Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for something < €2000

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

squod wrote: »
    Even back in '98 it was hard to find a car with such poor ride quality, poor driving position, such low spec for it original sales price. You've found one, well done.

i think the ride quality of a corolla is far superior to that of a fiesta,and the driving position ,and you cant hear the noisy engine right in front of you like a fiesta.
    you could buy high or low spec corollas or fiestas back in 98 the only thing is the corollas resale values were higher.
    also these old fords were prone to rust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

bazz26 wrote: »
    ABS was not made standard on new cars until 2004 so on the OPs budget unless he/she goes for something bigger such as an Avensis or Mondeo type car you will not find ABS on a supermini. Even the likes of the Focus didn't have it until 2004. The Focus still has rear drums on most models today.

That's why I emphasised that he should make it a major factor in his decision. (and brought it up as a reason to avoid a feista)
    It's an absolute farce that popular cars, eg focus base model, were still being left out on our roads without ABS until 2004.
    If he goes for the 1.5 mazda 323 (with GLX spec, fairly common?) he should have ABS and at least one airbag and electric windows(Colmcm may be able to confirm or refute this)

The drum brakes/disc brakes thing isn't really important in this situation I spose, ABS and a good set of tyres are the key things.

Other options apart from whats been mentioned so far? I'm biased towards bigger cars for safety/equipment specs, so if it wasn't a "first car" and hence probably first insurance in own name, it'd be an accord or a mazda 626 I'd be suggesting for bangernomics. Not very well informed about the safety/equipment spec on early base model avensis. Always saw accords and 626 as better value secondhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

mossfort wrote: »
    i think the ride quality of a corolla is far superior to that of a fiesta,and the driving position ,and you cant hear the noisy engine right in front of you like a fiesta.
    Either the suspension was knackered in the Fiesta or your standards for ride quality are weird. Only the 1.3 pushrod engine is noisy, and road noise is terrible in the Corolla from my experience.
    you could buy high or low spec corollas or fiestas back in 98 the only thing is the corollas resale values were higher.

I have never seen a Corolla from around then that wasn't a XLi (E100, XLi Plus run-out model added central locking, white dials and feck all else) or Terra (E110) unless they were an import. If there were other specs available (besides the diesel) it seems no one bought them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A 323 (1.5 or 1.6) GLX (98 on) will have ABS, traction control, stability control, front and side airbags and ABS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭sk8board

colm_mcm wrote: »
    A 323 (1.5 or 1.6) GLX (98 on) will have ABS, traction control, stability control, front and side airbags and ABS.

not saying its not the case Colm, I'm not big on the individual car spec's, but I checked carzone briefly and couldn't find any 323 (GLX or otherwise) that said ABS, never mind stability/traction control and side airbags

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

also these old fords were prone to rust.

Speaks volumes:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

squod wrote: »
    Speaks volumes:rolleyes:

i suppose your going to call the mondeo a good car as well.
    when you get your full licence you can buy a toyota:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

when you get your full licence you can buy a toyota:D

After you've finnish the junior cert you could read some books about cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

sk8board wrote: »
    not saying its not the case Colm, I'm not big on the individual car spec's, but I checked carzone briefly and couldn't find any 323 (GLX or otherwise) that said ABS, never mind stability/traction control and side airbags

That doesn't necessarily mean they don't have them - they could but either the sellers don't know they do or couldn't be arsed filling in the ad properly (likely as older cars like these may be trade-ins).

Not sure if this is much help but here's specs for 1999 UK models (no GLX and no saloon so they must be different over there):

1.3 LXi - Steering adjustment, central locking, deadlocks, alarm/immobiliser, driver's airbag, rear centre 3-point belt, front elec windows, heated wing mirrors, RDS radio/cassette, height adjustable seats, split/fold rear seats
    1.5 LXi - adds aircon, ABS (2.0 DI Turbo is the same)
    1.5 GXi - adds elec sunroof, passenger airbag, traction control
    1.8 GSi - adds alloys
    1.8 SE - adds metallic paint, side airbags, CD changer

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

what would be wrong with a Focus? you'd pick up an early one for 2K. I realise the 1.4 is a little underpowered but its surely no worse than a corolla???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Irish specs are different alright, low spec models being worse off than UK and high spec being slightly better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭nellocon

Hi guys,

thanks for all the responses, they are really helpful.

I am particularly interested in looking a the Mazda 323. From some research turns out they are one of the most reliable cars of their age. And also pretty cheap to pick up although not too many of them around.

Will be looking in to these cars further...appreciate the tips alot lads!

Advertisement