Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Catholic Church really sorry?

Options
  • 09-12-2009 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

I notice the bishops are asking for forgiveness today and are "shamed by the extent to which child sexual abuse was covered up in the archdiocese of Dublin"

Are they sorry enough to rip up the contract that limits the churches liability to €100 million to compensate the victims?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

zod wrote: »
    I notice the bishops are asking for forgiveness today and are "shamed by the extent to which child sexual abuse was covered up in the archdiocese of Dublin"

Are they sorry enough to rip up the contract that limits the churches liability to €100 million to compensate the victims?

I think you're confusing two things. Being sorry is not the same as opening yourself up to unlimited liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

PDN wrote: »
    I think you're confusing two things. Being sorry is not the same as opening yourself up to unlimited liability.

From Wikipedia
    The word penance derives from Old French and Latin poenitentia, both of which derive from the same root meaning repentance, the desire to be forgiven.....Often, penitential acts consist simply of prayers, fasting, charitable work or giving, or a combination thereof. Such penance is frequently accompanied by a requirement for the penitent to be reconciled with anyone against whom he or she has sinned.

The liability has been caused by members of the church .. tell me why do you think it should be limited and the Irish people made pay the difference ( 1 Billion ) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

So do you want to talk about being sorry, or about penance? The two are distinct concepts.
    The liability has been caused by members of the church .. tell me why do you think it should be limited and the Irish people made pay the difference ( 1 Billion ) ?
    Tell me, why do you jump to unwarranted and untrue assumptions about what I think?

I would be perfectly happy for the Catholic Church (of which I am not a member) to pay what liability is due to the last farthing. I fail to see how anything I posted could suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I wouldn't say the liability is unlimited, if they were truly sorry they'd allow themselves to be fully liable for the suffering that they caused. It just seems unlimited because they caused so very much suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Because the state was more at fault than the Church.

The Church doesn't run the guards or the courts. That's who had the primary responsibility when crimes were committed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

jhegarty wrote: »

The Church doesn't run the guards or the courts. That's who had the primary responsibility when crimes were committed.

I accept that the state should bear some responsibility but in fairness the people who bear primary responsibility are the rapists and organisation they belonged to that did everything they could to cover it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 georgelowden

how come these guys are not in jail/court..
    harboring a criminal is also an offense....?

So do you want to talk about being sorry, or about penance? The two are distinct concepts.

The linked article is titled "Irish bishops ask for forgiveness"

I even showed how both concepts are related with a quote on the definition :

The word penance ... [comes from] the desire to be forgiven... usually accompanied by a requirement for the penitent to be reconciled with anyone against whom he or she has sinned

Are you saying that we can take seriously the Churches desire to be forgiven and at the same time their refusal to do penance?

How very Christian.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The short answer to the question, if you refer to the hierarchy is an emphatic no.

NB most of those they offended against are of course - or -were. also part of the Catholic Church.

But assuming you do mean the Bishops?

No; their only sorrow is that they have been found out.

I write as someone who loves Holy Mother Church but is appalled at the events here in Ireland now.

Really, from their behaviour, they are truly not Catholic, or Christian.

And never underestimate the power the Church has held over eg the Gardai and State organisations and the deference they showed the the Church.

The Church was the instigator.

And unless we see this and look it full in the face ? Nothing will improve.

One of the prosecutions of a priest mentioned in the report only happened because a lower officer in the Gardai knew that if he sent the reports higher up, the charges would vanish.

The clerical whispers site is a good one to keep in touch on this.

http://clericalwhispers.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-12-10T00%3A00%3A00Z

By the way, I am a Historian working on a book re the Church in Ireland in this first decade of the 21st century.

So their words just now really cannot be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

jhegarty wrote: »

This is, of course, utter rubbish. The church is the organisation responsible for the persons that carried out the rapes. This same church is also responsible for actively, institutionally and systematically covering up the rapes and by doing so, causing more children to be raped. They actively took part in the abuse.

The government did nothing. That in itself is wrong, but failing to act, in this case, is not worse than the action that were taken by the church. Appalling? Yes. Cowardly? Yes. Worse than raping children, covering that up and putting more children at risk? No.

MRP

• Advertisement

This is what many of us within the Church are asking; also how come they are not being sacked?

In any other walk of life they would be.

There should be no difference.

how come these guys are not in jail/court..
    harboring a criminal is also an offense....?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

From the Vatican Information Service Bulletin:
    IRISH BISHOPS MEET WITH POPE

VATICAN CITY, 11 DEC 2009 (VIS) - The Holy See Press Office released the following English-language communique at midday today:

"Today the Holy Father held a meeting with senior Irish bishops and high-ranking members of the Roman Curia. He listened to their concerns and discussed with them the traumatic events that were presented in the Irish Commission of Investigation's Report into the Catholic Archdiocese of Dublin.

"After careful study of the report, the Holy Father was deeply disturbed and distressed by its contents. He wishes once more to express his profound regret at the actions of some members of the clergy who have betrayed their solemn promises to God, as well as the trust placed in them by the victims and their families, and by society at large.

"The Holy Father shares the outrage, betrayal and shame felt by so many of the faithful in Ireland, and he is united with them in prayer at this difficult time in the life of the Church.

"His Holiness asks Catholics in Ireland and throughout the world to join him in praying for the victims, their families and all those affected by these heinous crimes.

"He assures all concerned that the Church will continue to follow this grave matter with the closest attention in order to understand better how these shameful events came to pass and how best to develop effective and secure strategies to prevent any recurrence.

"The Holy See takes very seriously the central issues raised by the report, including questions concerning the governance of local Church leaders with ultimate responsibility for the pastoral care of children.

"The Holy Father intends to address a Pastoral Letter to the faithful of Ireland in which he will clearly indicate the initiatives that are to be taken in response to the situation.

"Finally, His Holiness encourages all those who have dedicated their lives in generous service to children to persevere in their good works in imitation of Christ the Good Shepherd".

Kelly1;these are fine words, but they do not address the real problems.

This is a political move; crimes were committed and the Vatican knew this decades ago and did nothing.

In fact, this response, as it seems that no actions are being taken against the Bishops who committed these abominations, makes the situation much worse.

Had there been any real sorrow, the Bishops would have simply stood down of their own accord, or been sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

kelly1 wrote: »
    From the Vatican Information Service Bulletin:

Has the Pope ever made a personal and corporate apology in front of the worlds press? It seems that this would be far more dramatic and meaningful gesture than a thousand 3rd-person expression of regrets ever could.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Graces7 wrote: »
    Kelly1;these are fine words, but they do not address the real problems.

This is a political move; crimes were committed and the Vatican knew this decades ago and did nothing.

In fact, this response, as it seems that no actions are being taken against the Bishops who committed these abominations, makes the situation much worse.

Had there been any real sorrow, the Bishops would have simply stood down of their own accord, or been sacked.

Yes. For any real healing to begin it seems to me that the Church has to take some very public and very painful actions against itself.

Exactly so ; and of course not.

Because that would be an admission of guilt that may well have legal repercussions, as it should do.

And I came back to say that; and this is how the press are reacting.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/pope-stops-short-of-outright-apology-for-clerical-abuse-437896.html

The vatican is a political organisation; that statement will have been carefully prepared for the Pope by lawyers and advisers; as he as Ratzinger used to prepare statements for John Paul 2.

Another nail in the coffin of the Irish Catholic Church. And I write from
    within the Church.
    Has the Pope ever made a personal and corporate apology in front of the worlds press? It seems that this would be far more dramatic and meaningful gesture than a thousand 3rd-person expression of regrets ever could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Yes. For any real healing to begin it seems to me that the Church has to take some very public and very painful actions against itself.

Not likely under the current Pope since cover up was a policy of the vatican
    The Vatican instructed Catholic bishops around the world to cover up cases of sexual abuse or risk being thrown out of the Church.
    The Observer has obtained a 40-year-old confidential document from the secret Vatican archive which lawyers are calling a 'blueprint for deception and concealment'.

Granted this is an old policy, but the current pope was enforcing it until recently.
    Lawyers point to a letter the Vatican sent to bishops in May 2001 clearly stating the 1962 instruction was in force until then. The letter is signed by Cardinal Ratzinger

I wonder should these public and painful actions include the resignation of the Pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

What I find strange is that the main call from the public/media seems to be for bishops to resign orf be removed from their positions. If someone in any other walk of life commits a crime, their employment status is hardly the main concern. Shouldn't they be prosecuted?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Bduffman wrote: »
    What I find strange is that the main call from the public/media seems to be for bishops to resign orf be removed from their positions. If someone in any other walk of life commits a crime, their employment status is hardly the main concern. Shouldn't they be prosecuted?
    Of course they should be prosecuted, but they should also be removed from their position. Can you imagine if this was any other industry, the leisure industry for example. If there was a comapny running kids birthday parties and it was discovered that the workers were abusing the kids and the managers were covering it up, do you think those workers and managers would still be working with kids? Do you think that company would astill be in business?

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

What I find strange is that the main call from the public/media seems to be for bishops to resign or be removed from their positions. If someone in any other walk of life commits a crime, their employment status is hardly the main concern. Shouldn't they be prosecuted?
    Of course, if they committed an offence in law. But they should resign anyway. Even if they did or meant no harm, they should do it for the Church, as a sacrifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Resigning isn't enough of a sacrifice in my view.

Everyone of them that committed crimes and helped cover it up deserve to be in jail and lose their priesthood or whatever status they have.

It's almost like people have become de-sensitised to it all.
    People get use to seeing violence on TV not much shocks people anymore.

If people actually really read into all of this, the cold brutal facts there would be more done. But as outraged as the public are, they simply don't want to hear the horrible details.
    Half the time I think this country has no fight left in it.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

Michael G wrote: »
    Of course, if they committed an offence in law. But they should resign anyway. Even if they did or meant no harm, they should do it for the Church, as a sacrifice.

My point is that in most other professions / employment, a person convicted of a crime like this would probably be sacked anyway as a matter of course. It wouldn't be left up to the individual to decide his own fate regarding his employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SirHenryGrattan

My point is that in most other professions / employment, a person convicted of a crime like this would probably be sacked anyway as a matter of course. It wouldn't be left up to the individual to decide his own fate regarding his employment.

Well the RCC also tolerates active homosexual priests which is totally against their own teachings. So I suggest the Bishops overall judgement is a bit iffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The Church is sorry - sorry it's been exposed, sorry for it's dwindling power, sorry for the money it will lose, sorry that the 'good old days are gone' and sorry that it's no longer above the law. But is it genuinely sorry to it's victims and the Irish people? absolutely not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 IrelandsBishops

As a Life long Catholic aged 54, I take the apologies of the Irish Bishops with a pinch of salt. I personally witnessed brutal corporal punishment by [snip] during my boarding school days in Holy Cross College ,in Falcarragh Co. Donegal. He was recently quoted in the press that he had enough to be getting on with without going back on what happened 30 years ago.,,,is it any wonder he doesn't want the past investigated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Well the state was at fault also. On paper there was quiet a strict review of these homes for boys and girls by state officials. The state was arm in arm with the church in covering up and simply ignoring the abuse. Everyone and their cat knew what was happening in those places, the only surprise was the scale of it.

Boston wrote: »
    Well the state was at fault also. On paper there was quiet a strict review of these homes for boys and girls by state officials. The state was arm in arm with the church in covering up and simply ignoring the abuse. Everyone and their cat knew what was happening in those places, the only surprise was the scale of it.

And society was to blame and the newspapers and the blah, blah.. BLAH, they can all be sued to maximum extent of the law.

The priests did it. FACT

The church knew about and covered it up. FACT

The church refused to participate with any investigation until they were safely protected by a contract that limited their liability. FACT

Nobody else is protected, not the state, not the schools, not the media.

NOW they're sorry ? While the pope himself hides behind legalise ?*

It was always about the money. That being the case then we should take every last penny off them.

*The documentary presented by child abuse survivor and Executive Director of Amnesty International Ireland revealed how the then Cardinal Ratzinger wrote to Catholic bishops in 2001 to remind them of the penalties for leaking details of inquiries into offences such as clerical sex abuse
    The then cardinal issued a secret Vatican edict to Catholic bishops all over the world, instructing them to put the Church's interests ahead of child safety, the BBC reported.
    The document recommended that rather than reporting sexual abuse to the relevant legal authorities, bishops should encourage the victim, witnesses and perpetrator not to talk about it.
    To keep victims quiet, it threatened that if they repeated the allegations they would be excommunicate, the report said.
    - Article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

And society was to blame and the newspapers and the blah, blah.. BLAH, they can all be sued to maximum extent of the law.

The priests did it. FACT

The church knew about and covered it up. FACT

The church refused to participate with any investigation until they were safely protected by a contract that limited their liability. FACT

Nobody else is protected, not the state, not the schools, not the media.

NOW they're sorry ? While the pope himself hides behind legalise ?*

It was always about the money. That being the case then we should take every last penny off them.

*The documentary presented by child abuse survivor and Executive Director of Amnesty International Ireland revealed how the then Cardinal Ratzinger wrote to Catholic bishops in 2001 to remind them of the penalties for leaking details of inquiries into offences such as clerical sex abuse
    The then cardinal issued a secret Vatican edict to Catholic bishops all over the world, instructing them to put the Church's interests ahead of child safety, the BBC reported.
    The document recommended that rather than reporting sexual abuse to the relevant legal authorities, bishops should encourage the victim, witnesses and perpetrator not to talk about it.
    To keep victims quiet, it threatened that if they repeated the allegations they would be excommunicate, the report said.
    - Article

The state is directly Liable FACT
    The state had a duty of care to these children FACT
    State officals inspected the various "homes" on a regular basis FACT
    There was collusion between government officials and the church to repress evidence of sexual abuse FACT

I'm not saying the church is innocent. I'm not looking for a scapegoat, but by any metric you use the state is also Liable.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    I'm not saying the church is innocent. I'm not looking for a scapegoat, but by any metric you use the state is also Liable.

we know that.

the state is not protected and will be made pay

the church is protected and is not being made PROPERLY liable.

Advertisement