Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games that changed gaming!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I mean if you go way back, you'll find them quickly. Doom, Mario, Dune II, Zelda, Commander Keen, etc.

But while a lot of those games shaped the genres there were others after them that have come and Changed those expectations, not just mimicking them. Starcraft really redefined what a great RTS should be; Metal Gear Solid re-shaped the action adventure (in fact, Konami is a constant source of Action Adventure joy); Final Fantasy (in particular 7 and 8) Really opened up this idea that games could engage you on an almost emotional level/evoke an emotional response that wasnt just fear or excitement...and that they could also last an insane length of time @ 60~80 hours on your first run through. And Half Life was one of the first major FPS titles that really sucked you into a narrative instead of just fumbling down corridors picking up passkeys and shooting zombies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Overheal wrote: »
    I mean if you go way back, you'll find them quickly. Doom, Mario, Dune II, Zelda, Commander Keen, etc.

But while a lot of those games shaped the genres there were others after them that have come and Changed those expectations, not just mimicking them. Starcraft really redefined what a great RTS should be; Metal Gear Solid re-shaped the action adventure (in fact, Konami is a constant source of Action Adventure joy); Final Fantasy (in particular 7 and 8) Really opened up this idea that games could engage you on an almost emotional level/evoke an emotional response that wasnt just fear or excitement...and that they could also last an insane length of time @ 60~80 hours on your first run through. And Half Life was one of the first major FPS titles that really sucked you into a narrative instead of just fumbling down corridors picking up passkeys and shooting zombies.

Thanks for mentioning Konami, that got me thinking...

They really revolutionised the "Soccer Game" market, with the International Superstar Soccer series, lets not forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Legacy of Cain series, voice acting has excellent for a game back then! Sonic, Command and conquer and half life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Pong
    Space Invaders
    Tetris
    Donkey Kong
    Doom
    Half life
    Oblivion

And I agree with the Goldeneye remarks - only brought console gaming into the realm of (then) two year old PC gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

- Gran Turismo (with brand new dual shock analogue controller). A new level of control over vehicles in racing games. Paying attention to things like 'weight shifting' actually mattered. The importance of the 'braking game' was far above that of other racing titles I had previously experienced - you couldn't, generally, barrel through corners with impunity.

- Jet Set Radio

- Left 4 Dead - "No, if you internet jackasses are getting through this campaign, you. are. going. to. cooperate!"
    See a few mentions of Gran Tourismo. Just curious as to why? I'm not fan of the series so i don't know it that well but there's nothing in GT i hadn't seen previously. Heck games like Indycar Racing have been doing what GT did imo successfully way back in MS-DOS days (they just don't look as pretty obviously). For popularizing the genre no doubt, but i don't think it introduced much in terms of gameplay that hadn't been seen in some form or other previously.

To quote the OP as people might be forgetting what was asked:

"What games changed gaming for you, games that you will always remember and games that changed people as kids."

"what games directed you towards the games you play today?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Otacon wrote: »
    For me, it was the first game I played that had a strong, compelling blockbuster-esque story, wrapped in gameplay that really showed what stealth could do for gaming.

While other games had some of these elements previously, MGS was the first time I experienced them, so agree with paddyirishman.

Pretty much it. Metal Gear Solid combined so many elements from other games, added in a great storyline, great action sequences etc. And it constantly changed the gameplay. Not to mention it completely turned the game upside down at some points. Unplugging your controller to beat a psychic. Reading your memory card. Moving your controller. Telling you not to use a turbo controller thing for the torture sequence. I know I'd never seen anything like that before.

Fair enough, there were probably stealth games before. And it may not have done anything truly original. But it combined so many elements and it never felt like they were forced in. It kept finding ways of changing little things and forcing you to think differently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I cannot believe nobody mentioned GTAIII.

It wasn't the first, but it was the catalyst for the whole open-world genre. We'd still be playing corridor shooters without it.

i think zelda done it before any of the gta's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Indianapolis 500
    Doom
    Sim City 2000
    Elite
    Sonic
    Street Fighter 2
    F-Zero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Quake

Being able to look up and down, jump, swim, physics, look etc, also with a rendition chipset it was beyond mindblowing in 1996. It advanced music from dodgy midi's to CD too. Half life /CS for the physics engine at that time. Every other advance since then in FPS's were not as groundbreaking. Crysis may also go on the list too I spose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

here is the games i invested serious time in to date
    Duck Hunt
    golden axe
    super mario
    c&c
    halo 1 and 2 (the rest are ****)
    wow
    cod mw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Starcraft, clearly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Otacon wrote: »
    wrapped in gameplay that really showed what stealth could do for gaming.

While other games had some of these elements previously, MGS was the first time I experienced them, so agree with paddyirishman.

But MGS is a game/series where stealth (loosely using the word) is only applied because the developers give you a gimpy view that means you can never really plan ahead and you have creep about. And stealth imo doesn't = hiding under a ****ing cardboard box ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

MGS
    ****GTA 3****
    Final Fantasy 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

But MGS is a game/series where stealth (loosely using the word) is only applied because the developers give you a gimpy view that means you can never really plan ahead and you have creep about. And stealth imo doesn't = hiding under a ****ing cardboard box ffs.

lol in fairness that rarely works :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Come on! Stealth isn't part of the game because of the camera view. The camera view is the way it is because of the stealth element. It means you can't just keep running about the place, you have to constantly stop and take a look around. It MAKES you plan ahead.

And the cardboard box is only a small element of the stealth, and in fairness, I rarely ever used it. Its not an essential part of the game and you're not forced into it. Its another way to play the game, if you so wish. Thats another great thing about MGS, it gives you loads of options to get to the same goal

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I see what you did there...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Fifa

EA changed gaming for the worse in my opinion by normalising the release of totally unessential sequels... Releasing 3 identikit games (road to the world cup etc) in the same year and having the public still lap them up is just plain shocking.

Nintendo seem to have lead the pack with their transitions of 2D franchises to 3D... Metroid Prime, Ocarina of Time and Mario Galaxy all showed how it should be done (yes, I said Galaxy, not 64!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ge6rge2515

Pong (1972): One of the earliest arcade games, it laid the foundation for the gaming industry and popularized the concept of video games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Necro thread.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement