Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric FM - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Sky Arts was awesome for Mozart piano conerto concerts back when it was Performanc. As for Lyric FM, there is a limit to the number of times a day I can listen to the andante from Mozart's piano concerto in C. I refuse to name the film it's ''from'' (arg).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

banquo wrote: »
    As for Lyric FM, there is a limit to the number of times a day I can listen to the andante from Mozart's piano concerto in C. I refuse to name the film it's ''from'' (arg).

Dont think you would hear even 'The Elvira Madigan Theme' anymore. Not even sure they play Mozart at all. Mainly Frank Sinatra and Buena Vista Social Club these days.

Remember when Lyric played classical music? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Sandwich wrote: »
    'The Elvira Madigan Theme'(

I kill you now.

But seriously, I can remember a time when I was working in this poxy tiny ahop and I knew that if I rang up and asked for a movement of a Beethoven quartet there would be at least some chance of them playing it. Haven't tuned into Lyric in months tbh. It's the 'Bocelli' effect I'm afraid - more populist crap for the sake of a quick buck. And folk buy into it to feel cultured.

Lousy folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

I get the impression Lyric FM was conceived as RTE's response to the effects of the strike some years ago. Does anyone remember when all the talk radio shows like Pat Kenny were off the air for a while and they played music instead? Apparently, there was a great reaction from listeners. Obviously they could not simply get rid of Kenny, Finucane, etc., so they set up an alternative station to cater for those people who are sick of endless interviews with politicians, etc.

I like most kinds of music, but I hate it when classical pieces are intermingled with pop songs and jazz tracks. It breaks the spell. So I tend to listen to BBC Radio 3 and sometimes ClassicFM. But even Radio 3 is introducing jazz and pop into its daily breakfast show, and where would ClassicFM be without John Williams and Hans Zimmer?

I believe there is an audience out there for classical music radio if it is presented in an attractive way. I am old enough to remember Brian Boydell's programmes on RTE. He was a wonderful and enthusiastic communicator who got me hooked on the classics at an early age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

HILLARIOUS
    Did anyone see nationwide yesterday about the Monkey Sanctuary Islands.. the guy plays Lyric FM to them every night..

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0111/nationwide_av.html

Go to the monkey business section of the nationwide site...fast forward to 9 minutes in...THE ONLY MUSIC THEY DON''T GO FOR IS FRIDAY NIGHT JAZZ>>>Hillarious you can hear em all goin nuts when the jazz is playing...

so is that what separates us from the apes then .. JAZZ!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 corkage

I have tuned into Lyric for the last few sundays to hear what Gaybo is up to, and I think it's a real shame as he was one of the finest broadcasters on Irish radio ever! but he is just waffling on far too long on his links between music, he sounds like a boring old uncle talkin' to himself.....to be avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JonnyBlackrock

corkage wrote: »
    I have tuned into Lyric for the last few sundays to hear what Gaybo is up to, and I think it's a real shame as he was one of the finest broadcasters on Irish radio ever! but he is just waffling on far too long on his links between music, he sounds like a boring old uncle talkin' to himself.....to be avoided.
    Yes, a dire programme altogether. There's a limit to the number of times you can hear him going on about his pet hates (and I think that limit is 1).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

I see from the recent listenership survey (http://www.radiowaves.fm/newsart/100211jnlr.html) that Lyric's recent dumbing down has resulted in no change to their audience figures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Bummer. I was hoping it would drop and they would resume normal service.

Dirigent wrote: »
    I see from the recent listenership survey (http://www.radiowaves.fm/newsart/100211jnlr.html) that Lyric's recent dumbing down has resulted in no change to their audience figures![/QUO

That's very interesting.
    It probably means one of two things:
    1) The people who don't listen to Lyric FM won't listen to it whatever they play.
    2) The people who do listen to Lyric FM couldn't really care less what they're listing to.
    Or perhaps it's a bit of both.

• Advertisement

I see from the recent listenership survey (http://www.radiowaves.fm/newsart/100211jnlr.html) that Lyric's recent dumbing down has resulted in no change to their audience figures!
    It's difficult to interpret as the absolute listenership is so low at 3%, although it seems to be more concentrated in the bigger cities. Outside Dublin and Cork it falls to 2%.

I would imagine many people tune in at home or in the car for background music rather than to listen to a particular programme. If I'm driving I'll listen to Lyric in the hope of at least 15-20 minutes of uninterrupted classical pieces. I'm invariably disappointed. Now, with the advent of Marty Whelan, it's become impossible.

Thank God for the iPod!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

I know I'm just wasting my time complaining but I'm just going to echo some of the gearáns already posted here.

Please, put Gaybo an Marty on Radio 1 or if possible just put them out to pension.

My Sunday afternoons are ruined by Gaybo's condescending waffle.

I know that a large section of Middle Ireland consider Jazz and American Show music the ultimate in sophistication especially when presented by jokey folkey ex-djs but it's not what we tune into Lyric to hear.

Agus sin a bhfuil le rá agam faoi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I'm not hugely against Kelly though I think he's better off in an evening slot rather than middle of the day. Byrne is ok for the couple of hours a week on a Sunday and at least his show is consistent.

I did rather like Liz Nolan (knew her in her Kodaly Soc and later CNC days) and was horrified by that awful Eurovision Marty Whelan trash. The trouble with the lunchtime slot now is he is playing more or less the same MOR soft pop that Ronan Collins is over on 1. I'm surprised listenerships haven't dropped as Lyric has been reduced to the level of any old regional middle-of-road station.

To be honest the part time RTE FM3 service it replaced was far better.

Likewise I recall Boydells programming, not to mention other fine presenters like my late friend Heather Hewson and others such as the very good Maura Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I couldn't believe it! I read all the posts about Marty Whelan, but I was sure I would be able to avoid him. I switched on what I thought was Lyric FM around 1.10pm today, expecting some nice soothing classical music. The radio was playing some song by Norah Jones. Now, I do like Norah Jones, and I have a very broad range of musical tastes. I was just a bit shocked to hear it on Lyric! I've just checked the playlist on Marty's (I can't bring myself to say that name) show, and there is a very eclectic mix of middle of the road/and classical. They even played a Paul MccCartney song yesterday, weird! I am a Paul McCartney fan also (I told you I had strange tastes) and even i would say it wasn't a good song to pick.

Though to redeem themselves on Lyric, I checked into John Kelly's show later on (will I never learn?) and thought his show was a bit better.

If I wanted to listen to Gay Byrne or Marty Whelan, I'd expect them to be on RTE Radio 1. Is it because they have no room for them on RTE Radio 1? I'll add my voice to all the complaints at Lyric FM. I don't know if they will hear us, as according to the website, Marty & gaybo are very popular.

I think I'll re-tune to BBC Radio 3, thanks for the tip-off.

If I wanted to listen to Gay Byrne or Marty Whelan, I'd expect them to be on RTE Radio 1. Is it because they have no room for them on RTE Radio 1?

When Lyric FM started it seemed to be modelled on the UK station, Classic FM. Over time, however, it has become a general music station, much like BBC Radio 2. It's fine for those who use music as background ambience, but anyone who wants to hear classical music at any time, either get an iPod or tune into BBC Radio 3 or Classic FM. Neither station is totally satisfactory however. Rob Cowan is guaranteed to spoil the mood by throwing the odd jazz or pop track into his breakfast show playlist, and Classic FM has ads - some really grating.

I quite like other types of music, but it would be nice to have a station in Ireland that plays classical music throughout the day, and with DJs who know something about the pieces they are playing.

Too much to ask?

Apparently... :(

I agree with you. I had been thinking earlier, that now is the time to finally get that i-pod, and I'll also remember to bring my favourite classical CDs with me in the car.

It's a pity though, as I like listening to new classical music, and broadening my range. I would prefer non-stop music, and less of the chatter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Yeah that's the trouble I find with my mp3 I know everything on it and I've listened to most of it like 100 times.
    Kinda hard to find new stuff when you just replay the oldies over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AnnaThe

God! I have been making this exact complaint to my Father for the last while. I thought I was the only one who was horrified when I heard them on lovely Lyric.

Why do I have to hear Gaybo and Marty Whelan on Lyric? Why can't they leave those idiots on RTE 1 & 2? Are they trying to fill contractual hours? Are they the cheap option? What in God's name is going on?

Lyric FM used to be so perfect, you could turn it on at anytime and listen to decent music and a decent presenter. Marty and Gaybo love themselves so much (especially Marty) I'm surprised they have any room in their lives for family and friends.

I used to get my hair cut in PeterMarks in Stephen's Green S.C. Marty was sitting across from me a few times. He talked the WHOLE way through his haircut and blowdry. Keep in mind that it takes about 30 minutes to get your hair cut in a hairdressers as opposed to a barber. And he would have that smirk on his face as if to say 'Everybody loves me, I'm so great and this person just LOVES listening to me talk'. God just to look at him is insufferable not to mind listen to him, especially on the radio.

P.S. Do I get deleted now for calling those two twits idiots?? Have I gone too far?? :)

It's a pity Lyric is so inconsistent. They've got wonderful broadcasters, like Niall Carroll and Liz Nolan. If only they'd get rid of the likes of Whelan, Byrne and Hamilton listening would be much more pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Maybe we could do with a (sticky?) thread listing people's favourite internet classical radio stations. I'm sure there are lots of them out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

They've got wonderful broadcasters, like Niall Carroll and Liz Nolan.

Is she the one that plays Mozart and Italian opera arias all day?
    God I can't stands it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Lyric FM !!!!

What a blast from the past. I had forgotten all about it. Listened to it every day once upon a time. Havent listened to it now in months since it 'turned' bad. Amazing how quickly we forget.

Has there been any sign of a recovery in its standards at all ?

Ah no! At least she plays classical music, which is what I thought Lyric is for! I also like the musical score show, by Aedin Gormley. Also love when they play opera from the NY Met on Saturday nights.

I don't particularly want to hear middle of the road stuff on Lyric.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

I was recently given a present of a clock radio and so I have been waking up to Lyric and Liz Nolan every morning. Her choices of music are very inoffensive, not dissimilar to her Lunchtime Choice days...though this morning I was woken up by some really really irritating piece of repetitive folky 'world music' stuff. Had I have had the energy I would have turned it off!

Marty's programme is shoyte. Had my first exposure to it the other day.

Paul Herriott is great—he's on now in the morning, used to be on at night. He just plays interesting music, and also some full works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭pumpkinsoup

Liz Nolan is very easy on the ear. I could listen to her all day - regardless of what music she plays.
    AnnaThe wrote: »
    Have I gone too far?? :)
    Hardly. You left out Eileen Dunne! Every time I hear her on Lyric I feel like kicking the radio out the window. She thinks she's reading the news. She sounds like a robot plugged into an autocue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

I'm probably repeating myself here but I think it's worth fighting for.
    Lyric still does some interesting and stimulating things - live concerts from home and abroad, Met opera etc, good solid broadcasters too who don't crowd out the music with their own bull****. But the Bull**** is encroaching more and more.
    The easy thing is to go the iPod or internet radio route but to me, that's not good enough.
    RTE is a goddam public service broadcaster, I'm paying my share for it - I want a quality service with Classical music that the private sector will never provide in this country.
    I do not want to hear a cheesy gameshow host patronising me with Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell and then the Flight of the Bumble Bee and Turrets Syndrome presentation.
    If RTE management are afraid of providing such a thing, then they should just say so and step aside and let somebody else do it. Seems to me that backbone and balls are in short supply in Montrose. I will continue to complain and point out the grave error of their ways. Join me and do the same.

Frank McNamara's programme was certainly a vast improvement on Gaybo's mediocrity hour or two. For the first Sunday in ages I haven't felt the urgent need to dig out a CD box set.

Edit: oh and Happy Birthday, Lyric, and please go back to being a music and arts station, we've enough MOTR junk available across the spectrum.

Frank McNamara's programme was certainly a vast improvement on Gaybo's mediocrity hour or two. For the first Sunday in ages I haven't felt the urgent need to dig out a CD box set.

Has Gaybo finally left/been kicked out of Lyric? I've no idea as I never listen to the radio over the weekend.

This is a message taken from the website
    http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/index.html

If you have suggestions or comments about RTÉ lyric fm, you can contact the Station Head, Aodán Ó Dubhghaill.

E-mail: headoflyricfm@rte.ie

So I promise i will e-mail to complain tomorrow!

On the schedule, it still says that Gaybo is on Sunday, so you can avoid it between 2-4. Also avoid daytime between 12-2, in my opinion (Marty).

I didn't realise Eileen Dunne was presenting, it doesn't sound like I'd enjoy that. What is going on with all these new presenters? Maybe it's like redeployment in the civil service, they are trying to give them all jobs to do! Though Gaybo is past retirement age surely!

There must be a shortage of presenters with classical musical background. I suppose it's the recession. though you're right, the price of our licence fee hasn't gone down so we're still paying for the deteriorating service. Rant over.

Parts of Lyric I do like :
    John Kelly
    Liz Nolan
    Opera night
    Movies & Musicals

so it's not all bad...

• Advertisement

I know it's been a while since we talked about this, but I thought this was a good letter in today's Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/index.html#1224279094679

I confess, I'm one of those people who hardly listens to Lyric anymore, now I listen to classical music on my i-pod. It's handy for the car. Though I'd love a good classical radio station, no big ego chat please. We don't particularly need big names of people who used to work in RTE, just knowledgeable presenters. Though I do like the soothing tones of John Kelly...

Advertisement