Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Keeping kids away from my car

Options
  • 13-12-2009 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I tend to stay in my Mum's every weekend and have to park my car on the road outside her house. Over the last months I have repeatedly caught the kids from the street messing with my car. It ranges from drawing in the condensation/dirt to actually sitting on the roof of my car. I have let roar at them numerous times and spoke to their parents but nothing has changed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I can keep the kids away from the car? I'm worried they'll end up damaging it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I find that automatic weapons usually do the trick. If you can't get your hands on some then there's feck all you can do. It's parked on a public road, you've spoken to their parents, what more can you do except park it somewhere else?

Is the car a Daewoo Lanos or Bugatti Veyron?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Try parking it somewhere else? If anything telling them off will just make it worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

ergonomics wrote: »
    Hi all,

I tend to stay in my Mum's every weekend and have to park my car on the road outside her house. Over the last months I have repeatedly caught the kids from the street messing with my car. It ranges from drawing in the condensation/dirt to actually sitting on the roof of my car. I have let roar at them numerous times and spoke to their parents but nothing has changed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I can keep the kids away from the car? I'm worried they'll end up damaging it.

Is it the only car on the street, or is there something particular that attracts them to your car?

Does it look something like this...

candy_car.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Cover it in grease, they won't be too keen on getting their tracksuits greasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Hi all,

I would tell you to clean it, but I know you don't have time...get your mum to come to you at weekends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I would tell them in a nice way to get off your car otherwise they will just purposely pick your car for the buzz or whatever..... Just park it somewhere else and walk for 5 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I know a fella who can help you with that.....

west.jpg

They'll dissapear fairly lively ( excuse the pun :D ) with this fella around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

+1 on the grease. will looks like sh1t but there wont be anyone near the car

or you could try electrifiying the outside of the car. we did it when installing a crappy amplifier in my mates car. cant be that hard.

the results will be purely shocking!"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

Keep an eye out for them and then see where they go home to and then sit on their parents car and believe me it'll stop pretty fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Martron wrote: »
    or you could try electrifiying the outside of the car. we did it when installing a crappy amplifier in my mates car. cant be that hard.

the results will be purely shocking!"!!

Would love to do that, although the little bastards would probably be drawn to it then daring each other to touch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Get one of those high-pitched noisemakers only kids can hear and hook it up to your remote keyfob, then when you see them have it on maximum ;)

And if they squeal to their parents, they won't hear it so they'll get a kick up the arse for telling porkies too! :D

nope. stick an inverter on it and you will have a couple 100 volts on it!!! i would dare them to touch it too!!!

Ah if only it was legal....

OP what car have you??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Stop putting petrol in it. Eventually it will become so hungry that it will eat the kids to survive.

evil_car.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This is what I saw when I played back a recording taken from the cab of my van :D As long as they don't damage anything I don't really care, I can't exactly cast the first stone myself:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the "ride of teror" is the only answer...Im guessing you'd only need to do it once....

(im joking...):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

The-Game wrote: »
    OP what car have you??

It's only a little Fiesta but I don't care if it's a heap of junk or a Bugatti Veyron; it's MY car and I don't want MY car getting damaged.

There are loads of other cars on the road and I don't know why they always come to mine. Well no, they also mess with cars parked near mine but only outside my Mum's and her neighbour's house. I figure it's furthest away from their parents.

For the last two weeks or so I have been ignoring them and hoping they would get bored but no joy. I don't really want to park elsewhere. Mum doesn't exactly live in a nice estate so I don't want to risk it getting damaged more somewhere else. I feel safer when I can see it so I guess I'll just have to resign myself to them being at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Thin film of grease on the bonnet and roof. Perhaps start with Vaseline - it will be practically invisible but can be applied quickly and easily after you park with a cloth or sponge (and removed easily).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

buy a washing machine, or learn how to use your own, then you won't have to spend every weekend at your mothers house. Other than that keep hassling their parents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Maybe if you told their parents that if they hurt themselves, you are not responsible as you deem it to be malious, and are not paying out.

Maybe the thoughts of the little "darlings" hurting themselves and not getting compo may encourage the parents to act responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

3DataModem wrote: »
    Thin film of grease on the bonnet and roof. Perhaps start with Vaseline - it will be practically invisible but can be applied quickly and easily after you park with a cloth or sponge (and removed easily).

Thats no good, Thick waterproof grease is the stuff Preferably lithium based (stinks).
    Grease gun fine nozzle run around all the shutlines bobs yer aunties live in lover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Onkle wrote: »
    buy a washing machine, or learn how to use your own, then you won't have to spend every weekend at your mothers house.

exactly what I was going to suggest. You are a big boy now, you own a car so time to cut off those apron strings.

As already suggested, don't bother giving out to the kids, they will love that and it will only make it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Tie all of them except one up and force them to face your car. Then take the remaining one and staple him lying downwards on the ground, and drive slowly over his head. When the rest are forced to watch their mates skull crunch and split open, they'll remember that next time and will probably not bother climbing on your car again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Bucket of freezing cold water over their heads will put them off either that or tell the old bird you ain't coming home any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

exactly what I was going to suggest. You are a big boygirl now, you own a car so time to cut off those apron strings.

As already suggested, don't bother giving out to the kids, they will love that and it will only make it worse.

I'd also be fairly sure she knows how to use a washing machine. There's more than one reason to go home for the weekend.

It's only a little Fiesta but I don't care if it's a heap of junk or a Bugatti Veyron; it's MY car and I don't want MY car getting damaged.

I completely agree, i was just asking out of curiosity if there was something unique or different that attracts them to your car.
    I don't really want to park elsewhere. Mum doesn't exactly live in a nice estate so I don't want to risk it getting damaged more somewhere else. I feel safer when I can see it so I guess I'll just have to resign myself to them being at it.

I would be the same, prefer being able to see the car. Are they causing any damage? Leaving dents? Marks? Breaking things off??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

There are loads of other cars on the road and I don't know why they always come to mine. Well no, they also mess with cars parked near mine but only outside my Mum's and her neighbour's house. I figure it's furthest away from their parents.

For the last two weeks or so I have been ignoring them and hoping they would get bored but no joy. I don't really want to park elsewhere. Mum doesn't exactly live in a nice estate so I don't want to risk it getting damaged more somewhere else. I feel safer when I can see it so I guess I'll just have to resign myself to them being at it.

Their doing it because they keep getting a reaction out of you.

Sell the car and use public transport if it bothers you that much, seriously if you park it anywhere theres a risk someone might

- Kick off a wingmirror
    - Take a dump on the roof
    - Key it

and so on,

Its costing you worry at the moment, so the fix here is to stop worry about it, if something happens to it then it happens, theres nothing you can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭KC JONES

Put a sign in nthe window that says. warning body/roof treated with substance corrosive to skin or such like.
    Once in a chipper i saw a girl leaning on my car and went out and said "be careful I was cleaning it today with something that will ruin your clothes, pretended to look at her jacket and ask if it was OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ah, i miss those days when you could give a slap to a kid and not to go to jail for it...

If they would really do crap to mine car, i would get them cought on camera, then go to solister, and make the parrents to repaint car for all" scratches" kids done to it...

And there is no diffeence what car it is. mine car is not expencive, but if i would find some little sh*ts jumping on it i would go bananas!

Advertisement