Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest slab of good beer?

Options
  • 16-12-2009 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to know where the best bargains are for 24 packs of 500ml beer are this Xmas. I dont mean cheap nasty rubbish. Stuff like Bud, Heineken, Carlsberg etc etc.

Best i could find was 24 cans of bud for 26.99 (euro) in Dunnes Stores.

Not bad considering that some off licenses are asking 35/36 euro!!:eek:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I dont mean cheap nasty rubbish. Stuff like Bud, Heineken, Carlsberg etc etc.

Hee, some folk think that is cheap nasty rubbish!

Anyway, yeah lots of the big supermarkets do seem to have big can slab deals on at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Prenderb wrote: »
    Hee, some folk think that is cheap nasty rubbish!

Anyway, yeah lots of the big supermarkets do seem to have big can slab deals on at the minute.

True, but i very much doubt i would be able to pick 24 bottles of premium posh beer for a decent price.

Cheap & nasty to me is muck like Dutch gold, R dutch, carling, tennents etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Nothing wrong with Carling!!!! Tesco had 24 bottles of Heineken for 17.99 the other day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

My local SV is selling Heineken for 27.50

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

OP, have you tried tasting the cheap ones and premium ones next to each other blind? You could save yourself some money.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    OP, have you tried tasting the cheap ones and premium ones next to each other blind? You could save yourself some money.

Fair enough. Give me an example?

Get a can of Heineken, a can of Dutch Gold, a can of Carlsberg and a can of Hackenberg, say. Get someone to serve you them without telling you which they are, and pick your favourites. It might turn out the way you expected, but if it doesn't then you know you're happier with the cheap stuff.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Get a can of Heineken, a can of Dutch Gold, a can of Carlsberg and a can of Hackenberg, say. Get someone to serve you them without telling you which they are, and pick your favourites. It might turn out the way you expected, but if it doesn't then you know you're happier with the cheap stuff.

Others to try are Stoya, Bavaria, Tuborg, Prazsky even Karpackie :D.

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Others to try are Stoya, Bavaria, Tuborg, Prazsky even Karpackie :D.
    It's all good :D

I've done a few of these, but not lager yet.

Ok i get what your saying fellas but what about the hangover factor. Cheap beer = hangover?
    Got a vicious hangover off a dozen Brahma the other day.
    Tyskie is a quality polish beer with zero Hangover but its not cheap anymore.
    Lech is a good beer also but again its not exactly cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

trip to lidl?

buy beers with nothing but the three ingredients?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Ok i get what your saying fellas but what about the hangover factor. Cheap beer = hangover?

And of course, too much "posh" beer doesn't cause hangovers:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Tyskie is a quality polish beer with zero Hangover but its not cheap anymore.
    Lech is a good beer also but again its not exactly cheap.

Tyskie mightn't be cheap in absolute terms, but it's 5.6% alcohol so from that point of view it works out fairly alright.

Cheap beer = hangover?
    Myth. Drinking too much alcohol = hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

24 pack of perlenbacher in lidl for €20.00 this week. Alright, alright....i know they are not exactly a 'slab' but you can get 4 x 6 pack at €5.00 each.

Imo, they are nicer than the buds, heinekens etc. In fact, it is the only lager that i would drink. Actually I lie, i had a bavaria in my local the other day whick was pretty nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marceldesailly

Ye i'd say it was the price that did it alright

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

bud, heineken etc wouldnt be considered premium beers really. anyways just cause dunnes and tesco cant get customers true there door they take a hit on booze in a bid to get customers in..you say €35, 36 is dear but your forgetting a slab of heino was 46 in dunnes 4 weeks ago, a slab of cider was 56.40 so basically they robbed you then and are just cuttin their losses now. 35 is a great price to be honest...as for premium beers tiger, peroni, tyskie, spaten to name a few!

Myth. Drinking too much alcohol = hangover.

Nope thats just one of many reasons why you get a hangover. Personally i have a habit of drinking too quickly when i start out on a night. That & poor quality beer always give me a serious headache the next day.
    I know this because when i do actually pace my drinking regardless of the quantity im fine the next day.

