Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Izzard in the O2

Options
  • 13-12-2009 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭

Ahoy hoy,

I'm bringing my mother to see him tomorrow, I've never been to the O2, does anyone know how long it lasts?

I'm really looking forward to it, I've never seen him live and I think he's really funny so fingers crossed it's a good night :)
    Anyone else heading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

im working at it on tuesday (wonder if he needs a support act :p) running times differ with every gig, but at the very very latest itll be over at 11pm (if i was to hazard a guess id say half 10 though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Cheers!! was thinking if it started at 8 it'd be over round 10 or half. Does he have a support act?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

havent a clue tbh (im tryin to get that spot on tuesday :p) i doubt it, id say he will be on at 8, take an intermission and finish at about half 10 alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'm going! :D

Been waiting since March when I got the tickets. I haven't been to a comedy gig where there were support acts before. I doubt there will be this time so going to head in for 8.
    I really hope I am not stuck behind a stage obstructor. Been to the o2 twice now where this has happened :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Barney Magoo

Saw him in Belfast on Saturday night. He came on at about 8.15, ran for about an hour and then had a 20 minute intermission. Then came back and ran for a bit over an hour. Well worth the wait, I bought tickets back in March too. Belfast Odyssey Arena is much bigger than O2 though, so you should get a better view of the guy himself rather than have to look at the TV screens all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Barney Magoo

......No support act btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Wasnt impressed by it at all. Seemed all over the place. Didn't stick around for encore.

Alot of forced laughter all around & loads of people leaving early.

What everyone else think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

I agree completely thecommander.
    We didn't stick around for the encore either.
    Very disappointing show in my opinion.

Where we were sitting it was very hit or miss....there were a few people who laughed at every single thing he said and were completely over the top (and possibly on drugs!), and then there were people who laughed no more than 5 times during the whole show, and some left early.
    There were no big laugh-out-loud-cheek-hurts-from-laughing-so-much moments at all.

Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭mikekerry

ya i saw him in belfast saturday,
    was disappointed, didn't find it funny at all.
    thought it was long and dragged out also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

mikekerry wrote: »
    ya i saw him in belfast saturday,
    was disappointed, didn't find it funny at all.
    thought it was long and dragged out also.

Yeah, he completely dragged out some jokes...and then the punchline wasn't that great at the end of it.

When he said "badgers can't be choosers", that got the biggest audience reaction of the whole night! :rolleyes:

Me, and the people I went with, were all disappointed...and actually sat there wondering if we were missing something, as we weren't "getting" it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,539 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Seem to be going against the trend here but I thought he was v good, had a few down moments (particulary at the start of the second half) but with his adlibbby (is that even a word?) style thats always likely

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Going tonight. Hopefully it's not as bad as it's been suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Wow, that was really unfunny last night. Really diluted and almost preachy at times. Really tried to hard to enjoy and give him a chance but it really left me cold. Twitter feature was the best thing about it which is saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I thought he was a bit off form on monday night.
    Just goes to show we're all human.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

first time seeing him live and wouldnt have been a massive fan anyway but i wanted it to be really good but unfortunateily i was bored during the show and ended up checking my watch waiting for the end.
    we left early as well
    as said above a girl sitting in front of me laughed at everything even just his starting chat " hello dublin etc".
    i know comedy is all about your own personal taste but i found this over the top , if he had read the phone book she would have been pissing herself

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

He appeared to be a bit on the sniffly side; maybe this was getting to him. Chortle moments few and far between, some good stuff in there (itunes agreements, Moses and the burning bush) but he was visibly struggling at times and really had to haul back his train of thought at least twice. As noted above, whole stretches were quite boring and a tad preachy. His heart really wasn't in it.

What time was he on stage at, and what time did he finish at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

roughly 8:10 to 10:30 with a 20 min break

I love Eddie Izzard, I really do, and I'd never seen him live so I was very excited.
    Overall the night was fun, but I will admit to him seeming a little off, he got lost in quite a few jokes and had to sorta go 'oh well this isn't how it was supposed to go'... 'hmm'...'lets get a coffee'.. type thing which is funny the first time.
    But maybe he was under the weather as he did have a cold.

I do find him quite witty and I love how he links things throughout, I enjoyed the evening as did my mother and I think it was worth going to. But I can understand some people being a little disappointed.

He came on stage maybe 8.15 or so I thought, 20min break at 9.10 which lasted half an hour, then ran til about 10.35 ish.

No warm up/support act btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Sorry - star pants answered both my questions in a simu-post :D

• Advertisement

Thinking back now, I have to say it wasn't fantastic. Glad I got to see him. Loved the set. I was ridiculously uncomfortable in the 2nd half.
    I agree about him talking his jokes into a wall, a bit too much. It's funny sometimes and part of his appeal but not for every 2nd joke. Liked that Jam, Bees & Mrs Bearcrumble got mentions though :D

Oh, and had I an internet phone, I would have replied to the 'any boardsies' bit on the twitter screen :pac:

Lol I saw that twitter too! I don't have twitter so couldn't have done anything :)
    Yeah some of the jokes were brill and I am glad to have seen him live. Would have killed for some 'jam trousers' or 'thats jeff vader that is' :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I wasn't there, will have to keep an eye out for him. Sounds like a fairly mixed experience.
    star-pants wrote: »
    I am glad to have seen him live. Would have killed for some 'jam trousers' or 'thats jeff vader that is' :D

:D

Bread for my bread gun!!

Hello, we're murderers.
    Uh Twix, please!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Just back, much more amusing than I had been expecting, laughed out loud for most of it. He coughed a bit during it and when he did it definitely dampened the mood, I think cos he thrives on building an imaginary world and the cough broke that bubble. But overall, very funny and glad I ventured out on a wet December evening...

c

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

I thought it was a class gig on Monday night. Yeah, it had it's up and downs - but all comedy shows do. Way more ups than downs though.

Complaining about him coughing is ridiculous IMO.

Now, I'm off to see if I can get me a jazz chicken for Christmas ....

Went last night and thought it was great. Real random brilliance. Although there did seem to be a few people sitting around us that hadn't a clue what was happening, in particular a girl sitting behind me that hadn't a clue.
    "What's he talking about?"
    "It's the Dinosaur from earlier"
    "Oh" "What's he talking about now?"
    "It's the Shark from earlier"
    "Oh"
    etc., etc.

Have to credit aul Harry on the new Point, it really is a fantastic venue. I've almost forgiven him after my fall there on a wet floor at the Kings of Leon this time last year. Still bloody hurts!!

But there were no queues for beer or food, and access to and from the venue via the LUAS was painless and well organised. Staff were friendly and courteous.
    Kudos. It's nice when we get things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

been a fan of Eddie since I frist saw him in London 15 years ago, man im getting old.

Last night was a top performance, up there with any of his best, by the end he had at least 8 imaginery characters on stage with him, each reacting to the story of the moment. Excellent stuff, brilliantly choreographed, well delivered, much enjoyed.

As for the venue, yeah its nice now but all that branding is a bit garish, suppose its a small price to pay for hassle free big gig experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Was there on Monday. My friends thought he was back to his brilliant best but I thought there were only flashes of it (software agreements and one or two other bits were hilarious). Still a good show though and very entertaining. Little too much "uhming", "ahing" and "do de dooing", which is basically filler and when you're paying that much you don't want that; I know it's his style but he indulged in it a bit too much. Still a good gig though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I was there Monday and thought it was very good. I would consider myself a fan but I hadn't seen him in the flesh before. He was obviously struggling in places with the cold/throat but some of it was hilarious (I particularly liked the whole pidgin Latin exchange about Hannibal and the elephants).

Sounds like Tuesday was better, but the man is human after.

Advertisement