Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does it get better?

Options
  • 10-12-2009 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I got the boxset for my birthday from my aunty. I've heard good things about the series but I have to say the first episode bored me and I wasn't impressed overall. Maybe it gets better???

I hope so because I'll have to report back to my aunty about how great a gift it was.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's not The Shield or CSI, there isn't a killing or near-miss in every episode (actually there are a ****ing lot of killings) and there isn't a crime solved in every episode. It builds up a story over time, it's realistic, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

yeah it does get better - it's slowish but you will get into it
    2nd series is not great!
    but it's the best tv since the sopranos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

juanyjuans wrote: »
    I got the boxset for my birthday from my aunty. I've heard good things about the series but I have to say the first episode bored me and I wasn't impressed overall. Maybe it gets better???
    Nah, it's pretty crap really and way over-rated.
    CSI Miami is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Nah, it's pretty crap really and way over-rated.
    CSI Miami is much better.

Tell me that was a joke...before I go postal...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

tvnutz wrote: »
    Tell me that was a joke...before I go postal...:p
    Of course it's not a joke.*

Horatio is a much better cop than McNulty. Rawl's biggest mistake was not to transfer 'H' up from Miama for an episode.

After a couple of pithy one-liners coupled with a few sunglasses off/sunglasses on maneouvers he'd have Stinger, Avon and Marlo all banged-up along with all that flashy, technical evidency stuff plus a signed confession from all three as they wonder at H's obvious brilliance.

Of course the entire 5 seasons of the Wire would then only be reduced to one episode but them's the breaks.

*Might not be true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah OP it gets better

It's a cliche at this stage to say about the Wire that it starts slow, but you won't be able to stop after 4 or 5 episodes.

Stick with it, totally worth it

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I watched the first episode a few months ago with the missus and had intended watching all of them with her but she never really liked it and I wasn't too impressed with the first episode either so I kinda forgot about it. After numerous people telling me it was the best TV show ever I finally got round to watching the rest on my own and got through all 5 seasons in 2 weeks. As far as I'm concerned it is the best TV show ever. Some of the best writing, the best characters, amazing acting and probably the most realistic show I've ever seen. Well worth sticking with it. You won't be disappointed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Badboy1977

I have almost come to the end of season one and I dont think its that good. A number of reasons
    1. The Lingo is off putting-its hard to understand. I know this makes it realistic but there should be subtitles
    2. The pace is too slow-again I know its not a wham bam thank you mam drama but the pace is glacial.
    3. The Characters are just not engaging. I have no feel for Barksdale-no motivation is ever really spelt out. I liked Mcnulty but that was about all.
    Thank God I only got season one. I think I would prefer prison time to more of this! I stuck to the end because Im a cheap bastard and didnt want to waste it. It beats Coronation street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's not for everyone I guess

Sure 3% of people on IMDB didn't like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Without sounding arrogant, I think a lot of it goes over peoples heads.

Because there is so much to it, and it demands/deserves full attention, I think a lot of people just aren't up to it.

Can't see Harvard having a module based on CSI Miami, somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

1. The Lingo is off putting-its hard to understand. I know this makes it realistic but there should be subtitles
    2. The pace is too slow-again I know its not a wham bam thank you mam drama but the pace is glacial.
    3. The Characters are just not engaging. I have no feel for Barksdale-no motivation is ever really spelt out. I liked Mcnulty but that was about all.

1. I don't think it's that hard to understand, ok there are a lot of unfamiliar slang terms but it's not too difficult to figure out what they mean. Also I really recommend watching each series twice - you pick up so much more the second time!!
    2. True if it's an action series you want you're in the wrong place
    3. Everyone has their favourite and least favourite characters. I've never met anyone whose favourite was Barksdale. Don't see how anyone can fail to find Omar engaging though!

Anyway as Dave says it's not for everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭The Valley

Best television series ever, I too was not very impressed at the begining but you have to give it time, trust me by the end of series one you will be hooked.

as for CSI Miami - your havin a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

There's no subtitles on the DVDs? :confused:

TBH I think anyone who can't get a feel for Barksdale etc. has problems with empathising and/or grew up in a very sheltered environment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

amacachi wrote: »
    There's no subtitles on the DVDs? :confused:

There is.

I think Im the lucky one I got into the WIRE on the first episode. Most people seem to take six or seven episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Don't see how anyone can fail to find Omar engaging though!

+1 :D

OP, stick with it, it is a bit slow to start with alright but once you get into it its top drawer stuff. I'm just coming to the end of the final series at the moment and its been a flippin deadly programme! Wish there was more to watch.

And seriously, omar is a pure legend.....you feelin me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I just finished watching the last series over the weekend. It wasn't until season 5 that i got proper hooked. It took me 3 or 4 attempts to finish the first season. Quite enjoyed season two, but took me a while to get through it. The only 'cant sleep now, need to see what happens in next episode' moment in the whole of the first series was
    when Greggs got shot

By and large, i enjoyed it but I think it is over hyped, it wouldn't be in my top 5 shows anyway.

I found The Shield way more entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭rochie16

It doesnt get better. If you didnt like the first episode, you wont like it. I personally was hooked from the pre-credits scene in the first episode... and that was before i could have been influenced by every other fool claiming it as the best show in history... it is though :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

rochie16 wrote: »
    It doesnt get better. If you didnt like the first episode, you wont like it. I personally was hooked from the pre-credits scene in the first episode... and that was before i could have been influenced by every other fool claiming it as the best show in history... it is though :-)
    Ignore this.

