Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Controller better then 360's

Options
  • 08-12-2009 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I have found a lot of people for a long time now saying that the Xbox 360's controller is better then the PS3s. However I find that the PS3 one is far better. I own all 3 consoles and I find the Wii one very awkward. The 360's one I wouldn't say it's uncomfortable but in comparison to the PS3 one it just doesn't feel as right. Maybe I just have giant hands but the power block just gets in the way of my fingers and does cause discomfort after a certain period. With the PS3 controller on the other-hand I have always felt that the it is the right shape and has the better layout.

Basically I'm wondering does anyone else in the world, or at least in the boards community, feel the same as me? or am I alone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I always prefer the ps3 controller because of it's simplicity (no extra buttons on the back or anything), but I prefer the analog stick on an xbox controller because of the way it's curved inwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

My mates always pick at the rubber bits so his end up a bit like that anyway.

I myself have no preference but tend to lean towards the Playstation controller.

I have used it since the days of the PSX and even during the 2 weeks my xbox was working I was always more comfortable with the playstation one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I for a long time was a fan of both the ps3 pad and xbox 360's. I own both. I've had debates with people that prefer one over the other, basically with me sayong they're prqctically the same pads. But now, a year into my ps3 ownership I try avoid buying games on ps3 if they,'re avalable on xbox I'd rather that. The 360 pad is so mich more comfortable I feel. The analog controls on the ps3 tire my hands out fast. I love the PS3 has free online play. But I dread playing FIFA now as my hand cramps. So I'm considering selling my ps3 and getting fifa and an xbox live subsription. I hope nobody that I debated the ps3 and xbox controllers in the past is reading this heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

I find that they suit certain games, although I'm basing this on the ps2 rather than the ps3 pad mainly, since I haven't played a huge amount of ps3 yet.

The 360 is perfect for fps games, but for driving I don't like the triggers and love the classic burnout system on ps2 of pulling the stick back to brake and forward to accelerate. I am not however, aware if this is still standard practice for driving games, haven't played one on the ps for years! PS pad was waaay more comfortable for gta4 as well. And I sincerely regret getting tekken 6 on xbox and not playstation, fighting games are horrible on xbox.

Considering that pretty much everything is either a fps or uses those controls though I guess the xbox wins, but I'm happy with either really.

Oh and for football and most sports (except the new NHL system) I prefer the ps pad as well so... tough call!

I will add that I have unnaturally small hands so every pad feels right to me, seems like people with bug hands have an issue with one of the two for some reason.

So I see it as Dreamcast > xbox = ps3!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I haven't used an XBox controller for any great time, but even picking it up in the shop, when I was looking at buying a console, it felt all wrong to me. Maybe with usage over time I'd have found it better, but after a PS1 and 2, the PS3 was more natural. Also, big difference between the original six axis and the Dual shock 3 - DS is bigger and heavier, and feels much, much better in the hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

My hand is sculpted to a PS joypad anything else is just weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Gaeldor68

My hand is sculpted to a PS joypad anything else is just weird.
    That is basically the perfect description of how I feel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I must say I love the trigger buttons on the Xbox as your fingers are sort of hooked on to them, really handy for mad sessions in COD, where as the PS3 L2/R2 are crap in comparison. But you can buy triggers to put on them so I guess that problem is solved there.

The Xbox controller is way too heavy and the battery pack just gets in the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I personally prefer the PS3 controller. Reason?

1. I had been using this style of controller for years. It fits into my hands like a glove.

2. I prefer the weight of the controller as it is light-weight but not flimsy.

3. The directional pad, though not fantastic, is still a lot better than the 360 version for SFIV.

4. Charging the controller is very easy. The lack of a battery pack also means that my fingers are not obstructed at the back.

Anyway, its not like the PS3 controller is without issue, but above is why I prefer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah definitely agree with points 2,3,4. Also The DualShock3 was a big improvement over the sixaxis. The L2 and R2 addon triggers for the controller are much needed tho.

CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The original PS controller was designed around a d-pad and the 4 face buttons, that controller was glorious.

I'm not exactly sure when they introduced the analogue sticks but it was after nintendo N64 and maybe around the time of the Dreamcast too.

They shoe horned the sticks onto the controller and I have never felt they are laid out very well. The controller is still orientated for the pad and face buttons and using the sticks feels a lot more un-natural than many of the more modern stick controllers.

I think the PS controller design is dated and needs to be updated, especially when it comes to triggers and sticks.

EDIT: Ah it seems they have addons for triggers, a step in the right direction imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

CombatCow wrote: »
    The L2 and R2 addon triggers for the controller are much needed tho.
    I hear people say this a lot about the Dualshock, and I don't quite understand it. That being said, I do think that they don't give enough resistance so I modded mine with springs from a ballpoint pen, which feels much better. This is the same reason why I don't like the 360 controller triggers and brackets, they just feel really flimsy, there's little resistance behind them. Perhaps I should give modding my 360 controllers a shot as well. It could just be that I hold the controller differently from some folk.

I always thought that the 360 controller was better suited for bigger hands, but the OP contradicts that. I'm basing this on the fact that the OH doesn't like the 360 controller as she says it's too big and bulky, I've heard quite a few people say this and they all had smaller hands than me - someone who finds the 360 controller quite comfortable to hold and use. I think that a lot of people may not adjust the way they hold the controller - with the 360 controller I wrap my hands around it tightly whereas with the Dualshock I'm holding it more loosly. There was a thread on NeoGAF about this a while ago that explains what I mean much better (with pictures).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah im talking about these specifically, once you try them you wont go back.
    realtrigger2.jpg

I dont like the 360 triggers, their like something from a nerf gun :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,853 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Always hated the playstation pad since it came out. It was way to small, 4 face buttons meant that capcom games were out of the question and the d-pad is a terrible design. The d-pad is far better than the 360's but it's still terrible. The dual shock was another horrible design with two analogue sticks just bolted on to the controller. It's only really accepted because it's been the controller most people have used in the last 10+ years or so. Just look at it's competition from the previous gen, the Gamecube and Xbox s-controller, much better controllers. It's a terrible design and I'm disappointed with Sony going for it again. The 360 controller loses out with a slightly crappier d-pad but in every other way it's better. It has good heft to it, is the right size and decent analogue sticks.
    Vegeta wrote: »
    The original PS controller was designed around a d-pad and the 4 face buttons, that controller was glorious.

Eh it was never good. There was outcry at how bad the original PS1 controller was. It was too small, only had 4 face buttons and the d-pad was pathetic. You have to remember that when it came out it was being compared to the excellent snes and megadrive 6 button and the main competitor was the saturns glorious pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Larkin91 wrote: »
    I always prefer the ps3 controller because of it's simplicity (no extra buttons on the back or anything)

They have exactly the same amount of buttons :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Topics been done to death at this stage... for me it will be the 360 controller (don't even own a 360, but have 2 of the controllers for the PC). Ergonomically, aesthetically and technically I find it superior to the PS3 controller.

EDIT: from that neogaf thread, this post is hilarious :D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18512898&postcount=34

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I despise the PS3 joypad. I own both a 360 and PS3 and will always go for any multi-platform game on the 360 - just because of the joypad. The PS3 controller is outdated and in desperate need of an overhaul. The analogue sticks are spongy and unresponsive with a massive deadzone and the triggers are just awful.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    They have exactly the same amount of buttons :confused:

Think he is referring to the Wii controller there. Buttons at the back and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Having played with many controllers over my long years of gaming, it'll be a long, long time before my Wii-remote and nun-chuk are pried from my cold, dead hands. If I was to pick a conventional controller, I'd go for my Virtual-Boys one...that just melts into my grasp!

Back on topic, 360 controller is far better than the PS one, yet still both being amateurs... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Much prefer the feel of the PS3 controller in the hand. Except for the "triggers"

I get cramps if I use the Xbox one for long periods of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Otacon wrote: »
    I personally prefer the PS3 controller. Reason?

1. I had been using this style of controller for years. It fits into my hands like a glove.

2. I prefer the weight of the controller as it is light-weight but not flimsy.

3. The directional pad, though not fantastic, is still a lot better than the 360 version for SFIV.

4. Charging the controller is very easy. The lack of a battery pack also means that my fingers are not obstructed at the back.

Anyway, its not like the PS3 controller is without issue, but above is why I prefer it.

1. I've been using various controllers for years, and have always felt that the PS series of controllers were the most uncomfortable to use... They're about as ergonomic as a lump of coal!

