Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Possible Rat in Car Boot

Options
  • 10-12-2009 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Was cleaning out my boot in preparation for my annual service, found chewed bits of paper in the boot, looked like a rat :eek: had been getting in somewhere,btw its an 02 opel corsa,has anyone had experience of this, any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Hardly a RAT, but more likely a mouse, often live in cars during the winter.

Set a trap overnight, the only way to get em'. Use chocolate in the trap, they love the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

How the f...?

Trap him I suppose:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You need to hire these guys:

rat-hunter-gi-joe.jpg

Sorry, it's my work christmas party tonight....:p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Put a possible cat in there?

EPM wrote: »
    How the f...?

Trap him I suppose:confused:

they are all too common, loads of people never know it that they are driving round with VERMIN in the car:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Hardly a RAT, but more likely a mouse, often live in cars during the winter.

Set a trap overnight, the only way to get em'. Use chocolate in the trap, they love the stuff.

Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

[FONT=&quot]Otherwise it may fail for emissisons...[/FONT]

....sorry.. seriouly though, is the car garaged or stored outdoors? You may want to keep an eye on your wiring in the boot area too if it's exposed... Had a nice car ruined before on me... :(

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Are you serious?

yep - next time you see nawed away paper or insulating foam etc etc or anything in the boot, behind the dash or in the engine bay, it did'nt happen on its own.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Oh dear christ:eek: Im a gonner if a mouse or rat jumps on my lap when im doing 120 on the motorway:o

• Registered Users Posts: 41 artfreak

Thanks for all the replies. Have stocked up on traps, borrowed a Jack Russell and the mechanic is checking out possible entry points. The car is parked in the driveway so am now hoping that there no damage done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

are you sure its not one of those degradable shopping bags you might have left in the boot?
    after a few months they break into tiny little pieces and look like a mouse ate them......

benj wrote: »
    are you sure its not one of those degradable shopping bags you might have left in the boot?
    after a few months they break into tiny little pieces and look like a mouse ate them......
    There was a Hard Back Book in boot, the cover looked to have been chewed, bits of it everywhere.
    Will just have to keep an eye on it, will set traps and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

artfreak wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. Have stocked up on traps, borrowed a Jack Russell and the mechanic is checking out possible entry points. The car is parked in the driveway so am now hoping that there no damage done.

If the jack russell gets a sniff he'll do more damage trying to get at it :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The lads in the office here noticed this thread and are bemused by the uncertainty around the "possibility" of said rat :)

Schrodinger's rat perhaps?? :)

(I'm guessing a trap is probably best!)
    DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Ha Ha I remember last year I found a nest of mice in the middle of the foam in the back seat of the aul lads primera,

We were wondering what was eating the chocolate bars left in the glove box of the car and there was a stink in the car the whole time!
    They would hop up through a drain hole in the spare wheel well in the boot of the car. Me father used to bring barley in the boot also for cattle out in the fields!

They can cause serious damage to wiring in your car as they love to sharpen their teeth on them, We had to strip the whole car before we found the nest inside the back seat cushion!
    They were having a great time free ride, free food, free chocolate !!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sure its not a Possible car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Trapped 3 mice in the wifes car, it was sold soon thereafter!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

There is a mouse currently residing in the other half's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Trapped 3 mice in the wifes car, it was sold soon thereafter!
    Were they blind, and are you a farmer?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

They can cause serious damage to wiring in your car as they love to sharpen their teeth on them, We had to strip the whole car before we found the nest inside the back seat cushion.
    They were having a great time free ride, free food, free chocolate !!!

Sounds a bit like the ex in her time :pac:

anyhow op try hoover out the boot and remove carpets etc. I would suspect they could be coming in throught the fire wall? other places to look is the drain in the boot. Mice are small and have some freaky thing about them where they only need a hole the diameter of your finger to get in :confused:

Good luck witht the mouse.

@esel... Now I can't get the outta my head! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its just Hubert Flynn escaping the cold! Maybe leave a pint of Guinness in the boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

not a good idea... if the cat sprays you will know about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Rats do get into cars seen it twice. Put a cat into it overnight,
    or set traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 drs1

i seen this before in a skoda octavia...
    they'd got in through the vents below behind the rear bumper..
    (worth a look there thats a nice lowish handy point for them to get in)
    they destroyed a 6 month old car had nibbled on wires in the boot.
    but had actually started eating through the loom running from the car to the engine bay..
    i wont scare you with how much this cost but believe me it was expensive..
    it all started with leaving food in the boot... !!

squod wrote: »
    Rats do get into cars seen it twice. Put a cat into it overnight,

No, don't do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Blow its head off with a shotgun.......or put a trap in it with peanut butter on it.
    Doubt its a rat....99% sure it would be a mouse.
    if you can get the end of your middle inger in a hole then the mouse will fit in. have a look round under the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

These rodents are usually brought into a car in bags that are taken for recycling

Its definitely a mouse, set traps overnight, no sign of it yet, it got into the back seat of the car from the boot,so having to clean the entire car out now. Thanks for all the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

aujopimur wrote: »
    These rodents are usually brought into a car in bags that are taken for recycling

This information is too much to take. I am really scared now :eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement