Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reasons for not Drink Driving

Options
  • 14-12-2009 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

Might seem like a stupid question, but whats the first thing that comes into your head if confronted with a situation of drinking and driving?

For me its always the risk of being caught and the danger of hurting or killing someone is second. If i'm in pub and someone asks if i want a drink, i'll always say "couldn't, might get stopped by the garda" where as i probably should say "no it too dangerous"

Main reason for not drinking and driving 137 votes

Getting caught
    0% 0 votes
    Killing someone or yourself
    40% 56 votes
    Other
    59% 81 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Discussed this with some mates lately too and it is mainly the fear of getting caught that comes to mind first. I guess my main concerns with drink driving from a personal perspective is getting done the next morning or the next day which is where I guess my mind says "you're well able to drive" but it also says "will you pass a breathalyser?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

The fear of either killing someone or crashing the car.

Even when I'm after drinking a long neck and I know I'm not over the limit, I'm still hesitant to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I don't drink so I don't even have to think about it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Anyone who answers "getting caught" needs to have their licence taken off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

Bandit12 wrote: »

why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

thats daft...the breath test is a deterent measure so OF COURSE the fear of getting caught will be high in the list and probably number one with most people

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I would also fear getting caught (and possibly losing my licence) much more than killing someone. But not because I'm a selfish bastard but because, like most drivers, I suffer from the delusion that I'm basically a safe driver and that "it will never happen to me".

In the end, it doesn't matter why you're not drinking and driving as long as you just don't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Getting caught is the main concern - I need my licence for my job. Then again, there's times that I wouldn't drive due to feeling a bit ropey after a pint when I'd be under the limit just because I don't feel safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

We prosecute thought crimes now?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Personally im curious to hear what the people who chose "Other" would specify as their reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Because I don't need to, the Netherlands has great public transport :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I don't drink and drive purely because I cannot afford to lose my license because I drive for a living.

After that its because my father drank and drive and got in a lot of trouble over his years.

Third because I might kill somebody which should be the most important but as I specifically organise my nights out so that my car is not necessary then it makes that null and void because I wouldn't consider it because of point 1 - I need my license for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Getting caught.

The description Drink Driving is pretty vague. Some people might think plastered drunk while others like myself might be thinking a large glass of wine or a tall beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I'm stunned that on a motoring forum 42% (so far) are citing "Getting caught" as the reason for not drinking and driving. Can deduce then that 42% of the contributers here are idiots?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Being honest, i would say it's getting caught that would be my primary concern, closely followed by the chance of injuring myself or others.

Getting caught would be my main concern also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I'd be afraid in order:

Crashing my car and causing damage to someone else
    Getting caught and losing my license
    Crashing my car and causing damage to it
    Doing something stupid which doesnt envolve the above (eating a kebab and getting it everywhere, smoking and dropping a lit cigarette, leaving the keys in the igition for thieves to steal etc....)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

Well steve, on friday i had one pint of carlslberg with a half of a 16 inch pizza , then walked from connolly station to the Guinness brewery and had almost a full pint of Guinness, then walked all the way back from Thomas st to connelly and had another pint.
    So answer me this ?
    was i over the limit?
    how likely would i have killed someone on 3 pints over 3+hours,

some people can handle their drink, and are responsible knowing their limitations.
    the laws and rules are put in place for the idiots who cannot.
    unfortunately considering the lower class seems to be having all the kids these days the rules are only going to get worse.
    and its a pity that people my age who bought houses on the outskirts of dublin are unable to have a few,.

PS: the taxi cost me 40 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Recently I went to a country with no Drink drive laws..

All the cars were crap the roads even worse.. The level of Driving was terrable... Yet every night we went out drink driving ( me as a passanger). It was kinda of a fantisy land. Everyone drove to the pub / night club and drove home.. Hell we did it. Once we were stoped by the cops and was given a ticket, For the driver not wearing his seat belt.......

I like our drink driving laws here, I dont drink drive never will in Ireland my licence is worth too much to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Many years ago I drank and drive until I was driving so dangerously it got scary. The day after my last time and after sobering up I was shocked when I remembered how I drove on a very narrow road.

I decided there and then to never drink and drive again and count myself very lucky I did not hurt anyone in my years of driving like an idiot just because I thought having fun requires alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭jacool

s10 wrote: »
    Well steve, on friday i had one pint of carlslberg with a half of a 16 inch pizza , then walked from connolly station to the Guinness brewery and had almost a full pint of Guinness, then walked all the way back from Thomas st to connelly and had another pint.
    So answer me this ?
    was i over the limit?
    how likely would i have killed someone on 3 pints over 3+hours,

some people can handle their drink, and are responsible knowing their limitations.
    the laws and rules are put in place for the idiots who cannot.
    unfortunately considering the lower class seems to be having all the kids these days the rules are only going to get worse.
    and its a pity that people my age who bought houses on the outskirts of dublin are unable to have a few,.

PS: the taxi cost me 40 euro.
    Some people think they can handle their drink. How many people do you think that have wrecked other lives thought that they were OK? I used to work in a petrol station beside a pub and was s**t-scared seeing people trying to clamber into their cars before driving home. I was on a bicycle then and always sprinting to get home before being killed.
    I left my car in town one night and got clamped, but even though I eff-ed the guy out of it, at least I knew that I wasn't going to kill anyone, not even him ! The taxi costing 40 euro is nothing compared to a clear conscience.
    It also amazes me how come we're all such great drivers yet, I am surrounded by spanners every time I go on the road. These people obviously haven't access to the internet ! Or maybe can't type !
    Finally, the main problem here is pathetic public transport. I live in the sticks and might even book a hotel this Christmas for the bash and just catch a bus home the next morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

For me it would be that I would kill some innocent chap or chapette.

Killing myself wouldn't come to mind as that's pure selfishness when you have had a load of alcohol and your worry is your own life. If I maimed myself I could do an advert on the radio telling people what a complete selfish idiot I was, that's about the only worth my life would be afterwards to the country or the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

For me, being caught is the first thing that pops into my head. But what you have to bear in mind with everyone else that has said the same, is that probably all of us would never dream of driving home with more than 2 or 3 drinks, let alone pissed.

I live just short of a mile from one of my jobs and if I knew i wouldn't be stopped I would probably drive home after two pints tops, the roads are absolutely empty when I leave work at 12am+. But because of the harsh laws (and rightly so), I would never even have a glass of beer before driving. Its either drinking like a fish, or cokes all they way with me, I love driving, I love my car and I love the freedom and its just not worth it.

I'm stunned that on a motoring forum 42% (so far) are citing "Getting caught" as the reason for not drinking and driving. Can deduce then that 42% of the contributers here are idiots?

i dont follow your logic.... i would never drink to such an excess that it would be likely that Id kill someone or even have my driving impaired...its the fear of having JUST over the limit and losing my license that stops me from drink driving... does that make me and the rest of the 42% idiots? I think not....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Viejo Zorro

Reason for not drink driving - Irish roads look as if they have been designed by an angry kid squirting a ketchup bottle on a sheet of glass and are therefore a challenge while sober, but nothing short of a death trap when impaired by drink, drugs or exhaustion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Anyone else think the kids are drug driving alot more??? I know at least 2 people that I know who do it alot.. and that scares me..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think that, if there was no law against it, lots and lots of people would drive after drinking.

It's still prevalent in the US, (I was at parties there where everyone got smashed and then drove home) in NI, (I've seen lots of people driving home after drinking) and here (rural pub syndrome).

Done it myself when I was young and stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Shires wrote: »
    We prosecute thought crimes now?
    If your prepered to drink and drive you have no place on the road. All drink drivers are scum in the eyes of myself and many.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Magnus wrote: »
    I think that, if there was no law against it, lots and lots of people would drive after drinking.

Definitely, personally i wouldn't see the attraction.

• Advertisement

If your prepered to drink and drive you have no place on the road. All drink drivers are scum in the eyes of myself and many.

did you actually read the posts? :rolleyes:

Advertisement