Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yves lavigne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

This is the sort of ****e that gives MMA a bad name and its 100% the refs fault and not the sports-Lavigne should have been sacked after that or at least suspended..

There is very few good refs in the UFC tbh..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭peter p

Ye I remember watching this fight, it was horrible to watch, also if you seen dana's blog he went absolutley nuts, screaming in to the cage to stop the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maharg92

i can remember watching this wondering why the ref wasn't stopping it and shouting at the tv for him to stop it

but man i hate yves lavigne its not like this is even the only fight he#s made a bad decision in

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

I remember watching that live and screaming at the TV. It's still hard to watch now. After the knock down, Sell was fighting on instinct and doing very little defending.

Disgraceful decision by Lavigne, how can you justify standing someone up after stopping Brown attacking. Fight should have ended there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Brown turns to the ref how many times to get him to stop it aswell.

disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Ive never seen this before. Shocking. When was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Ive never seen that before. It was hard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Ive never seen this before. Shocking. When was it?

Happened in March at UFC 96.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Man that is dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Since then I've seen him stop fights a bit early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

Forgot how brutal that was!! Could question his corner for not throwing the towel in as well??!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

cowzerp wrote: »
    There is very few good refs in the UFC tbh..

There are no refs in the UFC. Refs are provided by the state athletic commissions.

That fight was featured in one of Dana's blogs. It shows him at octagon side screaming for the fight to be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

mooeire wrote: »
    Forgot how brutal that was!! Could question his corner for not throwing the towel in as well??!

And Pete Sell for not tapping, but the blame for that beating is with the ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I remember watching that. Outrageous refereeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

mooeire wrote: »

I'm pretty sure throwing in the towel is against the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Killme00 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure throwing in the towel is against the rules.

That's the point though. Throwing in the towel results in DQ of the fighter and thus the fight ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

Do MMA refs have to write a report on fights for the athletic commssion?, cause if they do Id like to see Lavignes report on the Brown Sell fight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

What state did this take place in? In some states, throwing the towel is banned to prevent fight fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

There are no refs in the UFC. Refs are provided by the state athletic commissions..

Yawn :o, i never said provided by the UFC i said in the UFC and they are if they ref the fights as lavigne does.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Listen, I know that this was a terrible job done by Yves.
    And that it was a complete disgrace that nothing came from this.

But is there any reason for it's posting here, more than 9 months after the event?!

As bad as that was, there have been few complaints about Yves since then.
    (Except for the Nover Bradley issue in May.)
    He messed up badly, and it shouldn't be forgotten or anything, but when I saw the thread I assumed this was somenting new, not just the same thing from last March.

I mean the guy hasn't hid from his mistake like.
    I did let Mr. Sell take maybe -- not maybe -- I let him take a beating for absolutely nothing," he told The Canadian Press. "So I didn't do my job properly. So basically, I screwed up. I screwed up and I'm going to learn from it and try not to do it again. ... I'm going to make sure not to do it again.

And lets take a minute to take all this in context here people.
    Seeing as a lot of ye don't remember the event, I'm sure most of ye don't remember that this only drew as the worst reffing decision of the evening.
    The dubious honour of joining this went to the first fight that evening.

In the first fight, Aaron Riley was "knocked out" by Shane Nelson after 44 seconds.
    The ref, Rick Fike I believe, literally stopped the fight after a punch was thrown, even though everyone and their blind mother could see that Riley was in no trouble.

There ensued about 5-10 minutes of the whole crowd booing, which clearly effected Yves in the fight.

It's in no way an excuse, but people seem to forget that Yves with the exception of about 3/4 big mistakes, was concidered one of the best in the business for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I remember thinking at the time about the last time I see yves was at the event before when he stopped Josh Koscheck. Some might say it was an early stoppage, I certainly would have let Josh take another punch or two when he was down :). Maybe this was on his mind well that was my thoughts at the time??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭peter p

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    I remember thinking at the time about the last time I see yves was at the event before when he stopped Josh Koscheck. Some might say it was an early stoppage, I certainly would have let Josh take another punch or two when he was down :). Maybe this was on his mind well that was my thoughts at the time??
    ye, i also wouldve liken kos to get a couple more shots, just because i dont like him tho!:) haha

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gsp119

I've never seen a ref wait that long in the ufc to stop a fight, its pretty uncommon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I didn't think it was that bad at all. He was disoriented but never out and towards the end he did have his hands up. I agree that it should have been stopped but I understand why Yves Lavigne let it go on. Besides, his corner had the option to throw in the towel at any and they didn't which leads me to believe that they still thought he was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Valmont wrote: »
    I didn't think it was that bad at all. He was disoriented but never out and towards the end he did have his hands up. I agree that it should have been stopped but I understand why Yves Lavigne let it go on. Besides, his corner had the option to throw in the towel at any and they didn't which leads me to believe that they still thought he was in it.
    This is against the rules
    UFC.com wrote:
    Fouls:
    31. Throwing in the towel during competition
    Also I think he was more then just disorientated.He seemed to be more completely out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

This is against the rules

thats why the fight gets stopped. THe towel has no real meaning with regards to stopping a fight, it has become the signal that you want the fight to stop, but it is essentially just a method of foul thjat doesn't injure anybody, and requires the ref to stop the bout. It could actually be any object

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

cletus wrote: »
    thats why the fight gets stopped. THe towel has no real meaning with regards to stopping a fight, it has become the signal that you want the fight to stop, but it is essentially just a method of foul thjat doesn't injure anybody, and requires the ref to stop the bout. It could actually be any object
    :confused:
    I know this but im confused why you explained it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

It appeard to me in your previous post that you believed that the corner did not throw in the towel because it was against the rules

I've met people before who think that throwing in the towel has some special significance in boxing, kickboxing etc. as if there were a rule stating that the fight could be ended by placing a towel in the ring, rather than the fact that the act stops a fight because it is a foul.

I thought you might have fallen into the above catagory, sorry for the confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

I never seen Sell look so ordinary. In fact, he looked like a novice.

Lavigne was about to stop that fight at the start but changed his mind quickly when he thought Sell wasn't that badly shook up! It wasn't such a bad decision either.

The only disturbing part is the amount of strikes Sell took to the head while holding on to Brown near the end of that round. Did Sell even get one punch off in that fight?

Lavigne gave Sell a chance to recover but Sell never did. He was punch drunk. If Sell went on to win that fight it would have been considered an even worse decision so it could have been worse.

Speaking of refs, Herb Dean is my favorite. I think he's hard to beat. He takes no crap & stands fighters up when they waste time on the ground. He has excellent judgement most of the time. John McCarthy is probably the best though! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

barochoc wrote: »
    Lavigne was about to stop that fight at the start but changed his mind quickly when he thought Sell wasn't that badly shook up! It wasn't such a bad decision either.

He actually stepped in and stopped the fight, and then changed his mind. Matt Brown was stopped from hitnng Sell, and lost a further few seconds while trying to understand what Lavigne was doing. If Sell had regained his composure, and won the fight, it would have been a travesty as Brown could well have finished the fight if it hadnt been interrupted

Advertisement