Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composting toilets

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Stephen McD

I had a look at those but nothing on compost toilets.
    Thanks for that anyway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Like I said, it won't be mentioned explicitly but the Irish regulations implementing those Directives will provide what sketchy legal framework exists to govern composting toilets in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Anyone know where I might find the EU directive or regulations on compost toilets. I've been looking but can find nothing cheers

How did the Donegal camp site get approval?

I suppose a campsite with purpose built toilet facilities is easier to deal with than putting one in a residential home.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Thanks for that anyway

There are a couple of paragraphs in the Sewage Sludge Directive indicating increasing interest on behalf of the major waste processing institutions in Europe in composting sludge, and the environmental and economic advantages of doing so.

Though 'composting toilets' are not quoted directly I think the EU commitment to recover reuse and recycle could be helpfully evoked in dealing with County Councils.

Given that composting toilets perform the same task - in my experience more agreeably and effectively through aerobic processes - how can a County Council quibble at the means since the same end is achieved?

Like a number of posters here I wish to instal a composting toilet in an old cottage as it is more reliable, cheaper, and sound ecologically. I am gobsmacked that bureaucracy can intrude into private life to the extent of telling me where and how I can/not s*1t

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Thanks for that anyway

How's it going with your dealings with your cc?

You'll have your house (or at least the septic tank) built before its resolved most likely ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

This is good reference stuff for me as I hope one day (still very far in the future) to be able to get my own place and definitely would like to have a composting toilet set-up there. Thanks for the links above to German sites, as that's most relevant for me.

With regard to planning, grey water reed beds, etc. the experiences of the couple living in That Roundhouse might be of interest and help. Have no connection to them other than having followed the last couple of years of their planning saga and then bought the small book, which I found fascinating to read, even if a lot of the building stuff went over my head. They're based in Wales but some of the stuff would still be useful - if you go through the planning saga pages, they also include copies of letters they wrote, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Misty Moon wrote: »
    This is good reference stuff for me as I hope one day (still very far in the future) to be able to get my own place and definitely would like to have a composting toilet set-up there. Thanks for the links above to German sites, as that's most relevant for me.

With regard to planning, grey water reed beds, etc. the experiences of the couple living in That Roundhouse might be of interest and help. Have no connection to them other than having followed the last couple of years of their planning saga and then bought the small book, which I found fascinating to read, even if a lot of the building stuff went over my head. They're based in Wales but some of the stuff would still be useful - if you go through the planning saga pages, they also include copies of letters they wrote, etc.

In that case you might be interested in the Baile Dulra eco-village project West Cork which was/is? intended to have composting toilets. Marcus McCabe who is involved with this is a big advocate of compostable toilets. See here http://transitionculture.org/wp-content/uploads/Baile-Dulra.pdf

Advertisement