Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games that changed gaming!

Options
  • 07-12-2009 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

I can't see any thread on this but i was wondering, in your opinion, what games changed gaming for you, games that you will always remember and games that changed people as kids.

Im thinking along the lines of,

Mortal Kombat
    Super mario
    Half life
    Sonic
    counter strike

what games directed you towards the games you play today?
    Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Fracture wrote: »
    what games directed you towards the games you play today?

Anybody remember the Half Life Demo all those moons ago...thats where my FPS days began - there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Dune II. Made RTS' what they are today, precursor of C&C and everything. God I miss good old Westwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Gran turismo, tony hawks, GH and The Sims, and WoW I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Tomb raider
    Elite
    Starglider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Wolfenstein 3d - invented the first person shooter. (Made it a viable genre, to be more accurate)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

3DataModem wrote: »
    Tomb raider
    Elite
    Starglider
    Despite the fact that it was released so many years ago, I think I've yet to come across a game that really felt as free as Elite :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Thief The Dark Project.....

There was no really decent stealth games before this came along...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Ufo: Enemy Unknown (AKA X-Com)
    Quake (Boards wouldn't exist without it)
    Prince of Persia (not the new one)
    Zork
    Civilization
    Counter-Strike
    Sim City
    Steel Panthers

I could go on, they all played their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Street fighter (flawed but a sign of genius to come)
    Sonic (feel the speed)
    Gran Tourismo (incredible detail)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Tomb Raider: "No seriously dude, jump into the water, swim towards one of the sides so the camera gets really close up, now just turn her around... how awesome is that!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I cannot believe nobody mentioned GTAIII.

It wasn't the first, but it was the catalyst for the whole open-world genre. We'd still be playing corridor shooters without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Dues Ex--so many different ways to play this game every time..
    Will I go the stealth root with cloak, stealth pistols etc or go all out assault with rocket launchers, plasma guns?
    Tell me one other game where in multiplayer I can cloak, high speed running and jumping with silent steps and uncloak in front of someone and stick a throwing knife right into their face?

Even to this day there are still deus ex multiplayer games out there..
    And for all the MW2 players out there bitching about COD6...imagine how we felt when we were told Deus EX2 was a console port with unified ammo (only 1 kind of ammo) and no multiplayer?:mad:
    About 10 times worse but at least Ion Storm learned a lesson,.,they went bust shortly after making this decision.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

For me, Guitar Hero 2 took over my life for a long time. Definetly changed the direction of my gaming. Street Fighter 4 has also taken up large quantities of gaming time, it's the first fighter I really got into, great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Definitely baldurs gate.
    Never played an rpg before except for final fantasy 7.
    Someone said this game is like FF7 but with FIVE discs.
    So i got it, loved rpgs ever since

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ItsNoAlias

Spunge wrote: »
    Definitely baldurs gate.
    Never played an rpg before except for final fantasy 7.
    Someone said this game is like FF7 but with FIVE discs.
    So i got it, loved rpgs ever since

+1 for Baldurs gate and the stoy of FF7 was brilliant.:cool:

I would say Suikoden 1 and 2 being as you could play as so many characters. First time I had ever come across something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Doom. First shooter that had LAN death match on the of

Half life for being the first gps with a pretty good story and ground breaking ai at the time.

Diablo 1: first rpg I played by coop LAN and by LAN I mean serial cable with two other people! We were poor teenagers and couldn't afford network cards. One of the first major online RPGs. Though I suppose MUDs beat them by a few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Goldeneye not mentioned yet?

Manual aim, magazine caps, varying damage with hit point, complex tasks, multiplayer with some actual realism.

Set the bar a lot higher for the fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

console fps maybe, otherwise no.

WoW

Street Fighter 2

GTA 1

Super Mario

PAC MAN

Goldeneye not mentioned yet?

Manual aim, magazine caps, varying damage with hit point, complex tasks, multiplayer with some actual realism.

Set the bar a lot higher for the fps.

Shooting hats off people with abnormally large heads = win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Mario, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Sonic, Smash Bros, all spawned about a million clones.

Resident Evil made survival horror games viable.

Doom, Quake, Half-Life made FPS what they are today really.

Duke Nukem introduced was one of the first FPS that had stuff other than violence aimed at an older market (lets face it the violence wasn't really aimed at a higher age market).

Red Alert perfected RTS at the time and set the bar for years and not even the same team could replicate its success.

Civilisation games made turn based gaming fun (depending on who you are).

Sims made gaming more mainstream (watered down depending on view point). So popular that no matter Spore did, it was never going to replicate its success.

GH made rhythm based gaming appeal to guys.

GTA for bringing us more open worlds even if they are very limited still :P

Mirrors Edge brought us a modern FPS with the goal of not shooting and a very innovative immersion system for trying to bring across the sensation of speed.

Gran Turismo revolutionised racing games on consoles. Grand Prix series did it on PC IMO

I think Left 4 Dead will be the next series to revolutionize gaming with the next few releases or maybe updates making a game that really is never the same twice except obviously for a lot of texture reuse :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Metal Gear Solid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Jet Set Willy and Manic Miner - paved the way for platform games

Lords of Midnight

The Hobbit

Descent

Elite

R-Type / Uridium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Xwing Vs Tiefighter: first PC game that had a multiplayer focus over a single player campaign.

I remember all the bitching about it back in the day. Load of people without dialup who expected a New Xwing or Tiefighter with a good single player campaign.

Spose it's success proved you could make an online focused multiplayer game and ignore single player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Gran turismo, tony hawks, GH and The Sims, and WoW I guess.

See a few mentions of Gran Tourismo. Just curious as to why? I'm not fan of the series so i don't know it that well but there's nothing in GT i hadn't seen previously. Heck games like Indycar Racing have been doing what GT did imo successfully way back in MS-DOS days (they just don't look as pretty obviously). For popularizing the genre no doubt, but i don't think it introduced much in terms of gameplay that hadn't been seen in some form or other previously.

See a few mentions of Gran Tourismo. Just curious as to why? I'm not fan of the series so i don't know it that well but there's nothing in GT i hadn't seen previously. Heck games like Indycar Racing have been doing what GT did imo successfully way back in MS-DOS days (they just don't look as pretty obviously). For popularizing the genre no doubt, but i don't think it introduced much in terms of gameplay that hadn't been seen in some form or other previously.

IMO When GT came out, it had the best car handling out of any game and insanely good GFX for the time it was out, it's one of the main reasons car games became as popular as they did, that's just IMO though, i could understand why some people don't like it.

Should have mentioned Track and Field on the Commadore 64 was an awesome game.

uberpixie wrote: »
    Xwing Vs Tiefighter: first PC game that had a multiplayer focus over a single player campaign.

I remember all the bitching about it back in the day. Load of people without dialup who expected a New Xwing or Tiefighter with a good single player campaign.

Spose it's success proved you could make an online focused multiplayer game and ignore single player.

Almost single-handedly paved the way for MW2 then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    console fps maybe, otherwise no.

That's gaming elitism at it's worse. Easily the best FPS on any medium at that stage and completely revolutionized the film franchising aspect of games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Golden Axe!

Sonic the Hedgehog and Mario Kart

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Metal Gear Solid

What has metal gear solid changed? It still seems to sit on its own in what it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Metal Gear Solid
    Ciaran500 wrote: »
    What has metal gear solid changed? It still seems to sit on its own in what it does.

For me, it was the first game I played that had a strong, compelling blockbuster-esque story, wrapped in gameplay that really showed what stealth could do for gaming.

While other games had some of these elements previously, MGS was the first time I experienced them, so agree with paddyirishman.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement