Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GT 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Possibly because i didn't see that. TBH i look at it as Sony trying to get people involved in that whole GT academy thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

As a life long simracer this GT5 academy ofering is very good but forza 3 for me is a more realistic in the physics department.
    No offence to anyone playing forza 3 or GT5 on a pad but you simply cannot make a fair assesment of the physics unless you have a wheel and pedal setup and a proper one at that,logitech or fanatec for example.
    Both are fine titles and genuine simulations in the true sence of the word for the first time on consoles but neither title comes anywhere near to iracing - www.iracing.com in my opinion but both are very very good indeed.
    Seriously folks both pieces of software deserve to be experienced with a wheel and with all aids turned off for the full experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Dcully wrote: »
    As a life long simracer this GT5 academy ofering is very good but forza 3 for me is a more realistic in the physics department.
    No offence to anyone playing forza 3 or GT5 on a pad but you simply cannot make a fair assesment of the physics unless you have a wheel and pedal setup and a proper one at that,logitech or fanatec for example.
    Both are fine titles and genuine simulations in the true sence of the word for the first time on consoles but neither title comes anywhere near to iracing - www.iracing.com in my opinion but both are very very good indeed.
    Seriously folks both pieces of software deserve to be experienced with a wheel and with all aids turned off for the full experience.

have to disagree. forza's collisions are better but imo crashing has nothing to do with driving. theres no body roll or any weight transfer at all really in forza and the cars just seem to float around the track. it feels a lot better than forza 2 but after playing GT theres a massive difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Don't even bother, when it comes to difficulity on a PS3 forum hard=realistic and forza=bad.

amacachi wrote: »
    Don't even bother, when it comes to difficulity on a PS3 forum hard=realistic and forza=bad.

its not just this forum. on forzamotorsport.net theres endless threads with people complaining about the direction the game is gone and if you look on ign.com the average user rating is 5.7 compared to the 9's and 10's it got off all the actual clueless reviewers on every site. forza isn't a bad game, just over rated and incorrectly labled as the 360's GT but because its an exclusive people will blindly defend it much like halo or killzone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

its not just this forum. on forzamotorsport.net theres endless threads with people complaining about the direction the game is gone and if you look on ign.com the average user rating is 5.7 compared to the 9's and 10's it got off all the actual clueless reviewers on every site. forza isn't a bad game, just over rated and incorrectly labled as the 360's GT but because its an exclusive people will blindly defend it much like halo or killzone.

User ratings mean nothing. Fanboys just messing with the votes.

I'm not gonna pass judgement till I play the retail copy but my preferance is with Forza 3 at the moment. I play with a controller and the allowance's made by Turn 10 for users who play with a joypad was great.

When reviews hit from big sim racer nuts with €1000+ set-ups and they decide which is the more realistic sim I would take their opinion over mine as I'm just playing with a controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

I don't think GT should be classed as a sim, it doesn't have a patch on the PC sims like LFS and iRacing, and it has to cater for all ranges of people. While the likes of iRacing only appeal to hardcore sim racers.

It only wins in the graphics department (and content), but if you are in it for the driving, that isn't all that relative. It is impossible to catch a slide without breaking your wrists. It is also a bit frustrating as it doesn't lock the wheel to a certain degrees of rotation.

I'm 22nd currently on the rankings (Niall09), but I should be able to improve my overall time by about .7-1 second in a few more laps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

its not just this forum. on forzamotorsport.net theres endless threads with people complaining about the direction the game is gone and if you look on ign.com the average user rating is 5.7 compared to the 9's and 10's it got off all the actual clueless reviewers on every site.

I wouldnt call these guys clueless

Id suggest the majority of the moaners on the forza website are the clueless ones who simply dislike the fact forza 3 has leaned more towards a true simulation compared to forza 2 which imo is not.
    In fairness GT5 is not released yet so its unfair to pass judgement.
    theres no body roll or any weight transfer at all really in forza and the cars just seem to float around the track

I find this to be a bizzare opinion and totally untrue.
    Forza 3 is not perfect but its the closest any console title has come to the numerous offerings on pc.

Id suggest the majority of the moaners on the forza website are the clueless ones who simply dislike the fact forza 3 has leaned more towards a true simulation compared to forza 2 which imo is not.
    In fairness GT5 is not released yet so its unfair to pass judgement.

I find this to be a bizzare opinion and totally untrue.
    Forza 3 is not perfect but its the closest any console title has come to the numerous offerings on pc.

the majority of the "moaners" dislike the fact that just like in forza 2 you only have to add power to your car and not really worry about anything else which is complete rubbish.

forza 3 is much worse than 2 for this because their idea of making the game more realistic was giving all cars twice as much grip and now that nearly all cars can be made AWD its just a joke. irl would a stripped out road car on slicks with a small power increase be faster than a much heavier car on normal road tyres with a standard gearbox etc. but more power? on pretty much every track power is the only way to go and your wasting time trying to improve the handling with tyres or weight reduction.

the "moaners" also dislike the terrible online play and the fact that the game is buggy beyond belief but that has nothing to do with being a sim or not.

as for weight transfer, one example would be in GT if you brake and turn in too hard into a corner the back end will come round. in forza i pretty much always brake hard into corners because it just doesn't take into acount that the rear of the car should have less grip. forza requires no thought whatsoever to play, you just slam on the brakes, turn in hard, and mash the throttle even with assists off. if thats the closest thing to these super PC sims i think i'll stick to consoles for a while.
    User ratings mean nothing. Fanboys just messing with the votes.

its no different to what happened with MW2 on the PC and the user reviews that got. the real fans of the game were pissed off and lied to so they gave their honest opinion on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I hope the cockpit experience is improved in the final game. Sim stuff aside that was the great thing about Shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭pulpfictionost

My Record
    1'37.533
    1'50.170
    3'27.703

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Nice, I find it so damn hard, not so sure what I'm doing wrong but atm my time is something like 1:57 on the normal car and I can't beat that at all, and I got that on one of my 1st tries.

I'm using manual gears, I tend to turn off the race line, I hate race lines in racing games these days, they take away from it. But I did use it to learn the track at 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

My Record
    1'37.533
    1'50.170
    3'27.703

Mine are

1'38.147
    1'50.881

You have some great times there i see your ranked 13th. Great job!!

I do well in the first part of the lap but im struggling with the last section of the circuit. It seems im losing all my time there. oh well! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭_tony_

@macpac & pulpfictionost:

Congrats both on them times..I just got 1'54 in the normal car and am chuffed with it (and improving...) :)

Do yous drive with a DGFT wheel? Does it let you change traction control/other settings during the race? I see in the online rankings many of the top players have the wheel...and they also have traction control turned off/low but in the options menu it's not possible to change it for the normal car.

My Records so far! with the anologs!
    PR1VATEJ0KER 1'37.217
    1'49.743
    3'26.960
    Im buying the driving force gt steering wheel tonight, so that should be cool

_tony_ wrote: »
    @macpac & pulpfictionost:

Congrats both on them times..I just got 1'54 in the normal car and am chuffed with it (and improving...) :)

Do yous drive with a DGFT wheel? Does it let you change traction control/other settings during the race? I see in the online rankings many of the top players have the wheel...and they also have traction control turned off/low but in the options menu it's not possible to change it for the normal car.

Hey dude, iv been using the controllers until now, but i think ive gone as fast as i can go with them, they lack some accuracy exiting corners not being able to fully control the throttle.

Im buying the wheel tonight to see if it is better!

Also i use chase cam and with left anolog stick and x and square for acc/brake. On the 3rd &2nd last slow bends i use the right anolog there as accurate throttle and a good line throught there saves buckets of time

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FatBeard

macpac26 wrote: »
    Mine are

1'38.147
    1'50.881

You have some great times there i see your ranked 13th. Great job!!

I do well in the first part of the lap but im struggling with the last section of the circuit. It seems im losing all my time there. oh well! :D

Tuned: 1'38.487
    Normal: 1'51.675

Finding the same. Really need to be able to slowly engage the throttle when coming out of the corners. I could probably get another half second off my tuned time with ordinary controllers and a lucky lap, but would need the proper steering wheel setup to progress much further. Haven't touched my normal time for a while so should be able to get a bit of improvement there. Good times macpac.

Hey dude, iv been using the controllers until now, but i think ive gone as fast as i can go with them, they lack some accuracy exiting corners not being able to fully control the throttle.

Im buying the wheel tonight to see if it is better!

Also i use chase cam and with left anolog stick and x and square for acc/brake. On the 3rd &2nd last slow bends i use the right anolog there as accurate throttle and a good line throught there saves buckets of time

can you turn traction control off with the wheel on the normal car? all the wheel users on the leaderboards seem to have it off.

iv found the tuned car hardest to improve in. so far i have 1.37.631 & 1.49.632.

can you turn traction control off with the wheel on the normal car? all the wheel users on the leaderboards seem to have it off.

iv found the tuned car hardest to improve in. so far i have 1.37.631 & 1.49.632.

Traction control is always off in the normal car thats why its greyed out, it doesnt matter if you have the wheel or not, it still says 7.

I got the Driving Force GT today, and it ****ing rocks! Some dude sold it to me brand new for €50!!!! unwanted gift.
    The accuracy of the steering and the ability to make very minor steering/acc/brake adjustments makes it bliss, my laps are so smooooth now!

Im still getting used to it though, my best laps with the wheel after 2 hours of having it are 1:39.021 and 1:51.067.

Are you 'JohntheGreatest'?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

Traction control is always off in the normal car thats why its greyed out, it doesnt matter if you have the wheel or not, it still says 7.

I got the Driving Force GT today, and it ****ing rocks! Some dude sold it to me brand new for €50!!!! unwanted gift.
    The accuracy of the steering and the ability to make very minor steering/acc/brake adjustments makes it bliss, my laps are so smooooth now!

Im still getting used to it though, my best laps with the wheel after 2 hours of having it are 1:39.021 and 1:51.067.

Great isnt it? It transforms Gran Turismo, you got a bargain there mate, i paid full retail price for mine. Ive improved my time in the tuned to a 1:37.7odd , my psn is paulmc. Im delighted with my time, im not overly bothered that im not in the top 20, just enjoying the challenge.

I started off in the late 1min 50s with the wheel, with practise you can rapidly improve your times, it takes a while to adjust from the pad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FatBeard

I'm down to 1'37.968 tuned. Thats a fantastic time pulpfictionost. Tell me do you find the manual gears a benefit? Also, anyone know the best (cheapest) place to pick up a steering wheel.

yeah my psn is johnthegreatest. €50 is some bargain, id love to get a wheel but i dont have the space and i cant imagine having it on your lap is too easy.
    Tell me do you find the manual gears a benefit?

manual gears would easily be worth a second once your used to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

There are some new details about the game floating around the intertubes, apparently from PlayStation: The Official Magazine. The magazine lists:

- Deformation for every car in the game although race cars will see even more damage.
    - First screens of GT5's night racing
    - 1,000+ vehicles, all with modeled interiors
    - Up to 16 players online
    - Indy cars and tracks will be included
    - Head tracking is reconfirmed and it's for use during racing
    - Multi display is back (using 3 PS3's for a wider view)
    - HD uploads to YouTube
    - Weather
    - Night racing for all tracks

All sounds pretty good to me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

thank god Car Damage is finally being introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Just give me a confirmed release date and when I play it I will decide if the wait has been worth it.

All these features mean nothing until they al make it inot the final games and work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

gavredking wrote: »
    All these features mean nothing until they al make it inot the final games and work properly.
    Seeing as how this information comes from an Sony affiliated magazine, I think it's fairly safe to consider these features confirmed to be in the game. Here's a link with pictures of the magazine feature. The night driving pics look great, pity they're kind of small.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

GothPunk wrote: »
    Seeing as how this information comes from an Sony affiliated magazine, I think it's fairly safe to consider these features confirmed to be in the game. Here's a link with pictures of the magazine feature. The night driving pics look great, pity they're kind of small.

Oh I know about the web page, I usually have a browse there and see if there is any update on the game. They are normally very good over there for posting good reliable information. My only concern is if the day/night racing does effect the endurance races and the cycle it goes through, I know its a small thing but it hasnt been confirmed would be nice to see.

As Ive said, they only thing I really want know is a release date and then all the speculation can be sorted out.

All the GT fanboys want a world wide realease date some time in March, I dont see that happening TBH, maybe a Japanese release date will be availabel in March but i seriously doubt it will be a world wide one.

Maybe an EU release on April/May is more realistic and an early June for the US.

Anyway, come on PD give me a release date:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Its a shame car handling isnt on that list, I dont care how many 24hr races the creater of the game has completed the cars in the demo dont handle right. The way the car oversteers is shocking, the car doesnt break traction it just goes and then when it snaps the car rapidly picks up speed. That doesnt happen in real life.

I recall reading somewhere that someone who owns the same car said the similarities in handling is "uncanny". It was a German chap who regularly goes to track days on the nurburgring...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Nuremburgring...

An odd place to drive around. Unless it was a RALLY! Bahaha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

amacachi wrote: »
    An odd place to drive around. Unless it was a RALLY! Bahaha.

Woopsie. Fixed :p

Advertisement