Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hankey slabbering again / Taylor against BDO buyout

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Another question leading on from this....have PDC always used Unicorn boards? Have Unicorn boards trebles/doubles always looked bigger or is this just with recent technology(thin wires)?[/quote]

couldn't tell u if they always used unicorn, i think they always have but not sure

but d reason they look bigger is cos of d thin wires

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Devastator wrote: »
    According to spankey its a fact :confused: In fact, from reading the article again it almost seems like he is contributing this 'fact' to the reason Taylor's 14 time world champion. Or maybe its just the way the article has been edited.

Another question leading on from this....have PDC always used Unicorn boards? Have Unicorn boards trebles/doubles always looked bigger or is this just with recent technology(thin wires)?
    I think the PDC used Nodor boards up until the late 90's (98-99) and they were the boards with the staples on them

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

yeah the pdc used Nodor early days, they had thinner wire than the winmau's of the time but had huge staples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tippdar

hankey wrong on the fact that taylor woulnd't have won as many titles if he stayed with the bdo,
    i agree up to a couple years ago the bdo had some really good players, king, anderson, webster, whitlock, thornton etc. but taylor has beaten these players consistently over the last year or so ,
    i think the real question here is will hankey move to the pdc? i don't think he will but if he's as good as he say he is then he will consider a move to the pdc, ill rest my case if he does and wins a pdc WC .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Sky darts is miles better, both in presentation and players.

Hankey should come over and prove his point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Those 4 r far better than Scott Waites, Tony O Shea and Martin Adams and Daryl Fitton is it! U wont b long losing ur money if ur going betting money on that my good man.

lol at this, clueless much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

the bdo is the 1st division and they get promoted to the premier league which is the pdc
    hanky would be in a relagation dogfight to even stay up lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

the BDO looks a jewelry for skangers.

rough is not the word

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

jwshooter wrote: »
    the BDO looks a jewelry for skangers.

rough is not the word

Good point :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tommymc100

ye obviously havent watched anything but sky darts for the last 15 years. no doubt hes streets ahead of the rest now but he was beating nothing in the pdc for years. and just cos he had a higher average than the equivalent bdo winner doesnt mean sweet fa cos the big trebles blow that argument out of the water.

Every time the BDO crowns a new champion they seem to defect to the pdc examples webster Barney Klasson Part and more besidesexceptions are Adams and Hankey even the King Anderson Baxter and Thornton moved in my opinion the only decent player left in the BDO is O Shea anyone who thinks the BDO is better is Blind

PS the reason there is so many noisey fans watching the PDC is Because it's worth watching;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ivers57

Lads what was Klassens average when he beat Barney to win a BDO Championship.
    Think it was in the 80's
    You would not win a 2nd round game in the PDC with an average like that.

Gulfs apart. Amateur = BDO, Professional = PDC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

love him or hate him, you have to hand it to Kankey, he certainly sells tickets

i dont mind him to be honest, he`s a prick and all, but at least he has a personality

as for someone him saying taylor wouldnt have won 14 world titles in the bdo, he`s right, it would have been alot more!!!

i watch it avidly, its still a great tournament for entertainment values, but some of the darts are shockign, sure just off the top of my head there`s a few champions that where abissmal, john boy walton, Les wallace(left handed scot, pure dirt), Tony David, Jelle klassen

there straight away is 4 champions Taylor would beat with his left hand

the PDC is the pros, the bdo`s is the amatures, its common fact

oh, and for the unicorn treble and doubles being bigger, didnt unicorn reduced the wire size to reduce bounce outs, it doesnt really make the beds any bigger per say

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

oh, and for the unicorn treble and doubles being bigger, didnt unicorn reduced the wire size to reduce bounce outs, it doesnt really make the beds any bigger per say

smaller wires do reduce bounceouts but have to increase the size of trebles due to the fact they are thinner, I've got both boards and the eclipse is bigger but its far less bigger than people think. Not only that but not having bounce outs alone increases the average, regardless of whether its in or out your bounceout is at least 20 points on the floor in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

padr81 wrote: »
    smaller wires do reduce bounceouts but have to increase the size of trebles due to the fact they are thinner, I've got both boards and the eclipse is bigger but its far less bigger than people think. Not only that but not having bounce outs alone increases the average, regardless of whether its in or out your bounceout is at least 20 points on the floor in most cases.

I think the point he was getting at was "technically" the trebles are same size, but its due to the wire's being smaller ...which in turn makes the treble look bigger.

Since this on sly sports website, its an interview with Wade (if anyone is interested whole thing is @ http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12287_5775959,00.html but I've just taken out bit relevant to this topic.
    What did you think of Barry Hearn's £1million offer to buy the BDO?
    JW:
    I'm not against it, but I don't think there's anyone left in the BDO that's any threat or could get inside the top six in the PDC apart from Martin Adams who is definitely a world-class player and always has been. But he'll give up before he comes over here. The others wouldn't get close in my opinion, but I think they should come over and see how good they are.
    Is there any merit in still having two organisations?
    JW:
    You need the BDO as a breeding ground. You can't bring players straight into the PDC because they'll just have the stuffing knocked out of them. You'll get the odd person that will come through and play to the top level, but not many. You need somewhere they can learn to play the game and put up with the pressure and the nerves, then progress to the PDC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well, I started watching the PDC around 1999 or 2000. In the years previous I had watched the BDO's one tournament. After the first year of seeing the PDC world championship, I tuned back into the BDO's world championship thinking "The PDC was good but this, this is the real deal" well it didn't take too long for me to become disillusioned. Maybe I had been spoiled by the PDC's big time, high scoring professional sheen but watching the BDO was never the same again and I'm sure there's others like me. Hankey can go on about it but why not try it on with the big boys in the PDC and really put up or shut up. I'd say BDO stalwarts like Hankey and Adams are there partially out of loyalty but also because they are afraid of no longer being a big fish in a small pond, looking down on any fish of a similar size who invariably moves on.

Advertisement