course will be doing my yearly routine of summing up the candidates for the patrons of this forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Thank you! The SU and all the societies are shameless popularity contests, created for the sole purpose of burning money and buffering otherwise weak CVs. They are populated by people with little wit, not much intelligence, but craftiness in abundance. They are cynical institutions which make me sick. The SU says that 'they represent me' but in reality all they do is make me cringe, wasting time and energy on worthless causes which are not representative of the freethinking body in the student population. It should move away from pathetic angst ridden adolescent 'activism' and move towards merely representing us in a boring, legal capacity. That is all I want from my SU, and nothing more.

Ordinary students need to learn to tell these hacks to **** off, they wreck everyone's head and only really represent 1 or 2% of the student body.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

dan719 wrote: »

Yup, 'fraid so. :pac:

In fairness, most of them are poorly kept "secrets" at best at this point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

By "public scrutinization" do you mean internet trolls posting the same generic complaints about them that aren't even true?
    I think it does. If you know more than a handful of hacks you are spending too much time amongst them (it's contagious you know).

Personally i can't wait to see the back of Mick the Dick, Rob the Knob, Cooke the Crook, O'Broin the Moan and Cashman the...... eh.... Brash Man :confused:.

:mad:

OMG, LOL!
    Hate to nitpick on such a stupid post but O'Broin doesn't actually rhyme with moan.
    Denerick wrote: »
    Thank you! The SU and all the societies are shameless popularity contests, created for the sole purpose of burning money and buffering otherwise weak CVs. They are populated by people with little wit, not much intelligence, but craftiness in abundance. They are cynical institutions which make me sick. The SU says that 'they represent me' but in reality all they do is make me cringe, wasting time and energy on worthless causes which are not representative of the freethinking body in the student population. It should move away from pathetic angst ridden adolescent 'activism' and move towards merely representing us in a boring, legal capacity. That is all I want from my SU, and nothing more.

Ordinary students need to learn to tell these hacks to **** off, they wreck everyone's head and only really represent 1 or 2% of the student body.

FFS, how the hell can you say these people have no wit or intelligence? What are you basing that on?
    I love when people say it's like a popularity contest. Yeah, if you can't think of any valid complaints, why not hate them because they have friends in college? How dare they?!
    Worthless cases? Hmm... The SU is the number one reason why I won't be paying college fees. I'm not going to bother to defend this claim, but it's 100% true. I'm also glad that the college now has a 24 hour study space. If I was a girl I'm sure I'd welcome reminders to take the pill.

I'm not entirely unbiased here but I'd much rather be one of the people who make the most of their experience at college than the people who bitch about them on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

what is the "phist"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

It is a portmanteau of Phil and Hist, TCD's two most famous societies.

FFS, how the hell can you say these people have no wit or intelligence? What are you basing that on?

General annoyance with their pathetic electioneering?
    I love when people say it's like a popularity contest. Yeah, if you can't think of any valid complaints, why not hate them because they have friends in college? How dare they?!

The implicit logical flaw there is that in your own head you seem to think you've debunked the idea that its a personality contest, and therefore see it as an invalid complaint. I'll let you muse over that for a while.
    Worthless cases? Hmm... The SU is the number one reason why I won't be paying college fees. I'm not going to bother to defend this claim, but it's 100% true. I'm also glad that the college now has a 24 hour study space. If I was a girl I'm sure I'd welcome reminders to take the pill.

Lol!!! You really think the reason we don't have to pay fee's is because of the SU? We have the Green party to thank mainly, their commitment to education is what ensured fee's wouldn't be introduced. If the public sector unions, the most powerful single political body in this country outside of the fianna fáil party was unable to prevent the government cutting their wages, what on Gods green earth makes you think a couple of thousand anarchist flag waving children in front of Leinster house made any difference?

24 hour study space - This was a fair enough battle for the SU to fight, but a rare case. And as for the pill reminder, I only hope the SU starts campaigning to remind me to wipe my arse after using the toilet.
    I'm not entirely unbiased here but I'd much rather be one of the people who make the most of their experience at college than the people who bitch about them on the internet.

Ooooooooh!. Tight one. I make the most out of my college experience by doing what I'm meant to ****ing do - get my degree. Everything else is secondary, including boozy nights out in town. If progressing in the student union and the upper echelons of the societies is what makes university so memorable for you, then that only speaks volumes about your inner meglomania.

Baza210 wrote: »
    It is a portmanteau of Phil and Hist, TCD's two most famous societies.

of course, silly of me to have missed that :)

I'm actually a member of both, will be v interested to see who runs for positions in each! any speculation yet?

• Advertisement

ALincoln wrote: »
    of course, silly of me to have missed that :)

I'm actually a member of both, will be v interested to see who runs for positions in each! any speculation yet?

Well I'm sure whomever wins will have a very impressive addition to their CV :)

want to put your money where your mouth is? particularly interested in hearing about the hist and phil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

General annoyance with their pathetic electioneering?

The implicit logical flaw there is that in your own head you seem to think you've debunked the idea that its a personality contest, and therefore see it as an invalid complaint. I'll let you muse over that for a while.

Lol!!! You really think the reason we don't have to pay fee's is because of the SU? We have the Green party to thank mainly, their commitment to education is what ensured fee's wouldn't be introduced. If the public sector unions, the most powerful single political body in this country outside of the fianna fáil party was unable to prevent the government cutting their wages, what on Gods green earth makes you think a couple of thousand anarchist flag waving children in front of Leinster house made any difference?

24 hour study space - This was a fair enough battle for the SU to fight, but a rare case. And as for the pill reminder, I only hope the SU starts campaigning to remind me to wipe my arse after using the toilet.

Ooooooooh!. Tight one. I make the most out of my college experience by doing what I'm meant to ****ing do - get my degree. Everything else is secondary, including boozy nights out in town. If progressing in the student union and the upper echelons of the societies is what makes university so memorable for you, then that only speaks volumes about your inner meglomania.

It's not a personality contest. Do you really believe that people voting in any election don't take personality into account just a little bit? It's pretty much inevitable, and I don't think it's a bad thing if candidates are sociable and try to know as many people as possible.

Wasn't talking about the protest, moreso the meetings with the Greens that persuaded some of them to actually change their minds. I'm sure you'll think it's incredibly naive, but I actually do believe they had that much influence.

Wasn't being serious about the pill thing. I'll admit that campaign is a little bit stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Word. Bitch about them if they mess up. Giving out about everyone who runs for anything ever is just stupid. Lots of people make the college better by giving up ****loads of their own free time for less benefit than they put into it - if it were all about CV-packing, the summers that the Phil/Hist/SU/TN people put into getting the year's work ready could be better spent in internships; the early mornings and late nights and time around lectures could be spent attending employer events, getting good grades (which plenty of employers look for as much as or more than college involvement), researching the hell out of every graduate opportunity and generally being a better student. Most extra-curricular life is for its own sake, shocking though it may be for some to believe that people might like being a part of societies or the SU for their own non-CV-or-ego-related reasons.
    Denerick wrote:
    Lol!!! You really think the reason we don't have to pay fee's is because of the SU? We have the Green party to thank mainly, their commitment to education is what ensured fee's wouldn't be introduced.

