Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dexter Season Five - What Will Happen? (contains season 4 spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

What I want is for the whole last 3 minutes to be some kind of dream sequence and for Rita to be ok and for Dex to lead some kind of normality :(
    me 3 :( rewound about 11ty times after watching it to find any possible holes but couldn't

should be interesting to see what happens though

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Just finished watching all 4 seasons of Dexter over the last month.
    I'm absolutely devastated about Rita.

I really really really hope it wasn't real.....although I don't think it had that soft glow that occurs when Harry is around......so it probably was real.

And of course I knew that an American show with this kind of subject matter would never morally allow a serial killer protaganist to get his happily ever after.......

But I was hopeful that Dexter might have conquered his dark passenger and could go on now to be a kick ass serial killer catcher like Lundy or something.

Gutted for Dex

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I thought the scene was set up like a dream sequence so I'm hoping it is a dream sequence, it will lose a lot of it's heart if she is gone, Dexter will never be the same for me again :(
    Actually I thought it was a very cheap shock tactic by the show writers if it turns out to be real.

Interview with one of the producers at the same Dexter night

http://blog.zap2it.com/korbitv/2010/03/dexter-season-5s-main-story-has-been-decided.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Actually I thought it was a very cheap shock tactic by the show writers if it turns out to be real.

Why a cheap writing trick? I would assert the complete opposite. While shocking, it was an absolute brilliant twist to the finale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

I don't see why everyone is so sad about Rita dying? She was definately the most annoying character in the whole show. Now just to have Astor and Cody to get run over by a steamroller or something so we can get on with the tits n' splosions.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,386 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Julie-Benz-Dexter-1018928.aspx

Julie Benz will return for the Season 5 premiere of Dexter, TVGuide.com has confirmed.
    Benz played Rita Bennett, the wife of serial killer Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall), until the Season 4 finale, when she was murdered by the Trinity Killer (John Lithgow).
    So how and/or why will she be back? "Bringing her back in a flashback or visionary way sort of steps on our use of Harry [James Remar]," says executive producer Sara Colleton, in a reference to Dexter's dead father, who appears to his son periodically. "We want to be very, very specific about that and not get gimmicky, because it would become too much of a device."
    Showtime's statement on Benz's return hardly clarifies matters. "As Dexter grapples with the reality of the death of his wife and the realization that he is now a single father, the presence of Rita Bennett will help him deal with his newfound feelings of loss and grief — emotions that Dexter Morgan has never really felt before," it reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

Does anybody know whether they'll really air season 5 in fall now? I mean since Michael C. Hall was diagnosed with cancer and they weren't sure whether or not that would have an impact on the schedule ...

kickarykee wrote: »
    Does anybody know whether they'll really air season 5 in fall now? I mean since Michael C. Hall was diagnosed with cancer and they weren't sure whether or not that would have an impact on the schedule ...

No saw an interview with Jennifer Carpenter saying he was better and they have or will begin filming in June, I think that Michael C has to wear a wig while his hair grows back, thank God he's beaten the Cancer

Julia Stiles is in for Season 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Julia Stiles is in for Season 5
    Excellent news.

julia_stiles.jpg

Shawn Hatosy is making a pit stop in Miami before returning to Southland: Hatosy has booked a multi-episode arc on Dexter.
    A Showtime rep declined to divulge details on his character, but a recent Dexter casting call may offer a clue: The drama was seeking a thirtysomething actor to play the recurring role of a no-nonsense FBI agent. UPDATE: So much for my FBI theory. A source close to the show tells me that Hatosy is playing “a bad guy.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Shawn Hatosy is making a pit stop in Miami before returning to Southland: Hatosy has booked a multi-episode arc on Dexter.
    A Showtime rep declined to divulge details on his character, but a recent Dexter casting call may offer a clue: The drama was seeking a thirtysomething actor to play the recurring role of a no-nonsense FBI agent. UPDATE: So much for my FBI theory. A source close to the show tells me that Hatosy is playing “a bad guy.”

Bad FBI Agent? Or maybe he's bad because he suspects Dex?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Maybe hes another Dexter? Its quite reasonable to believe that there could be another killer working for a police force somewhere so one working for the FBI wouldnt be too far out there. Maybe this one doesnt limit himself to bad guys though and thats Dexters task for season 5...

Former Tudors co-star Maria Doyle Kennedy is back at Showtime, now joining the cast of another drama series, Dexter. The Irish actress-singer, who played Henry VIII’s (Jonathan Rhys Myers) first wife Catherine Aragon in the first season of The Tudors, will recur on Dexter’s upcoming 5th season as an Irish nanny Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall) hires.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,988 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Someone took a load of photos of the filming of the season 5 opening episode, but unfortunately, the quality isn't too good.

http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae346/germanfilm/

The link was on IMDB amongst the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Wow, image 5 (
    Dexter in Red
    ) is it just me or does it look like
    he's handcuffed in that pic? I guess they'd suspect the husband in any murder but still I wouldnt have thought they'd arrest him there and then!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,988 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

JohnK wrote: »
    Wow, image 5 (
    Dexter in Red
    ) is it just me or does it look like
    he's handcuffed in that pic? I guess they'd suspect the husband in any murder but still I wouldnt have thought they'd arrest him there and then!

Either that, or
    he could be standing nonchalantly, with his hands clasped behind his back

The latest addition to the "Dexter" cast is Jonny Lee Miller, who is set for six episodes in the new season, which is already in production with a fall premiere on tap.
    Showtime is being coy about Miller's character, only saying that he will play a "mysterious man who is intricately involved in the storyline with Julia Stiles' character that will also bring him into Dexter's universe."

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I just caught the ending to season 4 a couple of days back.
    Did not see that coming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Expecting a great cat and mouse game between Dex and Quinn this season ala S2 with Doakes. Dexter will be under pressure from all angles and having Quinn on his ass could be a very big problem for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I bet the writers are really sorry they wrote Doakes out in S2..
    Season 5 would have been a great battle between Dexter and Doakes..Quinn just doesn't have the screen presence for it I think..nothing to do with the actor...just the writing itself..

I read a great interview with one of the writers about the ending in Season 4 and what 5 would possibly involve.
    Let me see if I can root it out....
    but basically all through the first 4 seasons people were missing the point about Dexter being a serial killer and generally rooting for him.
    Now they've turned it all back around and basically getting people to realise that he is a serial killer, that they are repercussions for him etc..
    my bet is eventually he gets caught or they take the lameass route out and him reform for the sake of his kids..
    Pretty lameass as serial killers don't reform ever and as you can see from Trinity's he still continued the role through familyhood and you could see the impact it had on his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    but basically all through the first 4 seasons people were missing the point about Dexter being a serial killer and generally rooting for him.

Why do you think just because we were rooting for him that we were missing the point?

Is Season 5 the last series or will there be a 6th?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Another Promo

I think they are trying to say his world has been turned upside down. :p

I could see him popping up as a 'ghost' ala Harry, teasing and tormenting Dexter. Probably won't happen but it could!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s64/dexter/news/a266615/john-lithgow-to-make-dexter-return.html
    John Lithgow has hinted that he could return to Dexter in the future.

Lithgow starred in the recent fourth season as the Trinity Killer but was murdered by Dexter (Michael C. Hall) in the finale.

However, Lithgow refused to give too much away when he was asked if he will be appearing on the show again.

"You know, people who work on Dexter never answer questions like that," he told E! Online. "There's a cultural secrecy surrounding Dexter. It makes it a lot of fun. Half the time, we didn't even know what was coming."

Lithgow also revealed that he loved playing Arthur Mitchell and joked: "I did for bathtubs what Janet Leigh did for showers back in the '50s."

Lithgow recently won an Emmy in the 'Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series' category for his role in Dexter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;67461778']Why do you think just because we were rooting for him that we were missing the point?

sorry..not my words..these were the words of one of the writers..they wanted to draw people in and have them feel sorry for Dexter and to hope he gets away...

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Dexter-New-Season-1022491.aspx
    Dextermay have lost Rita and offed the Trinity Killer last season, but an onslaught of new faces will appear on the show this year.
    Julia Stiles, Johnny Lee Miller and Peter Weller are just some of the people who will be paying Miami a visit.
    Why are so many new stars coming on? And how will that affect the amount of screen time the resident Dexter cast gets?
    Executive producer Sara Colleton tells TVGuide.com that instead of having the traditional season-long adversary for Dexter (Michael C. Hall) —The Ice Truck Killer, Lila, Miguel Prado and the Trinity Killer (John Lithgow) — there might be several. "We have a really interesting set of interlocking characters who play their role in Dexter's advancement this year," she says.
    And the guest stars, also including Chris Vance, April Lee Hernandez, Shawn Hatosy and Katherine Moennig, will eventually connect.
    "I think it will be interesting for our audience to spot how they come in and play out. At a certain point in the season, they all interlock in a great way," Colleton says.
    Which among them will be villainous? No one is saying. But Michael C. Hall teases that there could be more than one shady person in the bunch: "There is certainly a desire to move away from the singular big, bad character and explore different storytelling techniques with the show... While there may be more spinning plates, from a character standpoint, I think they all serve their purpose and will dovetail into a conclusion that is serendipitous — in that it allows every seemingly disparate element to contribute to what ultimately goes down."
    Even with the bigger ensemble, Colleton assures it won't get too complicated for viewers. "It's Dexter," she says. "It's always Dexter. It's all about Dexter and always will be Dexter."

• Advertisement

ennifer Carpenter has promised that the new season of Dexter has a similar tone to the pilot.

The actress, who plays Deb, explained that future episodes will return to the original style of the show.

"It feels like the pilot, and things are running the way they were back then," she told E! Online. "It's like a kick back to the original, which is fun."

Carpenter also revealed that the guest stars in the new season will not all be linked to cases, saying: "They each serve their own purpose."

She added that a relationship between Deb and Quinn (Desmond Harrington) could develop.

"They are a good fit right now," she said. "Deb's just trying to get back to work. There's a new case that's really exciting, and some of the dynamics in the bull pen are changing. The show is a lot more procedural than it has ever been."
    tv_dexter_logo.jpg
    CBS
    Michael C Hall has revealed that Dexter will come under suspicion in the fifth season.

Speaking to E! Online, Hall explained that Quinn (Desmond Harrington) will begin to wonder whether Dexter murdered Rita (Julie Benz).

"His wife is dead, and at the scene of the crime Dexter says he did it," Harrington said.

Hall added: "Inasmuch as he has a whiff of something suspicious, [Quinn is similar to Doakes]. But I think the way he is going about his pursuit is a bit more covert and ultimately threatening."

However, Hall explained that Quinn will be reluctant to upset Dexter's sister Deb (Jennifer Carpenter).

"[Deb is Quinn's] partner and friend, and he cares about her," Hall said. "He suspects her brother of this horrific thing but never wants to broach this topic with her."

Meanwhile, executive producer Sara Colleton revealed that Dexter's urge to kill will be as strong as ever, saying: "The Dark Passenger is going to be harder than ever to keep in his place. The Dark Passenger is going to come in unexpected ways when Dexter least wants it.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s64/dexter/news/a270379/hall-dexter-will-come-under-suspicion.html

Advertisement