Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair + Ski Bag

Options
  • 14-12-2009 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭

Heading off for a few days tomorrow - :D:D

Im planning on stuffing my ski pants & few other ski bits in my ski bag along with my skis, this way i dont have to check in an extra bag. Has anyone ever had a problem with this, Ryanair are so anal about baggage i just said id check. At the end of the day its my "Ski Gear" + Ive looked through the policies on ryanair site and cant find anything preventing me from doing it.

Anyone had problems doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Did this a couple of times myself - didn’t over load it and never got caught.

On one occasion I put my fun skis along with my skis into my ski bag (the ski bag is slightly oversize) and they never checked.

Having said that if your caught prepare to be mugged for €€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Be aware of the new Ryanair rule of 20kg for ski luggage, if it's underweight you should be fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...and that 20kg will include your boot bag as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Quandary

Cheers, thats pretty much what i thought. I intend on doing this from now on + if i get pulled up on it im digging my heels in - whos to say a ski bag cant hold other ski related paraphernalia(unless o'leary decides to change his policies). As long as my bag is under 20Kg which it is then i should be fine!

BTW - they upped the rate for skis - an e/w charge is now €80 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Quandary

robinph wrote: »
    ...and that 20kg will include your boot bag as well.

I carry my boots in my carry on bag. ( its a squeeze but where theres a will.... :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I always stuff my bag with my pants, helmet and boots, never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tom francy

Quandary wrote: »

BTW - they upped the rate for skis - an e/w charge is now €80 :mad:

i thought it was 40 each way the website still has 40 ...if so dats mad 160 just to bring ur board

No it's €40 each way, too expensive as it is, fly Swiss, Dublin to Zurich no ski/board carriage fee. If it was €160 DIY would not be practical if you have equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

Quandary wrote: »
    I carry my boots in my carry on bag. ( its a squeeze but where theres a will.... :))

i dont this last year but never again...this year the two pairs of boots and the helmets are going in a hard suitcase stuffed with trousers for protection!!! it SHOULD be under the limit but were not with Ryanair so its not so bad!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

I have always carried my ski boot bag as hand luggage and have never had a problem, but a mate of mine got hassle over it earlier this year because the bag didn't fit max dimensions, so I'm starting to get a bit worried that they might pull me up on it. I find it virtually impossible to get main bag under 15 kg with ski boots in it.
    I'm thinking of trying to find a proper carry on bag, with wheels, that will fit my ski boots. Has anyone found anything that works?
    Regarding putting extra stuff into your ski bag, that is definitely no problem, I did it for years until I recently gave up lugging my skis around. They got old and I didn't bother upgrading them.
    I find now that I prefer to hire them and change my skis in the resort depending on the conditions. Wide skis for powder days, carving skis for non powder days etc.
    With the cost of buying skis, and then the cost of carriage, for me it works out less to hire, but that is based on a max of about 20 days skiing a season.

• Advertisement

Poster King be careful, what you did in the past doesn't apply with Ryanair or any other airline, they keep changing the rules. I know you won't be allowed through Grenoble with boots in hand luggage but should be OK elsewhere if they fit dimensions.

Hiring v owning is a different matter, I own and glad to do so as I have twin tips and the rental stock is poor from my experience. Also last season I wanted to hire a pair to race GS skis to compete with, went to about 5 shops before I got a pair and they weren't actually rental stock at all but a pair of used skis for sale and were still probably about 10cm too short! So rental is fine only if you are not fussy. To get something half decent rental skis cost alot maybe €120 a week in Austria, but I take your point about more flexibility with rental but probably less quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Poster King be careful, what you did in the past doesn't apply with Ryanair or any other airline, they keep changing the rules. I know you won't be allowed through Grenoble with boots in hand luggage but should be OK elsewhere if they fit dimensions.QUOTE]

I rang Dublin airport last week, they confirmed there is no problem with ski boots as hand luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Poster King be careful, what you did in the past doesn't apply with Ryanair or any other airline, they keep changing the rules. I know you won't be allowed through Grenoble with boots in hand luggage but should be OK elsewhere if they fit dimensions.

Not true from my experience
    Have been through Grenoble twice in the last 3 years (last time was last St Patricks) with ski boots in hand luggage and have never had a problem

Can somebody dig out the actual Ryanair terms and conditions that have apparently given rise to the ski boots in hand baggage confusion? I've never read or seen it.

I picked this up from a discussion on snowheads.com about Grenoble, apparently as so many skiers use Grenoble if everyone put boots in hand luggage there would be no room in the planes, as it's a squeeze to get them in the overhead lockers. I normally have boots as hand luggage but didn't chance it there.

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Not true from my experience
    Have been through Grenoble twice in the last 3 years (last time was last St Patricks) with ski boots in hand luggage and have never had a problem

Can somebody dig out the actual Ryanair terms and conditions that have apparently given rise to the ski boots in hand baggage confusion? I've never read or seen it.

The rule as far as I know is it is up to the airport security in each airport to decide what is allowed through, http://www.dublinairport.com/at-airport/airport-security/Carry_on_Luggage_Prohibited_Items.pdf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Being able to take you ski boots on as hand luggage is most likely to become an issue at the security point, nothing to do with Ryanair. If you can get the two boots into that frame then you are good to go, although still have them in a bag or they will count it as two items.

Ryanair keep getting the blame for things in airports that are nothing to do with them but are the airports fault. Not saying that Ryanair are blameless, but to ask questions like "I'm flying to XYZ with Ryanair, can I take a bottle of water onboard?" is the approximate line of a lot of queries you may see on the travel forum and has sod all to do with Ryanair and is just about the airport you are using.

Wish they had a bigger main bag weight limit for the times when I do check in a bag though, but that is very rare for me to do lately when flying with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Be carefull Ryanair have recently changed their policy to only allow hand lugage of a certain size onto the plane (otherwise they charge you 40 euro i think it is) While they will tell you that boots can go as hand lugage if they dont fit they will get money off you.

As you are queing up to get on the plane the staff are told to walk down the que and check bag sizes. And they get a bonus for every person they catch.

Ive my snow board bag packed now with board and boots in it also stuck in all my t shirst ski pants and socks and jocks to pad it out.

You could always wear your boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

robinph wrote: »
    You could always wear your boots.
    Can you actually get away with that (with board boots at least)? I'd say you'd have some explaining to do when you have to take them off before going through the metal detectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

They'll easily fit into cabin luggage. Just bring a wheelie case and lash them in.

• Advertisement

They guys at security won't care, except at Grenoble buy the sound of it, but I'd wear my regular footware at that stage anyway. I often take my regular boots off going through security anyway as it's just quicker that way.

If they query the size of your boot bag at the Ryanair gate I can't see what they could say if you just swap foot ware around, as long as the bag then fits in their frame they don't really care. What you actually do once on the plane doesn't really bother them much either, although the lack of space in the overhead luggage does bother other passengers so there is a reason for Ryanair being so strict.

WEARING ski boots is considered a safety issue if the plane needs to be evacuated quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

I've heard reports that Ryanair open ski bags, to ensure you only have ski equipment, skis or board, boots and poles, which means no clothes in bag, hopefully this is not the case

Can anyone confirm if this is the case

PS skiboots are not allowed to be worn on planes

k123456 wrote: »
    I've heard reports that Ryanair open ski bags, to ensure you only have ski equipment, skis or board, boots and poles, which means no clothes in bag, hopefully this is not the case

Ryanair give you a 20kg limit for your sports equipment bag, put whatever you like in that.

Charter airlines that carry your skis for free may be more picky on what else you can stuff in the ski/ board bag.

There is a lot of conflicting information flying around on this thread

1. Can you actually wear ski boots onto the plane? I can see that it might be considered a safety issue, but can someone actually find the regulation that prohibits it. There is nothing on either Aer Lingus or Ryanair websites that mentions them. Maybe there are some international airline regulations that prohibit it. I've never tried it, but my mother did it years ago I remember.

2. What is the actual situation with having ski boots as hand luggage? My understanding for most airlines, including Ryanair, is that your hand luggage must be less than 10kg and you must me able to fit it into the metal frame. Other than that I am not aware of any other restrictions that would prevent it. That DAA prohibited list doesn't mention ski boots. In the past I have used my regular Salamon ski boot bag, which I accept does not fit into the meatl frame, so to be safe from now on I will borrow/buy a purpose made hand luggage bag with wheels and see if I can fit the boots into it.

3. Ski/Board bag content - my view on this is that you can put whatever you like into is as long as it is not heavier than 15kg on Aer Lingus, and 20kg on Ryanair. (Curiously the regular baggage limit on Ryainair is 15 kg and 20kg on Aer Lingus - i.e. the reverse of the sports equipment weights)

Here are the Air Lingus Regulations:
    http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1/Support/helpBaggage.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0914976772.1260983576@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadejdmjmgkgcefecfigdffgdfki.0&P_OID=-536882416&Category=2#carryon

Carriage of Sports Equipment

The maximum weight allowable for carriage of sports equipment is 15kgs/33lbs. Normal excess baggage rates apply if the passenger carries excess to this maximum allowance.

Ski
    Aer Lingus will carry skis as checked baggage:

For flights between Ireland and North America skis are part of free allowance, normal excess baggage rates apply if the passenger carries excess to the free allowance.

There is no charge for skis for passengers travelling in Business Class. For all other flights a maximum of 1 Pair of skis, boots and poles per person and a fee of €30 or equivalent payable online prior to departure or a fee of €40 or equivalent, payable at the airport on the day of departure applies. This fee is charged each-way on outbound and return journeys.

Snow Boards
    Aer Lingus will carry Snow Boards as checked baggage:

For flights between Ireland and North America Snow Boards are part of free allowance, normal excess baggage rates apply if the passenger carries excess to the free allowance.

There is no charge for Snow Boards for passengers travelling in Business Class.

For all other routes a maximum of 1 Snow Board per person and a fee of €30 or equivalent payable online prior to departure or a fee of €40 or equivalent, payable at the airport on the day of departure applies. This fee is charged each-way on outbound and return journeys.

Ryanair's guidelines are simpler:
    http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/can-i-bring-my-sports-equipment-or-bike

There is no mention on the Grenoble Airport website of any restrictions on Ski Boots in Hand Luggage

http://www.grenoble-airport.com/-GENERAL-PUBLIC-AREA-.html

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭paulharte

I've worn my snowboard boots onto ryanair flights...... and then quickly chucked them into a plastic bag when on board!! I've done this a few times!!!

Also, there are signs up in grenoble airport itself about not bringing ski boots on board. You'd be fine on the way out, but its pretty clear its a no-go on the way back...

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

olaola wrote: »
    They'll easily fit into cabin luggage. Just bring a wheelie case and lash them in.

Agreed
    That's what I did in Grenoble- wheelie case that is overhead locker size and the boots fit in ok
    Ryanair are far more interested in the size of the overhead bag rather than the weight, I often travelled with them on business and had my laptop bag jammed into the case as well as my bits and pieces. Well over the weight allowed but didn't look it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

Has anyone found anything that works?

tried this last year...mam bought wheelie bags in dunnes which were the perfect size for getting on to planes...(and after getting it checked i mean PERFECT an inch bigger and it wasnt getting on the plane) but as for boots fitting in it...not a chance...i did try but its not worth it...put boots and clothes in suitcase...clothes in hand luggage I think is the best option!!!

• Advertisement

There is a lot of conflicting information flying around on this thread

2. What is the actual situation with having ski boots as hand luggage? My understanding for most airlines, including Ryanair, is that your hand luggage must be less than 10kg and you must me able to fit it into the metal frame. Other than that I am not aware of any other restrictions that would prevent it. That DAA prohibited list doesn't mention ski boots. In the past I have used my regular Salamon ski boot bag, which I accept does not fit into the meatl frame, so to be safe from now on I will borrow/buy a purpose made hand luggage bag with wheels and see if I can fit the boots into it.

I already answered this.....
    am i bovvered

I rang Dublin airport last week, they confirmed there is no problem with ski boots as hand luggage.

It has to fit the dimension requirements and weigh no more than 10kg

Advertisement