Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad smell around Naas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

EPA wins injunction over landfill

I wonder will this force the company to address the problem, or does it just mean months/years of legal action to come, with the stink festering on.

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Processing-work-is-still-allowed.6099569.jp
    I think this answers your question :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Planning application submitted on 8 Feb for biotreatment plant at Kerdiffstown for animal carcasses and food waste. It seems to be across the road from teh A1/Nephin site.

Only 7 days for submissions - does this mean objections?

Planning application number 10107
    Planning enquiry address for Kildare County Council is;

http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/planningenquirysystem/mainframes.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

How do you go about objecting to this?
    This is going to double the stink that already exists...
    Is the new application from the same company, Nephin?

ncit9933 wrote: »
    How do you go about objecting to this?

€20 plus a letter - 2 links here;
    http://www.planningsupport.ie/howtoobject.htm
    http://livingroomblog.ie/2009/07/07/dos-donts-of-writing-a-planning-objection/
    ncit9933 wrote: »
    This is going to double the stink that already exists...Is the new application from the same company, Nephin?

According to the Company Registration Office and KCC planning search, M & M Coldstores Ltd have an address at UNIT 21, NEWBRIDGE INDUSTRIAL ESTATE - the same address as Loadwise Transport Ltd.

Anyone got anymore info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 PumpkinPie

I live in the Monread area and am going to post the petition tomorrow, 10 Mar. If anybody is interested in getting a soft copy petition, i can email it to him/her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

Planning application submitted on 8 Feb for biotreatment plant at Kerdiffstown for animal carcasses and food waste. It seems to be across the road from teh A1/Nephin site.

Only 7 days for submissions - does this mean objections?

http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/planningenquirysystem/mainframes.aspx

At this stage everyone can submit 'Observations'. Essentially there will be the same as objections - only people can support the development as well as object to it.

Once the closing date has come - after a period of time and other activity - a decision is arrived at. One can only object to the decision if you had originally objected or are materially affected by the development (ie adjacent landowner or something like that)

Hope this makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

Its been around so long now that I'm well used to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

kildare9 wrote: »
    Its been around so long know that I'm well used to it :)

Maybe you can get used to it I couldn't. Even if everyone does get used to it ... we dont even know about what kind of health hazards there are.

I dont imagine breathing in contaminated air is healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lostinNaas

In principle, an anaerobic digestion facility is not a bad thing, if it is done properly.
    The problem is that it won't done properly. Permission will be granted, with all sorts of stringent conditions. The operator will then proceed to cut corners, ignore the conditions, and KCC will not enforce them. The EPA also seems to lack the power (or will) to enforce it's own licencing conditions. So we'll have truck loads of rotting animal carcasses passing within metres of homes on the Monread Road, and that's why I'll be objecting to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 benthebeetle

I will be objecting to this. Some research on the subject:

http://www.energyjustice.net/digesters/

See Page 88 of the Naas Town Council Development Plan 2005-2011 in relation to the proposed area in Question for the planning permission.

http://www.kildare.ie/NaasTownCouncil/Publications/NaasTownCouncilDevelopmentPlan2005-2011/LinkToDocument,16232,en.pdf

and

http://www.kildare.ie/NaasTownCouncil/Publications/NaasTownCouncilDevelopmentPlan2005-2011/LinkToDocument,16338,en.pdf

this link is to the map of the Naas Town Council Development Plan 2005-2011 which clearly indicates that the area in question is only for Industrial and warehousing and specifically not for incinerators/thermal treatment plants which are not acceptable in this zone.

There is a very strong case for strenous odjection to this planning application. Also worth referring to the whole issue in regard to the dump at Kerdiffstown and the recent High Court ruling / public campaign against it and EPA bringing them to task.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure the site is outside the Naas area, it is part of the Kildare County Dev plan and is zoned for agriculture. The promoters are arguing that anerobic digestion is an agricultural activity. See their dev plan here - submission.

There is more about the technology here - http://www.foe.co.uk/resource/briefings/anaerobic_digestion.pdf
    To me it seem generally a good thing, and is better than landfilling or incinerating. The problem, as Kerdiffstown has shown, is that the EPA powers are too weak, and a facility can violate its licence for years and not get shut down. Until the EPA gets more enforcement powers, promoters of this technolgy are going to face big opposition anywhere in Ireland.

This is from the decision letter on the Kildare CC planning website, 10107:
    1. The development is located in a rural area outside the development boundaries of any designated town or village. It is the Council’s objective to “support the sustainable development of rural areas in economic, social and environmental terms in a way that supports the rural economy and rural communities and to retain the identity of towns and rural settlements and to ensure that orderly development of newly developing areas on the edges of towns and settlements by resisting urban sprawl, haphazard and piecemeal development…” (Section 6.6.1 Kildare County Development Plan 2005-2011 refers). The provisions of the development plan deems that land not within an identifiable settlement and not otherwise zoned shall be deemed to be primarily agricultural. (Section 6.7.6 OD 1 of County Development Plan 2005 refers). The proposed development would therefore contravene materially an objective indicated in the Development Plan for the use solely or primarily of this area, for agriculture. Furthermore it is considered that this proposal would involve the introduction of an industrial type development into a rural area and would be contrary to the provisions of the current County Development Plan 2005-2011 and would therefore be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

2. Having regard to the to the existing road layout in the vicinity of the site, the proposed provision for access via the accommodation bridge over the heavily trafficked M7 and the inadequate capacity of the bridge to accommodate a large number of heavy goods vehicles, to permit the proposed development would endanger public safety by reason of traffic hazard and would contravene materially policy BE2 of the Development Plan “to locate biomass installations in areas that do not affect residential or visual amenity and which are served by public roads with sufficient capacity to absorb increased traffic flows.” The proposal would thus be contrary to the provisions of the County Development Plan 2005-2011 and to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

3. In the interest of sustainable development, the provision of the processing of biodegradable waste, and other waste streams needs to be clearly associated with and aligned with strategic waste management, planning and renewable energy policies and plans in order to achieve balanced and orderly development. In this process an examination of alternatives both in relation to locations and processes is an integral part of an ordered and structured approach. It is considered that in assessing this development the applicant has failed to provide satisfactory assessment of the consideration of alternative sites as part of the Environmental Impact Assessment process having regard to the requirements of Article 94 and Schedule 6 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001-2006. The proposed development would, therefore be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

4. The proposal to use the existing priority access at the junction with the Monread Road would endanger public safety by reason of traffic hazard and obstruction of other road users by right turning vehicles and may also adversely affect the capacity of the Monread Road. The proposal would therefore be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

5. Having regard to the height of the proposed reception building and storage tanks (12m high) at a rural location adjacent to a feeder canal to the Grand Canal. It is considered that the proposed development due to its significant size and scale will be a dominant and adverse impact on the natural environment, would be seriously injurious to the visual amenities of the area, and would be contrary to the provisions of Section 8.3 (3) of the County Development Plan 2005-2011, which states as an Objective “To ensure that the location of renewable energy structures should minimise and or mitigate any adverse visual impacts on the built or natural environment.” The proposal would thus be contrary to the provisions of the County Development Plan 2005-2011 and to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

6. It is considered that, based on the inadequate information (i.e. no Odour Management Plan) submitted and the robustness and quantifiable risks associated with the carriage of waste, the technology, the processes are not adequately identified and assessed particularly in the context of potential impacts on residential properties in the vicinity, the proposed development would be incompatible with Section 15.9 of the County Development Plan that any industrial or commercial development shall not be injurious to the residential amenity of adjoining properties. The proposed development would impact adversely on the amenity of properties in the vicinity and would depreciate the value of property in the vicinity, and would set an undesirable precedent for similar developments in the area. The proposal would thus be contrary to the provisions of the County Development Plan 2005-2011 and to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 PumpkinPie

To all concerned residents:

the planning application was rejected.
    See more on
    http://www.labour.ie/emmetstagg/news/12686706498383601.html

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

PumpkinPie wrote: »
    To all concerned residents:

the planning application was rejected.
    See more on
    http://www.labour.ie/emmetstagg/news/12686706498383601.html

Great !

Whats going to happen about the smell now !

9 times out of 10 I always will catch a whiff of it going down the N7. I pity people living around there.

I caught the smell around the IDA center a few times. But not nearly as much a couple of months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Monsieur M

The facility was treating biodegradable waste prior to disposal to landfill. It should therefore have had an approval from the dept of agriculture for the treatment of animal by-products as every proper composting operation has.
    They do not have one. But I have heard nothing from the dept of ag. re this operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Quasar J

TRIPLE DUMP FOR SALLINS, JOHNSTOWN, NAAS & KILL!

The proposed Bio-energy facility has been refused by Kildare County Council. Over 500 objections were lodged. People power does work! It is very likely that the applicant will appeal to An Bord Planeála and all
    resident associations will keep you informed of th...is and as to the
    necessary steps to take.
    Need more information – email your details to info@can.ie (Clean Air
    Naas)
    Odours in the air, what can you do?
    Contact the EPA as follows:-
    Dump Odours: EPA Dublin 01 2680100
    The EPA responds to the numbers of calls, the more complaints the
    more we will be listened to. Don’t assume someone else will report, take control of this today.
    Planning permission has been given by Kildare County Council and
    An Bord Planeála (Granted 27th October 2009) to Dean Waste
    Ref: 07/187 for a new dump adjacent the Kerdiffstown Dump which is
    the facility which is fouling our environment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Any news on when the smell is being dealt with?

It's been adding to my cars fuel consumption (aircon being turned to recycle air in cabin) for ages!

smokingman wrote: »
    Any news on when the smell is being dealt with?

It's been adding to my cars fuel consumption (aircon being turned to recycle air in cabin) for ages!

The people who can best answer your question are at the EPA. I sugest you give them a call, make a complaint (if you have not already done so). An investigator should get back to you and you can then ask them for the latest status on the enforcement proceeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

A1 Waste (or Nephin Trading, if you like) were in court yesterday trying to get the injunction lifted. They failed and have apparently declared themsevles insolvent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

penexpers wrote: »
    A1 Waste (or Nephin Trading, if you like) were in court yesterday trying to get the injunction lifted. They failed and have apparently declared themsevles insolvent.

what does insolvent mean?

• Advertisement

gsxr1 wrote: »
    what does insolvent mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insolvency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Darren069

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    Anyone else getting the smell of sewerage around the Monread Road and the Ball as you come into Naas?

Its been coming and going really bad since thursday.... its rank![/QUOTE

Well ive heard that the dump is taken in toxic waste

Darren069 wrote: »
    Well ive heard that the dump is taken in toxic waste

Well, what sort of toxic waste has been dumped there?

I doubt that any 'toxic' waste has been taken there in recent times, if ever. The EPA have inspected the site. due in no small part to all those complaints from local residents and businesses. There was no mention of toxic waste in any of the court hearings linked in this thread.

We're supposed to export all our 'toxic' waste for incineration to the continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Well, what sort of toxic waste has been dumped there?

I doubt that any 'toxic' waste has been taken there in recent times, if ever. The EPA have inspected the site. due in no small part to all those complaints from local residents and businesses. There was no mention of toxic waste in any of the court hearings linked in this thread.

We're supposed to export all our 'toxic' waste for incineration to the continent.

I too was wondering how this claim about toxic waste can be made? Toxic waste is seriously controlled, and the implications for the manufacturer (never mind the waste company/disposer) would be horrendous. Am I the only one who thinks the rank odour has decreased lately?

Anyone any idea when the 2 incenerators are due to open?

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks the rank odour has decreased lately?

I get the smell when I drive past the entrance to this dump on the Kerdiffstown Rd. Havent got the smell in Sallins, Straffan or the Naas bypass in a good few weeks.

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Anyone any idea when the 2 incenerators are due to open?

I presume you're talking about Poolbeg and Cork? I dont think there are any incinerators planned for the Naas area. There's been some disagreement between the minister for the environment and the company who submitted for Poolbeg on the annual tonnage. I cant see any of the planned incinerators coming online for at least 3 years.

From the 17 June Kildare Nationalist:
    A LIQUIDATOR and receiver have been appointed to A1 Waste and Neiphin Trading, the companies associated with the controversial Kerdiffstown dump.

KPMG has been appointed receiver to Dean Waste Limited, which holds about 90 per cent of the group’s assets. Kavanagh Fennell was appointed liquidator of Neiphin Trading Limited, which operates the dump in Kerdiffstown, on Thursday 10 June. The director of A1 Waste is Tony Dean. It is believed that A1 Waste recently contacted the EPA to request urgent assistance with the clean-up of the dump. Last month, A1 Waste was ordered by the High Court to cease taking in waste to the dump.

A spokesperson for the EPA told the Kildare Nationalist: “The EPA was granted an interlocutory injunction in February 2010 prohibiting Neiphin Trading Limited from using the landfill cells until suitable controls are in place.

The EPA was granted a further injunction in May 2010 preventing any waste being brought onto the site as a result of the licensee stockpiling waste on the site in contravention of their licence, and on other parts of the site not covered by the previous injunction and undertaking. The court ruled in favour of the EPA and confirmed the orders and granted a further mandatory order to clean up the stockpiled waste last week.

A third case is to be heard before the High Court and is scheduled for a hearing in October 2010. The EPA submitted a file to the Director of Public Prosecutions in November 2009 and is currently awaiting a direction from the DPP. The EPA does not wish to comment any further pending the outcome of outstanding courts actions and the conclusion of the scheduled creditors meetings.”

Representatives of Clean Air Naas (www.can.ie) have been attending the High Court hearings. Joe Friel of CAN told the Kildare Nationalist: “We want a clear plan from the EPA about what they are going to do going forward.” He added that the members of CAN are urging all people who are still experiencing smells from the dump to continue contacting the EPA to alert them.

“It’s important for people to keep notifying the EPA about the odour,” said Joe. “The smell earlier this week was pretty horrific for two nights. CAN has discovered that the smell is coming from a heavy gas emitted from the site that is predominantly hydrogen sulphite. It accumulates like a heavy cloud over the area.” Some residents have described the smell as being similar to ‘rotten eggs’.

“We are extremely worried,” said Joe. “Needless to say the summer is upon us, and if we have a good summer there could be a very serious problem. The heat builds up and the smell rises.”

Clean Air Naas is now calling upon the EPA to use their legal powers to swiftly take control of the dump, which is the most complained about dump in Ireland. “The high level of complaints about stinking odours from local residents has forced the EPA to take the legal action against A1 Waste.

“It is absolutely critical that residents continue to report bad odours to the EPA’s complaint helpdesk at 01 268 0100 and force the EPA to urgently plan a proper clean-up. Clean Air Naas asks you to keep this issue at the top of the EPA’s agenda,” said CAN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 RomyF

will the smell start to travel towards the town? cuz that does not kick ass.. not at all.

From the 19 August Leinster Leader:
    RESIDENTS living close to the closed waste facility at Kerdiffstown face a pollution threat and could be overrun by rats - unless the site is cleaned up.
    The controversial landfill site was operated by Neiphin Trading until mid-May when it was closed by an order granted in the High court.
    The closure followed by complaints from residents living in the many estates in the Monread area of Naas as well as from people living in the Kerdiffstown area, Sallins and Clane.

At the time it was described as the most complained about landfill in the country and according the the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) it received more than 100 complaints.

Now there are fears that because Neiphin Trading is in financial difficulty a clean-up operation may not take place for some time.

"There is concern that the EPA has not acted yet because there is evidence of leachate (essentially water run-off from mounds of refuse) gathering there from unprocessed piles of waste. There are over one million tonnes of unprocessed waste at the site and when rain runs through it, it gathers in a pool. The site must be secured," said Joe Friel of Clean Air Naas (CAN), an environmental action group.

Mr. Friel also warned there is a realistic fear of rat infestation because there is no plan in place to deal with the problem.

"This is like a McDonald's for rats and sooner or later the rats might decide there are better pickings to be had further afield in bins beside private houses," added Mr. Friel.

"This is happening because the EPA has not acted quickly enough," he said.

Mr. Friel also called for files relating to the dump at Kerdiffstown to be made available for inspection by CAN.

"We have sought access to files relating to elements of the operation of the dump for the past three years but so far have been refused. Our understanding is that every waste facility has to have a file which is accessible."

Mr. Friel said the EPA "appear to have disowned Naas."

The dump was effectively shut down by the High court after evidence was heard that A1 Waste, a company associated with Neiphin Trading, had brought 6,500 tonnes of waste in 260 truck loads between February and May. This followed a court injunction, granted in February, which prohibited future dumping in part of the Kerdiffstown site.

Photographs supplied by Patrick Meade which show leachate from the dump at Kerdiffstown. Campainers are fearful that local ground water will become contaminated.

In May it also emerged that the company was in severe financial difficulty and company director Tony Dean said the company was losing E100,000 a week as a result of the injunction granted in February and the recession.

He said the company would not survive if both injunctions remained in place and this would also result in some 100 employees losing their jobs and 50 contractors having arrangements terminated.

CAN has been urging local people to complain about the site and smells emanating from it to the EPA. CAN has further called for the EPA to be granted more powers and said that the amount of time taken to secure a legal conclusion to the problems at Kerdiffstown were due in part to this.

An EPA spokeswoman told the Leader that the organisation is in talks with the liquidator who is now dealing with Neiphin's financial affairs. The spokeswoman was reluctant to comment further but indicated that identifying who is responsible for cleaning up the site will form part of the outcome of these talks.

Patrick Meade, who proposes a bio-energy plant for the area and who owns land there, has criticised the presence of leachate as a profound health risk.

"This is a serious public safety issue if the ground water becomes contaminated. This is a far more serious than just a smell, which has been causing many complaints. Pressure should be brought to bear to get this problem sorted out and to minimise a risk of water becoming contaminated," said Mr. Meade, who supplied these photographs to the Leader.

He added: "There seems to be a stalemate but this will be a serious problem until it is dealt with. Somebody has to take responsibility."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scudges Da

Just went passed the dump and it's on fire

Advertisement