Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest slab of good beer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Don't feel guilty, but don't complain when there is no choice but the supermarket, when you want some friendly genuine advice, when you want to buy something out of the ordinary, when you want to order something special.

eh.....hold on, so i should pay more for the exact same product in my local offie just in case i develop an overnight passion for wine & need advice.:D:D
    Lower the prices & i'l gladly buy my booze there.
    Friendly advice? Like when about 3 years ago i brought to the attention of the manager of this place that his price on a 6 pack of heineken was a good 20 or 30 cent per bottle more than anywhere else & his response was 'well you dont have to shop here'.
    Yeah i took his advice alright.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

so i should pay more for the exact same product in my local offie
    No. You should buy things in your local offie that your supermarket won't stock. If the supermarket sells everything you need then shop there and leave your local offie out of it.

BeerNut wrote: »
    No. You should buy things in your local offie that your supermarket won't stock. If the supermarket sells everything you need then shop there and leave your local offie out of it.

Look at the title of this thread. Not one person has informed me of a great deal on beer thats available in an off license. That says an awful lot to me.
    Sorry if the truth hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I saw one of the supermarkets, I think it was Dunnes, had a slab of Bavaria for €24, which is fairly decent.

Good beer, and by extension great deals, don't come in slabs.

Deveney's Dundrum will do you four Sierra Nevada Anniversary for a tenner. Several offies have Bateman's Dark Lord and Combined Harverst for in or around €2.

Great deals; no slabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Look at the title of this thread. Not one person has informed me of a great deal on beer thats available in an off license. That says an awful lot to me.
    Sorry if the truth hurts.

Don't know what the posts below are all about - I'm too hurt too read them!:mad:
    Red Storm wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Carling!!!! Tesco had 24 bottles of Heineken for 17.99 the other day...
    sofireland wrote: »
    My local SV is selling Heineken for 27.50
    yoyo wrote: »
    Others to try are Stoya, Bavaria, Tuborg, Prazsky even Karpackie :D.

Nick
    bennyob wrote: »
    24 pack of perlenbacher in lidl for €20.00 this week. Alright, alright....i know they are not exactly a 'slab' but you can get 4 x 6 pack at €5.00 each.

Imo, they are nicer than the buds, heinekens etc. In fact, it is the only lager that i would drink. Actually I lie, i had a bavaria in my local the other day whick was pretty nice.

Theres a reason why every town in ireland has 3 off licenses, because they're an easy way to make money. Just like pharmacies & betting shops.

That must be why independent off licences are going out of business right, left and centre.:confused:

Huh????!!!
    Red Storm wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Carling!!!! Tesco had 24 bottles of Heineken for 17.99 the other day...
    Supermarket
    sofireland wrote: »
    My local SV is selling Heineken for 27.50
    Supermarket
    trip to lidl? Supermarket

buy beers with nothing but the three ingredients?
    Supermarket
    bennyob wrote: »
    24 pack of perlenbacher in lidl for €20.00 this week. Alright, alright....i know they are not exactly a 'slab' but you can get 4 x 6 pack at €5.00 each.

Imo, they are nicer than the buds, heinekens etc. In fact, it is the only lager that i would drink. Actually I lie, i had a bavaria in my local the other day whick was pretty nice.

+1 on the Beamish though, 1.70 is a great price for a quailty stout. Aldi are really starting to impress me with their beer offers of late. Most places will do the Draught 8 pack for E12.99 which is great value too.
    Supermarket

Look i'l take a trip down my local offie & see what they've got. Back in a while.

I am not saying there all bad!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marceldesailly

I'm not sure when this became about supermarkets or off licences but anyway if you want cheap beer it's probably off to the supermarket for some below cost selling.if you want good beer (I guess that's a relative term though) it's more lilely to be the off licence.
    If you want an alternative to the lager you drink I'd imagine the lagers sold by Lidl and Aldi are a good bet.
    If you aren't scared by past sell by dates then Deveneys Rathmines usually have boxes of good beer going cheap, usually 24 for €20.
    best value beer widely available is probably Brooklyn, Tesco will sell you that.6 for €9.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Look i'l take a trip down my local offie & see what they've got. Back in a while.

What you will find is something the multiples struggle to offer; variety .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Supermarkets are probably best for cheap beer, no doubt about that. If you want cheap beer, there prob your best bet. But good off licences will have the varity and I for one have no problem parting with money to support that. Unfortunately, good off licences are few and far between.

FYI, Tesco have London Pride for 1.88 at the mo, thats great value IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Tesco is doing 24bottles of 5% Stella Artois for €15.. can't get much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cheap beer = hangover?
    Why would this be the case? What do you think they do differently? A major cost in big brand beers is the marketing, which YOU pay for. If dutch gold had adverts on TV all year round then it would cost more, I don't see how this extra cost results in less of a hangover though.

One factor is ingredients and fermentation processes. Budweiser use rice and potato in its beer, both of these are known to result in more congeners being produced (nasty chemicals which will worsen a hangover), Budweiser is also fermented very quickly, which also results in nasty chemicals.

You could turn this on its head, many of the big brand beers are available for around €1 a can when on offer, now with all the marketing costs involved they must be scrimping and saving somewhere, so it would make more sense that they are using cheaper ingredients, brewing quickly/hot etc.

In my local eurospar they have 5% heineken for €27.40 for 24 cans, they also had heineken 4.3% for €37.60. Both brewed & canned in holland, but also roughly 15% more ingredients would have been used in the higher strength one. Looking at the can the 5% one seemed intended for the scottish market. Now this is not a case of going north for cheap beer, and getting the benefit of lower VAT, wages etc -the beer is in the same shop with same duty, so it seems to be a case of heineken placing the wholesale prices at higher levels here so the beer appears to be "premium".

I have said before that I know people who will probably stop drinking corona when it becomes more commonly available for €1 a bottle. People have very weird theories when it comes to the quality of alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

well I got 16 boxes of becks cans 4% alcohol and 440ML the nicest beer i ever had. nice purification system they use in germany i have to say. they sell 10 cans for €7.27 at tesco in clarehall. might be a few trays left but i took 16 boxes if they are not on display just ask the person there, could he/she have a look in the backroom.

trust me it's nice beer for sure.

rubadub wrote: »
    Why would this be the case? What do you think they do differently? A major cost in big brand beers is the marketing, which YOU pay for. If dutch gold had adverts on TV all year round then it would cost more, I don't see how this extra cost results in less of a hangover though.

One factor is ingredients and fermentation processes. Budweiser use rice and potato in its beer, both of these are known to result in more congeners being produced (nasty chemicals which will worsen a hangover), Budweiser is also fermented very quickly, which also results in nasty chemicals.

You could turn this on its head, many of the big brand beers are available for around €1 a can when on offer, now with all the marketing costs involved they must be scrimping and saving somewhere, so it would make more sense that they are using cheaper ingredients, brewing quickly/hot etc.

In my local eurospar they have 5% heineken for €27.40 for 24 cans, they also had heineken 4.3% for €37.60. Both brewed & canned in holland, but also roughly 15% more ingredients would have been used in the higher strength one. Looking at the can the 5% one seemed intended for the scottish market. Now this is not a case of going north for cheap beer, and getting the benefit of lower VAT, wages etc -the beer is in the same shop with same duty, so it seems to be a case of heineken placing the wholesale prices at higher levels here so the beer appears to be "premium".

I have said before that I know people who will probably stop drinking corona when it becomes more commonly available for €1 a bottle. People have very weird theories when it comes to the quality of alcohol.

Fair point.
    I suppose what i should have said was; poor quality beer = hangover.

In fact, the 5% one would have higher duty on it - duty on beer is calculated on its strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

On that note, fine wines seem to have 5% bud at a cheaper price than regular- 3 cans for a fiver I think. That would probably cost at least 6 something for the normal 4.3 cans.

(I know I've mentioned this group before but I want to note I'm not a shill-I don't even like the shop that much cause they have a poorer selection that harvest in galway, but its the closest offie to me thats open til 10) :)

Just did a quick price check on a few popular beers down at my local offie.

Bud 24 pk 500ml can - 39.99
    Heineken 24 pk 500ml can - 39.99
    Bud 20 330ml bottles - 23.99

Local Dunnes Stores

Bud 24 pk 500ml can - 26.99
    Heineken 24 pk 500ml can - 29.99
    Bud 20 330ml bottles - 19.99

I will admit that the off-licence will have a lot more variety but there are some serious savings to be made if you look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

slayerking wrote: »
    Supermarkets are probably best for cheap beer, no doubt about that. If you want cheap beer, there prob your best bet. But good off licences will have the varity
    Good offies are rare enough, the lads here usually only talk of the same small few. The best selection of beers nearest me is probably supervalu in dalkey. The 2 closest to me are tesco & o'briens, dunno which has the better selection TBH.
    In fact, the 5% one would have higher duty on it - duty on beer is calculated on its strength.
    Good point, forgot about that with all the talk of price dropping for pint/wine bottle/shot. I find it strange that in the budget you only hear how much drink went up "per pint" or bottle of wine etc. Fair enough to give people an estimate but you would think the technical drop in price would be clearly said first, just like other things. e.g. they list off a load of figures for most taxes etc, and then it is up to the media to say "that really means Mick on €40k with his wife & 2 kids is down €2000 per year now".

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Just did a quick price check on a few popular beers down at my local offie.

Bud 24 pk 500ml can - 39.99
    Heineken 24 pk 500ml can - 39.99
    Bud 20 330ml bottles - 23.99

I thought this thread was for a slab of good beer :p

Bud should not even be allowed to be classed as a beer.

My Christmas stock

is

Licher Wheat beer @ 1.99 each (12 x 500ml botttles) Aldi
    Salitos @ 19.99 (24x 275ml bottles) Local Shop (Small bottles but look fun)
    Tiger @ 19.99 (20x 330ml bottles) Tescos
    Miller @ 16.99 (24 x 220ml bottles) Dunnes

as you can see I shop around :D I also picked up various spirit and wine bargains in these outlets also.

• Advertisement

Bud should not even be allowed to be classed as a beer.
    My Christmas stock
    is
    Tiger
    Miller
    Beer snob fail :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I went down the route of buying a box of out of date Vedett White and Chimay Red, both out of date. €30 each good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

BeerNut wrote: »
    Beer snob fail :p

I think I'll have to accept that on the chin as I'll drink about anything in a bottle ... for some reason I dont like cans at all :confused:

However I do have to draw a line at Bud really don't understand it at all. It's just like off soda water to me :o

for some reason I dont like cans at all
    Possible beer snob's New Year's resolution: don't drink anything available in cans, e.g. Tiger; Miller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

come on a 24 crate of miller in dunnes now is 18 quid!!! slice of lime in that and away u go!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

come on a 24 crate of miller in dunnes
    "Clean-up in aisle 2."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

suppose miller can be dodge at times!!... however when ur a student ya cany be picky!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

suppose miller can be dodge at times!!... however when ur a student ya cany be picky!! :D

But Miller is expensive! There's much nicer beers that are cheaper or the same price. Even Bavaria is nicer than Miller (try it with lime in the bottles, it's actually not half bad) and it's much cheaper.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

stop trying to cover the taste of **** beer with limes, and instead drink good beer, problem solved.

• Advertisement

Good offies are rare enough, the lads here usually only talk of the same small few. The best selection of beers nearest me is probably supervalu in dalkey. The 2 closest to me are tesco & o'briens, dunno which has the better selection TBH.

I agree with this.

I think a few people who posted on this thread thought i was having a go at off-Licences in general & i am not.
    I'd prefer not to give my money to the big supermarkets but i really have no choice, times are tough & i just cant ignore a bargain. 40 euros for 24 beers is ridiculous whatever way you cut it. Tesco's are selling slabs for 36 euro, not good enough either.
    Any criticism ive expressed is aimed squarely at my local offie. The owner is bitterly sticking with pricing that is not in sync with the current economic climate. Thats unacceptable & i honestly dont know how he's still in business.
    Sorry ive gone off topic again.
    Anyway i suppose when it comes to my original question everyone has their own idea of what a good beer is & what a good price for that beer is so its a bit of an unquantifiable concept.

Anyway enjoy your xmas drinks. Goodluck.:)

Advertisement