Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Muckyboots wrote: »
    wot nonsense ?

the idea that a train could be sent down the line. isn't it not obvious?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Cllr Sean Canney, WOT supporter, is canvassing around Tuam now. When he is being challenged about his stance on the Greenway, apart from blabbering out the usual Limerick/Ennis stats, he is saying - " Did you not see? We got the line is cleared. There is an imminent announcement coming about freight."
    If it is true that Irish Rail cleared the line, of shrubs and trees, just at the behest of an election candidate, so that he could falsely promise developments on the line, then it smacks of the worst kind of cronyism, parish pump, golden circle politics and semi-state collusion you could conspire to create. Couldn't be true . Could it? Coincidence surely that this clearing work was completed just weeks before the election is called?? :confused:

He needs to be pulled up about this. The minister has consistently made it clear this railway line is not going to be re-opened, and the so called freight argument was blown out of the water by the rather lame report on freight potential in the west produced by the Western Development Commission.

As we enter an election campaign where are we five years on with this greenway/railway debate and what will happen in the next five years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

westtip wrote: »
    As we enter an election campaign where are we five years on with this greenway/railway debate and what will happen in the next five years?

It'll all be predictable enough. Most candidates will try to be seen to be on both sides of the debate, not coming down on one side or another. It is possible that one or two may stick with the pro-rail side, if they see votes in it, but all the while making appeasing noises to the pro-tourism & leisure lobby.
    Apart from Lorraine Higgins in Galway and Tony McLoughlin and Marie Casserly in Sligo, I don't see too many of the rest getting down from the fence and strongly supporting the greenway. In Galway in particular, the ducking and diving will be entertaining, but as I said, predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

eastwest wrote: »
    It'll all be predictable enough. Most candidates will try to be seen to be on both sides of the debate, not coming down on one side or another. It is possible that one or two may stick with the pro-rail side, if they see votes in it, but all the while making appeasing noises to the pro-tourism & leisure lobby.
    Apart from Lorraine Higgins in Galway and Tony McLoughlin and Marie Casserly in Sligo, I don't see too many of the rest getting down from the fence and strongly supporting the greenway. In Galway in particular, the ducking and diving will be entertaining, but as I said, predictable.

In Galway East only two candidates are engaging with it as election issue. Lorraine Higgins, pro-greenway on the disused railway and Sean Canney, pro-greenway on a motorway but anti-greenway on "my railway".
    The money grabbing landowners in north Galway have turned it into a toxic topic and none of the others will be willing to get off the fence. Even cycling enthusiast Ciaran Cannon is keeping his counsel. They are foolish because there are at least 500-1000 firm No.1's in this and these could pivotal when the eliminations start factoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Saw Cannon accused of being directly responsible for the boil water notice in Loughrea, in Loughrea on Saturday... so he's bigger issues to be worried about...

Any truth in the stories on social media that Sinn Fein have done a U-turn and are now supporting the greenway north of Athenry?

Any truth in the stories on social media that Sinn Fein have done a U-turn and are now supporting the greenway north of Athenry?

New blood in the party I think is beginning to see the sense of it all. The Western Rail Trail/Sligo Mayo greenway campaign has surveyed all candidates on this matter; the great news is we now seem to have mobilised almost 100% cross party support for the greenway now, railway when we can afford it argument, and yes both Sinn Fein candidates have come on board. In truth I think we have probably taken too much notice of SF/WOT cllr Gerry "not up for discussion" Murray from Charlestown who comes from the old school of thought of railway or no way. Remember he is the one who said in an interview on Ear to the Ground in Spring 2013 that great news was coming soon from Europe - he was referring to TEN-T Transport policy from Europe which we all know has killed off the WOT project. Both the SF candidates in Sligo/Leitrim SD/WC have told the greenway campaign they support the idea, this has been highlighted in press release put out yesterday - see next post. Lets not dwell on the past, lets focus on the future and the hope we will have four greenway supporting TDs in the Dail for Sligo/Leitrim SD/WC after the election. If SF are now adopting this idea as policy it is truly great news. See press release in next post.

Press release From: The Western Rail Trail campaign

Date: February 16th 2016: FOR IMMEDIATE USE

• Greenway campaign welcomes cross party and independent’s support for Collooney to Athenry Greenway
    • All major parties and all independents except Declan Bree give electoral support to Western Rail Trail
    • Four Western Rail Trail Greenway supporting TDs in one constituency is now possible

The Western Rail Trail Campaign, the campaign group seeking to protect the alignment of the non operational railway line from Collooney in County Sligo to Athenry in county Galway by placing a greenway on the route until such time as a railway is possible, has welcomed the support of almost every candidate in Sligo Leitrim South Donegal and West Cavan.

Brendan Quinn of the Western Rail Trail campaign said this:

“We contacted all candidates at the start of the campaign by email and asked a simple question : “Do you support current policy as declared by the Department of Transport Tourism and Sport to use the asset of the closed railway from Collooney to Athenry as a greenway now to create a local amenity for communities along the route, to create more tourism related jobs in the West of Ireland, and to protect the route from loss to the State” We also gave candidates an option to disagree with the statement or to say they did not want their opinions known. We have been delighted with the almost unanimous positive response we have received we are now very optimistic we will have cross party support with four TDs who all support the greenway from Collooney to Athenry on the closed railway route.

We very quickly got responses from candidates who support the idea. The most immediate response came from Tony Mcloughlin TD, who has long supported the campaign and from Marie Casserly who has supported the greenway campaign in the council chamber for a long time. John Perry TD who also supports the campaign was quick to respond saying yes to the greenway.

All candidates are very busy, so we followed up the first email with phone calls, texts and further emails until we got a response.

We are very pleased to be able to inform the voting public that every single candidate bar one has responded to the survey with positive support for the greenway campaign.

The only candidate who has failed to respond is Declan Bree, despite numerous emails and calls to his mobile. Mr Bree has refused to say if he supports the greenway campaign.

The main party candidates have been totally supportive, with Labour, all three Fianna Fail and Fine Gael candidates, PBP, Renua and the Green Party candidates all sending messages of support as have all the independent candidates with the exception of Mr. Bree.

All candidates have made similar comments, that it now makes common sense to get on with this project.

Sinn Fein have for the first time openly declared their support for the Collooney to Athenry greenway that would connect the north west to the Dublin-Galway greenway. Chris Macmanus informed the campaign by email that it has his support, and Martin Kenny was interviewed by telephone. Martin Kenny was particularly supportive of the idea to connect up the proposed Sligo-Leitrim-Cavan greenway with the Collooney to Athenry greenway to give West and North West tourism a boost. He said when interviewed that “this one is really above party politics it’s all about what is best for the region”

The Western Rail Trail is delighted the campaign has cross party support, we wish all candidates good luck in their endeavours and will be asking the successful candidates to pursue the Western Rail Trail project once the election is over. we hope to have all four TDs in the constituency publically backing the Western Rail Trail from Collooney to Athenry after the election.

ENDS: body text 575 words
    Contacts: Brendan Quinn 087 4198193

In Galway East only two candidates are engaging with it as election issue. Lorraine Higgins, pro-greenway on the disused railway and Sean Canney, pro-greenway on a motorway but anti-greenway on "my railway".

Please tell me Sean Canney doesn't actually use this argument does he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I can't wait for this greenway to open. A rail connection at each end and trains stuffed with tourists and their bicycles...oh no wait http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/bicycle-information#bicyclesonintercitytrains :D

Please tell me Sean Canney doesn't actually use this argument does he?

He keeps trotting out the "I'm all for greenways, but not on the railway" line and when challenged about a comparable length of publically owned land he quotes "the Motorway" and a network of quiet country lanes that can be upgraded and signposted as dual cycle/tractor routes ( seriously). These are his views and by God he's sticking with them. Bookies favourite - I hope, for his sake, he hasn't under estimated the feeling on the ground re-greenways. On the other hand you have to give him credit for getting off the fence.

Finally, agreement with West on Track for a feasibility study on the Sligo section of the Western Rail Trail

http://oceanfm.ie/groups-unite-to-progress-study-into-the-viability-of-a-greenway-in-co-sligo/

Well done to the Greenway co-op for squeezing this one out and hanging on in there. There can surely only be one outcome now.....

What's the plan/fuzzy outline for getting on from Athenry?
    Was the Dublin/Galway greenway planned to go to Athenry from Loughrea?

What's the plan/fuzzy outline for getting on from Athenry?
    Was the Dublin/Galway greenway planned to go to Athenry from Loughrea?

No, it was planned for Craughwell before the IFA blocked it.
    The new route being looked at may avoid contentious areas and go through Athenry, but there was also a proposal tabled (by Senator Higgins I think) to put in a pathway alongside the wrc to connect Athenry to Craughwell and in that way to connect the Western rail trail to the Dublin-Galway trail.
    It would be a great holiday destination, to be fair. Dublin-Athenry-Sligo-Enniskillen. Would make for a week's cycling if you took it handy.

The new route being looked at may avoid contentious areas and go through Athenry, but there was also a proposal tabled (by Senator Higgins I think) to put in a pathway alongside the wrc to connect Athenry to Craughwell and in that way to connect the Western rail trail to the Dublin-Galway trail.
    It would be a great holiday destination, to be fair. Dublin-Athenry-Sligo-Enniskillen. Would make for a week's cycling if you took it handy.

I think it was senator Higgins, Lorraine Higgins seems to be the only politician in Galway to have put her neck out on this one - national politician that is, we know about the sterling work Shaun Cunniffe has done. I think she also proposed that a parallel greenway on the existing Dublin Galway line might settle the impasse on the Dublin Galway route, better than the suggestion from the IFA to use the "old N6" argument - and still risk getting hit by a truck, what a tourist attraction that would be, I think that fidelma Eames suggested this lunatic idea as well.

While the week long idea is nice, the real benefit of connectivity is that many more shorter trips & walks can happen.

Great coverage on Ocean FM of candidate survey in Sligo leitrim s donegal w cavan

http://oceanfm.ie/sligo-leitrim-candidates-almost-united-on-greenway-issue/

in the meantime thanks to Sean Canneys great initiative for a greenway on the motorway there has been a stampede of bookings for flights of tourists from Germany to the West of Ireland, the beat on the street in Munich is that in all the beer houses this is what people are saying:
    German tourists booking holidays already: as they hear of Sean Canneys intiative: we must go to to ze emerald isle and cycle down ze new greenway following ze beautiful irish autobahn!!

Good coverage on Ocean FM of the survey of all candidates in sligo leitrim s donegal w cavan

Meanwhile Sean Canney in Galway East will be please to hear about the stampede of tourist bookings from Germany. In coffee houses and bars across Munich this is the tone of the conversation
    we must go to to ze emerald isle and cycle down ze new greenway following ze beautiful irish autobahn!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Good coverage on Ocean FM of the survey of all candidates in sligo leitrim s donegal w cavan

Meanwhile Sean Canney in Galway East will be please to hear about the stampede of tourist bookings from Germany. In coffee houses and bars across Munich this is the tone of the conversation

I think that you may find that the majority of our Bavarian brethren will be more appealed to an efficient train system to them to die "green walkways" ja?
    This can be seen with many German tourists (& German friends here) in Cork for example, they prefer taking the bus / trains down to west Cork & Kerry and starting their exploration that way. Unfortunately however in recent times the price of a train has escalated dramatically in Ireland and so they would be inclined to use the bus or car pool together.
    I would hope that many of the councils concerned will have made a thorough viability assessment before condemning an old rail line to a beautiful green pasture
    I know if I were commuting between two cities or major satellite town to a city I would prefer an efficient and regular serviced train over a long bus or car commute daily.

• Advertisement

While the week long idea is nice, the real benefit of connectivity is that many more shorter trips & walks can happen.
    Yes, but the additional revenue can be gained from the massive numbers who do not come to Ireland because of the dearth of infrastructure here. That is a major tourism revenue stream that is as yet untapped in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Yes, but the additional revenue can be gained from the massive numbers who do not come to Ireland because of the dearth of infrastructure here. That is a major tourism revenue stream that is as yet untapped in Ireland.

I think " massive" might be a bit overstated

BoatMad wrote: »
    I think " massive" might be a bit overstated
    Apologies, you're right of course. I shouldn't exaggerate.
    The figure estimated by Failte Ireland is around 20 million, a mere drop in the bucket in our tourism figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Apologies, you're right of course. I shouldn't exaggerate.
    The figure estimated by Failte Ireland is around 20 million, a mere drop in the bucket in our tourism figures.

I suspect that figure is similar to WOT passenger projections

WOT don't even bother to post passenger projections anymore. It's all about the freight. A WDC report that they hung their hat on has killed off the prospect of that on the WRC.
    The game is over but they think it's their ball and they won't stop playing until their mammies call them home.

No, I don't think failte ireland used the back of a cigarette box.
    The figure is just for the potential market. Still, 10% of it should be achievable if we had the infrastructure. It's the fastest growing leisure segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

He keeps trotting out the "I'm all for greenways, but not on the railway" line and when challenged about a comparable length of publically owned land he quotes "the Motorway" and a network of quiet country lanes that can be upgraded and signposted as dual cycle/tractor routes ( seriously). These are his views and by God he's sticking with them. Bookies favourite - I hope, for his sake, he hasn't under estimated the feeling on the ground re-greenways. On the other hand you have to give him credit for getting off the fence.

Well its now shown that he hadn't underestimated anything. Looks like greenways certainly aren't a priority for anyone in galway east. He tops the poll and pro greenway lorraine higgins gets nowhere.

Pete2k wrote: »
    Well its now shown that he hadn't underestimated anything. Looks like greenways certainly aren't a priority for anyone in galway east. He tops the poll and pro greenway lorraine higgins gets nowhere.
    On the other hand both Ciaran Cannon (keen cyclist) TD and Anne Rabbitte TD are declared Greenway supporters. Anne Rabbitte has recently voted in favour of a feasibility study on Galway CC. Sean Canney TD will support the Greenway once he he finally realises, and admits, that there is no prospect of rail just as Cllr Peter Roche, formerly of the Western Rail Dev Commission, did recently.
    BTW -
    Lorraine Higgins got 10% of the poll- well above the Labour,ebbing tide, average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Tuam-Athenry line runs through my relative's back garden. There isn't a hope of it being re-opened. It's in bits and I'm sure it can be renovated but it seems to have been used as a dumping ground in some areas to facilitate the other projects.

• Advertisement

On the other hand both Ciaran Cannon (keen cyclist) TD and Anne Rabbitte TD are declared Greenway supporters. Anne Rabbitte has recently voted in favour of a feasibility study on Galway CC. Sean Canney TD will support the Greenway once he he finally realises, and admits, that there is no prospect of rail just as Cllr Peter Roche, formerly of the Western Rail Dev Commission, did recently.
    BTW -
    Lorraine Higgins got 10% of the poll- well above the Labour,ebbing tide, average.

Higgins' performance bucked the trend for Labour, and some of it had to be related to her stance on this issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement