Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hankey slabbering again / Taylor against BDO buyout

Options
  • 14-12-2009 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭

found these articles which some of you may be interested in.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/othersport/view/112479/Ted-Hankey-blasts-Phil-Taylor/
    TED HANKEY says darts legend Phil Taylor has had it easy.
    Taylor is a 14-time PDC world champ, while Hankey, dubbed ‘The Count’ holds the rival BDO crown. And Hankey, 41, stoked up the bitter feud between the codes ahead of Potteries ace Taylor’s title defence, which starts at Alexandra Palace on Friday.

Telford-based Hankey said: “The PDC doubles and trebles are bigger than on the BDO boards.
    “I don’t know why, maybe it’s because their wires are thinner. But it is a fact they are bigger than what we play on.
    “Their fans say Phil Taylor this, Phil Taylor that. “But would he have won 14 world titles at the Lakeside? I don’t think he would.”

Lakeside king Hankey was furious after being loudly booed by fans at the cross-code Grand Slam of Darts.
    He said: “The downside of their darts is the crowds, all getting p****d up, shouting and screaming. It’s not good. “It’s not intimidating, just annoying. I’m earning my living and they were all shouting, ‘Miss, miss, miss’. “The crowd at Lakeside are quieter – but still with a buzz. If they shout miss, they’re out.”

But Taylor, 49, blasted back at Hankey, saying: “If you could win 14 world titles with your mouth, then Ted would have done that.
    “Ted has played on our boards – and he hasn’t won those tournaments. “And he got a hard time at the Grand Slam of Darts because of the way he is on stage. “The fans don’t like it and they will have their say."

Maybe someone with knowledge of the different boards can comment on the size....but how can he claims PDC boards are easier when he went out in 1st round of grand slam. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/other-sports-news/former-darts-champion-andy-fordham-reveals-how-close-he-came-to-destroying-himself-with-drink-1.991699

Good interview with Andy Fordham, quite long so didn't C&P it across.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12288_5771923,00.html
    Phil Taylor says British Darts Organisation chiefs do not deserve the £1million that Barry Hearn has offered them.
    In October, Professional Darts Corporation chairman Hearn offered £1m to buy out the BDO and pledged to pump a further £1m into the grass roots of the sport.
    However, BDO head Olly Croft dismissed the offer as "a cheap publicity stunt" and was not willing to combine the two organisations or end the split that has divided professional darts since 1993.
    PDC world number one Taylor, who is managed by Hearn, admits he would like to see the creation of a single World Championship.
    But he was glad the BDO turned down Hearn because he does not believe their chiefs deserve such a big payday.
    He told skysports.com: "I'm quite glad they said no because I think we can spend £2million on something else.
    "Put it into tournaments as prize money rather than giving it to those sour-faced crabapples.
    "The players are okay, but it's the officials. You'll find in any sport that it's the people that don't play that cause all the trouble."
    Row

Taylor, who won the first two of his 14 World Championship titles playing in the BDO, was among the players that helped create the new organisation in 1993 following a row over a lack of sponsorship and prize money.
    And he believes unification would ultimately be good for the BDO players because the sport's finances would be handled better by Hearn.
    "I would love to see them joined together," he continued.
    "Then there'd be one World Championship and it would cut out all the nonsense about who's the best and who isn't.
    "Also, Barry Hearn would create a good league for them, he'd plough money into the game - as the BDO don't - and it wouldn't all be whittled away as it is now. There'd be more prize money and more sponsorship."

Profit

The PDC claims they made more than £1m in profit last year, compared to the £16,000 they say was earned by the BDO.
    And Taylor dismissed the business acumen of the BDO and suggested they are not qualified to run darts at the top level.
    He continued: "The BDO committee is like a working men's club at the moment; one's a plumber, one's a bricklayer, one's on the dole. They're not business people.
    "Barry Hearn's a different class, he's my manager so I've got to say that, but he is.
    "I've been with both organisations so I know what work Barry does and what they do.
    "They don't even come close to lacing his boots."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭shockframe

Lakeside king.come off it.

just trying to get publicity before a possible premier league place methinks.

apparently niels de ruiter called him a sellout at the weekend on dutch tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

shockframe wrote: »
    Lakeside king.come off it.

just trying to get publicity before a possible premier league place methinks.

apparently niels de ruiter called him a sellout at the weekend on dutch tv

Who? Hankey? :confused:

He's got about as much chance being in the premier league as Tiger Woods being voted husband of the year! I don't think we'll ever see him take part in another PDC tournament again (thankfully).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭shockframe

Devastator wrote: »
    Who? Hankey? :confused:

(thankfully).

stranger things have happened.do not underestimate your uncle barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

planky hanky at it again, after his display at the grand slam and he still thinks he could beat tayloy lol, its a pity they didnt meet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

If (and it is a BIG if) he decided to join the PDC he would be a shoe in for the Premier League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Maybe someone with knowledge of the different boards can comment on the size....but how can he claims PDC boards are easier when he went out in 1st round of grand slam. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

If they are bigger it is actually to his benefit. If you look back to the 2007 & maybe the 2008 grand slam of darts, the BDO lads were certainly scoring heavier than the PDC lads, mainly due to this point.

Degag wrote:
    If (and it is a BIG if) he decided to join the PDC he would be a shoe in for the Premier League.

You can just imagine him. Taylor v Hankey in Stoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭theroversreturn

regarding the boards having bigger trebles and doubles this is a fact. sky came in and had unicorm make virutally invisible wires so that id would appear that the sky fellas were way better than the bbc fellas scoring all these 180s. unfortunately loads of people believed this and constantly put down the bdo when in actual fact its only been in the last few years that a sizeable gap has appeared and thats only because taylor has gone untouchable. i agree with ted in that taylor wouldnt have won 14 titles if he had stayed in the bdo. over the years there have been numerous bdo players who could have and would have beaten taylor in the bdo. when gary anderson left the bdo that was a big blow people seem to forget that he beat taylor in 2 big european titles when he was bdo number 1. his form since he joined hasnt been tremendous but he is taylors biggest threat when he has his head on. back to the boards anyone who plays darts to a high enough level has to agree that its much easier to hit maxes on eclipse pros than it is in blade 3s. coming off a blade 3 onto an eclipse pro u feel like taylor with all the trebles ud b hitting. anyway taylor is certainly the dominant force across both organistations at the moment and at 1/3 for the worlds this month ud b in no danger of losing if u were to lump on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

regarding the boards having bigger trebles and doubles this is a fact. sky came in and had unicorm make virutally invisible wires so that id would appear that the sky fellas were way better than the bbc fellas scoring all these 180s.

Correct the segments are bigger on the Eclipse Pro board. Still believe it or not the segments are the same size for every player and Hankey was still utterly useless in the Grand Slam, as were most of the BDO players.
    i agree with ted in that taylor wouldnt have won 14 titles if he had stayed in the bdo. over the years there have been numerous bdo players who could have and would have beaten taylor in the bdo.

Utter rubbish. As much as I don't like Taylor, he is streets ahead of EVERY darts player that has ever lived. I mean it is not even close and no one can touch the man. Barney could possibly have challenged Taylor in the BDO but I doubt it. All the other big name players bar Hankey have already moved to the PDC where Taylor still wins everything.

Honestly mate that is one the most ridiculous comments I have read an this forum.

As for Hanley he is simply looking for a head to head match with Taylor to give himself a big pay day. The man is full of talk but rarely backs it up on the dartboard as he showed with his pathetic displays at the Grand Prix.

Sorry King, have to agree with the previous poster - Taylor would not have won 14 titles in the BDO - he'd be going for number 19 this year!

ye obviously havent watched anything but sky darts for the last 15 years. no doubt hes streets ahead of the rest now but he was beating nothing in the pdc for years. and just cos he had a higher average than the equivalent bdo winner doesnt mean sweet fa cos the big trebles blow that argument out of the water.

• Advertisement

ye obviously havent watched anything but sky darts for the last 15 years. no doubt hes streets ahead of the rest now but he was beating nothing in the pdc for years. and just cos he had a higher average than the equivalent bdo winner doesnt mean sweet fa cos the big trebles blow that argument out of the water.

No it doesn't. Taylor would sweep up in the BDO even more so than in the PDC. It is a ridiculous statement to say otherwise. The difference between the doubles and trebles probably couldn't even be measured in millimeters it's so small.

When it comes down to it, the likes of Barnevald, Wade, Part, Anderson and King are still ahead of the best that the BDO have to offer and they can't beat Taylor for love nor money at the moment - and most of those players have come from the BDO recently.

what ur forgetting here is that its only in the last year or 2 that taylor has become absolutely unbeatable. plus go back another few years and barney, king, anderson and the rest were in the bdo while taylor was hammering mugs in the pdc. the bdo was much stronger man for man even 5 years ago i would say. go back 5 years and play the best 10 from the bdo against the best 10 from the pdc and the bdo would have won 7 3, 99 times out of 100. im not arguing that the bdo would have any chance against a pdc selection now cos they wouldnt but its not that long ago that they were stronger and would have given phil a much sterner test than he used to be getting off denis smith, andy jenkins etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

Are you for real, the PDC was founded by basically the 16 best BDO players of all time.

what has that got to do with anything

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

go back 5 years and play the best 10 from the bdo against the best 10 from the pdc and the bdo would have won 7 3, 99 times out of 100.

Even if that was true (which it isn't) it's still completely irrelevant because Taylor is BY FAR the best player and has been for a long long time. he has been battering everyone for years. The best players from the BDO 5 years ago are now playing in the PDC and can't get anywhere near Taylor. The only players that are in the BDO now and 5 years ago that are good are Adams, Fitton, O' Shea and Hankey and they are no where near Taylors standard.

Honestly I thought I would never see the day that I stand up for Taylor but this really is a ridiculous argument.

what ur forgetting here is that its only in the last year or 2 that taylor has become absolutely unbeatable. plus go back another few years and barney, king, anderson and the rest were in the bdo while taylor was hammering mugs in the pdc. the bdo was much stronger man for man even 5 years ago i would say. go back 5 years and play the best 10 from the bdo against the best 10 from the pdc and the bdo would have won 7 3, 99 times out of 100. im not arguing that the bdo would have any chance against a pdc selection now cos they wouldnt but its not that long ago that they were stronger and would have given phil a much sterner test than he used to be getting off denis smith, andy jenkins etc.

In one way i agree with you. I have always said on here that the gulf in class between the BDO and PDC is not as great as people may think. I could easily see the likes of O'Shea, Hankey, Fitton etc challenge to get into the top 20 or even top 10 of the PDC - alnog with the Painters, Mardles, Manleys, Lewis' etc - ie. the more inconsistant players - but the arguement is regarding Taylor, you said he would not have won 14 WC's in the BDO

Taylor is far better than Wade, Barnevald, Part and King - who are the top 5 in the PDC right now. These four players are in turn better than any player in the BDO right now - so what chance would any player have of stopping Taylor at the Lakeside? This may as such be only my opinion - but there are alot of facts to back it up.

The most laughable statement that you have made is that Taylor has only become unbeatable in the last 2 years - sure he has upped his average considerably in the last few years but so have all the other players and in fact i would go as far to say that he has lost more games in the last few years than he ever did in previous years. What i am saying is that Taylor has always been the best, and not just in the last two years.

Yes cause Barney, King and Anderson are still streets ahead of the mugs in the PDC. Mugs like Terry Jenkins, James Wade, John Part, Dennis Priestley, Steve Beaton, Ronnie Baxter etc....

I mean the fact the PDC was formed from the BDO Top 16 proves the PDC were all mugs. Seriously though these mugs from the pdc only won EVERY SINGLE BDO WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FROM 1979 UNTIL 1994 when the PDC formed

Go back 5 years ago and the BDO would still have won sweet **** all. Terry Jenkins, Phil Taylor, Priestley etc... would of easily beaten Martin Adams, Van Barnevald etc....

Only Mervyn King has come across and done well really when you think about it, as Barney has failed to live up to all the hype and expectations.

