Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reasons for not Drink Driving

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I went for "Other" because I have a few reasons:

1. Hurting someone else/myself
    2. Hitting someone/thing under completely unavoidable circumstances, but having it blamed on the fact that I'd had a drink - no matter how much they were at fault (like if a dog fell from the sky on top of your bonnet).
    3. A stupid reason by now, but when I was 17/18 I used get stopped all the time. As it happens I was never breathalysed, but I never ever wanted to give them an excuse to stop me driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

other:

I drive 5 years now, and i allways had a rule: if you drink, forget bout driving...

I love mine cars, and i love to drive them fast. you cant drive fast while you drunk. I love mine cars too much to destroy them while i am drunk...

And ofc lossing al NCB, conviction, insurance problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

corktina wrote: »
    did you actually read the posts? :rolleyes:

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Senna wrote: »
    Might seem like a stupid question, but whats the first thing that comes into your head if confronted with a situation of drinking and driving?

For me its always the risk of being caught and the danger of hurting or killing someone is second. If i'm in pub and someone asks if i want a drink, i'll always say "couldn't, might get stopped by the garda" where as i probably should say "no it too dangerous"

Had this discussion many years ago with mates.

The question I asked myself is "Which is worse? Getting caught and losing my licence and job for X amount of months or killing someone and living with that for the rest of my life?".

I chose "killing someone"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bandit12 wrote: »
    If your prepered to drink and drive you have no place on the road. All drink drivers are scum in the eyes of myself and many.

Erm, and not drinking and driving due to not wanting to lose your licence makes you "prepared to drink and drive" HOW exactly? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What about not drink driving because that is the right thing to do?
    s10 wrote: »
    Well steve, on friday i had one pint of carlslberg with a half of a 16 inch pizza , then walked from connolly station to the Guinness brewery and had almost a full pint of Guinness, then walked all the way back from Thomas st to connelly and had another pint.
    So answer me this ?
    was i over the limit?
    how likely would i have killed someone on 3 pints over 3+hours,
    Well we don't know how big you are or what your metabolism is like. However, with standard size and metabolism, it would take 6 hours to be at zero alcohol.

Note that while the pizza slowed your absorption of alcohol, it also slowed the breakdown of alcohol, as your body burned the pizza before it burned the alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Victor wrote: »
    What about not drink driving because that is the right thing to do?

Note that I've already replied and I don't drink and drive. Do remember that the common perception of it being the "right" thing is relatively new - maybe 20 years or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I voted 'Other', I have drink driving broken down in my head into driving after drinking but when I'd still be under the limit/driving the morning after drinking when I should be under the limit and then driving when definitely over the limit/drunk.

I wouldn't drive after having a glass of wine or bottle of beer because even though I should officially be under the limit I couldn't be 100% sure that I am. In that case I wouldn't be driving because I'd be afraid I'd get caught. Same thing with driving the morning after drinking, I should be under the limit but wouldn't have any way of proving that to myself to my satisfaction so just wouldn't chance it.

Driving when I would definitely be over the limit or drunk I just wouldn't do because I could hurt myself or hurt someone else or damage my car. Also because I think it's a super sh1tty thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

If you need a reason not to drink and drive watch the vid from Australia on the Christmas drive campaign thread, enough said!!!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I've often thought about this scenario myself also, luckily I'm not a frequent drinker. Infact I've almost stopped drinking since I've started driving 2 years ago, i'll only drink on certain occasions.

First off; I would never drink & drive period. Not even 1 pint of a shandy and drive home.

Second, when I am out for a few drinks I am constantly working out how much alcohol I've taken in and trying to work out what time I need to be driving at the next day. I'll be honest and say the first reason that comes into my mind is loosing my license by being caught although the dangerous side does play an awful lot in the decision.

I will always try and wait as long as possible before I drive the next day and if I feel bad I WILL find an alternative way.

I know lads that will have a few drinks and chance their arm and drive home or lads that will be out on a serious session and be up the next morning and out driving. They don't even have to think twice. It's quite scarey really. I've often tried talking to other people about the stupid ness of doing so but it just seems to go over their head.

Luckily I've never been in a situation where I was drunk driving so I don't really know what it feels like to be in control of a car but I can only imagine the guilt of killing somebody in such a situation would be mind blowing, even to the most careless of people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement