Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yves lavigne

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Lavigne had a couple of bad events in a row earlier in the year but he's actually a very good ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Lavigne was terrible for this fight and a few others but generally he's a good ref.

Mario is by far the best ref though, consistently very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

dunkamania wrote: »
    He actually stepped in and stopped the fight, and then changed his mind. Matt Brown was stopped from hitnng Sell, and lost a further few seconds while trying to understand what Lavigne was doing. If Sell had regained his composure, and won the fight, it would have been a travesty as Brown could well have finished the fight if it hadnt been interrupted

I agree. But it was a split second decision. Lavigne thought he was stopping it too early when he looked at Sell. He felt he made a mistake & allowed it to continue. It felt right at the time & didn't look too bad a decision as Sell got up quickly to continue. Brown dished out some savage abuse & what was worse is the time it took to stop the fight the next time.

Sell is tough as old nails & took a savage beating. If Sell turned the table this argument would have been a lot different & more people would have been well p'd off with the early stoppage that was allowed to continue.

Lavigne has made some bad decisions. He's not the caliber of ref Dean or McCarthy is.

Does anyone know why McCarthy doesn't ref in the UFC anymore???

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

McCarthy stopped reffing a few years ago to become a broadcaster with The Fight Network, he couldn't combine this with reffing. I think he's done with that now, but the NSAC won't renew his licence for some reason. He reffed at a couple of the Affliction shows because they were in California and he still holds a CSAC licence.

He and Dana don't really see eye to eye over the manner of McCarthy's departue from reffing and subsequent return to the UFC's rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

McCarthy stopped reffing a few years ago to become a broadcaster with The Fight Network, he couldn't combine this with reffing. I think he's done with that now, but the NSAC won't renew his licence for some reason. He reffed at a couple of the Affliction shows because they were in California and he still holds a CSAC licence.

He and Dana don't really see eye to eye over the manner of McCarthy's departue from reffing and subsequent return to the UFC's rivals.

Cheers for that. I was wondering as I'd seen him reffing at Affliction & could it have been Strikeforce or similar? Either way. He's possibly the best & most experienced MMA ref out there. He has great awareness & anticipation. UFC need him back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement