Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Catholic Church really sorry?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Grand. You post suggested you felt the government hadn't it share of responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

Boston wrote: »
    I'm not saying the church is innocent. I'm not looking for a scapegoat, but by any metric you use the state is also Liable.

Thats all very well. But by saying the state is liable, it means the state has to pay. That means the taxpayer - you & me. I don't know about you but I'm certainly not responsible for any of this so I don't see why I should pay.

And to make things worse, the victims of that vile abuse are also taxpayers. Just think about it - the abused are seeing their own hard-earned tax being used to pay for church abuse.
    Thats the final insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

The Church sure as hell has enough money to pay for all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Bduffman wrote: »
    Thats all very well. But by saying the state is liable, it means the state has to pay. That means the taxpayer - you & me. I don't know about you but I'm certainly not responsible for any of this so I don't see why I should pay.

And to make things worse, the victims of that vile abuse are also taxpayers. Just think about it - the abused are seeing their own hard-earned tax being used to pay for church abuse.
    Thats the final insult.

That's always the case, isn't it? The taxpayer ends up paying for the misdeeds of the State?

The State could have acted like most other civilised nations and developed a genuine educational system. Instead they contracted it out to those who weren't fit to run it. Therefore the taxpayers (who voted in the politicians) end up paying for the consequences of the poor decisions made by those same politicians. Democracy in action, even if it ain't pretty!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I bet if the Roman Catholic Church checked every Sacristy, Seminary, Pulpit, Parish, Church, Cathedral, Chapel and Vatican Palatial Mansion they could almost certainly find at least one Individual who had the decency, honesty, integrity and forthrightness to stand on a Public platform and express how sorry the Church as a whole should be for physically, sexually, emotionally and brutally abusing our Children in the most obscene, evil, disgusting, cynical, predatory, unimaginable, sick, twisted, Godless, unforgivable way without it seeming as though the were simply trying to protect their own careers their own evil organisation, their own future, their own potential status, earnings and opportunities.

Perhaps then the Victims wouldn't feel like the crime is being extended, magnified, continued and worsened by the passing of each other successive day of their life sentence......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SirHenryGrattan

Who knew what in the Vatican?

Officially: The Archbishop must make a report every five years to Rome. This is known as the Ad Limina or Quinquennial Report. The latest report was delivered in October 2006, almost seven years after the previous report. This gap arose because of the ill-health of the late Pope John Paul II.

The purpose of the report is to inform Rome on the running of the Church in Ireland and, in the case of Dublin, how the Archdiocese is faring. Archbishop Martin has told the Commission that these reports were effectively in response to questionnaires that Rome presented to the Archbishop. He said he had looked at a number of these reports which went from the Dublin Archdiocese to Rome.

The first 'official' reference to child sexual abuse which he discovered was contained in the last report of Archbishop Connell, which was written in 1999.

Archbishop Martin told the Commission that, in a 100 page document, there were ten lines that dealt with the question of child sexual abuse in the Archdiocese. It was a very simple statement that the Archdiocese had gone through a difficult time, that there had been allegations of child sexual abuse and that priests had been convicted. He said that no statistics on child sexual abuse were furnished in the report.

Archbishop Martin said that the current policy, as far as he is concerned, is that at the conclusion of a preliminary investigation into an allegation of child sexual abuse, he sends a summary of the facts to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF), asking how it should be dealt with canonically.

This was not the practice of previous Archbishops even though it appears to have been a mandatory requirement of canon law at least since 1917. This mandatory requirement was re-iterated in the 2002 document Sacramentorum Sanctitatis Tutela.

From the Commission Report it appears Archbishop McQuaid was keen to avoid Rome being informed of abuse by priests in the archdiocese.

Wonder what happened the sex offender files or were these files actually sent?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SirHenryGrattan

MrPudding wrote: »
    Of course they should be prosecuted, but they should also be removed from their position. Can you imagine if this was any other industry, the leisure industry for example. If there was a comapny running kids birthday parties and it was discovered that the workers were abusing the kids and the managers were covering it up, do you think those workers and managers would still be working with kids? Do you think that company would astill be in business?

MrP

I totally agree. At least the COE sack errant vicars.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3459291/Armed-forces-vicar-banned-from-church-for-affair-with-married-woman.html

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

PDN wrote: »
    That's always the case, isn't it? The taxpayer ends up paying for the misdeeds of the State?

The State could have acted like most other civilised nations and developed a genuine educational system. Instead they contracted it out to those who weren't fit to run it. Therefore the taxpayers (who voted in the politicians) end up paying for the consequences of the poor decisions made by those same politicians. Democracy in action, even if it ain't pretty!

Again all very well, but why does the state pay for its misdeeds by MONEY - our money.
    The RCC has plenty to cover the cost in monetary terms.
    The state should pay by cleaning up the mess it let happen by taking education away from the RCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The revelations, exposure and behaviour of the Catholic church in this country has had one very positive benefit for me. It has opened my eyes and made me question these people and the Faith they profess. Their church, it's rices and wealth represents nothing of the sacrifice Jesus made for humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

The revelations, exposure and behaviour of the Catholic church in this country has had one very positive benefit for me. It has opened my eyes and made me question these people and the Faith they profess. Their church, it's rices and wealth represents nothing of the sacrifice Jesus made for humanity.

A real man of God would never spend his days test driving new Toyotas and raping Children........ The People we have had amongst us that us Irish as a Nation once looked up have shown themselves to be the lowest Scum in existence.

On a more positive note - I was really encouraged to read again about the Franciscan Monks (US originally) living in Moyross in Limerick (Hugely disadvantaged area) they held a Nativity Play recently complete with roman soldiers on Horseback - which in Limerick is not a problem for the local 12 year olds!!!!

From what I can see these Guys are giving up their lives entirely to do some good in a Community that needs some help - I saw them interviewed on the Late Late years ago and while I am not in the least bit religious they won over my respect on every level - Its a huge pity that religion in Ireland has not had anything to do with basic common decency for so long :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭GLUEY

Yes, sorry they were caught!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

so we're all agreed then.

The Church sacrificed the kids for money.

If they were really "sorry" then they would rip up the contract that protects their money.

Advertisement