The Young Green's rep on the GP NEC, and thus one of the people who most informed their view on fees in particular, is one of the biggest 'hacks' in college. Chair of multiple societies over the past two years, Ethical and Environmental Trading Officer of the SU, Hist committee...from small acorn hacks do mighty oak hacks grow. Plus, even aside from that, whatever one's stance on fees you can't argue that the SU (and other SUs across the country) did a good job of raising awareness of it as a public issue.
    ALincoln wrote:

Rules of both societies prevent candidates from (openly) canvassing for votes, and that can be used against them if others canvass on their behalf. Thus, there's really very little open speculation until the nominations are officially announced (probably late March/early April, given the new timetable). I know a few names, but genuinely can't share them as it could land the people in question in ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

Well I'm sure whomever wins will have a very impressive addition to their CV :)

As long as people run for positions like this for the job's sake over anything else, I don't see what's wrong with being happy that it's going on your CV. Hollow CV padding is one thing, but being proud in putting something you worked hard for on your CV is another thing entirely. If someone spent hours getting involved in the Hist/whatever for years, worked hard to make the society better, and ended up as chair/whatever the title is, then power to them putting it on their CV.

*Looks up at the rest of the thread*

Good Luck Jonathon.
    Boston wrote: »

I of course will be doing my yearly routine of summing up the candidates for the patrons of this forum.

:) And I wont have to get pissed off/explain to the EC what the hell was going on/deny having any knowledge of who you are.

Change is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

shay_562 wrote: »
    Word. Bitch about them if they mess up. Giving out about everyone who runs for anything ever is just stupid. Lots of people make the college better by giving up ****loads of their own free time for less benefit than they put into it - if it were all about CV-packing, the summers that the Phil/Hist/SU/TN people put into getting the year's work ready could be better spent in internships; the early mornings and late nights and time around lectures could be spent attending employer events, getting good grades (which plenty of employers look for as much as or more than college involvement), researching the hell out of every graduate opportunity and generally being a better student. Most extra-curricular life is for its own sake, shocking though it may be for some to believe that people might like being a part of societies or the SU for their own non-CV-or-ego-related reasons.

The Young Green's rep on the GP NEC, and thus one of the people who most informed their view on fees in particular, is one of the biggest 'hacks' in college. Chair of multiple societies over the past two years, Ethical and Environmental Trading Officer of the SU, Hist committee...from small acorn hacks do mighty oak hacks grow. Plus, even aside from that, whatever one's stance on fees you can't argue that the SU (and other SUs across the country) did a good job of raising awareness of it as a public issue.

Rules of both societies prevent candidates from (openly) canvassing for votes, and that can be used against them if others canvass on their behalf. Thus, there's really very little open speculation until the nominations are officially announced (probably late March/early April, given the new timetable). I know a few names, but genuinely can't share them as it could land the people in question in ****.

This.

And I am definately showing Barra this post.:p I think he will particularly like the phrase 'mighty oak hacks'.

shay_562 wrote: »

Intially thought that this post was by one the crazies and then saw it was by you...*cough* and it still seems crazy*cough* Going to phone you.

The latter bits seem ok...but most hacks get good grades, its what makes them so annoying. (SU sort of bucks this trend but in general, those who achieve most in extra curriculars achieve most in college, and well achieve most in life)

As long as people run for positions like this for the job's sake over anything else, I don't see what's wrong with being happy that it's going on your CV. Hollow CV padding is one thing, but being proud in putting something you worked hard for on your CV is another thing entirely. If someone spent hours getting involved in the Hist/whatever for years, worked hard to make the society better, and ended up as chair/whatever the title is, then power to them putting it on their CV.

Big assumption there in the post that was originally quoted. I don't have my time in the Phil on my CV.

I know people who started getting job offers once they removed "running a large society" from their CVs and put more important things on it.

Suffice it to say that the self-interest in running a society, if it exists, is status-based rather than pecuniary.

• Advertisement

Intially thought that this post was by one the crazies and then saw it was by you...*cough* and it still seems crazy*cough* Going to phone you.

The latter bits seem ok...but most hacks get good grades, its what makes them so annoying. (SU sort of bucks this trend but in general, those who achieve most in extra curriculars achieve most in college, and well achieve most in life)

They will achieve the same as most of the high skilled denizens of this island - competant but incapable of originality. The irish as a race of people are totally unfit to lead in the modern innovation economy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement