Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Controller better then 360's

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I feel the design of the PS3 controller s really starting to show its age and is been kept because it is iconic and has a strong brand loyalty attached to it. the 360 on the other hand is ergonomic and well thought out.

Having said that the PS3 controller is much better for Fighting games, I pity anyone trying to play SFIV on xbox with that dpad, and how anyone can use the sticks for that stuff is beyond me. the Bumper buttons on the 360 are also pants.

I'm blessed with small hands so neither causes me any discomfort except in particularly long sessions and even then its only the PS3's incompetent L2 and R2 that cause problems, must get some of those trigger add ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Eh it was never good. There was outcry at how bad the original PS1 controller was. It was too small, only had 4 face buttons and the d-pad was pathetic. You have to remember that when it came out it was being compared to the excellent snes and megadrive 6 button and the main competitor was the saturns glorious pad.

From component point of view (saturn d pad for example) the controllers you mention are indeed superior but from an ergonomic point of view I much prefer holding the original PS controller than the snes or the saturn pad. It is more comfortable to hold than both others.

As you've pointed out before, component design is pretty fcuked these days anyway due to companies having licenses on certain types of d-pad and the likes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Having said that the PS3 controller is much better for Fighting games, I pity anyone trying to play SFIV on xbox with that dpad, and how anyone can use the sticks for that stuff is beyond me. the Bumper buttons on the 360 are also pants.

I pity anyone using the PS3 d-pad for fighting games like street fighter 4. It's bloody awful. The 360 d-pad is useless for them as well. However the PS3 d-pad is only slightly less useless. It's still useless. I remember getting the street fighter anniversary editions for the PS1 and only playing them about twice because it was just impossible with the awful PS d-pad. You need a stick or decent pad to play SF4 properly imo.
    Vegeta wrote: »
    From component point of view (saturn d pad for example) the controllers you mention are indeed superior but from an ergonomic point of view I much prefer holding the original PS controller than the snes or the saturn pad. It is more comfortable to hold than both others.

I really can't agree less. The SNES and saturn pads are two of the most comfortable pads I've ever used. Anyone that says they prefer holding the PS pad over the saturn one really hasn't got experience using one because you will be hard pressed to find anyone that used a saturn for any lenght of time not praising it probably the best joypad ever made. The PS pad is just too small for me and after extended play sessions I used to get pins and needles in my fingers until I got used to it (well into the PS2 era).

I really can't agree less. The SNES and saturn pads are two of the most comfortable pads I've ever used. Anyone that says they prefer holding the PS pad over the saturn one really hasn't got experience using one because you will be hard pressed to find anyone that used a saturn for any lenght of time not praising it probably the best joypad ever made. The PS pad is just too small for me and after extended play sessions I used to get pins and needles in my fingers until I got used to it (well into the PS2 era).

And I think you are romanticising the pads, especially the snes pad. The blister machine that it is.

As I've said the Saturn pad has better components which puts it far above the PS pad in terms of usability but for out and out comfort, it is simply not ergonomically as sound as the PS controller (for my hand size at least)

I find it conflicting that you criticise the PS controller for being small but praise the snes pad which is of very similar dimensions I think.

I pity anyone using the PS3 d-pad for fighting games like street fighter 4. It's bloody awful. The 360 d-pad is useless for them as well. However the PS3 d-pad is only slightly less useless. It's still useless. I remember getting the street fighter anniversary editions for the PS1 and only playing them about twice because it was just impossible with the awful PS d-pad. You need a stick or decent pad to play SF4 properly imo.

You're right of course, anyone wanting to play seriously, especially online will need to get a proper arcade stick. That aint me however so I manage to get by with the pad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I am too used to the Playstation joypads now that nothing else feels right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

CombatCow wrote: »
    Yeah im talking about these specifically, once you try them you wont go back.
    realtrigger2.jpg

I dont like the 360 triggers, their like something from a nerf gun :pac:
    Oh yeah, I know what you meant, they're Giotek or something like that, right? What I was asking was what exactly is wrong with the triggers the way they are? Is it just the fact that they curve in? When I read people say that their fingers 'slip off' the triggers I just can't fathom why that would happen. But like I said, perhaps I just hold the controller a bit differently or something along those lines.

Surely this is all down to personal preference in the end, it bothers me when people speak to you like you don't know any better because you prefer controller X or Y. I'm not convinced that one controller can be empirically demonstrated to be better than another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

CombatCow wrote: »
    Yeah im talking about these specifically, once you try them you wont go back.
    realtrigger2.jpg

I dont like the 360 triggers, their like something from a nerf gun :pac:

CombatCow is right. I've got these and if I ever lose them the controller will never feel the same again.

On the contrary, no mini controller add-ons will stop me from saying the Xbox controller is a lot better than that of it's Playstation brethren/

GothPunk wrote: »
    Surely this is all down to personal preference in the end, it bothers me when people speak to you like you don't know any better because you prefer controller X or Y. I'm not convinced that one controller can be empirically demonstrated to be better than another.

That's a very valid point and obviously backed up by posts above. Peoples hands vary in all dimensions so one controller does not fit all.

There are ever lasting truths though, based solely on functionality and have nothing to do with layout position or size, such as the 360 d-pad being junk. It simply doesn't register an action sometimes. It's not toooo obvious in some games where say equipment is linked to the 4 directions and you just have to push it again and it's not utterly game breaking.

Apply that to fighting games though and it becomes very unreliable and annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 26,252 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The 360 Pad feels nice and weighty (DS3 did add some weight to it to be fair) and I do love the triggers for FPS. I hate the 'jewelstone' butons though - much prefer the PS and the shapes.

I don't play many fighting games but I admit to having difficulty pulling off moves that required diagonals in SS2THD..ABCDEFGH.

I know Fifa forces you to use the Sticks but PES doesn't and I love the directional buttons, they just feel more precise.

I must get me a set of those triggers but tbh I wish the R2 and L2 were still the same as they were on the PS2, especially for football games. It is simply too far to push down if you want to do a snap curling shot on PES for example.

I am surprised Retr0, thaqt you found the PS1 pad too light but not the SNES one, I second the blister point with those pads also..although will qualify that with the fact street fighter was prob my most played game on the console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

GothPunk wrote: »
    What I was asking was what exactly is wrong with the triggers the way they are? Is it just the fact that they curve in? When I read people say that their fingers 'slip off' the triggers I just can't fathom why that would happen.

Fingers slipping off the triggers was never an issue for me, it wasn't why I bought these addons either. It's a simple example of the principle of a lever. The lip on the trigger addon allows for a greater level of sensitivity when depressing the trigger. It completely changed how well I was able to make minor adjustments to the triggers in games that utilized it, like race games.

Also, for finger placement, I never have my index and middle fingers on the shoulders (I've never seen anyone who does) and some games require all 4 buttons to be used separately (resistance 2 being an example) I only use my index fingers. These trigger addons allow me to use the first joint on my index fingers for L1 and R1 and then the tip of my index finger for L2 and R2. With the convex design of the triggers, this isn't possible without the addons creating a portruding lip.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Gaeldor68

I feel the design of the PS3 controller s really starting to show its age and is been kept because it is iconic and has a strong brand loyalty attached to it. the 360 on the other hand is ergonomic and well thought out.

I'm not sure I agree with the whole showing it's age thing tbh, if it was a megadrive controller and you said to me it was showing its age I'd say ok but not the DS3. Did you see the early shots of what the controller was going to be like? a F***ing BOOMERANG! I do like new things and somethings i update because the newer one is sexier but as the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it.

One size fits all rarely fits all, airplane seats the perfect example my knees are half way up the person infronts ass, but both controllers seem to be ok for everyone to a certain extent

Gaeldor68 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree with the whole showing it's age thing tbh, if it was a megadrive controller and you said to me it was showing its age I'd say ok but not the DS3. Did you see the early shots of what the controller was going to be like? a F***ing BOOMERANG! I do like new things and somethings i update because the newer one is sexier but as the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Well the fact that it hasn't changed a single bit in 15 years means its missing 15 years worth of ergonomic improvements, the 360 controller was a slight variation on the original xbox controller that was still identifiable as an xbox product and improved the functionality and ease of use of the controller. I'd like Sony to do the same thing and I'd like them to do it this generation please.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Gaeldor68

Well the fact that it hasn't changed a single bit in 15 years means its missing 15 years worth of ergonomic improvements, the 360 controller was a slight variation on the original xbox controller that was still identifiable as an xbox product and improved the functionality and ease of use of the controller. I'd like Sony to do the same thing and I'd like them to do it this generation please.

Well I wouldn't say not a single bit has changed Triggers? Wireless? PS Button?
    Do you find it uncomfortable? or are you just demanding it to change because the competition changed?
    There are third party controllers that are of various shapes have you tried any of them?
    I'm not too familiar with the original xbox controller but as far as I'm concerned there is no more functionality in the 360 one then the PS3 one.
    I'm not sure if they advances in ergonomics over the past 15 years has been the greatest thing if the latest big thing is the Wii controller.
    As I said they did attempt to change it for this console but there was uproar because people liked the one they have now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

noodler wrote: »
    I am surprised Retr0, thaqt you found the PS1 pad too light but not the SNES one, I second the blister point with those pads also..although will qualify that with the fact street fighter was prob my most played game on the console.

The PS1 is light, flimsy and uncomfortable. The SNES one is small and light but just feels better madeand it'comfortable. A SNES controller can withstand a nuclear blast while my PS3 dual shock feelslike it will fall apart after 1 controller tantrum.

As for the blisters? You can't call yourself a gamer unless you've had a arrow shaped blister on your thumb from the d-pad. Carlsberg don't do blisters but if they did...

Gaeldor68 wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't say not a single bit has changed Triggers? Wireless? PS Button?
    Do you find it uncomfortable? or are you just demanding it to change because the competition changed?
    There are third party controllers that are of various shapes have you tried any of them?
    I'm not too familiar with the original xbox controller but as far as I'm concerned there is no more functionality in the 360 one then the PS3 one.
    I'm not sure if they advances in ergonomics over the past 15 years has been the greatest thing if the latest big thing is the Wii controller.
    As I said they did attempt to change it for this console but there was uproar because people liked the one they have now.

You've somewhat missed my point, in design terms it hasn't changed a bit, neither wireless nor the PS button make any difference to the design of the pad, the way its held or how the buttons are used. As for the triggers, they have changed slightly, not for the better however.

The 360 controller improved upon the functionality of the original xbox pad by relocating some of the buttons and changing the shape of the pad slightly, making it easier to hold for longer periods. In my experience the 360 is easier to use for longer, hence increased functionality.

Don't get me wrong, I like the DS3, it rarely causes me problems aside from the convex thumbsticks, however I feel the 360 pad is superior and it got to be that way through a process of evolutionary design undertaken by microsoft, I would love Sony to do the same simply because I think they could make a better controller if only they wanted to. The boomarang/horseshoe design is not what I am talking about, that was a publicity driven mess that quite clearly was completely unusable as a controller, unsurprisingly it never saw the light of day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

As for the blisters? You can't call yourself a gamer unless you've had a arrow shaped blister on your thumb from the d-pad. Carlsberg don't do blisters but if they did...

Guilty bloody gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭atat23

Last time I used an Xbox controller was last gen, my bro in law had a big one and a small one, with my smaller hands I preffered the smaller controller but the buttons themselves felt really plasticy or something, they just didn't feel like they depressed enough either. Maybe they 360 controllers are different so I can't say.

So in saying that, I'm obviously going to say I prefer the PS controller because of the size and feel but mainly because I'm use to it.

I actually hated the Giotek triggers when I first used them, they seemed to stick out too much but now I can't play without them, I find myself pressing too hard though, causing them to dettach from the controller, maybe it's just wear and tear and they have loosened from overuse, time to get some more.

I also find myself using my Sixaxis more than my dualshock, my dualshock eats the battery power in no time and I prefer to play wirelessly. The sixaxis last longer but even when it runs out I find it hard going back to the dual shock because it suddenly feels so heavy so I end up just plugging the cable into my sixaxis :D

The Wii controller is fairly awesome, I can't imagine using it for every game, like the turning in FPS's is terrible, it worked well for metroid actually but it was friggin perfect for Zelda. Also the fact you can go old school with the nunchuk dettached is a really nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I much prefer the 360's controller, I do notice that my arm starts to hurt if I play the PS3 for too long, while all day sessions on the 360 leave my arm/hand feeling grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

mcgovern wrote: »
    I much prefer the 360's controller, I do notice that my arm starts to hurt if I play the PS3 for too long, while all day sessions on the 360 leave my arm/hand feeling grand.

I'm the same, i've been playing my PS3 a lot ore than my Xbox recently and notice my hands tart hurt/cramp a bit after playing for ages. While i can play all day with an Xbox controlller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I did an article on this recently.

I own all the consoles and while the PS3 controller is grand, the 360 one is better. It's downfall is that the face buttons are not sensitive, so games that want to have a depressive-A button to slowly let you accelerate rather then using triggers can't. Instead they're just on/off, no middle bit. The PS3 does have this...

The 360 is just more comfortable and seems to have been made to improve on the Playstation idea. Much more suitable. I want Sony to rip it off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I prefer the 360 pad for MW2 and most FPS games. Third person, or fighting games, I'd go with PS3.

If I however want to simulate ironing, cleaning windows and folding clothes, the Wii remotes are grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tentpole

Otacon wrote: »
    I personally prefer the PS3 controller. Reason?

1. I had been using this style of controller for years. It fits into my hands like a glove.

2. I prefer the weight of the controller as it is light-weight but not flimsy.

3. The directional pad, though not fantastic, is still a lot better than the 360 version for SFIV.

4. Charging the controller is very easy. The lack of a battery pack also means that my fingers are not obstructed at the back.

Anyway, its not like the PS3 controller is without issue, but above is why I prefer it.

quite reasonable, kudos!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Is there much difference between dualshock3 and the six axis one? The six axis feels hopelessly light, only started on my ps3 today but I much, much prefer the 360 controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

siblers wrote: »
    Is there much difference between dualshock3 and the six axis one? The six axis feels hopelessly light, only started on my ps3 today but I much, much prefer the 360 controller.

Six Axis has no built-in rumble. Dualshock does. and doesn't feel half as light as the six axis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

I picked up the MW2 combat controller for the PS3 and it feels great. Kind of a cross between the 360's and PS3's. No rumble, and the analogue sticks don't work all that well. Too bad the build quality wasn't up to the standard of first party peripherals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

What do people think of the Dreamgear Shadow controller? The analog sticks are in the same place as the Xbox controllers and its bigger than the sixasis with more grip

Advertisement