Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for something < €2000

Options
  • 12-12-2009 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi Motorists,

Looking for a bit of help here. I just got a new job and decided its about time to get out and buy my own car. Have been driving the fatheres for the last 2 years.
    Anyway, i have a budget of less than 2000. I simply need something reliable enough, and just won't break my heart. Can be anything really. I myself was thinking along the lines of a toyota corrolla, avensis, or a skoda octavia (1999, 2000 model).

My biggest fear is handing over the cash and coming home only for the car to break to pieces on me. Has anyone got any advice on this so called banger-nomics?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd always go Japanese for proper bangeromics. the 1.4 engine in the Skoda as well as being underpowered is not that reliable and has a number of issues.

I'd look for a low mileage non VVT-i 1.6 Avensis or a late Carina E. Spend €1500 on the Carina and the other €500 on a service and good tyres. Go on mileage and condition over year.

A Mazda 323f or 323 1.5 is also a great choice. particularly the 323f up to 98 as they're reasonably stylish.

This looks worth a look
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/F-LX--%28M/200950196139806/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif
    Has ABS and a sunroof and looks very tidy. maybe chisel the price down to €1700 or so.

This 1.5 GLX saloon has the same spec but in a more sedate looking body. these ones also get traction and stability control. They also get central locking, 4 electric windows and electric heated mirrors.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/GLX-1.5-/200947195949066/advert?channel=CARS
    no-image-large.gif
    Should be obtainable for €1500.

Facelifted 1.6 model for €2350, again probably negotiable. 1.6 has a bit more go than the 1.5 and has improved interior and air conditioning in lieu of sunroof. as well as foglights, and a factory fitted stereo with steering wheel remote.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/EXCLUSIV/200949196048044/advert?channel=CARS
    no-image-large.gif

Make sure timing belt on all these has been done.

This generation of 323 was the most reliable car of any category tested by What Car at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You want something that's done NCT recently. Even thought it won't say much about engine reliability etc you know it was deemed roadworthy not too long ago.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1023204
    View2?id=1981591

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1009970
    View2?id=1816587

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

You may have to consider less popular cars to get max value for money here.
    Consider adding this to the list - 99 onwards Mazda 323 saloon or hatchback (1.3petrol mainly in ireland). Not as popular or "cool" as a corolla but every bit, if not more, reliable.

Random example, not endorsing this car in any way:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/Lx/200950196162024/advert?channel=CARS
    Thats probably due a timing belt due to age or mileage, 350 tops from a good local garage?

The benefits of bangernomics really work on 1.8 petrol upwards . You can pick up a nice old car that has depreciated through the floor (fiercebigengines don't you know, feckers for depreciating), with extras and safety features that a 1.4 selling for the same price won't have.

This being your first car, you may be limited to a 1.4ish banger-without-the-nomics!
    Don't go all the way to the limit of your funds with the car, keep at least 500 for a few inevitable jobs.

hahaha, beaten to it by colm...

The 1.3 is painful in the 323 though, and is actually taxed as a 1.4 because it's just over 1.3 litre. They're also very basic with no central locking or even electric windows. I'd go 1.5 or 1.6 every time.

€333 = road tax on 323 1.3
    €357 = road tax on 323 1.5

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The 1.3 is painful in the 323 though, and is actually taxed as a 1.4 because it's just over 1.3 litre. They're also very basic with no central locking or even electric windows. I'd go 1.5 or 1.6 every time.

€333 = road tax on 323 1.3
    €357 = road tax on 323 1.5

Absolutely, but the 1.3 was the biggest seller, don't we just love underpowered cars in Ireland?

The 1.8/2.0 323f GT would be my personal choice, cheap anonymous and nice bit of power, like hens teeth out there though....

• Advertisement

There's a lovely looking 323f V6 on Carzone for €1450.

Sorry OP, off topic here---
    There's either a few green ones or that's been doing the rounds for a while.
    That mileage could be genuine, hasn't seen the outside of a yard in a long time if it's the same one I saw 2-3 years ago...
    Maybe nothing wrong with it, just hard to sell, not a car for mainstream Ireland!
    Is that the engine from the xedos? the miller cycle engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jameson4me

a corolla 1.3 or 1.4 would be my choice. relatively cheap and they will go forever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭sk8board

if only because I've got one, I can recommend the '00 - '02 Megane. (before and after those years they are suspect). Try to get an Rxi spec hatchback. No competitors beat the rxi for spec, and a very safe car (it has ABS, isofix & aircon to name just three useful ones that few of the others have).

its starts on the first turn every morning for 10 years, never a days trouble. As for electrics, nothing serious to report, but I have had some odd issues, though nothing to stop the car rolling (rear wiper & speedo)

the 1.4 16v is an excellent 98bhp engine too, and plently of poke for what it is. No history of any trouble with them. beats the competitors for bhp at any rate.

not recommending this one, just an example: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200939195310898

it might be a bridge between the reliable corolla and just a little bit of style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

sk8board wrote: »
    if only because I've got one, I can recommend the '00 - '02 Megane. (before and after that they are suspect). Try to get an Rxi spec hatchback, its a great spec for that year in any 5-door hatchback including the focus, and very safe.

its started on the first turn every morning since new, and as renaults go its as reliable as they come.

the 1.4 16v is an excellent 98bhp engine too, and plently of poke for what it is. No history of any trouble wiht them.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200939195310898

it might be a bridge between the reliable corolla and just a little bit of style

are you suggesting that because the megane started every morning that its a reliable car??? Any japanese car "starts" every morning.. I wouldnt think a car is very reliable for the reason you gave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

In fairness much of what sk8board says is true. If you can stretch to an 02 megane, you might get one of the "runout" models that they released with lots of toys just before the model change - things like alloys, a/c, and so on and so forth. Also good NCAP ratings, and a good number of airbags for a car of that size/age.

Mileage, condition, service history and recent NCT will help to reduce the risk of buying a difficult car, though in truth all cars need TLC at some time in their lives. As someone else said, keep a few bob aside for the inevitable job - brakes maybe, or suspension, or a timing belt - the most expensive of the regular service items due usually every 5 years or 60000 miles, and worth checking when it was done. Even "reliable cars" can cause trouble.

Dealer purchase might give you some level of a warranty, even if only 3-6 months, which might also help to give you peace of mind.

Check out honestjohn.co.uk for info on your chosen models, this website can be useful for pointing out things to look for on particular cars.

oxegen85 wrote: »
    are you suggesting that because the megane started every morning that its a reliable car??? Any japanese car "starts" every morning.. I wouldnt think a car is very reliable for the reason you gave

its a turn of phrase and you know it.

I'm merely suggesting that for his 2k budget, he can get things the corolla or mazda can't provide apart from reliability. if he wants aircon, **ABS**, some comforts, or a decent spec, with reasonable reliability, he can have those too, with a well-speced Focus or with most Megane's of the '00 - '02 revised models (I also suggested I wouldn't go outside that year range)

remember the budget is less that 2k.

whatever you get, its going to be 10-12 years old.

reliability is only a nice-to-have at that age car. its not a guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I like that 323F but it does have a bit of a hairdresser image.. corolla is the bread and butter car on a budget. I'd a 97 XLi *Plus* (white dials, alloys etc) and I had the best crack driving it I've ever had.. ever race a 99 accent and win... feels good.

Heres a very good example I'd nearly buy it myself..

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Corolla/XLI-PLUS/200949196095244/advert?channel=CARS

If I was in the OP's shoes I wouldn't concerned in the slightest about any extras. He can be worrying about extras and something more flash 2 years down the line.
    He's on a very limited budget. 2k, minus the money for service/repairs/tyres.
    New job, and "in the current climate" he needs to be there on time everyday without drama for the first few months at least.
    I won't go down the renault/alfa bashing route, but there is simply nothing can touch mid-to-late nineties jap cars for reliability. Apart from the annoyance of garage trips, funds and work hours may not allow for too many of them.

I was amazed to see an article, in the Examiner on Friday, about a teacher on 38k complaining that she couldn't afford an old banger. Now, she must have a very different opinion of what constitutes a banger, because I know plenty of people who started work on far less than that and just accepted that their first ( and most likely second) car was going to be fairly old (and jap if they had any sense). Starlet, micra, sunny, mazda 323, fiesta, mopeds.
    Funnily enough, most of these people don't have any huge debts because they bought only what they needed, not to impress anyone.

Freaky, used to live in that estate where the corolla is pictured, I was just about to say they're all the rage round here alright....

The coupe type 323f up til 98 had that image alright, hairdressers porsche, the demographic has change recently, seems to be mainly 419ers driving em now.
    The later model 323f (99 - 04?)was a square mini-estate style hatch back.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

i sold a 98 1.3 corolla liftback for 1200 euros about 8 months ago.
    it was always reliable clean not even a rattle .
    i found it hard to sell idont know why and it was a good car so i would recomend any of these corollas.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭roryq69

Buy a toyota or honda! Only guaranteed reliable cars going! Been driving toyota's since i was 17. thats 10 years now. Started with a 1990 starlet 1 litre, wasnt the best looking or fastest but it NEVER let me down. It burned almost as much oil as petrol but as long as i kept it topped up it would never stop. It only cost me 300 euro's! Then i got a 93 corolla 1.3, gave it a regular service and never a problem now i got a 00 corolla vvti and its never let me down either! have it now for 4 years and put up 50,000 miles so its not that its not driven! Friends of mine have had civics, accords and integra's and no bother with them either. Just passin on the benifit of my experience. P.s no car will be reliable unless you take some care of it. Get those rattles and knocks fixed as soon as you hear them start not when you can hear nothin but them. And reguler servicing makes your car run far better and longer.

nellocon wrote: »
    Hi Motorists,

Looking for a bit of help here. I just got a new job and decided its about time to get out and buy my own car. Have been driving the fatheres for the last 2 years.
    Anyway, i have a budget of less than 2000. I simply need something reliable enough, and just won't break my heart. Can be anything really. I myself was thinking along the lines of a toyota corrolla, avensis, or a skoda octavia (1999, 2000 model).

My biggest fear is handing over the cash and coming home only for the car to break to pieces on me. Has anyone got any advice on this so called banger-nomics?

Cheers

This yoke.
    http://cars.buyandsell.ie/vehicles/view/453539/ford-fiesta-2003

squod wrote: »

that was listed on the 24 february.
    i wouldnt buy one of those sewing machines.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ford Fiesta 1.25 litre Ghia would be my choice, 75bhp Yamaha designed engine is very reliable and the Ghia spec has air con, cd player, alloy wheels, etc. In this price bracket it is hard to beat.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200942195499058

bazz26 wrote: »
    Ford Fiesta 1.25 litre Ghia would be my choice, 75bhp Yamaha designed engine is very reliable and the Ghia spec has air con, cd player, alloy wheels, etc. In this price bracket it is hard to beat.

+1 great chasis.

mutton dressed as lamb.

Put together by a fairly disaffected workface, and routinely filled with the wrong oil once they got outside of warranty (if serviced at all). Do they even have ABS as standard? Presume Ghia would. When did they get rid of drum brakes on the rear?

Actually OP - make that a major factor when considering older cars, on this budget I wouldn't worry about aircon or alloys, aircon could be dodge anyway if your going back ten years. You can always add a cd player yourself.

You must have ABS, an airbag for yourself and passenger too if a passenger will be a regular fixture. As they say - you never know when you'd meet a fool or a donkey...
    Electric windows are handy for nosing out onto the road from bad junctions, hidden entrances - drop both windows and listen for traffic.

(I went from driving a car that had all the handy stuff, to a right banger for a while, good ABS brakes and electric windows were the only things I missed that I really needed for safe driving)

mossfort wrote: »
    i sold a 98 1.3 corolla liftback for 1200 euros about 8 months ago.
    it was always reliable clean not even a rattle .
    i found it hard to sell idont know why and it was a good car so i would recomend any of these corollas.

Even back in '98 it was hard to find a car with such poor ride quality, poor driving position, such low spec for it original sales price. You've found one, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Primera or Carisma would be my choice.Wont drink fuel as the 1.6 in them suit the cars fine and you wont have problems with them.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200926194441948

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200940195397674

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

i think even an almera would do the job too... my first was an almera and no bothers with it and you can get ones well in the 00's for your budget

langdang wrote: »
    Put together by a fairly disaffected workface, and routinely filled with the wrong oil once they got outside of warranty (if serviced at all). Do they even have ABS as standard? Presume Ghia would. When did they get rid of drum brakes on the rear?

Actually OP - make that a major factor when considering older cars, on this budget I wouldn't worry about aircon or alloys, aircon could be dodge anyway if your going back ten years. You can always add a cd player yourself.

You must have ABS, an airbag for yourself and passenger too if a passenger will be a regular fixture. As they say - you never know when you'd meet a fool or a donkey...
    Electric windows are handy for nosing out onto the road from bad junctions, hidden entrances - drop both windows and listen for traffic.

(I went from driving a car that had all the handy stuff, to a right banger for a while, good ABS brakes and electric windows were the only things I missed that I really needed for safe driving)

ABS was not made standard on new cars until 2004 so on the OPs budget unless he/she goes for something bigger such as an Avensis or Mondeo type car you will not find ABS on a supermini. Even the likes of the Focus didn't have it until 2004. The Focus still has rear drums on most models today.

mossfort wrote: »
    mutton dressed as lamb.

Your opinion only, not fact.

• Advertisement

ABS was not made standard on new cars until 2004 so on the OPs budget unless he/she goes for something bigger such as an Avensis or Mondeo type car you will not find ABS on a supermini. Even the likes of the Focus didn't have it until 2004. The Focus still has rear drums on most models today.

as I quoted above, the refreshed '00-'02 meganes had ABS as standard, along with nearly all other extras which for under 2k you probably wouldn't need or value: alloys, aircon, fogs, spoiler, electric windows/mirrors, electric sunroof, sports seats (for a renault) and a decent driving position, although the ride on long journeys can be sore (but better than the xli corolla for sure)

I've had one for 10 years from new and its had bulletproof reliability, but thats with full main dealer service history and avg 9k miles per year.

the engine is excellent, 98hp 1.4.

you'd get a '00 with NCT for about 1500-1700e. I wouldn't count it out just because of renaults '02-'07 reliability fiasco, they did make some half-decent ones that are cheap to get these days.

Advertisement