2. Funnily enough, I find them too light and flimsy feeling (the six axis definitely is, anyway)

3. That's great for 1 game that you'll actually use the D-pad for... For everything else you have to uncomfortably reach for the left stick, instead of having it right under your thumb ala the 360 controller.

4. Never had an issue with 360 battery pack, and at least they provide a cable long enough to charge while playing

The 360 controller just does everything better as far as I'm concerned, but then again, this is in the PS forum, so I'm sure I'm in the minority here...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ItsNoAlias

Much prefer the 360 controller due to my huge hands and it feels... I dunno meatier. PS3 is just to small and the analog bars are in a horrible position. Course the Dpad on the 360 is attrocious so i guess ps wins that round...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Does anybody use the d-pad for anything other than menu navigation these days though?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

koHd wrote: »
    Does anybody use the d-pad for anything other than menu navigation these days though?

It's uses on the PS3 are limited tbh. Can't say I use it much at all. That being said, I do prefer the D-Pad for Wipeout HD, but that's probably only because I originally played Wipeout with a PS1 controller that didn't have analogues.

I think the point about it being better for fighting games is moot. Been to a fair few Street Fighter meetups and the PS3 crowd largely use sticks, whereas there are a few in the 360 crowd that play the game, really well, with the 360 controller because of its superior analogue stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 padraig61091

Larkin91 wrote: »
    I always prefer the ps3 controller because of it's simplicity (no extra buttons on the back or anything), but I prefer the analog stick on an xbox controller because of the way it's curved inwards.
    yeah i dont like the ps3 analogues either but u can easily swap them around all u need is a screwdrive and a bit of sandpaper or nailfile (and a ps3 and 360 controller of course)

tman wrote: »
    1. I've been using various controllers for years, and have always felt that the PS series of controllers were the most uncomfortable to use... They're about as ergonomic as a lump of coal!

I have also owned many different types of controller. NES, SNES, Mega-Drive, N64... I got my 360 Elite less than a year ago. I just do not like the controller. As for the Wii, I need to have my hands next to each other if I am using the Nunchuck to make it feel natural!
    2. Funnily enough, I find them too light and flimsy feeling (the six axis definitely is, anyway)

The SIXAXIS is too light, no doubt, but I haven't broken one yet. TBH I consider the DS3 as the PS3 controller now so the SIXAXIS doesn't really come into it for me.
    3. That's great for 1 game that you'll actually use the D-pad for... For everything else you have to uncomfortably reach for the left stick, instead of having it right under your thumb ala the 360 controller.

That includes fighting games, driving games and football games, pretty much every gametype I play besides shooters.
    4. Never had an issue with 360 battery pack, and at least they provide a cable long enough to charge while playing

I didn't get a charging cable in my pack, unless you're talking about the rechargeable packs you buy separately.
    The 360 controller just does everything better as far as I'm concerned, but then again, this is in the PS forum, so I'm sure I'm in the minority here...

The OP himself mentioned how most people prefer the 360 controller and was asking if anyone else agreed with his preference, so no, you are not in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Gaeldor68

Also theres a lot of moaning about the triggers but again I'm a guy who likes to use the old L1 aim and R1 shoot. I just think it's better.

And I just edited this in as I say Otacon said, too lazy to quote, it that with the Wii controller them being separate part is just freaky. When playing Dead Space: Extinction I have to hold the numchuck to my chest so it won't move round because it just feels too strange
    ItsNoAlias wrote: »
    Much prefer the 360 controller due to my huge hands and it feels... I dunno meatier. PS3 is just to small and the analog bars are in a horrible position. Course the Dpad on the 360 is attrocious so i guess ps wins that round...

I feel the opposite to be honest, as I said I have big hands and i just feel like the controller gets in the way with the Battery and even my fingers hit off the battery when I pull the triggers, which is really annoying.

I know I never do but my friend still uses it to play FIFA with which I think is gas but then again he's a complete wierdo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I find the 360 far more comfortable to use and more precise for fps games.

I can remember my hands aching when playing through Resistance 2. Saying that, the foam add-ons really helped.

Gaeldor68 wrote: »
    I know I never do but my friend still uses it to play FIFA with which I think is gas but then again he's a complete wierdo

I take exception to that! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 padraig61091

allot of games use it for stuff like picking weapons quick or other actions like that usally you just dont realize that your pressing them because there not a big thing like the analogues which u always have ur finger on i know in metal gear solid u need to use it allot for weapon switching and codec messages

Advertisement