Ye i'd say it was the price that did it alright

You are aware that brahma comes in 330ml bottles? Hardly a huge amount of beer consumed over a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You are aware that brahma comes in 330ml bottles? Hardly a huge amount of beer consumed over a few hours.

eh, it's the equivalent to just shy of 8 50cl cans and at 4.8% would easily be similar to drinking 8 draught pints.
    I'd expect a hangover after that!:eek:

But, having said that, I definitely see a correlation between the quality of the beverage consumed and the nastiness of the hangover. But quantity of alcohol consumed is the biggest factor.

• Advertisement

tippguy wrote: »
    bud, heineken etc wouldnt be considered premium beers really.
    Who said that? I certainly didnt.
    My local off licence is a dear hole. I wouldnt buy a box of matches in there. Their always looking for a few cent more than the supermarkets so thats where i buy my beer. I couldnt care less about them.
    eh, it's the equivalent to just shy of 8 50cl cans and at 4.8% would easily be similar to drinking 8 draught pints.
    I'd expect a hangover after that!:eek:

But, having said that, I definitely see a correlation between the quality of the beverage consumed and the nastiness of the hangover. But quantity of alcohol consumed is the biggest factor.

Ok i suppose when i look at it like that its a fair bit of drink alright.
    But i stand by my opinion on pacing ones drinking. If you drank 5 pints in the space of say 1.5 hours, you will have a headache the next day. Your body can not process that amount of alcohol in such a short space of time.
    If you drink the same quantity in 3 or 4 hours you will not get a hangover. Its all about timing.

If you drank 5 pints in the space of say 1.5 hours, you will have a headache the next day. Your body can not process that amount of alcohol in such a short space of time.
    If you drink the same quantity in 3 or 4 hours you will not get a hangover. Its all about timing.
    And the timing is a factor because it affects the amount of alcohol in your bloodstream at any given time.

Which comes to the same thing as too much alcohol = hangover. Drink less, drink slowly, drink water. The price of the beer is not relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Anywhoo, regarding slabs of beer, if you like a cheap beer you'll be able to get a cheap slab, I'd get some galahad over bud personally, karpackie is 4 for 5 as is prazsky these days, so a slab of either of them would be 30. Imo that's not pushing the boat out too much. Then there's other things like bass if you like that, or number of other beers in dunnes that people often overlook (that I can't think of right now). Point is I wouldn't even begin looking at a big name brand for this sort of thing unless it was on offer, and clearly you can get beer as good or better for the offer price so I'd rather avail of that. I think at this stage if the op wants better advice that whats already been offered on this thread they'll have to tell us more about their beer likes and dislikes.

Anywhoo, regarding slabs of beer, if you like a cheap beer you'll be able to get a cheap slab, I'd get some galahad over bud personally, karpackie is 4 for 5 as is prazsky these days, so a slab of either of them would be 30. Imo that's not pushing the boat out too much. Then there's other things like bass if you like that, or number of other beers in dunnes that people often overlook (that I can't think of right now). Point is I wouldn't even begin looking at a big name brand for this sort of thing unless it was on offer, and clearly you can get beer as good or better for the offer price so I'd rather avail of that. I think at this stage if the op wants better advice that whats already been offered on this thread they'll have to tell us more about their beer likes and dislikes.

Im the OP & i mostly drink the following beers; Bud, Heineken, Carlsberg, Tyskie. Yes thats pretty boring but i stick with what i know is fairly decent. Used to drink Carling & Fosters but i went off it. I dont have a specific list of criteria when it comes to what i think is a nice beer. As long as it doesnt have a nasty lingering aftertaste or that metallic taste that some lager has.
    I have tried tuborg, prazsky, Brahma & i didnt like them.
    I am willing to try other beers, in fact i would really like to find a cheaper alternative that tastes good. There has been a few recommendations on this thread & will follow them up.
    Bavaria & Perlenbacher seem to be getting the thumbs up so i'l check them out first.
    Im sick of drinking the same stuff week after week. Any suggestions are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Just wanted to know where the best bargains are for 24 packs of 500ml beer are this Xmas. I dont mean cheap nasty rubbish. Stuff like Bud, Heineken, Carlsberg etc etc.

Best i could find was 24 cans of bud for 26.99 (euro) in Dunnes Stores.

Not bad considering that some off licenses are asking 35/36 euro!!:eek:
    Thats because the smaller off licences don't have over 200 stores in their chains! They don't receive huge discounts for massive bulk purchases that Tesco, Super Valu and Dunnes do. And they also don't the option of making a loss on alcohol while making huge profits on such products as hand creams and milk like the big supermarkets do. The little man has to make a living too you know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Im the OP & i mostly drink the following beers; Bud, Heineken, Carlsberg, Tyskie. Yes thats pretty boring but i stick with what i know is fairly decent. Used to drink Carling & Fosters but i went off it. I dont have a specific list of criteria when it comes to what i think is a nice beer. As long as it doesnt have a nasty lingering aftertaste or that metallic taste that some lager has.
    I have tried tuborg, prazsky, Brahma & i didnt like them.
    I am willing to try other beers, in fact i would really like to find a cheaper alternative that tastes good. There has been a few recommendations on this thread & will follow them up.
    Bavaria & Perlenbacher seem to be getting the thumbs up so i'l check them out first.
    Im sick of drinking the same stuff week after week. Any suggestions are welcome.

Well I've seen carlsberg advertised as 4 for 5 in the local 'fine wines' offie, I'm not sure if that's a franchise or not but its a big premises in westside galway so I got the impression that there might be more than one.
    I'm surprised you didn't like prazsky but think karpackie is worth a go. I would put aldi's galahad above bavaria, plus they have a belgian beer thats about 10c more and quite nice, so its definitely worth looking in aldi. Beamish is about 1.70 in aldi atm too which is pretty decent for an Irish stout, although doesn't fit into the cheap section.
    Stella artois is on offer a lot of the time from different outlets but probably not the cans. Still worth a look though when going cheap.

grenache wrote: »
    Thats because the smaller off licences don't have over 200 stores in their chains! They don't receive huge discounts for massive bulk purchases that Tesco, Super Valu and Dunnes do. And they also don't the option of making a loss on alcohol while making huge profits on such products as hand creams and milk like the big supermarkets do. The little man has to make a living too you know ;)

Theres a reason why every town in ireland has 3 off licenses, because they're an easy way to make money. Just like pharmacies & betting shops.

I understand what your saying but my financial circumstances dictate where i buy my beer. Times are tough so people will vote with their feet when it comes to getting a good deal & why shouldnt they?
    Whoever runs my local off licence doesnt seem to realize were in a recession so why should i feel quilty because i choose to get a better price elsewhere?

Theres a reason why every town in ireland has 3 off licenses, because they're an easy way to make money. Just like pharmacies & betting shops.

I understand what your saying but my financial circumstances dictate where i buy my beer. Times are tough so people will vote with their feet when it comes to getting a good deal & why shouldnt they?
    Whoever runs my local off licence doesnt seem to realize were in a recession so why should i feel quilty because i choose to get a better price elsewhere?
    and you are more than entitled to vote with your feet. I'm merely explaining why its not possible for the smaller off licences to sell below cost. I can guarantee you that come Christmas Eve, there will be a lot of people who wont be willing to cue 20 mins at their locals Dunnes and who will be willing to pay the extra 10 euro for a slab in their local offie, without having to wait half the day queuing.

Well I've seen carlsberg advertised as 4 for 5 in the local 'fine wines' offie, I'm not sure if that's a franchise or not but its a big premises in westside galway so I got the impression that there might be more than one.
    I'm surprised you didn't like prazsky but think karpackie is worth a go.

Beamish is about 1.70 in aldi atm too which is pretty decent for an Irish stout, although doesn't fit into the cheap section.
    Fine Wines is centrally owned, its not a franchise. They've got around 20 shops nationwide. That Carlsberg looks like a good offer until you discover its the 3.8% UK import version. Pretty weak stuff! Dont touch Karpackie, it'll rot the insides of your stomach, very bad stuff!

+1 on the Beamish though, 1.70 is a great price for a quailty stout. Aldi are really starting to impress me with their beer offers of late. Most places will do the Draught 8 pack for E12.99 which is great value too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Don't feel guilty, but don't complain when there is no choice but the supermarket, when you want some friendly genuine advice, when you want to buy something out of the ordinary, when you want to order something special.

Advertisement