Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual assault...but sure he's a nice lad..Mod Warning Post 275

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

cson wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is that the man has been convicted by his peers of sexual assault. Now that's a pretty definitive story to me; I'd happen to think the Irish Courts Service are the best proponents of deciding what the 'full' story is.

After recently sitting on a Jury I would have to totally disagree.

Not saying he didnt do it (since it appears he was found at the scene and CC TV suggests he carried her here) but just pointing out that I wouldnt rely on a Jury of my "peers" to find me innocent of anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

molloyjh wrote: »
    What we do know is that the girl was very drunk. We know that there was sexual contact and we know that he dumped her semi-concious body next to a skip. Now the sexaul contact thing could potentially be understandable. Guy gets drunk, meets drunk girl, they start chatting and one thing leads to another. He could be so drunk that he himself doesn't realise how bad she is and mistakes her inability to say no as being consent. I don't know for a fact that this is or is not what happened, but it is possible. So at best the sexual contact could be a horrible misunderstanding (not to say that excuses it, it most certainly doesn't).

Also he was violent as she was battered and bruised. Consent huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

herya wrote: »
    Also he was violent as she was battered and bruised. Consent huh?
    Is this true? Was he violent? Was she battered?

It's on newstalk now folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

So you carried her behind a dumpster and bruised her after getting sick from drinking? Classy!

Don't twist my words. Did you read what I said?

shaneybaby wrote: »
    Seems not. Only applies to 'yer man'.

He said: “My Christian responsibility was to this person that I knew and to the person who is the object of, what I call, this extremely harsh sentence.”
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1217/breaking27.htm

Am I really so disillusioned towards priests that I ask myself why exactly was this particular priest so sympathetic towards a convicted sexual predator?

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote: »
    Is this true? Was he violent? Was she battered?

It's on newstalk now folks.

She was definitely bruised and scratched as described in the papers at least.

She was definitely bruised and scratched as described in the papers at least.
    In fairness, it's easy to get brused & scratched during consentual sex. This wouldn't equate to a "battering".

That said, I just heard that she had bruses "all over her body", which probably would imply a "battering".

On another note: I can't believe what I'm hearing coming from Dannys girlfriend. Incredible. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Listening to it now. His girlfriend said the girl was bruised and cut because she was undressed and was in the presence of a large man :confused: The sooner his girlfriend realises she's in denial the better. Everything coming out of her mouth is nonsense. I know it's hard because she's in love with him but everything she's saying is just ridiculous.

enda1 wrote: »
    Don't twist my words. Did you read what I said?

I have indeed and I'm being sarcastic. Surely what the guy did (as shown by CCTV and examination) is very different from your drunken sex. Surely? I hope?

That said, I just heard that she had bruses "all over her body", which probably would imply a "battering".

Yup that's what I meant.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

suimhneas wrote: »
    i think you will find -michelle- isnt the only member on boards making comments like this their distain for "rural" peole is becoming very obvious. They must think everyone outside the pale are a class below themselves. We must turn a blind eye dont you know they are "high as kites".

There are some rural people though that havent seen anything of the world, still controlled by the catholic church and live in the back of beyond, not all people in rural areas are like that but i'v met a lot of them.

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Listening to it now. His girlfriend said the girl was bruised and cut because she was undressed and was in the presence of a large man :confused: The sooner his girlfriend realises she's in denial the better. Everything coming out of her mouth is nonsense. I know it's hard because she's in love with him but everything she's saying is just ridiculous.
    I know. WTF. Your boyfriend sexually assaulted someone.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

There are some rural people though that havent seen anything of the world, still controlled by the catholic church and live in the back of beyond, not all people in rural areas are like that but i'v met a lot of them.
    Funnily enough there are people in cities like that too. You get bigotry, ignorance and bias everywhere.

Jesus, "he can hold his head high"!?!

Can he "hold his head high" walking into the Garda station to sign the sex offenders register?

Jesus, "he can hold his head high"!?!

Can he "hold his head high" walking into the Garda station to sign the sex offenders register?
    Who said that, his girlrriend? Cant hear the report.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Oryx wrote: »
    Funnily enough there are people in cities like that too. You get bigotry, ignorance and bias everywhere.

Yeh true but not as many!

Thaedydal wrote: »
    She was out drinking, no doubt dressed up for the night

She was wearing her jeans.
    (I know you're not defending him, just adding a technical detail)

ash23 wrote: »
    I just know that if I were in this position, where I drank so much I pretty much passed out in a club, was carried out by some local bloke who proceeded to strip me and assault me out beside a skip, I would feel violated and I would want this person to be prosecuted.

But I can also see that I would be the one portrayed as the bad guy. Sure, I'm out drinking every weekend with a child at home. I've been with him and him, what a slut I am. And sure, young Johnny down the road is well known and plays GAA for the local team, works with his daddy on the farm, is a credit to his mammy and is a good looking guy to boot. He wouldn't need to assualt someone. That I should be lucky that someone like him wants me........

Jesus, it makes my skin crawl to think of it. But thats exactly how it would be :mad::(

At least you're Irish.... I'd be burned out of my house.

Oryx wrote: »
    Who said that, his girlrriend? Cant hear the report.
    Yea. She said once he gets out he "can hold his head high".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭cherryred

her aunt said she had marks on her leg and on wrists which according to the rape crisis centre that examined her pointed to her having being dragged and held down.