Name me one ex top BDO player bar King who has over achieved in the PDC? Just one.

Barney, Anderson, Thornton, Van Gerwan, Klassen, Webster etc... have all underachieved by there own standards and reputations, a man of Barney's ability who can average 100 on a Winmau should easily match Taylor's 110 average on an eclipse surely.... I mean the treble are almost 0.5mm taller and wider.

Who holds the Top 2 averages in the BDO world final on those ****ty boards?

I do believe its a certain Mr. Phil Taylor with 97.59 and 97.47, back when as you say he was still beatable and the boards were far ****tier than the new Blade III's,

oh and the Bulls Advantage boards used at WDF events are even bigger scoring machines than the Eclipse Pro but none of the top BDO players have ever beaten Taylor's averages on those. Still lets not talk facts right?

Degag wrote: »
    Taylor is far better than Wade, Barnevald, Part and King - who are the top 5 in the PDC right now. These four players are in turn better than any player in the BDO right now - so what chance would any player have of stopping Taylor at the Lakeside? This may as such be only my opinion - but there are alot of facts to back it up.

Those 4 r far better than Scott Waites, Tony O Shea and Martin Adams and Daryl Fitton is it! U wont b long losing ur money if ur going betting money on that my good man.
    Degag wrote: »
    The most laughable statement that you have made is that Taylor has only become unbeatable in the last 2 years - sure he has upped his average considerably in the last few years but so have all the other players and in fact i would go as far to say that he has lost more games in the last few years than he ever did in previous years. What i am saying is that Taylor has always been the best, and not just in the last two years

who else has upped their game like he has? hes won every telly tournament so how do ya make out that hes after losing more games in the last 2 years?

padr81 wrote: »

Name me one ex top BDO player bar King who has over achieved in the PDC? Just one.

James Wade? John Part?

However i agree with you. The likes of Wade and King were pretty average players in the BDO. It took for them to come to the PDC for their ability to trully shine.

• Advertisement

Part was a good player in the BDO but bar his world championship win didn't really compete in many events. Wade left the BDO before doing anything of note and probably joined the PDC too early even by his own admission. It wasn't until late 2005 that he started to compete with the better players of either code but essentially they didn't leave from near the top of the BDO tree with teh hype and expectations like the others

Those 4 r far better than Scott Waites, Tony O Shea and Martin Adams and Daryl Fitton is it! U wont b long losing ur money if ur going betting money on that my good man.

I would be prepared to bet a considerable mount of money on it.

hes won every telly tournament so how do ya make out that hes after losing more games in the last 2 years?

Not talking about tv tournies per se, but in non televised tournaments he has been beaten a few times.
    who else has upped their game like he has?

They have all upped their games, just not to the degree that Taylor has. The standerd of darts is much higher than even 5 years ago to prove my point.

oh and the Bulls Advantage boards used at WDF events are even bigger scoring machines than the Eclipse Pro but none of the top BDO players have ever beaten Taylor's averages on those. Still lets not talk facts right?

havent seen one of them advantage boards but i think they mite a been using them last weekend in Holland they certainly looked like theyd unicorn like trebles. as regards averages theres plenty bdo players ramming in taylor like averages in the big tournament fitton had 113 in a 5 set game last weekend he also had a 9 darter in another match. anderson was knocking in major averages when he was in the bdo beating taylor in a few tournaments as well. o shea had some massive average winning the world cup singles this year. everyone has their opinion and we'l never know but i still maintain he wouldnt have had it all his own way over the years like he did in the pdc.

havent seen one of them advantage boards but i think they mite a been using them last weekend in Holland they certainly looked like theyd unicorn like trebles. as regards averages theres plenty bdo players ramming in taylor like averages in the big tournament fitton had 113 in a 5 set game last weekend he also had a 9 darter in another match. anderson was knocking in major averages when he was in the bdo beating taylor in a few tournaments as well. o shea had some massive average winning the world cup singles this year. everyone has their opinion and we'l never know but i still maintain he wouldnt have had it all his own way over the years like he did in the pdc.

Yes and fair play to them and they ahve some very very good players, but to say Taylor has beaten mugs in the PDC is way over the top. No one is doubting that the BDO have some good players but one look at their rankings shows about 8-10 players with an average of over 90 constantly. The entire top 16 of the PDC clock in about 95 all the time (constantly) bar a few the BDO boys just don't even on an Eclipse like board. I've seen Hankey, Kong and Woods etc... all far apart far easier than the top pdc boys.

5 years ago King was a good player and he has improved almost as remarkably as Taylor, particulary when it comes to consistantly averaging 95+.

As good and all as Daryll Fitton is on his day (weekend even), I've seen him average 70 for England, 80 in the masters against Connie Finnan and as with Gary Anderson the consistency just isn't there all the time. Fitton would win an event and than lose 5 straight first rounds, that won't work in the pdc.

Yes and fair play to them and they ahve some very very good players, but to say Taylor has beaten mugs in the PDC is way over the top. No one is doubting that the BDO have some good players but one look at their rankings shows about 8-10 players with an average of over 90 constantly. The entire top 16 of the PDC clock in about 95 all the time (constantly) bar a few the BDO boys just don't even on an Eclipse like board. I've seen Hankey, Kong and Woods etc... all far apart far easier than the top pdc boys.

5 years ago King was a good player and he has improved almost as remarkably as Taylor, particulary when it comes to consistantly averaging 95+.

As good and all as Daryll Fitton is on his day (weekend even), I've seen him average 70 for England, 80 in the masters against Connie Finnan and as with Gary Anderson the consistency just isn't there all the time. Fitton would win an event and than lose 5 straight first rounds, that won't work in the pdc.

wouldnt argue with most of that besides maybe the averages but id a still liked to have seen if phil woulda won all that many in the bdo but we'l never know

It's all about consistency. There is no point going out and hammering someone with 113 average and then averaging 90 in the next round. If you did that in the PDC you would get no where. I am not bashing the BDO, there is some top class players in there, but this discussion is about Taylor and he averages over 100 9 times out of ten and that is why is far and away the best player out there. Tony O' Shea had an over 100 average against Taylor in the Grand Slam and he was blown away.

I always maintain that if you take Taylor out of the equation then there is very little difference between the top 8 in both organisations but the fact is that Taylor is way ahead of all of them.

Personally I think he would have had it easier in the BDO, especially through the 90's.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    It's all about consistency. There is no point going out and hammering someone with 113 average and then averaging 90 in the next round. If you did that in the PDC you would get no where. I am not bashing the BDO, there is some top class players in there, but this discussion is about Taylor and he averages over 100 9 times out of ten and that is why is far and away the best player out there. Tony O' Shea had an over 100 average against Taylor in the Grand Slam and he was blown away.

I always maintain that if you take Taylor out of the equation then there is very little difference between the top 8 in both organisations but the fact is that Taylor is way ahead of all of them.

Personally I think he would have had it easier in the BDO, especially through the 90's.
    agree with everything except the last line but we'l just have to agree to disagree on that one

right so, forgetting about the BDO Vs PDC debate that this thread has turned into, we're all basically in agreement that Hankey is talking balls because .05mm(or whatever) in the grand scheme of things makes FA difference

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

because .05mm(or whatever) in the grand scheme of things makes FA difference
    I think its the fact when you play on a winmau blade board then go and play on a unicorn eclipse (i know the treble size difference is ever so slight)but it does look like the trebles are much bigger!

I'd recommend practicing at home on a winmau blade.

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I think its the fact when you play on a winmau blade board then go and play on a unicorn eclipse (i know the treble size difference is ever so slight)but it does look like the trebles are much bigger!

I'd recommend practicing at home on a winmau blade.

According to spankey its a fact :confused: In fact, from reading the article again it almost seems like he is contributing this 'fact' to the reason Taylor's 14 time world champion. Or maybe its just the way the article has been edited.

Another question leading on from this....have PDC always used Unicorn boards? Have Unicorn boards trebles/doubles always looked bigger or is this just with recent technology(thin wires)?

Advertisement