It most certainly does get better. The first season is good, the second season even better, and seasons three and four are without doubt the greatest pieces of television I've ever seen. By season 3 and 4, we have been introduced to Baltimore, its characters, how things work etc. and everything comes together. Combine this with the Mayor's office, the downfall of the Barksdale organisation and the rise of the Stanfield crew and the election campaign in season 4 and the education system, the four youngsters etc. And throw Omar into the iddle of it all. It's unquestionably the greatest tv show ever imo. Give it a chance. Keep with it. You won't regret it when you go back to watch the whole thing every few months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

K4t wrote: »
    Ignore this.

It most certainly does get better. The first season is good, the second season even better, and seasons three and four are without doubt the greatest pieces of television I've ever seen. By season 3 and 4, we have been introduced to Baltimore, its characters, how things work etc. and everything comes together. Combine this with the Mayor's office, the downfall of the Barksdale organisation and the rise of the Stanfield crew and the election campaign in season 4 and the education system, the four youngsters etc. And throw Omar into the iddle of it all. It's unquestionably the greatest tv show ever imo. Give it a chance. Keep with it. You won't regret it when you go back to watch the whole thing every few months or so.

Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I still think the fact that the pace and development of the series is deeper and slower than the majority of "Big Mac" crime dramas means that there is a fair percentage of people who are simply "below" The Wire and won't get it because they just aren't up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

After being recomended this show by a couple of people I said i'd give it a whirl, during the first episode i feel asleep!

A few weeks later and im out of stuff to watch i decide sure i'll give it a second chance, and watched the rest of ep 1 , it was ok, but i was pretty bored so i decided to keep watching

And man am i glad i did! Its an awesome show, just finished season 1 and moved onto 2 now (which is a bit slow in starting too, but im going to bery very patient with the show from here on in!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Its an awesome show, just finished season 1 and moved onto 2 now (which is a bit slow in starting too, but im going to bery very patient with the show from here on in!)

It's a good idea to approach all seasons that way. I found season 3 extremely slow, it was only really in the last few episodes that I really got into it, but once I did ... wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

After being recomended this show by a couple of people I said i'd give it a whirl, during the first episode i feel asleep!

A few weeks later and im out of stuff to watch i decide sure i'll give it a second chance, and watched the rest of ep 1 , it was ok, but i was pretty bored so i decided to keep watching

And man am i glad i did! Its an awesome show, just finished season 1 and moved onto 2 now (which is a bit slow in starting too, but im going to bery very patient with the show from here on in!)

Pretty much every season is like that. But now you know that, you'll be watching the first few episodes knowing that it's leading to something really great.

And then the second time you watch through The Wire (and trust me, there will be a second time :D), you'll notice just how genius the first few episodes of each season are. How the smallest events which you didn't even really notice the first time became huge issues later on.

Enjoy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its hard to do what the Wire does in terms of story telling. Thats why there isnt many other shows like it and thats why it can be hard to get into.

There are very few shows I would give up after only seeing one or two of them. Like everything you need to give it a chance to see if its worth while

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

When I first started watching it I don't think I was ready to comprehend it. I was too used to the open shut nature of other shows. At the start I found it tough to keep track of which character did what but 2 or 3 episodes in when I familiarised myself with the characters and it all started to come together I was hooked

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McKuntmissioner

Best TV series ever, in my opinion. I watched the entire series in the span on ten days because I couldn't stop.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Yeah it is amazing but you have to put in some effort yourself, unlike say watching the Sopranos (and I like the Sopranos).
    You have to listen carefully and if you miss something then you will get confused later on when the story takes a twist.
    I think some people are lazy with the geneal CSI rubbish that is on Sky which is just wallpaper and you know the ending a long time before it happens. They are making you think you are being all clever but a child would easily follow the same plot.

The Wire draws you in, but you need to pay attention and if you have it on box sex then just rewind if you have one of those "What the hell just happened ?" moments. I had a few the first time I watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Gave my boxset on loan to a friend of mine yesterday because he kept hearing people on about it at work, so he said he'd give it a try.

It was weird telling him he probably won't like the show for the first few episodes, and trying to convince him to keep watching anyway, even before he's started watching it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

The best way to watch the show in my opinion is to either dedicate a full wknd to it or pull a few sick days from work. Once you get into it, you'll want to watch as many as you can in as short a space of time as possible.

I was the same watching ep1 from series1, i must have tried to watch it about 2-3 times and gave up after about 5mins each time. I still remember the first scene so well.
    ---
    "I've gotta ask you: if every time Snot Boogie would grab the money and run away... why'd you even let him in the game?"
    "What?"
    "Well, if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why'd you let him play?"
    "Got to. It's America, man."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

In my experience OP, no, it doesn't.

I usually only give shows an episode or two to grab my attention however Due to the insane hype, I watched the entire first season (and by god do those episodes drag).

mloc wrote: »
    Without sounding arrogant, I think a lot of it goes over peoples heads.

Because there is so much to it, and it demands/deserves full attention, I think a lot of people just aren't up to it.

Can't see Harvard having a module based on CSI Miami, somehow.

To me, it really does just sound arrogant.
    It mirrors what I've heard from most Wire fans upon hearing that you just didn't think a great deal of it, despite giving it your full attention.

Watching The Wire and enjoying it is actually not a sign of superiority. :P

Advertisement