• Advertisement

Yea. She said once he gets out he "can hold his head high".
    Yup. Im sure he'll get his back slapped and a few pints out of it too. Funny old world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

There's now a Facebook group supporting this scumbag:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2F%23%2Fpages%2FCO-KERRY%2FDanny-Foley-is-innocent%2F210228743531%3Fref%3Dsearch%26sid%3D738400077.2677687023..1&h=1bc6eea631b6f5377d413e1b0d49ffc0

It should be noted it's three women who are members.

Jesus, even his girlfriend admits that, at the very least, he picked up someone drunk in a club and shagged them so hard in the middle of a tarmac carpark that he left them bleeding and bruising (she doesn't dispute the latter). And she still thinks he's great!

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I think this case reinforces everything that was said in the recent thread on why rape convictions are so low in Ireland. The law in Ireland protects the perpetrators and this just has to change. I think the victim should be more than just a witness in rape cases and be allowed character witnesses of her own.

I live just on the border of North Kerry and West Limerick and go out in Listowel quite often. I think the victim should be commended for bringing this to court and getting justice, it must have been extremely difficult for her to do this in such a small town.
    Lot of people being shocked by the priest shaking the man's hand; that doesn't surprise me. He's a priest; he's meant to love everyone, regardless of what they have done.

I think you have a fair point. I myself would see the accused more as a victim of a society that disrespects women and treats them as a sex objects, however, the 'Christian' thing for the priest to have done was to also shake hands and sympathise with the victim, while also saying sympathising with her in his statement. From his actions he seems to only have sympathy for the accused.
    I will most certainly be writing a letter to him If not paying a visit to him when Im home next week. My great Uncle was parish priest in Listowel for years, a man who I have great respect for as he always made a concerted effort to make the church more inclusive for women.

My heart really goes out to the victim in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

Listen to this on the radio today.
    I do not know the details of what happened, but he was found guilty and I trust that was the correct decision.

My comment is really just on how the town seems to be gathering round this convicted sex offender!

I too am from a small town and have seen this kind of crap all to well, certain members of the community can do no wrong, if they are friends with all the correct people they are almost untouchable.

I once found myself in court for fighting two men twice my size, because I was not as well known in the town, it had been decided the whole thing was all my fault, cause I am just that stupid that I would go start a fight with two guys that look like rugby players.

In the end the Judge saw sense and threw the whole thing out, but I have seen this type of "rail roading" where people of a community protect anyone in their little small minded club!

Community should be ashamed! But they won't be!

Had this been my sister, gf etc... He would need to me more worried to getting out of prison than going inside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

A counsellor that worked with the victim was on Newstalk there saying that the main thing people can do for the victim is send a card to the kerry rape crisis centre with words of support. They will pass them all on and have been very touched by all the calls and emails today.

I listened to the girlfriends interview in horror. She wouldnt acknowledge his conviction nor accept the term victim for the girl accusing Danny Foley. She believes that the cuts and bruises were over stated and would happen anyway if you were getting it on behind a skip with a big lad (note she only got together with him after this has happened).
    So not only is she saying the judge and jury are all wrong but also the gardai who questioned him, the rape crisis counsellors and support team and the doctors who examined her body. Oh and also according to her the cctv footage was hazy.

Im in utter disbelief today. I just hope that poor girl finds some happiness in her life again. Her best bet would be to move from Listowel and start again, leave them all to their little world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭_michelle_

FC2009 wrote: »
    Please explain how are country people simple and uneducated? Do you think that things like this cant happen in cities?

im not saying it wouldnt happen in cities but my point was i would expect it to be more prevlant in country areas.

suimhneas wrote: »
    i think you will find -michelle- isnt the only member on boards making comments like this their distain for "rural" peole is becoming very obvious. They must think everyone outside the pale are a class below themselves. We must turn a blind eye dont you know they are "high as kites".
    i have no "distain" as you put it for rural people, however i do think rural places are more backward in their thinking in regards to these aspects.
    this is MY opinion so you are fully entitled to yours.

panda100 wrote: »
    I think this case reinforces everything that was said in the recent thread on why rape convictions are so low in Ireland. The law in Ireland protects the perpetrators and this just has to change. I think the victim should be more than just a witness in rape cases and be allowed character witnesses of her own. .

Why character witnesses for the victim? She might be a mean b*tch or a silly slapper but she's still a rape victim. She deserves justice without people judging her morals.

I don't really understand the need for character witnesses or statements for the other side either. Surely if someone enjoys assaulting, robbing or beating people they won't confide in any figures of authority, and even if so, said figures won't put it into their statements.

i thinking of starting a petition to give this lady a courage/bravery award as it seems time we really stood up & were counted in public!! lets just show this danny foley what we think of him & his supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Why character witnesses for the victim? She might be a mean b*tch or a silly slapper but she's still a rape victim. She deserves justice without people judging her morals.

I don't really understand the need for character witnesses or statements for the other side either. Surely if someone enjoys assaulting, robbing or beating people they won't confide in any figures of authority, and even if so, said figures won't put it into their statements.

In this case there was clear cut evidence against the accused. Therefore there was little need for character witnesses as there was strong physical evidence in the shape of brusing and cctv footage showing quite clearly that an assault had taken place.

However, often in rape cases evidence can be easily dismissed or is lacking to begin with. In these cases character witnesses are very important and usually get the perpetrators off scot free. The law as it stands at the moment is allowing people to judge her morals without her being able to defend herself, as she is only a witness. This means that she can be discredited as a witness, the accused and his legal team is allowed to say anything about the witness they like and she is denied the right to reply.
    I think for these reasons the law has to be changed and rape victims should be allowed right of reply and character witnesses because so often in rape cases it comes down to his word over her word.

Advertisement