Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

When I worked in Topshop they had size 4 in the Petite range only back then and they were mostly being bought by very young teens/tweens... So basically children! I'd say the tiny sizes are for the fact that girls younger and younger are getting really into the high street fashion, and are less accepting of "kids' clothes", say Dunnes/M&S etc. Only really New Look do a proper teen line (it's sized by ages), and then you've got Penney's too. Supply and demand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

It's take away 4 isn't it? So I guess so. Jesus that's messed up.
    Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    It'd be really worrying if there was actually a demand for it...
    Pang wrote: »
    It's quite frightening to think that there is demand for it or that it could possibly encourage women to aim to fit into this size.
    It's probably an American 00

Ex-gf used to wear that size in college

I don't think it's messed up for women under 5', TBH.

I worked with a girl who would have been 5'ish and easily no more than a UK size 4. She was tiny but not unhealthy-looking.

Size 4 would be tiny on most women, but I think it's unfair to label all women who wear it as too thin. If you're 4'11", it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I worked with a girl who would have been 5'ish and easily no more than a UK size 4. She was tiny but not unhealthy-looking.

Size 4 would be tiny on most women, but I think it's unfair to label all women who wear it as too thin. If you're 4'11", it's not.

On further inspection it is only clothes in the petite range, just find it mad out of all the women I'm friends with, the thinnest is generally a size 6 and 4'11" and she is very slim!

Off this topic, are brown boots with black tights a no go? I've had these boots for a while and just been wearing them with jeans, too afraid of going for black and brown. Any advice appreciated :)
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkdGuwhJH6daT05xeB3f341O_l1iBLQ7VokRVfgEa-U2hOn5sJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'd go with the black tights, the boots are nearly dark enough to be black anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Go for it! I don't see why not :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

It was a size 2 though. You'd want to be very petite to fit into a size 2 comfortably and be healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Luno I think brown leather goes with everything! One of those wardrobe staples, you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

It was a size 2 though. You'd want to be very petite to fit into a size 2 comfortably and be healthy.

If you're a few inches under 5', it's possible to be size 2 and healthy. You'd have to small-framed though. Kinda like how a, say, 5'6" woman could look a slim but healthy size 6.

Any of you into customising clothes? I am getting into it, cutting slits into the back of my t-shirts, putting studs on clothes (pack of 32 in H&M) and starting to experiment with drawing on clothes with sharpies, must get a proper fabric pen. I find Pinterest great for inspiration :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Any of you into customising clothes? I am getting into it, cutting slits into the back of my t-shirts, putting studs on clothes (pack of 32 in H&M) and starting to experiment with drawing on clothes with sharpies, must get a proper fabric pen. I find Pinterest great for inspiration :D

Absolutely love Pinterest, so many great ideas. Got into ombre/dip dyeing tshirts because of Pinterest.

I love taking plain white tshirts and embellishing them after dyeing them. I make and sew on pockets, collars and bows. Also I love doing fringing by cutting slits up from the hem.

I think it's a great hobby!!

• Advertisement

Absolutely love Pinterest, so many great ideas. Got into ombre/dip dyeing tshirts because of Pinterest.

I love taking plain white tshirts and embellishing them after dyeing them. I make and sew on pockets, collars and bows. Also I love doing fringing by cutting slits up from the hem.

I think it's a great hobby!!

Haven't psyched myself up to dip dyeing yet! Is it hard? Would love to try a dip dyed dress!

Haven't psyched myself up to dip dyeing yet! Is it hard? Would love to try a dip dyed dress!

No it's actually amazingly easy!! I was worried it would be difficult but found it very straightforward. The Dylon hand dyes are great. There's a company in Galway called Heart and I ordered a pack of different colours from them and just experimented.

The only thing you have to watch is that you have something to hold the tshirt or dress up when you are dip dyeing or the whole garment could slip in!

I made a boo boo the first time and the dye travelled up the whole tshirt!!

No it's actually amazingly easy!! I was worried it would be difficult but found it very straightforward. The Dylon hand dyes are great. There's a company in Galway called Heart and I ordered a pack of different colours from them and just experimented.

The only thing you have to watch is that you have something to hold the tshirt or dress up when you are dip dyeing or the whole garment could slip in!

I made a boo boo the first time and the dye travelled up the whole tshirt!!

The first few times trying anything are a freebie ;) I might practice on tea towels. If anyone wants to be a fancy dip dyed teatowel just send me a pm :pac:

I need to learn how to sew properly too, I often see fan things in thrift shops and they're just that little bit off.

The first few times trying anything are a freebie ;) I might practice on tea towels. If anyone wants to be a fancy dip dyed teatowel just send me a pm :pac:

I need to learn how to sew properly too, I often see fan things in thrift shops and they're just that little bit off.

:D super idea!!! I'll take a few!:)

There's a place on Capel street that does sewing classes if you're based in Dublin.

:D super idea!!! I'll take a few!:)

There's a place on Capel street that does sewing classes if you're based in Dublin.

Didnt know there was such a thing as sewing class! Did a bit in Home Ec but all my clothes have a look about them that remind me of Frankenstein's stitches.

Didnt know there was such a thing as sewing class! Did a bit in Home Ec but all my clothes have a look about them that remind me of Frankenstein's stitches.

I did four years of Home Ec in college and still had to do a BASIC sewing class when I came out of the place! :rolleyes:

They have an embroidery class and a sewing machine class which would be of great use for customising clothes. They're called When Poppy Met Daisy. I have seen them on those Groupon deals from time to time.

Saw this deal on Living Social this morning if anyone Dublin based is interested in learning how to do clothing alterations, using the sewing machine or bunting.

https://www.livingsocial.com/cities/1482/deals/803420-choice-of-sewing-class?afsrc=1&utm_campaign=MorningSend&utm_content=1482&utm_medium=email&utm_source=blast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

not too many people using the chat thread these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The chat thread became a place to discuss forum topics rather then chatting socially. Kinda defeated the purpose of having the thread.
    If the chat were being used for just talking with other users who have an interest in fashions it would have been much better. The idea behind it was to foster a bond between users of the forum. It never really got there. Pity.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

just takes a couple of people to give it a poke and get the ball rolling ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Did you just poke my ball?!?
    :D

OK, in the interest of kicking stuff off there is a vintage fashion show and afternoon tea early in November if anyone is interested in getting out to see some stuff and stuff yerselves with cream cakes.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Did you just poke my ball?!?
    :D

Yes. Yes I did :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Is anyone else having trouble with the Dorothy Perkins websites? I am trying to order 3 items and the total is €30 exactly and while its giving me 25% off its not giving the free delivery, is there another code I need for that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnn it looks like I'm on course to receive a €150 voucher in work for anywhere of my choice. It'd be dangerous in my hands as I was thinking about getting something for the missus from the below (in their Dublin branch):

http://buffalo-shop.de/Stiefel/11100,de_DE,sc.html

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I should get a voucher for? Where would you like to be given a voucher to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Does she wear expensive make up? A BT's voucher or something might be nice! Or perhaps an all for one voucher or an amazon gift card to give her choice??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Does she wear expensive make up? A BT's voucher or something might be nice! Or perhaps an all for one voucher or an amazon gift card to give her choice??

She doesn't wear any make-up nor does she shop online at all so the One4All voucher sounds like a great idea.

Many thanks!
    I love Dundrum vouchers but its pretty useless to you if you don't live in South Dublin!

I'm afraid not- we're in the furthest reaches of North County Dublin. I think the last time I was in Dundrum was Christmas time last year and it's been even longer for her.

I love Dundrum vouchers but its pretty useless to you if you don't live in South Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Anyone else feel as if Dorothy Perkins may become the next A-Wear? I really liked some of their stuff but now despite getting emails with 25% off codes I still find myself not bothering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Luno wrote: »
    Anyone else feel as if Dorothy Perkins may become the next A-Wear? I really liked some of their stuff but now despite getting emails with 25% off codes I still find myself not bothering.
    I'm the same. Their stuff has become so expensive and with the delivery etc on top its often not worth it even with discount codes etc.

I placed an order with them in mid-October, all my items were sale items and they had free delivery, total was €34. My order never arrived and they said they'd refund me, two weeks later no refund on the card used for payment, so I contacted them and was told that no refund was issued due to a technical error, and they'd send a cheque (card was expiring) as the refund wouldn't go through before the card expired, took 2.5 weeks for the cheque to arrive in the post. All in all, it was about 7-8 weeks before I got the refund.

Earlier this year I ordered a dress, again a sale item and free delivery, and the dress never arrived, so it took about three weeks before they issued a refund and then another two weeks for the refund to come through on my card.

Very wary of ordering from them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The fact that they have a separate European site really puts me off ordering from them, I feel like we're getting ripped off big time. The UK site even gets better discount codes most of the time!

Advertisement