Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric FM - General Discussion Thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I know it's been a while since we talked about this, but I thought this was a good letter in today's Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/index.html#1224279094679

I confess, I'm one of those people who hardly listens to Lyric anymore, now I listen to classical music on my i-pod. It's handy for the car. Though I'd love a good classical radio station, no big ego chat please. We don't particularly need big names of people who used to work in RTE, just knowledgeable presenters. Though I do like the soothing tones of John Kelly...

You - out of my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

I know it's been a while since we talked about this, but I thought this was a good letter in today's Irish Times:

That letter was in response to this article by Arminta Wallace two days ago:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...278889466.html

Overall, Wallace paints a pretty positive picture of Lyric FM. I learnt one interesting fact about the station, which is that its most popular programme is Niall Carroll's Classic Drive (not Drivetime as the article states). Having tuned into this programme a number of times, I have been pleasantly surprised at its apparent classical music only policy. At least I have never heard any other kind of music being played.

According to the Lyric FM web site, Carroll used to present on FM3 so perhaps he is not just a generic DJ who happens to play classical music because that is what his producer wants.

In any event, if Lyric's most popular show broadcasts only classical music, why does the station persist in transmitting a musical hodge podge on some of its other daytime programmes? Surely one thousand years of western classical music could generate a lenghty playlist consisting of pieces, familiar and unfamiliar, that would hold an audience throughout the day and, hopefully, avoid the hoary old 'favourites' such as the Moonlight Sonata, etc. As it is, are Paul Herriott's listeners going to stay tuned for Marty at Midday? Do the same people listen to both Marty and John Kelly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Well intended thread resurrection for those who may not have known that it was once possible to discuss the state of Lyric FM without an exclusive focus on Marty Whelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Well intended thread resurrection for those who may not have known that it was once possible to discuss the state of Lyric FM without an exclusive focus on Marty Whelan.

And gay byrne, frank mcnamara , and roll it there roisin...

Sandwlch wrote: »

You didn't read the last page, did you? ;)

• Advertisement

What is interesting, though, is I don't know anybody who listens to Lyric. You'd think that, given the types of circles I and other users of this forum hang out in, that we'd at least know someone, but the station seems to be that much of a joke.

You'd think that, given the abysmal audience ratings, they'd try some experimentation to bring in new listeners, but it really just seems more and more to just be a pasture for retired Radio 1 presenters.

The only time I've tuned in in the last year was to hear a concert I couldn't catch in the NCH. That's been it. There has literally been no other reason for me to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

....pasture for retired Radio 1 presenters.

In a nutshell,

although management would probably see this as a way of attracting the 'mary from mayo' listener...

They should shift 'em off to 2fm though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

What is interesting, though, is I don't know anybody who listens to Lyric. You'd think that, given the types of circles I and other users of this forum hang out in, that we'd at least know someone, but the station seems to be that much of a joke.

That's really unfair. Lyric's management might impose pretend Terry Wogans on the station, but they still have people like Liz, Niall, Lorcan and Trish. Professional, skilled broadcasters with a love of the genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Dirigent wrote: »
    That's really unfair. Lyric's management might .... Professional, skilled broadcasters with a love of the genre.

I have just come upon this thread, and I feel I am in a position to contribute to a fairer understanding of the situation. RTE Lyric FM is reaching a wide-ranging audience at different times of the day, with a subtly changing station identity as the day progresses. It serves many different groups in different ways. In the evening, it serves the professional musician, the music educator, the interested and well-informed amateur. In the middle of the day, it takes a softer line, with palatable and easily assimilated material, whether the light concerts of In Tempo, or the magazine of music from John, or Liz's inspired and inspiring interaction with the mass of the general public over lunchtime.

Its most inventive strand, of course, at least on weekdays, is Marty in the Morning; here, as "Dirigent" describes RTE Lyric FM, we have a "professional skilled broadcaster[...] with a love [of music]" effortlessly transcending all artificial boundaries between different musical genres. By reeling in the audience, musically speaking, Marty Whelan lays each morning the foundation of the RTE Lyric FM audience for the day ahead. His joyous blend of wit and banter, news and flights of fancy, with appropriate musical interludes, provides that decompression chamber that the nation needs, as we struggle to take the coming day by the throat. His is high-end Public Service Broadcasting at its very best, and something that is likely to be copied by similar classical-cum-easy-listening radio stations across the globe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Hi Marty! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Its most inventive strand, of course, at least on weekdays, is Marty in the Morning; here, as "Dirigent" describes RTE Lyric FM, we have a "professional skilled broadcaster[...] with a love [of music]" effortlessly transcending all artificial boundaries between different musical genres

Hugo, kindly do not quote my post if you are going to blatantly misrepresent my point.

Hugo, kindly do not quote my post if you are going to blatantly misrepresent my point.

Did I do that? You may be assured that, if so, it was entirely inadvertent. I have become aware that many readers like brevity, so I always endeavour to truncate.

However, the larger point holds: Marty in the Morning is sui generis and for that we are truly thankful.

I apologise for any inadvertent error on my part. The original post in full was as below:
    That's really unfair. Lyric's management might impose pretend Terry Wogans on the station, but they still have people like Liz, Niall, Lorcan and Trish. Professional, skilled broadcasters with a love of the genre.

Hi Marty! ;)

Ohayo gozaimasu! Moderating from Kanazawa, I see: a most lovely city, in my experience, and a fine university. But is doing it from there taking Moderation too far?

However, the larger point holds: Marty in the Morning is sui generis and for that we are truly thankful.

Out of interest, HBB, who is this "we" you're referring to?

Out of interest, HBB, who is this "we" you're referring to?

"We", in this case, is "all of us" or "the plain people of Ireland who like a nice blend of soothing classical music and easy listening with some uplifting conversation with the AA Roadwatch staff and a bit of wit and humour and a minimum of bad news" or "the tens of thousands of listeners (and growing) who variously tolerate, enjoy or revel in what many or most of us consider the best, most sophisticated and most carefully engineered early morning radio show now available in Ireland and possibly in these islands". It's a big "we" with a variety of characteristics, but there we are.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TacaFail

"We", in this case, is "all of us" or "the plain people of Ireland who like a nice blend of soothing classical music and easy listening with some uplifting conversation with the AA Roadwatch staff and a bit of wit and humour and a minimum of bad news" or "the tens of thousands of listeners (and growing) who variously tolerate, enjoy or revel in what many or most of us consider the best, most sophisticated and most carefully engineered early morning radio show now available in Ireland and possibly in these islands". It's a big "we" with a variety of characteristics, but there we are.

:)

Herp derp

TacaFail wrote: »
    Herp derp

Ah, so this is the level we have now risen to. Moderation in everything I see!

I am unsure about how to respond substantively, but I shall give this matter some consideration.

(Have I ever posted anything about any person in similar terms?)

In some disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TacaFail

Herp derp!

TacaFail, this is your only warning. If you think that is an acceptable level of discourse on Classical (or on Boards generally) you'll find yourself banned very quickly from the fora. Any more nonsense in Classical and you'll be taking a holiday from here.

Advertisement