Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair + Ski Bag

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Having just done a Ryanair return flight to Turin I can confirm a few things.
    When queuing in Dublin at gate a Ryanair person walks up and down the line checking people's hand luggage. Anything that looks too big is pulled out. Everyone with Ski Boot bags got done. We were not in the queue and so she did not see my friend's ski boot bag. We were the last to board and no one spotted his ski boot bag. So further proof that people who race into the queue for boarding are sad.
    I had put my boots in my checked baggage and got done €40 for 2.7kg over weight. There was nothing I could do to get weight down lower.
    On the way back I put one boot in checked baggae and one in carry on. I was slightly over weight on checked baggage but the nice girl at check-in let it go, I smiled nicely at her.
    53 Degrees north sell a perfect North Face bag that fits two ski boots head to toe lying flat, and you can still get plenty of other stuff in it. It will fit in the slot it even had straps so you can out it on your back. I think it is quite pricey though, maybe €80.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Having just done a Ryanair return flight to Turin I can confirm a few things.
    When queuing in Dublin at gate a Ryanair person walks up and down the line checking people's hand luggage. Anything that looks too big is pulled out. Everyone with Ski Boot bags got done. We were not in the queue and so she did not see my friend's ski boot bag. We were the last to board and no one spotted his ski boot bag. So further proof that people who race into the queue for boarding are sad.
    I had put my boots in my checked baggage and got done €40 for 2.7kg over weight. There was nothing I could do to get weight down lower.
    On the way back I put one boot in checked baggae and one in carry on. I was slightly over weight on checked baggage but the nice girl at check-in let it go, I smiled nicely at her.
    53 Degrees north sell a perfect North Face bag that fits two ski boots head to toe lying flat, and you can still get plenty of other stuff in it. It will fit in the slot it even had straps so you can out it on your back. I think it is quite pricey though, maybe €80.

They do this for all flights, not limited to flights where people may be going skiing. They won't ask you to open a normal carry on bag that looks like it will fit the rack. My ski boots fit toe to head in my wheelie case- bought in M&S. I've never had any hassle but that's just my experience. THere is a lot of conflicting gumpf on this thread. The main thing appears to be make sure you're carry on bag fits example rack they use. After that you take your chances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

My wife and I bought a Dunlop case that fits the dimensions of Ryanair carry-on luggage for €10 in the Jan sale.... Our ski boots fit in, everything else will be in the Board-bag.
    If you carry on the boots the weight for the check-in luggage is not a problem, we fit 2 x sets skis, 2 x helmets, + clothes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

My sister had her boots taken off her at security (x-ray point) this week and told they could either be checked in or go in the bin. They had fitted inside her hand luggage and were the correct weight.

I went through Bauvais today (without boots) and asked, and was told they would have been taken off me too.

EileenG wrote: »
    My sister had her boots taken off her at security (x-ray point) this week and told they could either be checked in or go in the bin. They had fitted inside her hand luggage and were the correct weight.

I went through Bauvais today (without boots) and asked, and was told they would have been taken off me too.

What airport was your sister flying out of ?

• Advertisement

I've just rang Dublin Airport Security again, they have assured me there is no problem in Dublin with ski boots as hand luggage, if there is I am to ask for the Security Supervisor who will clarify it with the oficer on duty.
    Hopefully that is the case.

Advertisement